Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Cobra and SVT Cobra

Comments

• f1julesf1jules Posts: 288
    The new Cobra has an iron block instead of aluminum so that will add some weight. Also the supercharger and all the plumbing for the intercooler would have to add a few lbs. Even with the extra weight this car should be a screamer if the hp numbers are correct.

Heck, the crapmaro weighs about 3500lbs so with 200lbs more weight and 80 more hp that's a trade I'm willing to make.
  • The current generation Mustang GT weighs in at 3200-3300lbs with an iron block. So I still don't understand why the new Cobra has become such a porker - although the addition of an iron block certainly won't help keep weight down.

All that extra weight is not going to have positive impact on handling and braking. Even so, the new Cobra does look to be an outstanding performance car - I'm just a little disappointed with its excessive heft.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    True, the SOHC GT has an iron block. Add DOHC heads the before mentioned supercharger/intercooler, IRS rear, heavier T56 6 speed trans and I'm thinking 3-400 pounds sounds about correct over a standard GT.

I "think" the '03 Cobra is around 200 pounds heavier than a current Cobra. Block, trans and charger easily account for that.

BTW, my MINT '97 Cobra is now officially for sale!!!!
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/? srv=parser&act=display&tf=/

features/autoshow2002/coverage/chicago/posted/

coverage_02_07_3.tmpl

You'll have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser. I couldn't post the exact link since it was too long.

"SVT Mustang Cobra will be able to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds"

That blue is a sweet looking color!

• boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Around $35,000 is the word.

Isn't that too much for a Mustang? Even a Cobra?
  • Leave it to Ford to make sure Mustang topped Camaro in the "Final Round". But I also think there was another model besides Camaro that Ford Had to worry about and thus the big boost in power for the Cobra. Of course I'm talking about the Mach-1. With it's Cobra engine and "live" axel
    the Mach would have bested the Cobra in straight line performance, probably the only thing that matters to most of us 'Stangers anyway. Too bad for those bow tie boys. They must watch in agony as GM kills off thier car while we bask in the glow of the best Mustangs ever produced. There was a rumor a while back that the current generation Mustang would be sent off to pasture with a limited run of Boss 302 reincarnations for '04. (4.6's stroked to 5.0) Haven't read anything lately. Is this project shelved.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Maybe ford is trying to convince those camaro and firebird fans to come aboard. The combined sales of people who buy base mustangs and people who buy top spec camaros would be a good combination.
  • no way are true ls1 fans going to buy a 36G ford. They would rather save 5 extra G and get the next vette
    36G? For the convertible isn't it? Camaro SS's were well in to the 30 grand mark weren't they?
  • the + is for the options im sure they will have, yeah the SS was just below the 30G mark, 6 grand less...also it is possible to talk doen corvette chevy dealers, its not possible to talk down something more limeted like a cobra, and besides who would want that 3660 lb monster anyway...its a brick

Not to mention they will blow up if struck from behind
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/01/30/mustang.htm
  • >no way are true ls1 fans going to buy a 36G ford. <

