Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2003 Saab 9-3

Comments

• Options
    machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    I went to test drive it and I couldn't even find where the key went......LOL!
  • Options
    machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    Geez, I just found out it was made in Sweden.... LOL!
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    had a nice review, the frame is is 4x more rigid than the old one.And no torque steer :).pricing from $25,900 thats more accord range than euro cars really....

DL
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I could be wrong, but in a country that gets a lot of winter weather, doesn't it make sense for their auto manufacturers to cater to that market by offering a lot of FWD and AWD vehicles. Doesn't that make sense?

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Methinks that is what the folks at Saab have said for many a year.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...the same could be said for Volvo. For years they made nothing but RWD and have only recently gone FWD/AWD AFAIK.

Here in New England we seem to have a disproportianate number of SAABs, Volvos, and Subarus. I remember a local auto writer once bringing up the differences between SAABs and Volvos on the configuration and stated that they both knew how to make a vehicle that performed in snow.

So it seems that anything will work if engineered properly and in capable hands - emphasis on the latter!!
  • Options
    rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone know the official release date of the new Saab 9-3? Also, when will the one with the bigger engine (?Aero) be coming out? I've gotten conflicting messages from my (idiot) dealer...
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The Linear is scheduled to arrive in showrooms on Oct 1rst, although I have heard that this date has been changed to the 15th. The Arc and the Vector will be available after the first of the year. Seems to me that all three models should have been ready at launch.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the Navigation system will be available for the 2003 9-3? Many of the pictures of the 9-3 that have appeared on the Web show the "cockpit" with the color, LCD Navigation system; however, the initial information on Saab's website make no mention of it being an option.

I assume the pictures I've seen are actually from the European model. I'm set on getting the Nav system, but wondering how long I might have to wait. (Spare me the Navigation debate -- I have it in my current car and I'm sold on it! I dont deny the "extravagance" arguements, but I want it...)
  • Options
    I tried to find an article to link you to, but it is gone.

I believe the Nav system will be available on the Arc and Vectra level 9-3s which will come to NA next Spring and Summer respectively. It will not be an option on the Linear which is set to hit the stores soon.

With luck you will be able to wait until next Spring. The Arc sounds as though it will be quite a nice package.

While I am not necessarily a Nav fan, I really like how well Saab integrated the Nav screen with the rest of the dash.
  • Options
    larryjorlarryjor Member Posts: 12
    I've contacted SAAB USA twice and, unfortunately, their NAV system will not be available for '03. Too bad because it does look very well integrated in the dash.

Ciao,

Larry
  • Options
    beartrax79beartrax79 Member Posts: 13
    So, what exactly is going to be difference in the 9-3 SptSdn's Arc and Vector models..? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Thanks ahead of time out there...
  • Options
    Both the Arc and Vector have the bigger engine (220 HP). My understanding of the differences(which are largely cosmetic) are these:

The Arc is more "luxury" oriented, with wood on the dash, leather seats and different wheels.

The Vector is more "sport"oriented, with alluminum (probably fake) on the dash, "sport leather seats", different wheels and wider tires.
  • Options
    Then where is the $3K cost increase? If the Arc has a better interior than the Vector, and the only other remaining difference is the 16" to 17" wheels and seats, where does that price increase come from? Is there a suspension change as well?
  • Options
    I had some trouble getting the SaabUSA build your own function to work correctly. It appears the Vector will have the sports chasis, an 1800 dollar option on the Linear, and the larger wheels. There also appear to be some cosmetic body and interior differences as well.
  • Options
    okay... now correct me if I'm wrong here, but the new 9-3 is labeled as a "Sports Sedan", yes? So, why the different sports chassis on the Vector?

I also can't get the "view all standard features" window to come up...
  • Options
    Evidently, the Navigation system, which is so frequently pictured in images of the new 2003 Saab 9-3 interior, will not be available until the 2004 model year, in which all the "electronic communications" (like hands-free phone using Bluetooth technology) will be rolled out.

I'm bummed, cuz I want all this stuff now!
  • Options
    I agree with the sentiment, but of course the answer is sales volume. A significant number of the buyers want a car that looks and sort of acts like a sports sedan, but would be uncomfortable with one that rides and handles like one. Not unlike an base 3 or C series really.

This is one area where maybe Lexus has the better idea. The ES300 is for people who do not really like to drive, the IS300 is for people who do.

Saab does not have the $s to have two sedans, so it will need to rely on variations on the theme.
  • Options
    magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    logic, beartrax, I think it's something else...

