Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Looks pretty stylish. The back end of the 3 hatchback looks fairly weird and simple.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,733
    wht is the latest relatively official rumor on timing for the 3 to be in the showroom? My local dealer has a whole slew of 2004 M3 sedan and hatchs listed on their web site. Are they optomistic, or did the Protege 2004 models come out, and get creatively renamed by the dealer?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    bluong1:

The sedan will debut in Frankfurt. Production is another story though - as of July 31, sedan production hadn't started yet (and hatch production was nowhere near full production either).

stickguy:

stickguy, can you tell us the name & zipcode of this dealer (or URL would be even better). A lot of times, MazdaUSA's inventory search will include cars that are coming but not yet at the lot.

Realistically, expect Mazda3's to arrive in N. America in November.
  • Options
    pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/37866.jpg

Dinu posted this in the hatchback topic. Could someone tell me if these are 16" or 17" wheels? These look just about right on it, but they look like the 17" wheel style.

wongpres,

Which exterior colors are getting the blue seats?
  • Options
    "Could someone tell me if these are 16" or 17" wheels?"

The wheels on the red sedan are the 16" alloys.

"Which exterior colors are getting the blue seats?"

- Winning Blue (hatch), Indigo Blue (sedan). Winning blue is a light blue (identical to the RX-8), whereas Indigo blue is more of a Navy blue (available on the Mazda6 in certain markets, not N. America)
    - Titanium Gray
    - Arctic White
    - Sunlight Silver (sedan only, hatch gets red/black)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,733
    Maple Shade Mazda (in NJ).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Will any models have Beige trim?

Back on Tuesday to check your answer. ;)

Dinu: Maybe we can buy the "stripper", shown at the bottom of the Press Photos, and add the engine, drivetrain, fenders, and doors as "dealer installed options"? LOL! Don't forget the mud guards!

fowler3
  • Options
    to lead off with the 5-door for better press reviews and "First Drive" impressions. The sedans will come later to fill the "bread and butter" orders.

fowler3
  • Options
    (1) The sport tranny shifter looks better with the manual part close to the driver. Will be used more.

(2) The 5-door hatch is better styled than the sedan, although it has a smallish cargo area, holds two suit cases. But with the seats down it can carry more. (The two suit cases are larger than what I carried on trips to Europe for two weeks, I took only one small case on wheels.)

(3) Wonder what color seats will be in the copper hatch? I can't see blue/black nor red/black complimenting copper.

(4) I can see why carguy58 thinks the front looks like it is "missing something" with the standard grille. To me there are too many sharp points: where the headlights taper into the fenders; where the lower dummy air vents taper on the facia; and the corners of the grille. The photos are probably the Euro version and the NA version will get the rounded fog lights. With that in mind I like the points better.

fowler3
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers! By the way, do you think those wheels look the same as the ones in the other red sedan picture that was scanned from the magazine? I assume those were 16" wheels as well, but somehow they look a little different.
  • Options
    "Will any models have Beige trim?"

I asked him this question awhile back. Basically it'll be the same as the current Protege, meaning a beige interior will only be available on the sedan version and only on the i trim with the 2.0 engine. I assume the hatch and 2.3 engine s trim sedans will have either blue/black or red/black.

"Wonder what color seats will be in the copper hatch? I can't see blue/black nor red/black complimenting copper."

I think he answered this in the hatchback topic. It'll be getting red/black. Not sure why they aren't making a regular black interior or offering that purple version since it may go better with some colors than red or blue would. At least the red/black will go with all the red lighting in the interior. Also I think though the 2.0 version sedan won't have the two-tone cloth so what would the non-beige interior in it look like? All black? Well I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks.
  • Options
    And since the beige interior will only be available on the 2.0 sedan, I have a feeling I'll have to sacrifice some options to get the beige interior or take the two-tone 2.3 version and get what I want. I have a feeling I'll think the 15" wheels on the sedan will be too small (unless they only offer 16" wheels on the i trim) and getting 16" alloys on the i trim will probably be tough to get or impossible without having to take a moonroof (which I refuse to get). Also side curtains may be considered a luxury item if they go by the Mazda6 option packaging so again getting side curtains on the i trim without taking a moonroof may be impossible to get. Beyond those two things, only other thing I really want is ABS, everything else I can go without or will be standard already.
  • Options
    fowler3:

