Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima v. Mazda Millenia

Comments

• getz1getz1 Posts: 63
    I have never found the maxima to be squirrley nor noisy on the highway, the only time you will notice the rear beam is if you hit a large pot hole or bump while cornering aggresively. Dollar for dollar, millenia included, show me a car other than the maxima that gives you a 6-speed MT, limited slip differential, a slew of luxury options, plus 255 hp engine that delivers a 0-60 time of 6.0 seconds and a quarter mile of 14.77, skid pad 0.82g and 70-0 mph in high 170 ft. range(C&D). These numbers put the max in the same league as a V8 mustang. The TL-S is close but good luck getting one for 26 grand which is the going rate for a loaded max. The only deal close to this is the WRX, but no available leather, sunroof, HID, etc. along with less seating. As far as being non-competitive, last time I checked it was the best selling V-6 sedan in NA. The millenia is nice, but performance wise it is quite a few rungs down the ladder.
    -Getz
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    I think that you meant that it was the best selling V6 IMPORT in North America.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    well, read my post again and pay attention. I said "... but not for me. " If HP per $ were the only issue, we'd be all driving Mustang SVT or some other dinosaur like that.
    I test drove both Millenia S and Maxima SE and GLE in the summer of 2001, and AT THAT TIME MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE was by FAR the Millenia. Two significant factors in favor of the Millenia: it was effortless, straight and true on the highway like a German car (both Maximas I drove required countless small steering correction all the time to keep them going straight... just like the 1990 Stanza I once had - with which, by the way - the Maxima still shares significant number of switchgear elements), and it cornered much better than the Maxima. Millenia stayed completely flat, and I was comfortably going 10-15% faster around corners than in the Maxima. Acceleration wise it was more than enough for me.
    Both Maximas also had a lot more road noise - that's a factor for me, too.
    Take it easy,
    Tomek
    P.S. Sorry for the uppercase, but I'm trying to make a point. Again.
  • Is a great car for what the dealers give them away for (that's why my wife has one). Usually around $23-25K. At anywhere near their MSRP...I would not give them a second look.
    Exactly. Agreed. I like bang for the buck. But in a couple of years it'll be BMW 330 for me - so overpriced that it is the exact opposite of value :-)
  • If you want BMW 330i performance at a value price, give the Infiniti G35 a try (if you haven't done so already).
  • getz1getz1 Posts: 63
    Noted that all your comments reflect personal bias, as demonstrated by your underlining, caps, use of exclamation points, and liberal addition of the letter O. However I was posting because I felt (a subjective feeling mind you) that several of your comments were of mark regarding the maxima. I believe that you will have quite a difficult time finding any numerical evidence supporting the superior cornering ability of the millenia as compared to the max, along with your description of the many corrections needed while trying to keep the nissan in a straight line. As far as shared switches between the stanza and the maxima- I can't comment, but who cares. I find the interior quite up to par. I would also be curious about road noise comparison if you can find the numbers, along with what cnsumer reports has to say regarding reliability. And considering the dollar for hp comment, if you are comparing the maxima along with the mustang to a dinosaur, you might as well toss the old millenia into the same category. But to each his own. A 2 second difference to 60 mph is a good enough reason for me to buy the max over the millenia, aside from acceleration they are fairly similar.
    Later
    -getz
    Thank you for finally noting that I was conveying my personal opinion - my liberal use of uppercase, underlining etc. did have the desired effect. You even said what I was saying all along - to each his own. Glad you understand, as a fellow disnosaur club member (maxima, millenia and ford mustang)
    :-)
    Tomek
    Speed,

in 2001 I did test drive Acura TL, and TL-S, and Maxima. Plain and simple, for the money, Millenia S was the best deal AND I liked it the most. I won't go into details and analyze it to death, but ... the Maxima was just plain awful (IMHO!, before you start flaming), TL had a seat I hated (you don't sit in it, you're perched on it - I just wouldn't be able to live with it) and TL-S was 8-9K more than the Millenia when my trade was considered.