I was under the impression the reason they are calling it a "Sports Sedan" is to invoke a type of image, not an issue with the suspension. The last Saab 9-3 was not known for being sporty and the name is similar to the Mercedes C-coupe, in that the name is sort of an explanation of what the car is supposed to mean.

It's called a "sports sedan" even in England, where it should be called a "sports saloon" if it were an actual type and not a name. Also, it would have to be like "la berlina sportiva" in Italy, and so on...

It's more to differentiate the old model than anything. I think the way to look at it is "sporty" and "sportier"
  • Options
    onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    I was playing around on the 9-3 build site and I made up a Steel Gray Vector and I gotta say...I love the styling! I really can't wait to see one in person.
    Is Saab planning on releasing an AWD version in the future? The Infiniti G35 is rumoured to be getting AWD at some point and if they price out the same it'll be interesting to compare the two.

-Finn
  • Options
    onboost, I believe so. It would be a logical choice, because the Epsilon platform it was based on was designed to take AWD easily. My guess it that this capability was designed for Saab and Alfa more so than Chevy and Opel.
  • Options
    Oh, I think every version of the 9-3 will be sporty compared to most cars. But I would pop the 1.8k for the sports chassis.

I believe the awd will be reserved for the 9-3x.
  • Options
    "I believe the awd will be reserved for the
    9-3x."

That would be a shame in my opinion. For the money it seems that the new 9-3 would be an excellent choice over the Audi. From the pictures I've seen the 9-3x is a totally different class of vehicle and probably not going to appeal to those looking for stylish, sporty sedan with all weather capabilities (I live in the Northeast and my wife is an awful winter driver).
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    SAAB could have had their cake and eaten it too. The could have used the exact same body style they have now and still made it a hatchback. Just put the hinges at the top of the rear window instead of the bottom. Sure there may be some reinforcing necessary, but that would be no problem.
  • Options
    I have to agree on the sadness over the lack of AWD on the new 9-3. I'd love the sportier pseudo-luxury car with that option. I'm not a big fan of Audi overall (especially with the new booty on the A4 line - it's just hard to look at). A friend of mine has an IS300 that he swears by in winter driving here in Colorado, but I'm just not convinced that RWD will do any good here. Thus, I've began looking at this new 9-3.

I've played with the manumatics before and I like it alot (please spare the manual/automatic debate), especially with paddles. So, this leaves the Passat (almost an Audi anyway), the BMWs (too darn expensive), and now the 9-3 in my sights... which is why I'm so curious on the Vector chassis. Is it so hard to ask for a good handling luxury sports sedan that's also good in the snow?

Onboost, any clue as to the release of the AWD G35?
  • Options
    I've been lurking around on the G35 boards in various places and it sounds like the sedan might get AWD in the spring of 2003, around the same time that the 6 speed manual comes out for it.

I _really_ like the looks of the Saab, but it might be hard to beat an AWD equipped G35 as an all-weather luxury sport cruiser.
  • Options
    "A 6-speed manual is coming, first in the 350Z due out this summer, then the G35 coupe coming this fall and finally in February in the sedan, when, speculation is, the G35 may offer AWD.

The 3.5 is smooth and potent, but the G35 is designed primarily for sure-footed handling and above-average performance while sticking to the pavement."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/columnists/chi-0206150299jun16.column

• Options
    Any luxury/sport sedan is good in the snow if it has 4 snow tires. A Front wheel drive SAAB with traction control and snow tires will trounce an AWD w/ all seasons in the snow. Of course AWD w/ snows is better still.
  • Options
    I agree with dudleyr. The fwd 9-3 with snow tires will meet most people's snow needs.

Saab has always been an fwd company. Going awd may pick up some new buyers, but how many Saab loyalists would it turn off?
  • Options
    I dunno, logic1. If you were looking at a 9-3 with AWD and a 9-3 with FWD, why would you choose the FWD?
  • Options
    It's not like having AWD as an option will turn off the FWD fans.
  • Options
    I'd have to say that's debateable, but regardless I plan to walk in for a test drive on the first wintry day. I am a bit curious also on how the ReAxs will work in the snow. Anyone know of anyone else using this technology?
  • Options
    My first preference is rwd.

If I was chosing between fwd and awd, no contest, fwd. I like challenges in my life.