Yes, base sedans have all beige or black cloth. Beige will go with Sand Mica (same colour as on Pro) and I believe red (same colour as on RX-8). Since the N. American-spec hatches will be hotted up (e.g. skirts and sport grille all standard), our hatches will only have 2-tone cloth (or all black leather).

Almost all the info so far is on the hatch because this vehicle is being launched in Europe first and hatches will be the bigger seller over there. This is also why hatch production started first. In fact, an equivalently optioned sedan will cost about 300euro more.

Copper will get red/black interior.

USA packaging information (thanks stickguy):

I know we're not supposed advertise dealers here, but this particular one has listed some of their expecting Mazda3's, so if you go there you can 'reverse engineer' the option packaging:

http://www.msmazda.com

I haven't analyzed the option packaging yet, but right away you can see that US-spec is using i and s trims (just like the Mazda6).
  • Options
    OK, I've analyzed this particular dealer's Mazda3's and this is what I got from it:

Sedan:

Colours:
    - Sage Green is available for the US but not Canada
    - American Shimmering Sand Metallic equals Canada's Sand Mica
    - American S. Blue equals Canada's Winning Blue

Mazda3i:
    - AC is standard
    - one option package includes power windows, mirrors, and locks (and probably keyless)
    - moonroof requires the above package
    - HID, ABS/side airbags, leather and sport package are unavailable. If this turns out to be the case, I know people will be screaming about the ABS/side airbags

Mazda3s (all Mazda3i plus):
    - power windows, mirrors, and locks are all standard
    - moonroof and 6-CD are grouped together (6CD is not a factory option for Canada)
    - sport package (skirts, 17", and sport grille) is stand-alone
    - leather requires sport package
    - HID requires moonroof/6-CD
    - ABS/side airbags requires moonroof/6-CD

I'm pretty sure the i has the 2.0l and the s has the 2.3l. And I'm guessing that 16" alloys are standard for the Mazda3s

Hatch:

- only one trim
    - base includes power windows, mirrors, and locks
    - moonroof and 6-CD changer are grouped together
    - ABS/side airbags requires moonroof/6-CD
    - leather requires moonroof/6-CD
    - Xenon requires ABS and moonroof/6-CD.

This dealer did not order any with NAV.

The above information is NOT official, just my analysis from one US dealer's inventory.
  • Options
    pzev:

All of the red sedan's we've seen are from the red sedan in the spyshot. In fact, the Mazda Swiss URL that dinu posted above has a couple of pictures from the official photo shoot where the red sedan was spied.

Also, again, there is not purple/black cloth. There's only two types of two-tone cloth: red/black and blue/black. The blue/black just looks purplish in some photos.
  • Options
    Mazda3i:

- moonroof and 6-CD are grouped together (just like with the s and the hatch)

Mazda3s:

- HID requires moonroof/6-CD and Sport package
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    any NVH numbers on the Mazda3?
  • Options
    drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    Anybody out there has any word on Nav. System for the US version of the 3?
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Why would they offer a NAV system when the 6 doesn't have one?
  • Options
    I doubt power windows, power locks, etc. is optional on the i trim. If you notice in the Protege listings the dealership lists stuff like power windows, power brakes, etc. when those things are clearly standard equipment on those trims. Everything else you mention is probably right or pretty close. Moonroof and 6CD is packaged together in the Protege so that makes sense. ABS/side air bags is packaged together in the Protege. Also in the Protege you can get ABS/side air bags WITHOUT a moonroof so I hope MazdaUSA carries this idea over to the Mazda3.

This is the way they should do it. You can't please everyone but at least this keeps things fairly simple and hopefully would please most everyone.