Perhaps not, but there are plenty of casual LS1 fans out there who will readily switch, given the alternatives that they will have after this year. And the car has enough pop to attract the attention of a few Vette buyers as well. And even at $35K it is about 12 to 15K less than a Corvette. In fact I would say Chevy is going to have to up the power ante on the Vette 'cause at 390 HP Fords new Pony is just too darn close to a base Corvette.
  • According to this months MM&FF, Ford has announced they are pushing back the introduction of the new Mustang platform until 2005. I knew as soon as GM dropped the F bodies, it would take the pressure off of Ford and we would stop seeing continuous improvements in the Mustang. I for one am and have always have been a Mustang owner, but I never doubted for a minute that the only reason Ford kept improving the Mustang was because of the Camaro and Firebirds. Now that GM has decided to drop those units, it is unlikely we will see the same level of concern by Ford about Mustang upgrades. The loss of the F bodies, should be mourned as much by Mustang fans as F body fans IMO. Next thing we will hear I suppose is the disbandment of the SVT Group. Ford Jr is a tree hugger, so I doubt that the SVT group has a friend in Court with him at the helm.
    The current mustang is on a platform how old? The reason it does so well is that there is nothing else with the performance for the price. (there was the F bodies, but GM so poorly packaged and developed them that they were not that desirable) With new cars entering this segment soon, ford could fall way behind. They would do well to engineer the next mustang to compete with the new 350Z. It should lean more to the sports car side rather than just being muscle car.
  • From a price and performance stand point, I think the top end 2003 Mustang (Cobra) will blow the top end 350Z so far into the weeds they won't even both with comparison tests in magazines. The 2003 Cobra with an advanced IRS, 6 speed tranny, a DOHC 32V V-8 equipped with an Eaton blower pumping 390 HP is going to be one mean machine. It is going to take a Z06 Corvette or Viper to put it on the trailer. So I think a better comparison will be the Mustang GT, against the 350Z, from both a price and performance stand point.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    As much as I appreciate import engineering, I have to agree. Even in its current form the Mustang does not have too much to worry about from cars like the Z. A standard Bullitt GT will have no problem keeping up with a 350Z while drawing as much attention, having space for two more in the back, and costing a lot less. Obviously it will suffer in some other areas, but the sheer discrepency in power vs price makes the Mustang a seller for years to come. The 350Z would have to get to 60 in the mid 5s and do the 1/4 mile in the mid 13s stock off the lot to have a chance of competing against Mustangs in the minds of the typical GT buyer, given what the 350Z costs and given the expected dealer gouging that isn't there with the GT and Cobra trims.
  • the Fbods have long exceded the mustangs in performance/price, and look where they ended up?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Yes, and we all know why. Mustang was a much more livable car.

It also happens to be a more livable car than almost all 2+2 import coupes on the market, especially when it comes to rear seating. It's far more livable than the 350Z, which as a two-seater automatically gets relegated to the specialty aisle of the mass market.

This is not a knock on the Z by any means. Rather, I am saying that the Mustang has a few inherent strengths (utility + torque + low price) that in combination make for a very strong package that the 350Z isn't going to steal the spotlight from, since it's likely to be inferior to a Mustang in all three.

Put differently, Mustang will probably outsell the 350Z 3-to-1 or 4-to-1. Why threaten that by turning it into a dedicated sports car and narrowing its appeal? The beauty of the Mustang is the extremely large range of folks that it appeals to. That's also the bane of the 350Z an in fact of the old Z, RX-7 and Supra as well - the very narrow audience.
    The highest spec 350Z might compete with the cobra and on the lower end the GT.

I am not saying change the whole formula of the mustang. I just think that they should work the dynamics a little more so the GT mustang can gain a whole new segment of buyers. (those who might get a Z) You could sharpen up the handling and response without losing your audience, you might even make a bigger fanbase. They are still selling the soft tuned V6's to satisfy the masses.
  • TO revdrluv ~~~>>>>They are still selling the soft tuned V6's to satisfy the masses.<<<<<

And they will continue to do so. It's their bread and butter vehicle that has allowed Mustang to survive and partially support the SVT group that turn out the "Fun" cars for Ford. It all makes sense to me. I don't think the Japanese have figured this one out yet. If the ergonomics and quality issues had not been so pronounced and glaring with the "F" bodies, I think GM would not have discontinued this model. GM was basically following Fords formula for the Mustang. They just didn't have the proper low end product that Ford had to offer. You are never going to sell enough SS Camaros and/or Mustang Cobras to keep the production lines going profitably. Hence you better have a highly desirable "Peoples Car" in the model line-up to carry the day. Long live the V-6 Secretaries Mustang coupe. It has allowed Ford to continue to offer the Mustang model and more importantly the Mustang Cobra.
  • The mustang GT does have many traits that allow it to sell well, but I think you are under estimating how well the 350Z will do. Nearly everybody who has seen it has liked the looks, and for a few people, their only athstetic complaint is the looks of the door handles. I also believe this is what makes the V6 mustang sell so well. It is a very attractive car!

While the price/performance of the Cobra is far exceding the top 350Z trim level, the base models are competitive very well in performance. Both models are very good lookers too, which will only allow them to compete better. what I think you are failing to see though, is that once you get into the driving enthusiasts territory, which would mean the cobra and the 350Z track model, you have two completely different cars that appeal to two completely different people. And the small numbers of these sold wont be nearly as significant number of base models sold.

I think because of this, the sales will be very competitive, if Nissan can keep up with demand.
This discussion has been closed.