Now, how can you compare it to BMW 330i? That's a $45K car. $45K!!! Almost 2 Millenias S. And they do sell it within $1.5K within sticker. BTW, today at lunch I test drove BMW 325i (2002 leftover) and yes, it's a nice car - but it has a fatal (again, for me) flaw - the thing revs at 3600+ RPM going 70-75mph. Try to take it on a longer trip, and you'll vibrate for hours after getting out of the car. The sticker was only $33.5 :-)

So, is Acura NSX a better car than the Millenia? Sure... unless you want to put 2 pairs of skis in it !!! And it's not selling well, and it is being redesigned. How did you end up comparing it with the Millenia again? Never mind.

OK?

Tomek
  • Lets just forget about troll68.
    The Millenia is still a remarkable car.

Funny thing happen the other day-I was in the Trumbull Mall (Connecticut) and the three cars were parked next to each other.The Bimmer,The TL and The Millenia.Out of no where my wife says to me "WOW, thats a nice looking car".The Millenia caught her eye instantly and to be honest with you,it really was the better looking car.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I'm a new Maxima owner I would agree that the Millenia is better looking than the Max (although I still like the Max looks) and a better deal if all you're looking for is leather and climate control. I ended up with the Max because of the greater power and larger cargo capacity. Pros and cons.
    When passing you I'll make sure I have extra clearance while you're trying to keep your Maxima going straight (I know, it is difficult) :-) take it easy,
    Tomek
    P.S. That 330i ... maybe in 2 years. We'll see. After test driving the 325i, Saab Aero and Subaru WRX (all stickshift) I got back into the Millenia and appreciated it even more (for the money, too).
    Go and test drive 2002 Millenia S - if your Millenia experience is with pre-2001, then we're talking different car here. Maybe this is why our opinions differ so much. For 2001 Millenia got reworked suspension, body stiffness was increased 35%, and it got those wonderful Optitronic gauges (electroluminescent, like in Lexus ES300). Especially the 01/02 S model has very much different character that 2000 and earlier. Take it for a spin and run around some bends - corners completely flat, and run it up to 100mph on the highway (just don't get a ticket and don't crash!). Then tell me what you think.
    Tomek
  • You know why I get bent up over the silly comments some of you TROLLS make on the Millenia, because I am 100% sure that none of you have ever owned the car.
    I can proudly say that I owned a 1999 MAZDA MILLENIA for three years and I know that this is a car that was put together exceptionally well.

So don't come on to this board talking about Bimmers and Maximas, check out the numerous complaints that owners find with those cars, you hardly ever hear MILLLENIA OWNERS complaining about faulty this and faulty that with their cars.

Try owning one before you start complaining about the car.
  • Tomek,

I have a 2000 Maxima SE and a 2001 Millenia P and the Maxima drives just as straight as the Millenia, so please let's cut out this ridiculous nonsense that the Maxima doesn't drive straight.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    If Millenia came with 260HP and a 5 speed you would be singing it's praises. The only drawback to the Millenia is that it is not a hotrod, and that is what draws some people to the otherwise inferior Maxima.

The sophistication of the Millenia's suspension outshines the Max, as does styling and interior appointments. It is imaculately assembled and finished. Reliability wise CR says it is "OUTSTANDING". Carpoint backs that up. One uses owners as the source, the other uses professional mechanics.

I wanted a luxury (near) car, not a hotrod. I believe I got the superior car, hands down, and ignoring price.
  • According to the EPA, the Millenia is considered a compact sedan, while the EPA rates the Maxima as a mid-size sedan. This is somewhat deceiving considering that the Millenia is a lot longer, but as you know the EPA rates cars based on interior volume not external size.
  • Let's not start with superior/inferior stuff. If the Millenia was SO superior the dealers wouldn't be trying to give the car away and it wouldn't be scrapped in favor of the Mazda 6. The Maxima on the other hand is one of Nissan's top selling vehicles for 20 years now, and it is going into it's 6th generation.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    In all fairness, every write-up I have read in auto mags about the Millenia has said that it's largest deficiency is it's marketing. On the other side of that, Nissan never had a problem with Maxima commercials.
  • Marketing?. All the marketing in the world couldn't make me buy a Millenia anywhere near it's MSRP of $28K. For that kind of money there are a lot of choices out there much better than a Millenia.