Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Probe Oil Burning

dan1975dan1975 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am considering purchasing a ford probe, in the range of 1995-1997. I have read many posts stating that the probe tends to burn oil. Is this problem specific to the V-6 or the 4 cylinder engine as well?

Comments

• Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    My '88 Ranger was an oil burner from day one. Also had the 2.3 on a '74 Pinto. Engine was junk then. May be a different engine now though. Since they could not get it right from '74 to '88, there is no reason to think it is any better now. Can you tell I'm no longer a ford fan?? Sorry.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    All 1995-1997 Probes have Mazda engines in them. Both the V6 and the I4 are good engines; they are both Mazda designs. The Ford 2.3L is completely different than either engine the Probe. Advice: Stay away from the 4 cyl automatic cars, they use a problematic Ford auto transmission.
  • Options
    kojak74kojak74 Member Posts: 6
    My wife has a 94 Probe, 5 speed 4 cyl. She has owned the car since new. Almost nothing has gone wrong with it and she has gone past 130,000 miles. We did not have to add oil between changes (5,000 mi) until recently, about at 120,000 miles. A quart about every 1,000 miles is no problem.
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but oil consumption in my '93 626 (2.0-liter I4, same as the base Probe) was essentially nil, even at 88,000 miles, when it was traded. And I seldom hear from anyone with one of these engines with any problems with oil burning.
  • Options
    steveb26steveb26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Ford Probe with 45,000 miles. It has been a great car and uses little or no oil between changes.
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    can't imagine why....LOL
    last ford product i owned, or will ever own was the Mercury cougar ('92) with the v-6. was great till it hit around 40K, then it would use a qt. every 3K right on up to the time i got rid of it, which by then it had 115K, but still only used a qt. every 3K. so it did remain consistant. don't know much about the 4 cyl. version of what you are looking for, but if it's any thing like what "adc100" describes, i'd stay away from it. you sure you really want a Probe anyways?
This discussion has been closed.