Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima: Stolen Headlights!!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some headlight regulation stuff at the NHTSA and some recent enforcement action taken against resellers in the US (esp. those advertising "for off-road use only"). I don't think it involves HID though; more the blue light specials?

I lost my link a while back; maybe someone has been following this issue?

Steve, Host
  • lbglbg Member Posts: 2
    Attention all Maxima owners, especially those with 2002 and 2003 models whose headlights have been stolen. I am organizing everyone to hold Nissan responsible and get them to do something about the epidemic of headlight thefts.

My lights have been stolen 3 times in a matter of months!!! At this point, I can't park my car in the street. I've already solicited professional help and our chances look promising.

To join me and get something done, email me as soon as possible.
  • lbglbg Member Posts: 2
    By the way, there are NHTSA regulations concerning a car manufacturer's obligations with respect to theft protection.
    No one can email you because your email isn't public in your profile.

And if you're soliciting others for a suit or something, well, soliciting is against the rules here. See the Member Agreement linked on the left.

Steve, Host
  • maxidriver1maxidriver1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm concerned!!! I have a 2004 Maxima SE, are the headlights here prone to be stolen too? Or just there aren't enough of the '04 around to have a statistic yet. Will it be a problem in mid 2004.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Have been shut down by the new regs. and enforcement. I know because on the RX-7 Forum many "enthusiasts" are mad they can't get them any more. They were being sold as an electronic ballast and H4 shaped HID bulb, to fit in a standard headlamp. A very bad idea, as the light emitting area is the wrong shape so the reflector design would be wrong. Good way to blind other drivers! They would also not have auto-leveling.

Still not sure where the stolen headlamp assys. would be going. Perhaps other countries where they are not available yet?
  • jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    You can't blame Nissan for your HID thefts. Take some responsibility yourself. Don’t park your car in an area where your headlights (or anything else) will get stolen. I can’t believe the posts where folks are complaining that their HIDs have been stolen multiple times! It seems like this is a regional thing… in the northeast mainly. Car stereos are stolen more often throughout the entire country but I don’t hear folks wanting Pioneer or Sony or others to be responsible for those thefts.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,229
    While I'm sorry for your loss/losses, just can't see how Nissan is responsible for ANYTHING being stolen off YOUR car. Once driven off the dealer's lot, unless it's covered by the waranty, it's YOUR problen. I, too, wonder where they go. Kinda like if a low life breaks your window and takes your radar detector. It sure isn't Cobra's, Valentine's, etc.'s fault the unit was stolen. Granted, it may not be your fault either, but that's why you have, or should have, insurance. Hmmmm, maybe it's an insurance conspiracy to raise the rates of Nissan owners.
  • hirajshirajs Member Posts: 3
    I have not received any letter yet for the "new securing devices" and new "identification technology" you are talking about. Do you have to call up Nissan people to get it for yourself or are they sending it to every nissan buyer in North-East area?
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Clearly, Nissan did not steal the HIDs; it is those low life scum of the earth thieves. However, Nissan may be deemed an "accessory to the crime" because of the faulty HID design, which makes them easy targets for thefts. All told, it takes less than 2 minutes for an 02-03 Max owner to lose his $2k HIDs, plus $2 to $3k for fixing collateral damages to the car hood and fender etc. Even a moronic thief with little or no education knows it is better and easier to steal the expensive HIDs than to jack the build-in car stereos :-)

Having said that, however, I believe Nissan is at least trying to remedy the defective design by offering Max owners, for free, the option of installing theft deterrent metal brackets and tagged HIDs (with veh. VIN) to make them harder to sell and pawn off by crooks.

Although the law is that the offering of remedial measures cannot be construed as evidence of prior defective design, it is some indication that Nissan is now acknowledging the problem and is trying to do something about it. This is the right move because Nissan does not want to face potential lawsuits (whether they are with or without merit), and by offering the free fixes, hopes to pacify the irate Max owners and retain them as future Nissan buyers.

