Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter in Southern California is looking to interview a retiree who has been very loyal to the Buick brand over the years, right up to the present. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 22, 2006 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about the topic of interest.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    "You forgot to mention its standard on Grand Prix GXP and G6 GTP as well as Lucerne CXS."

As I said, only on the performance models, not available on the ordinary models.

"Stabilitrak is available on the CTS and standard on some models. Where are you getting your info from? "

It comes only with a special sport suspension option. Not with standard suspension, according to the Cadillac website.

2.8L Standard Starting at $29,990*
    2.8L V6 VVT with 210 hp
    Fully independent suspension,
    All-Speed Traction Control,
    4-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock system
    Leather-trimmed steering wheel with programmable fingertip controls,
    remote keyless entry and more

17" WHEEL SPORT PACKAGE $1,640.00
    17" Wheel Sport Package, includes
    (TT6) Headlamps, Xenon, high-intensity discharge, windshield wiper activated;
    (QWW) Tires, P225/50R17, W-rated, all-season, blackwall; (N93) Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, machined finish; (G80) Limited Slip Differential;
    (JL4) StabiliTrak;
    (FE2) Suspension, 4-wheel independent (Y42)

Looking at the 3.6L, maybe FE2 is actually the standard suspension???

3.6L Standard Starting at $32,690*
    3.6L V6 VVT with 255 hp
    6-speed manual transmission,
    stainless steel exhaust,
    16-in X 7-in aluminum wheels
    8-way power front bucket seats,
    AM/FM stereo/CD player,
    heated outside mirrors and more

17" WHEEL SPORT PACKAGE
    17" Wheel Sport Package, includes
    (TT6) Headlamps, Xenon, high-intensity discharge, windshield wiper activated;
    (QWW) Tires, P225/50R17, W-rated, all-season, blackwall; (N93) Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, machined finish; (G80) Limited Slip Differential;
    (JL4) StabiliTrak;
    (FE2) Suspension, 4-wheel independent (Y42)

18" WHEEL PERFORMANCE PKG.
    3.6L V6 18" Wheel Performance Package, includes (
    TT6) Headlamps, Xenon, high-intensity discharge, windshield wiper activated;
    (QGQ) Tires, P225/50R18, W-rated, performance;
    (N87) Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) 9-spoke, polished alloy;
    (JE5) Brakes, performance;
    (G80) Limited Slip Differential;
    (JL4) StabiliTrak;
    (FE5) Suspension, performance-tuned and
    (UJ6) Tire Pressure Monitor (Y43)

Can't really tell from the website if you can get stabiltrak with a standard suspension.
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I believe the 18" wheel package is the more "sport" tuned suspension. Almost every CTS we have has the 17" sport package.
  • Options
    celica8celica8 Member Posts: 42
    LaCrosse Super is supposed to debut today. Any pics?
  • Options
    drjoedrjoe Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 LaCrosse CXL cruise control seems too ambitious. On far too gentle uphill inclines, it insists on downshifting to lower gears, frequently two at a time. I can turn off the cruise control and rarely find the transmission downshifting. Can the cruise control be adjusted to increase the deadband?
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    There is no home remedy for this. Perhaps a dealer could do something thru the computer but I doubt it.
  • Options
    sirius2sirius2 Member Posts: 43
    I test drove a LaCrosse last week and noticed something similar. I think the pressure setting on the accelarator pedal is set too tight. I had to push very hard to get the pedal to stay down. Maybe it's some type of safety feature, but it's a lot different driving experience than my chevy lumina (to be replaced) and Honda Odyssey (which I love except for the lack of sound deadening). I'd like to keep one American car in the driveway, but it's not easy competing against Accord & Camry which have perfected the midsize sedan.
  • Options
    sirius2sirius2 Member Posts: 43
    Please let us know when you post your article.
  • Options
    OnStar turn by turn included for one year
    New 17" painted aluminum wheels
    New 17" chrome wheels
    New 17" polished wheel
    3.05 axle on 3800
    Tire pressure monitoring system standard
    four new colors:Midnight blue, Stone gray, Midnight Amethyst, red Jewel tintcoat
  • Options
    lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    We bought our Lacrosse CXS in July 2005...slightly used..3K miles...prior to our purchase, it was sitting outside, in the rain, on the dealership lot. When we bought it, both the front and back passenger interior foot well areas were wet. The dealer explained they had just shampooed the carpet. Although we thought the areas were REALLY wet, more so than the aftermath of a shampoo, we took the dealer at his word. Eventually, the footwell areas dried out.