If I do not want a challenge when I drive, I take the damn train.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    AWD is nice, but I would never get it. It's not worth the extra bucks to me. I just want a sporty sedan with good power and great handling. The new 9-3 looks to fit the bill as a contender.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    logic1, enough challenges are already presented by many of those with whom I share the road :) I don't need help from my vehicle.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I would take front wheel drive over all wheel drive any day. AWD uses too much fuel (look at Legacy 27 mpg on highway vs Accord 34 and Camry 33) and is way too expensive (compared to snow tires which do more to help the car in the snow). I like to keep things simple and effecient. As far as AWD helping handling, that only applies for very high horsepower vehicles on low traction surfaces driven extremely fast - rally cars. Not really the case on U.S. highways. An Outback has AWD, does it handle better than a FWD SAAB?
  • Options
    I understand your position 100%. But Saab has always been a niche player. GM has to play it smart and make the new Malibu that will be based on the same platform as the 9-3 a car that the more conservative 95% of the sedan market will want to buy.

dudleyr: Good point about the mileage. A continuing complaint in the G35 forum is the poor mileage the owners are getting with the car. Knock another 1 or 2 mpgs off when it goes awd. IMO, awd's primary benefit is constancy.
  • Options
    be first here to report an official on the road sighting! Coming home from court today I noticed a shiney red sports sedan out of the corner of my eye.

At first I thought it was a 3 Series. When it came even with me, I realized it was a brand spanking new 9-3 (With regular plates too. Not a dealer car.)

Traffic was pretty heavy so I really could not stare. I like what I saw though. It has clean lines and a markedly different windshield for Saab, but still looks distinctive and like its ancestors.

The gaps are minimal. The lines from front to back very clean. Red is a little loud for my taste, but the paint really looked rich.

I will not have time to test drive one this weekend, but a test will be in order soon.
  • Options
    It must have been a GM company car. I would imagine that they are starting to be used as company vehicles in the Detroit area. Where did you see it? They don't officially go on sale to October. GM company cars can have normal plates. If it is a company car it will most likely have a bar code sticker in the lower drivers corner on the front windshield. Hard to see while driving though.
  • Options
    It definitely had normal plates. I saw it driving eastbound on I-90 adjacent to O'Hare Airport. It could well be a GM company car.

GM will frequently choose splashy colors for their vehicles as a form of passive marketing. You really notice the car in red.
  • Options
    Someone at GM parked a Pontiac Vibe in that salsa color on a busy intersection in Austin well before the car was available to 'attract interest'.

I'm excited about this Saab! European sportiness for under $30K which feels substantial... sign me up,
  • Options
    A clever, if somewhat goofy marketing technique.

You have to see the Saab in person. It is very well done.
  • Options
    I guess I'll just have to wait until Oct 1st.
  • Options
    snaabysnaaby Member Posts: 3
    I read a lot of press releases and from what I see, the 2.0T engine (210HP) will not be offered until March. Can anyone confirm this? I am really confused and in the midst buying new car. Currently, I am considering BMW 330Cxi (really wish Saab wouldn't take so long to turn their models over). My preference is Saab but only with 2.0T engine - these cars are under powered as they are. I know they fixed the torque steer, but how about the turbo lag at low RPMS???

Since I am on a Saab forum, and am a resident of the "Great White North", I can tell those debating FWD/AWD there is no substitute for a good pair of snow tires and FWD. Michelin Arctic Alpin gets me through blizzards and mountains just fine. And with the new ReAxis & yaw steer control, performance in slippery conditions should be dramatically improved - with the snow tires of course.
  • Options
    I, too, have been eagerly awaiting the new 9-3. I have heard from multiple sources that the larger engine versions (Arc and Vector) wont be available until next spring (around March).

Very annoying, given that if this new 9-3 is supposed to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. it's going to have to do so with the bigger engine.

(Also, I might add, the Navigation system, which is frequently shown in pictures of the dashboard, wont be available until 2004 model year).
  • Options
    So March delivery is true. That's too bad. Love my Saab, will probably love my new one, but if I have to wait another year for the Aero (a complete 10 years for a redesign), that's a big turnoff. so the question is - hang on until the Aero gets released? Or cash on a great deal for 2002 BMW 330Cxi?

On a separate note, does anyone out there think the last model year hatch 9-3 will be worth big $$ some day? I now reside in Toronto, but used to live in Boston before. I remember the new model year for the 900 ('94) was released and sent the older style 900's through the roof with re-sale value - sometimes 60% residual on 91, 92 models.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    My preferences for drive type are this, in order:

RWD, AWD, FWD.

However, my preferences easily become reversed with a SAAB. I would rather have a FWD SAAB than an AWD SAAB, and I would rather have an AWD SAAB than a RWD SAAB.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1- I guess you like the Torque Steer? RWD would fix that problem nicely. AWD would take care of my snow problems.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    Actually yeah, in a saab, I like torque steer.
  • Options
    good review at europeancarweb.com.
This discussion has been closed.