Just my two cents; I may be completely off the wall with my comments and observations. Since this is a public forum, everyone is free to express his or her opinion, as long as it is done civilly and in good taste.
  • nisinfiguynisinfiguy Member Posts: 13
    Ok, It seems to me that the only region in the US with this problem is in NE, right? I know a few people who live down here, (Louisiana, New Orleans area) that own 02-03 Maxs that have had no problems. My main concern is that if legislation gets passed in a few states against aftermarket HIDs, that the theives will migrate if you will, to other states such as Louisiana where there are no such laws, bc the problem does not exist here. Would this really remedy the problem? I guess Im just scared because in a few months I will be buying an 02 Max, and while it is a non-issue right now, Im really scared that that it will become a big issue after my purchase.

Are there anyother cars with HIDs that are being hit? I mean, obviously theives must know that there are other cars out there that also have stnd. HIDs (MB, BMW, LEX, Acura?) I do agree with the addition of VIN #s on HIDs, but here is a problem/question, where on the light should it go? Obviously people arent keeping the headlight housing, just the bulb itself right? Where would they put it so it would be effective?
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    lbg said: I spent the last several months researching the issue

You had nothing better to do, no doubt.

I hear people complaining about the 19in wheels being stolen too. They are quite expensive you know. So are you going to sue Nissan for putting on expensive wheels? This is ridiculous!

Or what about the windshield wipers, for instance? Which manufacturer has a "design criteria" to prevent their theft. The answer is - noone. Those can be stolen too.

If you live in a high crime area, or can't afford the replacement cost of expensive parts buy a different car! Don't buy a car with HID lights and $900+ wheels (each!). Not too hard to figure that one out.
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    Please help.Had three {3} stolen lights already.Where was the job done in Broolyn. You said you had {2} places in queens that do it. What 2001 lamp assemblies should i buy? Thanks.
    where was the job done...what dealer....any of the 2001 lamp assemblies work...what was the cost. did you shop around.....i already lost three{3} lights in brooklyn....thoieves are just pulling them out ...no body damage....must be using a steel bar to crack the plastic clips...pop...then pull out ....take seconds....i am sick of this crap....now nobody wants this car ....aftermarket value is gone....thanks nissan..
    has anyone had these "fixes" installed by the dealers????how secure are they....will they work....any opinions...how do thiieves known their on??? they will still do to damage to the hood and fenders...
    i agree what is your e-mail address to join,,,thanks
    Whether Nissan's HID design contributed to the flagrant thefts is quite obvious. Clearly, Nissan wants to foster good public relations, which is important to its corporate growth and stability. Accordingly, Nissan is implementing the remedial measures by offering free (and hopefully workable) fixes to the irate 02-03 Max owners.

To put it more diplomatically, regardless of fault or the lack thereof, Nissan is bettering its corporate image by pacifying its concerned customers.
    Gathering people´s emails for a potential suit is soliciting and not permitted on Town Hall.

Steve, Host
  • tonyr62tonyr62 Member Posts: 2
    Nissan should be held responsible for a faulty design that is costing consumers thousands of dollars each day in either insurance premium increases or headlight replacement. I parked my car in my driveway not in some desolate area. Should I sell my house and move because its easy for the thieves to steal the headlights? I don't think so. Equating it to car sterios is as silly as any other reasoning I have read here. Think about this. If you were a thief would you break a car window, climb in and work on the sterio removal for 10 minutes, or would you just take the 2 minutes to pull out the headlights worth 2,000 dollars, that are so easy to remove they don't even set off the alarm? Blaming the car owner for parking in the street is like blaming the murder victim for having the nerve to use an atm. By the way...Nissan is making a killing on the replacement headlights and everyones insurance goes up every time a pair of headlights is stolen.
  • tonyr62tonyr62 Member Posts: 2
    I have heard suggestions that maybe razor blades will deter the thieves from taking the headlights. Why stop at that? why not tape a grenade pin to the back so when they pull the lights out, they pay dearly? I am exagerating of course but boy do I wish it would happen to one of these low lifes who think they can just take whatever they want, when they want it. Where is dirty harry when you need him.
  • wavi_99wavi_99 Member Posts: 3
    It is important to note that the theft of the headlights on Nissan's Maxima is due to a defect with the design of the body. A a comparison, it wouldn't be reasonable at all to expect the entire fender to come off in approx. 2 min., without sounding an alarm or other security feature. This differs from a stereo in that the car itself has locks to protect the stereo in an effort to prevent theft. The buyer can determine whether that is sufficient given the widely known problem of theft of interior accessories, in particular the stereo.