In December 2005, we took a long road trip. Pouring down rain for 3 days, non-stop. After the car had been parked overnight with rain pouring down on it, the next morning BOTH the front and back passenger side footwells were completely soaked--could almost see standing water!

The first dealership we took it to diagnosed the problem as a plugged drain tube from the sunroof. The car dried out but a couple months later, after having driven and parked the car in the rain for about 4 hours, same problem but this time not enough flow to reach the back foot well. Passenger front foot well was soaked.

Took it to our home dealership, they diagnosed the problem as an improperly installed part below the windshield preventing proper drainage.

Three weeks later, car sat parked for 3 hours in a hefty rain storm, front passenger foot well became soaked. Back seat was OK. Took it back to the home dealership. NOW they say they have located a factory bulletin stating something is wrong with the seal in the "A" column or post (runs from the roof to the hood) and that is where the problem lies.
    At this writing, they still have the car.

QUESTION: is this the same fix applied to your vehicle? Or should we expect more problems once we get it back?
    THANK YOU.
  • Options
    So far I have read two problems that cause water leakage like you have. One is the sunroof hose and the other the bulletin. Hopefully this is the real problem and you are OK.
  • Options
    At a press conference here, Buick unveiled its "LaCrosse Super," a high-end trim version of its mid-sized LaCrosse that will be available in the summer of 2007. Buick General Manager Steve Shannon called Super "a freshening of the LaCrosse" that's designed to give LaCrosse customers bolder styling and performance.

The Super will include a 5.3-liter, 300-plus-hp V-8 engine; upgraded brakes and suspension; plus new front and rear fascia. Buick spokesman Darovitz said the product content of the Super will be exclusive to that trim line.

Said Shah, "It's like what Denali is to GMC
  • Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Does anyone else think the Aura is making the Lacrosse look overpriced? Full pricing is out and fully loaded the aura will be at least $4000 cheaper than a loaded CXS model. On top of that you get more features and power and a 6 speed auto. The only advantages I can think of for the Lacrosse are quietness and better warranty. Not that I dont like the Lacrosse, but facts are facts.
  • Options
    where did you find that info about the super Lacrosse? I have been waiting to see a picture of this car.
  • Options
    Posted in autoweek.com no pics that I know of.

As far as pricing compared to Aura, it will depend on features. LaCrosse is a bit wider but does have less rear leg room. LaCrosse will also ride much smoother and quieter. I guess they would have different customers.
  • Options
    They may have different customers to some extent, but the bottom line is the price difference is too large considering the features are so close. THe lacrosse has always been a little pricey, even when compared to the Impala and Grand Prix, but this makes it look even worse. The only difference is that the Aura will have minimal incentives and Saturn has no haggle pricing while Buick dealers can negotiate.
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I'm not sure the Lacrosse is so overpriced. My wife's car is a CXS we custom ordered. It has all the good stuff such as stability control, XM radio, sunroof, etc. Sticker was just under 30k and we paid 27k. It is far superior in ride and noise to the mid-size stablemates like the Impala and Grand Prix. Feels much roomier than a G6, too.

Nevertheless, I like new technology and the Aura has plenty of it. I have ordered one with the 3.6 and 6-speed auto. This Fall we have them both in the stable. It should be interesting.
  • Options
    27K is an excellent price. What made up the difference? Incentives, haggling?
  • Options
    I dont doubt that the transaction prices paid for the Lacrosse are reasonable considering the content of the car, but the MSRPs are too high considering what you get. A fully loaded CXS shouldn't be more than $31k in my opinion, especially since the car doesnt offer nav. I think the pricing is the main thing keeping sales down on this car, I dont think it has anything to do with the styling, the 3800 or the 4 speed auto. Most people could care less about those things.