Mazda3i:

(15" alloys standard)

- No options
    - ABS/Side Curtains
    - Moonroof/6CD
    - ABS/Side Curtains + Moonroof/6CD

Mazda3s:

(ABS is now standard, along with 16" alloys)

- No options
    - Moonroof/6CD
    - Side Curtains
    - Side Curtains + Moonroof/6CD
    - Sport Package + HID
    - Sport Package + HID + Side Curtains + Moonroof/6CD
    - everything (including tire-pressure monitor) + Leather
    - everything + Leather + Navigation

I don't see why they can't have the Mazda3i that way. Only 4 possible configurations and everyone will be happy. The Mazda3s has more options to deal with so some sacrifices have to be made. Sport Package and HID should be bundled together. Very few people wanting the Sport Package will complain about having to take HID. I think there will be a demand for an entry level Mazda3s with only the Sport Package so offer that with HID. Once you go past that you are getting into the big money and most people shopping in the economy car class aren't willing to spend huge amounts of money so once someone goes past the Sport Package + HID configuration then start piling on the options. That leaves 4 possible configurations for the Mazda3i and 8 possible for the Mazda3s which is reasonable considering all the optional equipment they're offering. There's probably a better way than this, but in my opinion this is reasonable and will make most people happy and at the same time it cuts down on possible configurations at the factory.

The reason for 15" alloys standard is to give the Mazda3 an upscale look and also by making side curtains readily available it is a step above the Civic and Corolla which don't offer it and also it is difficult to find side air bags and ABS in the Corolla. Since Mazda has no hope of selling as much as Toyota or Honda they need to stand out by having a slightly more upscale look and also having better safety by making ABS and side air bags more readily avaiable in their cars. If they can't stand out with reliability or fuel mileage, then stand out with looks and safety.
  • Options
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to have the Mazda3 with a navigation system but the Mazda6 doesn't have one. This is a situation where being built in Japan is a big advantage. The rest of the world's cars will be built right along with the US cars so it's probably pretty simple to include the Navigation system into the mix. Also HID isn't offered in the Mazda6 either. My guess is when the wagon and hatchback Mazda6 versions are released early next year that they will add navigation and HID into the lineup, if they don't then I'm not sure what they're thinking. If you go to the MazdaUSA page and go under the upcoming models section you'll see that navigation, HID, tire-pressure monitor, and stuff like that is pretty much confirmed to be offered in the Mazda3.
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Maybe I missed this earlier...but can anyone tell me what the sport grill looks like on the Mazda 3. Is it the body colored grill with the large horizontal slats or is it the black grill with the chrome "moustache"?

Thanks!
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    an email to the above mentioned dealer today. They say the new 3 should arrive in mid October. Apparently they have prices of the cars shown on their inventory. I asked about a specific one and got the msrp.
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    I wonder how willing dealers will be to accept S-plan pricing for the 3s/hatchback manual, given many are still not accepting S-plan for the 6s manual.

I'm not a big fan of the silver/titanium colors on this car which surprises me a lot, they're not flattering to the lines of the car like on the Mazda6 steel grey or the Audi A4's dolphin grey. OTOH, the red on the sedan looks great as well as the copper on the wagon, what is the name of the copper color that MazdaUSA will be using on the 3?

Wongpres, you are a wealth of information! Thanks for voluteering the info and all the heads ups! You wouldn't happen to have pricing information or will that be released at the Frankfurt auto show?

I personally will be looking for a Copper Mazda3 hatchback, manual trans, HID (without that hideous sport grille/package), 17", 6-CD, moonroof, Side Airbags/ABS and leather. Will that be possible? Likely not, with the sport package + HID combo...
  • Options
    Nix the leather seats, the black/red cloth suits me fine.

I know the press made a big deal about the 6 being able to accomodate AWD. Is the 3 configured in a similar fashion, possibly offered in the future?

Also, has anyone checked out Edmunds' 2004 TL first drive? Pretty nice :)
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "...accomodate AWD. Is the 3 configured in a similar fashion, possibly offered in the future?"