The question becomes:

At what point in time was Nissan aware of the defect in design in which the front headlights can be stolen in less than 2 minutes (at over $1,450 replacement cost, plus installation, plus repair to damaged panels/hood -- over $3,500 total repair likely)?

Did Nissan inform consumers of the defect in the manufacture and design of its cars prior to purchase by consumers?

Is it reasonable for car manufacturers to make externally facing body parts prone to easy theft? For example, would it be reasonable for the fender, body panels, or other external parts capable of being stolen in less than 2 minutes? Is there something special about headlights so that this standard wouldn't apply?

I am sure that attorneys have looked into the applicability of lemon laws to this issue, though I am sure that is a difficult application given that crime was the cause of loss. However, I believe the correct comparison is to externally facing body parts that are unproperly and unreasonably secured and protected.
  • jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    There is a defect in the brains of the thieves that steal your HID's.

You can’t hold Nissan responsible for your thefts. You have to open your hood from the inside, so the engineers were thinking a little about theft. If thieves want your HID bad enough, they will find a way regardless of how well designed the fender area of the car is. Take responsibility and park you cars in a better area where the thieves are not.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    being the smart [non-permissible content removed] who mentioned the razor blade idea, that was something i saw used effectivly on car stereos. I just wanted to say i saw a flaw in your design for the hand grenade...does too much damage to the car!!! lol
    and if anyone takes this seriously please calm down relax, we are all here to have a lil fun too arent we?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    theft of the headlights on Nissan's Maxima is due to a defect with the design of the body.

No, the theft is due to the thief. Perhaps if somebody did something about the outrageous price of the headlamps they wouldn't be so tempting to the perps.

tidester, host
    Nissan is not at fault. What I don't understand is how the "market" for used HID's came about. Who uses them. If stolen, wouldn't the owner go back to the dealer for replacement? So the thief has his set and the owner has his. Will they fit other cars?
    Oh, the windshield wipers are very easy to steal on virtually any car. So following that logic, then all cars are defective.

This is nonsense.
  • nomariannomarian Member Posts: 19
    Okay,

I have not heard of any thefts here in Houston, but it does have me a bit worried. If Nissan is giving the kits for free, I am wondering if any Nissan owner can get it and not just in the Northeast. Anybody have a phone number or website to call or go to? Thanks.
    All Nissan has to do is offer non-xenon replacements for the 2002/2003 maximas. Case closed.people will then have a choice.now they are at the thieves mercy, to steal or pass by. They offer this choice on the 2004 . I wonder why??Also ,think guys about the re-sale valve of these 2002/2003. Who would want them? Either they steal the pop-outs or damage your hood and fender trying. Who the hell would want this car......Let them sit on the used car lots???? No way..Watch Nissan then come out with non-xenons..
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    tony, your own analogy "Blaming the car owner for parking in the street is like blaming the murder victim for having the nerve to use an atm." is flawed. Blaming Nissan for headlight theft is like blaming the ATM manufacturers because people sometimes get robbed at an ATM.

The thieves are to blame. Period.

Is a bicycle maker to blame because somebody can jump on a bike and ride it away? Is a motorcycle maker to blame because two guys can lift even a locked motorcycle onto a pickup bed and drive off with it?

I will concede that perhaps Nissan used a poor design that allows easier theft. And it is smart business to step up and help owners of their products. Which they are apparently doing in NY/NJ/CT. It is smart for them to respond, but I don't see how they have any liability for thieves.

