Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

change spark plugs on 2001 Caravan

sanddogsanddog Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
On a 2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl does anyone know how to get to the back spark plugs.On older models you could get them from under van but that isn't possible on newer models..Thanks

Comments

• Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    radius bones broken and have a hinge permanently installed, you can access those plugs easily. I don't really know the quick answer there - I managed the service department for a Chrysler store in PA, and my techs always whined when they had to do plugs on the 3.3 and 3.8 - even the old school guys!
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Some sideways V6's can be "rolled" a bit from the firewall to allow more arm room. It has to do with 2x4 lumber and careful leverage.
  • Options
    kirbstoykirbstoy Member Posts: 53
    I think the use of 2X4's should be limited to knocking some sense into the engineers that design such junk. I almost bought a new Caravan until I sat in the driver's seat, closed the door and was hit in the left knee by a poorly designed side-rest (where the power-window controls are located). I decided to wait for the new Honda Odyssey with 245 HP and a 5-speed automatic.
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    On "Shadetree Mechanic" they changed plugs on a 3.3L Caravan. They complained about the difficulty until they removed the intake plenum that sits on top of the fuel injection unit (the cast aluminum thing - I'm sorry, I know what it is but I'm lost for words today).

Anyway, remove that and you'll find the rear plugs much easier to change. Also gives you a reason to clean the intake runners and plenum.
  • Options
    gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    the plugs on this type of motor every manual I read said access from underneath yet I assesed the situation and took off the air cleaner assembly and wella I could get to the plugs from the top and torque them to specs real easy after I thought about it for about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    This problem is not the property of Chrysler. I first ran into the spark plug rear bank problem as it concerned a Chevrolet my cousin owned. A Mercedes mechanic friend of his changed the plugs, and used lumber to roll the engine forward a slight bit, for clearance AFTER removing a brace that would otherwise prevent the lever from operating.
This discussion has been closed.