Yes, & the Volvo version will get it 1st, most likely w/ 5-cyl turbo & available manual transmission, while the 2WD in N.A gets 5-cyl w/o turbo & not available w/ stick.
  • Options
    "I doubt power windows, power locks, etc. is optional on the i trim. If you notice in the Protege listings the dealership lists stuff like power windows, power brakes, etc. when those things are clearly standard equipment on those trims."

I believe the Pontiac Vibe w/ sport package is available w/ manual windows. Maybe Mazda needs a stripped model for low-starting-price advertisement. Especially the Vibe/Matrix twin sold pretty well combined, so Mazda might want to bite a chunk out of this pie.
  • Options
    I wish the volvo cost about $5k less, the sedan's exterior looks sweet, not too sure about the center stack in the interior... My sister and her husband actually just bought an XC90 yesterday for their growing family. I can't wait to see it!

The Vibe/Matrix holds optional AWD over the Mazda3's head. I seriously hope that Mazda considers putting AWD in the 3 or the 6 for 2005 as the only manufacturers that truly offer AWD throughout their lines are Subaru and Audi.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    shado:

In the Mazda6, the optional sport grill is the body colored one with three horizontal bars. It should be similar for the Mazda3.
  • Options
    pzev:

FYI, in europe, the 2.0l version is equipped with 205/55R16 as standard. 205/50R17 is optional.
  • Options
    From Mazda3 post #1144:
    "Separate positioning of springs and dampers reduces damper frictions, but also frees space for a larger luggage compartment, while maintaining a LONG coil spring STROKE. Twintube gas-filled dampers with large-diameter (35 mm) pistons substantially improve handling and ride comfort."

"Also, has anyone checked out Edmunds' 2004 TL first drive? Pretty nice :)"

So this is what the new TL got:

"The company is very up-front about the fact that BMW, specifically the '03 530i Sport, was the benchmark for the '04 TL's ride and handling characteristics...

...SUSPENSION TRAVEL has been REDUCED 20mm, and the car has been fitted with stiffer springs and sport-tuned shock absorbers. Six-speed-equipped TLs have larger-diameter front and rear stabilizer bars...

As we drove our TL prototype on various back roads, it did indeed feel tight around the turns with plenty of road information transferred to the driver seat. Although we found it to be an easy car to drive aggressively, we're NOT ready to call it an EQUAL of the 3 or 5 Series, A4 or G35 in terms of handling. The Acura's front-drive layout is limiting from an enthusiast's point of view, but even less serious drivers are apt to notice that the TL FLOATS and BOBS over the occasional bump. This won't be a disadvantage for most people, and the payoff is excellent ride comfort when cruising on the highway.(NOTE: HWY ONLY, NOT OVER DEEP BUMPS)

...The weighting of the STEERING seemed just about right to us, but when pushing the car around turns, the rack seemed neither as quick NOR as COMMUNICATIVE as those of top-handling competitors.

...Acura will offer an "A-SPEC" kit shortly after the TL goes on sale in October 2003. Cars that get the A-SPEC treatment will be fitted with high-performance springs and shocks that LOWER the car about AN INCH, 18-inch wheels with 235/40ZR18 Yokohama tires"

So the Mazda's spring travel kept getting longer for comfort, while the Acura TL's kept getting shorter, the light-weight Mazda3 might just achieve the comfort level surpassing the new TL over bumps while providing more communicative entertaining steering/handling of a Focus(& even BMW) that Acura can only compensate w/ theater-like audio/video entertainment system? I believe the 3 has already trounced the taut-set-up(but still numb steering) Acura TSX for cuddly ride comfort except maybe over really deep bumps during hard cornering.
  • Options
    the suspension is tuned for a compromise between handling stability and ride comfort, and less exclusively handling oriented unlike the Protegé. The Mazda3 is also subjected to extensive and more advanced soundproofing measures (the list is rather impressive.) The manual transmission has cable-controlled shifting (and not rod) for less vibration. Combine all those with larger interior room, I think the Mazda3 will be very comfortable, and probably less fun to drive than the current Protegé(5).
  • Options
    Is the 3 configured in a similar fashion [AWD], possibly offered in the future?

have you seen the huge floor tunnel beneath the chassis?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,021
    so you contacted maple shade? What did they tell you MSRP was?