Your reasoning is quite scary if you extend manufacturer liability to unintended use or theft by criminals for other incidents or products. A manufacturer absolutely should not be liable for criminal use or theft of its product.
    Bah humbug!!!!!!. Nissan fix makes it more difficult/time consuming to take out the xenons...but now you land up with hood or fender damage. The thief has no indcation of the fix . So now we land up with body damage, but we kept our lights. Thanks. The only real fix is replacement non-xenons. Nissan can do it, I have heard that Acura went that way.
  • hrvathrvat Member Posts: 18
    There are good points made by people on both sides, but it's ridiculous to say you should "park in another area" or "where there's no thieves". It's like blaming the Central Park jogger for being raped because it was too dark outside and should have known better.

Also, to the some other posters, if we were aware of the HID thefts do you think we would have bought the car? Hellooooo!

Nissan is not the only one with HID headlights....so why is it almost exclusively a Nissan problem???

On my way to work this morning(I'm in the NE), there was another Nissan sitting in their lot with missing headlights. This epidemic is not coming close to stopping.

Any sell their vehicle? Please share your stories. Thanks.
    Simple questions, comparing and reasoning:

1. "Compare"
          a. How easy it is to steal the Nissan Maxima headlights compared with other cars?
          b. Among the cars which are comparable to the Nissan Maxima in terms of ease of theft of Xenon headlights, what is being done by those manufacturers (e.g., Acura, etc.)?
          c. Though Nissan has offered non-Xenon headlights to '04 Maxima purchasers, why hasn't it offered a comparable option to its '02 and '03 Maxima as a replacement part?
          d. At what point in time was Nissan aware of the problem with its headlights compared to when others (dealerships, car maker associations, insurance companies, police, etc.) were aware?

2. "Reasonable"
          a. Is it reasonable that car manufacturers should fail to notify customers that externally facing body parts can be removed with relative ease. For example, if the windshield could be removed in about 30 seconds, would it be reasonable to expect that Nissan should inform consumers of this fact prior to purchase?
          b. Is it reasonable that Nissan has offered non-Xenon headlights for the '04 Maxima but not as a replacement option for existing '02 and '03 Maximas? Is this a question of Nissan making a calculated assumption of cost of replacement vs. benefit of customer satisfaction, despite the lack of reasonableness?
          c. Is it reasonable to assume that this trend of Xenon headlight theft will continue and expand to other parts of the country, beyond the current NY/NJ concentration of theft?
          d. Is it reasonable that Nissan has elected to avoid replacement into non-Xenon headlights for '02 and '03 Maximas in order to avoid a de-facto recall of its product, thereby exposing it to the associated liability? Stated otherwise, is Nissan failing to offer replacement the headlights, despite the reasonableness of such action, out of fear that this would be an admonission of defect, potentially making Nissan liable for past repair costs, both consumer and insurance paid?
          e. Is it reasonable that Nissan should forsake its customers, actively avoid addressing its design flaws after failing to provide adequate notice of ease of headlight theft prior to purchase?

It would be refreshing for Nissan to address to its customers a letter stating its positions.

The current anti theft mechanism, DataDots, is not effective. The associated letter introding DataDots, which presumes that Nissan has somehow addressed the issue, is insulting.

I live in Jersey City and my headlights were stolen twice, the second time after DataDots program installation by the dealer.

A question to Nissan Motor Corp.:
        "What do you think is the best course of action for me to take?"
    It is probably fair to assume that Nissan did not know about the ease of theft when it designed the 02/03 Max HIDs. However, when consumers (even Nissan dealers)complained about the problem, it took Nissan more than one year to address it by introducing the DataDot system and the metal bracket. It is a step toward assuaging consumer displeasure (particular for those who reside in NY/NJ), but as you pointed out, those fixes could not and did not prevent a subsequent theft.

To resolve the problem, Nissan needs to give 02/03 Max owners free or substantially discounted non-HID replacement headlights (that fit). It may cost Nissan $100 per car, but its willingness to do so will garner significantly better customer satisfaction, which will help Nissan in future car sales. A stitch in time is worth nine, even though the proposed stitch is late.