Buick is lucky that most people wont cross shop the Aura and the Lacrosse.
  • Options
    I believe there was a $500 regional cash back and we did get a discount from the dealer - I'm a good customer.
  • Options
    adamcadamc Member Posts: 5
    You wouldn't happen to know if there's another GM vehicle, a 2006, that is using the same stone gray metallic color that the Lacrosse is getting for 2007, would you?

I'm considering placing an order for a 2007 Lacrosse and I'm interested in this color. I definitely want to see it for myself first though, even if on a different car.

Thanks for the headsup about the '07 MY changes. I appreciate all your posts.
  • Options
    adamcadamc Member Posts: 5
    Whoops!

I'm sorry ... nevermind. Right after posting I thought to just google "stone gray metallic 2006" and found that the Pontiac Torrent has it.
  • Options
    russellmrussellm Member Posts: 5
    I couldn't pass up GM's 72 hour 0% interest for up to 72 months sale this week. I traded my 2002 Regal in for an '06 La Crosse CXL. Now that I've had it for a little over 24 hours, I have a few questions.

1. The gas pedal takes much more pressure to press down than the old Regal. At times it feels like I am standing on the pedal just to get it to move. I have drive by wire on my '05 Silverado and it takes very little pressure to press it's gas pedal. Has anyone else noticed this on their LaCrosse?

2. I just got the standard radio on it since I seldom listen to it. When I looked in the manual on how to setup the radio, what they show as the standard radio, doesn't look like mine. My radio has the extra row of buttons like the upgrade XM radio or MP3/XM radio has, however it doesn't appear to have either of those features. I was hoping it would at least had RDS, like the radio in my truck. Anyone else have the bottom of the line radio? If so does it look like the one in the manual or more like the XM radios?

For those of you with an '05 LaCorsse, does you car have A/C / Heat vents built into the rear of your console for the backseat passengers? I sat in an early release '05 LaCrosse and thought that it had these vents. That was one feature I really wanted and was disappointed to find out they didn't.
  • Options
    Hi Russellm. I had a 2005 Lacrosse company car and my wife owns a 2006, both CXS models. The accelerator pedal on both had just the right amount of resistance. I don't know if there is a difference between the CXL and CXS since they use different engines. Perhaps your dealer could adjust the spring tension.

My wife has the standard radio too. The owner's manual is confusing as it shows a base radio that is only put on fleet orders. The radio you have is, I'm sure, the base radio for non-fleet cars. It doesn't do mp3's but I thought it was RDS equipped - I could be wrong.

No production Lacrosse in 2005 or 2006 had rear seat HVAC vents.
  • Options
    russellmrussellm Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. It must have been another car that I was in that had the rear seat vents.

As for the gas pedal, it has loosened up considerably with in the first 200 miles. There should be some resistance. My truck, has almost none and when I hit a bump and if my foot moves ever so slightly, it is imediatly transmitted to the engine. Much too touchy.
  • Options
    No RDS in any LaCrosses. Sorry.
  • Options
    I have seen quite a bit about the Lacrosse super coming out next year. I hope they really do more than just add 18" wheels and the V8. I am assuming that next year the CXS will be dropped and the Super will become the top model with the 3.6 V6 becoming available in the lower model. The acceleration will be nice but you already know the Super will get knocked for the 4 speed auto.
  • Options
    jay28117jay28117 Member Posts: 1
    I just traded my 2001 Buick Regal for a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL last week. This car comes with a Driver Information Center that displays outside temperature. I noticed that it seems to take a while for the outside temperature to display the correct reading. My 01 Regal would display the correct reading by just driving a few blocks vs. several miles with the Lacrosse. Anyone else have this problem??
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,156
    It may take a mile or two before the exterior temp sensors on our two cars show a steady temperature. I don't know if it takes a while to change to the new temperature or if the process is slowed by the reading the programmer puts out just to keep the unit from searching for the right settings.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    I suppose that this is a generic question, but since I have a Lacrosse I'll ask here.