Since they told you mid-October, I guess I won't bother emailing them now. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    pzev:

"I doubt power windows, power locks, etc. is optional on the i trim."

Look at stock# 3157 - it doesn't have power windows, locks, etc, whereas the others do. So unless there was a typo with that vehicle, the power windows, locks, etc.. are optional on the Mazda3i.

jchan2:

"Why would they offer a NAV system when the 6 doesn't have one?"

The simple answer is that MazdaUSA doesn't make a lot of sense in many cases. Just look at some of the things on the Mazda3 but not on the Mazda6:

- tire-pressure sensors
    - NAV
    - HID
    - adjustable reat-seat headrests
    - standard optitron gauges on all models

As pzev says, because the Mazda3 is assembled in Japan, it's cheaper to incorporate these things. In fact, those white side-marker lights on the '02.5 and after Protege's will also be on the N. American-spec Mazda3 because it's cheaper & less complicated for the production line in Japan (since the rest of the world gets them, they don't have to add the complication of another fender mold).

The Mazda6 will most likely get all these goodies for the '05 model.

zaimon:

All N. American-spec Mazda3 Sport (hatch) will come with the sport package as standard equipment(just like how the Pro5 comes with skirts and so on). So, in reality, all those copper hatch images from Europe don't apply to N. America.

The copper is officially called "Sunset Orange Metallic" in Canada - they may or may not change the name for the US.

I do not yet have any pricing information (for any country). Maybe whoever emailed that dealer can release it for us.

shado4:

Mazda3 has two grilles - regular one and sport grille.

Regular one:
    - same as on the standard Mazda6 with the following 2 differences
    - mustauche is body coloured instead of chrome like on the Mazda6
    - the grille pattern is not the traditional diamond shape like the Mazda6 or Pro. Instead the pattern is just a bunch of mini-ovals (but unless you look really, really closely, people won't notice this).

Sport grille:
    - standard on the Mazda3 Sport (hatch)
    - looks like the sport grille on the Mazda6 but without the 'cheese-grator'-like holes
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'm not a big fan of the silver/titanium colors on this car which surprises me a lot, they're not flattering to the lines of the car like on the Mazda6 steel grey or the Audi A4's dolphin grey.

Actually, silver is quite often used in show cars because it highlights accent lines, curves and twists in sheetmetal. There isn't a better color for showing off a curvy new body style.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Is the 3 configured in a similar fashion [AWD], possibly offered in the future?

have you seen the huge floor tunnel beneath the chassis?"

The current Protege has a floor tunnel also, as well as the current Focus. It makes some interesting engine swaps much easier. Some Focus magazine has a Focus SVT with a 2003 Cobra Mustang DOHC supercharged V8 shoehorned in it. It fit right in there without any modification to the hood. A 390 hp RWD Focus, and it looks stock!!! Talk about a sleeper. Imagine pulling up next to a Focus and hearing a V8 burble, and then seeing it smoke the rear tires all the way across the intersection.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    If history has taught us anything, the AWD 3 will be a Japanese market only model. Hopefully, we can convince Mazda to bring the AWD 3 to North America as well.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    less fun to drive than the Pro 5".

That could be a good thing or a bad thing. The Protege fun to drive factor made it stand out. It could be a good thing also that its less fun to drive and more comfortable because I think Mazda is going more for Acura/BMW handling. You just don't want the steering to get too light. Some people disdn't like how Honda made the steering lighter on the 03 Accord from the 02 Accord.
  • Options
    "All N. American-spec Mazda3 Sport (hatch) will come with the sport package as standard equipment(just like how the Pro5 comes with skirts and so on). So, in reality, all those copper hatch images from Europe don't apply to N. America."