Talking about "associated liability", do you think a reasonable jury will find Nissan liable for an accident (at night) due to no headlight illumination stemming from an HID theft? Looks like you may be able to establish "causation" :-)
  • tjohnstjohns Member Posts: 2
    Stolen headlights apparently is an issue in the Acura TL as well. One of my lights were stolen out of my TL 2003 yesterday. I feared this for a long time since I kept hearing stories AFTER I brought my car last year. From what I was told its a lot easier to steal the lights from the Maxima.

It just irritates me when I see these 3 dollar cars with possibly my xenon lights knowing they probably paid 30 dollars for them. Police probably have better things to do with there time, but they are not taking this issue seriously because I see these 3 dollar cars all the time with these lights.

Anyway, the outside shell of the light is still intact but they obviously took the box of the HID and bent the right fender. I'm sure a lot of others have experienced this. How much was the damage?
  • bobfurlanbobfurlan Member Posts: 1
    I had to bring my 2002 Maxima SE in yesterday for a crank sensor problem, which apparently was a recall recently, didn't know that. They also said they would install the Data Dots for me, I had heard about problems with them being stolen and jumped on this msg board today, and found out it certainly has been a problem for many. They said the bracket makes them "impossible" to steal but I am sure crafty thieves can still get them somehow. I live in the Northeast but haven't had a problem with them being stolen in 2 years in the Boston area. They did put a small oval "Protected by Data Dot" sticker on driver side and pass side window. After reading posts here, maybe the better idea would be to put the sticker or some other warning msg down by the actual headlights so they know that their swipe job may be a bit more difficult... who knows it it will help.
  • elldogg1999elldogg1999 Member Posts: 3
    MY LIGHTS WERE ALSO STOLEN AND I ALSO WANTED TO REPLACE MY 2002 HEADLIGHTS WITH THE 2001 LIGHTS...
     HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE 2001 LIGHTS? DO YOU THINK THEIVES CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE? ANYONE WITH ANY INFO****************** PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] THANK YOU .....
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] THANK YOU .....

That kinda defeats the purpose of a message board! Stick around and participate and you're more likely to get a reply.

tidester, host
  • elldogg1999elldogg1999 Member Posts: 3
    SORRY BUT I AM JUST FRUSTRATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE..... !!!
    I understand. You work hard, play by the rules and some moron comes along and casually helps himself to the fruits of your labor.

tidester, host
  • syms1syms1 Member Posts: 3
    After hearing horror stories from other 2002/2003 Maxima owners AND having my hood,grille,and front fender damaged AFTER I had DataDots installed on my 2003 SE...I went to my Nissan dealer for a possible trade. They are unsympathetic and not willing to come down substantially on a new model Maxima or Altima. The sales manager suggested I call NissanUSA in California and speak to a customer service rep. She was very nice and sympathetic but claims the headlight issue is not a nationwide problem. She offered me $200 towards a new Maxima...$200! This is an outrage. As soon as I get my 2003 back from the body shop I am heading right over to Toyota for an Avalon or a Solara. I owned 3 Nissans and they just lost a loyal customer. PS..I saw 9 other 02002/2003 Maximas on dealer's lot missing headlights with body damage yet Nissan continues to ignore the problem. I feel sorry for those stuck in long term leases.
  • tjohnstjohns Member Posts: 2
    Even if you replace your lights with non-xenon, they still will mess with it thinking there are xenons in there. Just get rid of the car or don't drive anywhere. LOL!
    Syms, I am sympathetic. Look at this way, at least they could not steal your HIDs this time. Having said that, however, Nissan should have used the same installation (metal brackets around the housing) when it first designed the 02/03 Maximas, instead of the cheap plastic which can be readily ripped off by thugs. It goes to show that car makers can sometimes be penny wise but pound foolish, which in the long run, will drive their customers away.