Does anyone have a recomendation for something to treat the top of the dashboard with? It looks a bit dry (color gets uneven). I don't like ArmorAll, as it seems to leave a residue on the windshield when it evaporates.
  • Options
    Also do not use Armorall because it makes it shiny!! GM spent lots of money to get the low gloss look.
  • Options
    gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    I am surprised to hear that some LaCrosse/Allure owners have a problem with noise, squeaks and rattles. I purchased my 05 Allure in December 2004 and have about 26K kilometers on it. It is as smooth and quiet today as if was when I took delivery of the car. Only the occasional plastic squeak from the the console, where it is attached to the dash. No problems at all except for a burned out tail lamp bulb, which I replaced.

I had planned to purchase a 2007 but only recently learned there is no exterior facelift as many had predicted, so will wait for a 2008 or 2009.

My Allure is the 24th new car I have purchased, 20 of which have been General Motor products (Park Avenues, LeSabres, Bonnevilles, Chrysler, etc.). I consider the Allure one of the best cars I have ever owned and will buy another one when the time comes.
  • Options
    I would guess that the Super (new fascia/grill/etc) will be introduced at Chicago or Detroit auto shows and then go into production early 2007 as a 2008 model. Then the new grill will show up on the regular 2008 models. BUT these are only guess's after reading all the media stuff.

It will be at the Buick golf event next week.
  • Options
    smithjonsmithjon Member Posts: 1
    In March I bought a 2006 Lacrosse from Goldstein Buick in Colonie, NY. So far I have been very pleased MPG is 20.6 my commute is 2.5 miles one way to work it could be better but the short miles kill mpg.
    The drivers side door handle stopped working around 2k miles but was fixed by the dealer on the first trip in and hasn't given me a problem since then. :( Never had anything that simple break that soon before.
    I am now ready for the second oil change and time to rotate the tires for the first time. Hopefully that goes smoothly as well.
    The Onstar seemed like a total waste I called for directions to a restaurant usng one of my free calls for directions and even though I was eight miles away they directed me over a route that took me thirty two miles. I have a TomTom 300 and I'll stick with that for navigation.
    I did get the one hundred minutes for the built in cell phone and that works well enough and sounds good when coupled with local Verizon Wireless service. Unless the price is really good I probably won't renew that service either.
  • Options
    jeff50jeff50 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a new 2006 Lacrosse. Can anyone who owns a Lacrosse tell how they like it, the ups and downs of having one, and your avg. gas mileage.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Mary Barra, executive director-global manufacturing engineering since July
    2004, says growing globalization at GM is a sign the auto maker is
    addressing its long-term challenges as well as its short-term crisis of
    declining sales.

As an example, she points to the forthcoming next-generation global midsize
    vehicle architecture (formerly called Epsilon) that will be used for
    high-volume cars such as the Opel Vectra, Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Malibu
    and Saab 9-3, among others.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Just some mild soap and and water using a non lint cloth should do the trick. The key is the non lint cloth. It's best to live with the dash on how it was design to look.
  • Options
    sscott3sscott3 Member Posts: 6
    My overall experience with my 05 CXS is good except for the poor gas mileage. I average just under 21 mpg with 75% highway mileage. I have gotten just under 25 on extended trips. I haven't seen anyone bragging about their mileage. Certainly stay away from the CXS with the 3.6L engine. The 3800 is a dog, but gets around 25 mpg if you can stand the poor performance. The common complaint in this forum seems to be squeeks and rattles especially in the winter. Other than that the car is very quiet. Back seat room is marginal at best. There is talk of an 07 with a V8. With cylinder deactivation that could be a good bet. If I had it to do over I would look at the Impala SS. I took a five hour trip recently in a Chrysler 300C, nice car. Very quite and comfortable. Mileage is about 17 mpg though. Look at the 3.5L V6 before opting fot the hemi.
  • Options
    Car is so quiet inside that every squeak sounds like a loid bird!
  • Options
    neshapopneshapop Member Posts: 22
    I have 2005 MY base CX model and I am quite happy with it, I wish I had 2006 with standard additional airbags and blue color but black onyx looks fine too... After 20K KM/12K mi I had average for Toronto metro area around 23-25 mpg but traffic here is just terrible (winter or construction at summer). If you drive like an old lady 60 mph on the highway you can get easily 33-34 mpg, otherwise 30 mpg. In the first month dealer replaced front bearing assy, I could hear some noise from there but inside even with old pushrod engine was very quiet. Trunk release is a bit weird and rear seat space could be better i.e. child seat fits right on but without base.