"Actually, silver is quite often used in show cars because it highlights accent lines, curves and twists in sheetmetal. There isn't a better color for showing off a curvy new body style."

Right when you think you have the "right" car coming to your doorstep... I appreciate the visual simplicity that the copper color lends to the hatch. I absolutely loathe the sport kits on 3 hatch. On a car that already has a lot of curves and lines, the sport kit just adds more unneeded visual junk, most of all the sport grille (will that come with the sport package?). This is almost the same complaint that many people had with the Mazda6 sport package (which I thought actually looked good on the car). Give me simplicity with this one...

What's ironic is that I may be the first 21 year old california college student to actually remove stuff from my car; hopefully all that stuff will be removable without any notice.
  • Options
    AWD on the Mazda3 would be more than enough to convince to wait a year (maybe 2) to buy a new car.

Offering optional AWD throughout their mainstream lineup would place Mazda in a market where there aren't many players but where there is significant demand; when Audi charges a premium for Quattro and many find Subaru styling not to their liking (save next year's Legacy) Mazda provides a worthy alternative - good materials/build, great styling, affordable prices! Problem is, they're just not utilizing their resources.
  • Options
    I'd be willing to assume that the 3 will still be plenty capable, especially when your other choices (in the price range) encompass the Civic, Lancer, Corolla, Neon, Impreza, Jetta etc.

Either way, as long as the car has the right mix of comfort and handling I'll be content. AWD could also alleviate some of those steering concerns.
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    "...hopefully all that stuff will be removable without any notice."

I'm with you. I'll definitely be looking into removing the sport grille and the side skirts if I buy this car. Otherwise it seems great--I almost bought a Protege5, but wanted more safety features and less noise and vibration.
  • Options
    got me to thinking. The mentally disturbed Ford freaks who took advantage of the driveshaft tunnel in the Focus and put the supercharged Cobra motor in there might have been on to something.

Who's gonna be the first one to do a Renesis or TT 13b swap into the Mazda3?

The Honda hybrids might be eating Mazda dust soon....
  • Options
    sign me in! I love everything in the RX8, beside the fact that I can't bring friends and family anywhere too far.
  • Options
    "sport grille (will that come with the sport package?)"

Yes, the sport grille is included in the sport package (for the sedan) and the sport package is standard on the Mazda3 hatch (at least for Canada anyways, but I'm 99% sure the US will be the same).

If you want the regular grille, just order the regular grille from Japan or Europe.

One thing about the skirts though. The Mazda3 skirts are much, much more subtle than the skirts on the Mazda6. The skirts can be seen on the blue hatch at MazdaUSA's Mazda3 flash presentation.
  • Options
    "If you want the regular grille, just order the regular grille from Japan or Europe."

Post an ad, I'm sure some one w/ the same color would swap w/ you. Don't waste $.
  • Options
    It's the cost of the rotary. I'll rather have it the other way around. Besides, rotary sucks in certain ways, not just weak low end, high fuel consumption, high emission that the hp # was reduced for N.A., it's also longevity or ease of repair. Get a cheaper RX-8 w/ traditional engine - the next Miata. I value RWD w/ limited-slip-differential for low-speed drifting fun more than the rotary's spinning character.
  • Options
    "It's the cost of the rotary."

I realize Mazda will never do it, I just thought it was a crazy idea, ala the Ford Focus with a 390 hp DOHC supercharged V8.

What engine do you think is more expensive, the Renesis rotary, or Ford's supercharged DOHC 4.6L V8?

I'll bet the V8 is more spendy.......
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    "One thing about the skirts though. The Mazda3 skirts are much, much more subtle than the skirts on the Mazda6."

Yeah, they don't do much for the car besides ruin the clean lines.

"If you want the regular grille, just order the regular grille from Japan or Europe."

Are the cars the same? In the press pictures of the bronze Euro 3 hatchback, it looks like the front end is a little shorter than the blue US version--less overhang, less front-heavy looking. Am I imagining it? Somehow, the the MX Sportif concept and that bronze car look much better, but I don't know if it's just the sport grille I don't like.