If Datadots are more widely known to thieves (such as Nissan running public notices and ads), the number of potential thefts will likely decrease. Of course, nothing is theft proof, but Nissan should be doing something more, and adding datadots and metal brackets is a good start.

If you sell your Max now, you will lose substantial $$. If the thefts/damages to your car happen at night when you parked on the street, try renting a garage and hopefully, in the next 6 months, the HID crime wave will subside in light of the Datadots program. Replacing your HIDs with non-xenons is also a viable alternative.
    I may be able to help. write to my e-mail address. the 2001 maxima lights are totally different looking than the 2002/2003. Thieves will be wasting their time for the "cheap"2001/2000 lights. I agree NIssan has left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel sorry for all the guys who OWN their cars.No body is going to buy them in the north east. Have to go cross country to sell these cars. Who in this area will buy these cars? Stupidos.
    tjohns said: Even if you replace your lights with non-xenon, they still will mess with it thinking there are xenons in there.

No. They look totally different. No thief will bother the 2000/2001 lights.
    *** Nissan Maxima '02 / '03 headlight theft will spread all over the U.S. ***

Due to the defective design of these cars, their value will plummet over the next 12 months -- EVERYWHERE.

Nissan's "patch", DataDots and harness change, are not effective -- thieves continue to try, causing thousands of dollars of body damage.

If you own a 2002 or 2003 Nissan Maxima, you should expect to incur substantial, serious financial losses, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE.

*** Nissan has chosen to ignore this problem -- they think customers will "forgive and forget". ***

Please see my other statements (#77 and #88) for additional background.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "Due to the defective design of these cars, their value will plummet over the next 12 months -- EVERYWHERE."

Is that a fact or just your "unbiased" opinion?
  • syms1syms1 Member Posts: 3
    JUST TRADED IN THE 2003 MAXIMA SE AFTER GETTING IT BACK FROM DEALER BODY SHOP. TOTAL REPAIR WAS $4100 WITHOUT THE THIEVES TAKING THE HEADLIGHTS. I HAD DATA DOTS AT THE TIME OF THE VANDALISM. NISSAN OFFERED ME $17,OOO TRADE IN VALUE TOWARD A NEW MAXIMA. MY 2003 MAXIMA WAS IN PERFECT CONDITION WITH 14K MILES. THE NEW CAR THAT I BOUGHT IN APRIL 2003 AND ANOTHER $12,000 WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A NEW 2004 MAXIMA SL. AND WHO IS TO SAY THEY WON'T GO AFTER THOSE XENONS? THE DEALER SAYS ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE NEW XENONS OUT BUT WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY. I BOUGHT A 2004 TOYOTA SOLARA SLE FULLY LOADED WITH A 3.3 6 CYLINDER LEXUS ENGINE FOR THE MAXIMA PLUS $7,000. SMOOTHER AND JUST AS POWERFUL AS MAXIMA AND NO XENONS. TOYOTA GAVE ME $18,800 ON THE TRADE. MAXIMA RESALE VALUES WILL PLUMMET BY AT LEAST 25% WHEN THE GENERAL PUBLIC LEARNS ABOUT THE HEADLIGHT MESS. TOYOTA WANTS THE BUSINESS AND UNLIKE NISSAN IS GOING AFTER IT. I GUESS NISSAN WILL RETURN TO THE UNPROFITABLE, LOW RATED CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPANY IT WAS JUST A FEW SHORT YEARS AGO. BYE-BYE MAXIMA! BYE-BYE NISSAN! MY INSURANCE AGENT SAYS COUNT ON YOUR MAXIMA RATES ALSO GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. THE INSURANCE SYMBOLS AFFECTING YOUR RATES ARE BEING RAISED ON MAXIMAS BY 2 POINTS! GET RID OF THEM NOW!
    While you're at it, get rid of the caps too. Way too hard to read.

Better luck with the Solara!

Steve, Host
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Here in south florida people are stealing the headlights off of Porsche for the HID bulbs. Thought it was kind of interesting that they didnt mention the Maxima at all.
This discussion has been closed.