3rd. gen. 3.8L with 4 speed is a bit lazy but I believe that GM detuned the engine to meet SULEV emission standards for CA and other five states. My 91' Regal powertrain with 1st. gen. 3.8L was way more aggressive. Not a car to burn the tires and road rage but very comfy at all speeds. I have 8 month old baby and she falls asleep in no time regardless road conditions and speed. Great value for the price, even import haters at Consumer Report recommended this model.

If I have a second chance (with best equipment/options combo) my preference would be MY 2006 CXL but I got my for unbeatable price during Employee Discount frenzy.
  • Options
    After the car has been sitting overnight, and after I start it up, when I backup and apply the brakes, I hear a "thumping" noise--sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side wheel---or that trunk area---after I have driven a short distance, like .5 mile or less, the noise is no longer there when i back up....any ideas as to what is causing this noise?
    Thanks !
  • Options
    bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Does this happen every night? Do you use your parking brake?

One way this happens is when there is rain or heavy dew, and you set the parking brake. There will be a very slight difference in the rotor's exposed versus covered surface until it gets wiped smooth.

Once you are underway, driving forward, does the speed of the thump get faster as the car accelerates?? That would be a sure-fire indicator that it's brake related.

If you don't use your parking brake, try backing the car up in the middle of the day, when it's warm. Do you get the same experience?
  • Options
    This happens after the car has been sitting in the covered garage overnight; the parking brake not applied.

Never a problem with the thumping as I go "forward". Just in reverse.

No problem with a mid-day startup....just the initial startup.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I would have guessed the brakes also.
  • Options
    Try this: back the car into your garage when you park it next time. So that you can drive it out forwards, and note noises.

One thing on some newer cars is a self-check of the ABS system. Basically on a cold start, when the car reaches about 5 miles, the ABS system does a quick pulse of tbe brakes just to make sure it's working. It should be fast enough and light enough that it doesn't slow the car down noticeably. But you can hear it.

That would be a single thump though. Is the thumping continuous the whole time you're backing up?

If its just one or two thumps very close together - I think it's normal ABS operation.
  • Options
    Clarification: I should have said:
    "when the car reaches about 5 miles PER HOUR"....
  • Options
    frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    We also have a Saturn Vue, and it made a loud buzz sound when the ABS diagnostic kicked in The dealer fixed it and it is now completely un-noticeable.
  • Options
    hitman1970hitman1970 Member Posts: 33
    Bought new 2006 LaCrosse CXS from Wilson County Motors in Lebanon, TN on September 11, 2006. MSRP was $32,490. Car had every option except Stabilitrack. Black with Grey interior. Negotiated price to $30,878. Used 0% APR that was being offered. No sales tax and $500 rebate for being active military. Have driven the vehicle just over 500 miles and have loved every minute of it so far. Lots of compliments and surprised looks once they found out it is a Buick. If the quality holds up, this will be my brand for years to come. Traded in 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT with 50000 miles for $3750 too. No issues with that car, but wanted a larger vehicle this time around.
  • Options
    Update on the water leak in my 2005 LaCrosse CXS: the dealer recently did work on the "A" column. apparently there was a noticeable gap in the seam which was allowing water to leak into the passenger foot well area. The dealer also replaced all of the carpeting which had alternately become soaked, then dried, on both front and back passenger sides. However, when they took the seats out to replace the carpet, they mangled the Buick name plates and scratched the paint on the bottom of the door(s) area. And one of the workers left his/her greasy black finger prints on several places on the interior leather! Took it back to the dealer, showed him the damage/mess; they took it back in and did a good detail job/paint/plate repair and we now have the car back in good repair. It has withstood one continuous 5 hour rain without leaking. Although it took them 4 tries to get it right, I think they actually fixed the leak this time!
  • Options
    I think you are correct...just a self-check mechanism..thanks for the info
This discussion has been closed.