Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• budhinabudhina Member Posts: 8
    how much was the invoice price for this ?

Thanks
  • mar4500mar4500 Member Posts: 3
    I want to purchase a 2011 Subaru Forester what would be a great price off $27,720 MSRP?
  • kannon8833kannon8833 Member Posts: 7
    $23,759
  • casubbiecasubbie Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a Subaru Forester 2.5x with an automatic transmission with options (rear bumper cover, cargo mat, and luggage compartment cover) for ~$19850 + TTL (~$1800 below invoice). Went to Capitol Subaru in SJ. It took us a while to get them to budge as well. Good luck to those of you car shopping!
    2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited Automatic

- Color: Satin White Pearl

- Interior: Platinum Leather

- MSRP: $ 27,974

- Dealer’s Invoice: $ 26,029

- Edmunds True Market Value: $ 26,173

- Your Subaru of georgetown ePrice: $ 25,507 + TT&L
  • craig1300craig1300 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    After reading this forum, just picked up a new 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5x Automatic here with Alloy Wheel Package, Option 1B, Auto Dim Mirror and Compass, and the all weather mats, cargo tray, etc. The deal was in NJ at World Subaru. Car is Spark Silver. Here is the breakdown:

MSRP = 23830
    Edmunds Invoice Price with all the equivalent options = 22322

I paid $1014 under invoice, 21307.50 + TTL. I thought this was a good deal, hope I was right. The other dealers around my area wouldn't drop lower than $500 under invoice. I was originally interested in the premium but I couldn't justify the extra $2500+ or so for what I was getting.

My wife still needs to get used to the low passenger seat. Thanks to everyone here for all your posts, it was great to know the real deal everyone was getting. Even truecar was high

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited July 2011
    We had a 98 and while I loved it, my wife loves her 09 Forester even more. It's right-sized. Smaller than a Chevy Cobalt outside, 114 cubic feet of space inside.

And they didn't carve out 114 feet - instead they started with a large box and designed the cargo area around that. That's why both C&D and Consumer Reports fit a large volume box inside vs. the CR-V.

My brother has a CR-V and it's also nice, a little less car-like, but nice. For me the AWD system along meant I was going with a Subaru.

Funny part?

After he got his CR-V, his wife bought a Forester. LOL
  • kenman93kenman93 Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy a small suv in the next 4-6 weeks in Atlanta. Our choices are down to the forester(currently favored) and crv. We have owned three subaru cars-2legacys and 1 forester turbo (all JDM 2000). I like the moonroof so might go for the 2.5 x premium; however, not sure whether it will be much used here in the south tho to justify its extra expense. Also like the foglights and alloys are a must. How much discount can Iexpect off the MSRP/invoice in Atlanta? Would one be able to get better bargais here since not as many subarus are sold in the south as in the north-I assume?
    Plus supply was cut short, since it's built in Gunma, Japan.

Forester has been selling well, so there's no cash back. See if the local dealers will offer invoice pricing, at least.
  • momo31momo31 Member Posts: 1
    Got a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ AWP, fog lights

Selling Price: $24,589 + Dealer Fee ($489) + TT

Was a little over what I wanted to settle on, but they gave me $1,000 more on an old trade-in that I didn't think I would get much of anything for. They doubled what CarMax offered me. Also, it was the one car in the entire state that had everything my wife and I both wanted on it and nothing too extraneous.

Settled everything except price for trade-in online before going to dealership. I was very pleased with the experience at the dealership. They were straightforward and professional. No tricks. Now, we'll see how the car holds up. First Subie!
  • benjamin9876benjamin9876 Member Posts: 17
    looking for 2.5x limited in bay area... what price should i aim at ?
    does the turbo worth that $3500 more?
  • itworksitworks Member Posts: 1
    Hi benjamin9876, I am in bay area, also thinking about a Forrester. Did you pull the trigger?
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Well, it depends. It's nice to have one and it may increase resale value later. I've got 2010 Forester XT over a year now.
    The mileage is not as good as the non-turbo but it helps on those long climbs on I-70 "before the tunnel"....
  • vicskivicski Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was just offered a 2.5x Premium with all-weather package. MSRP $24964, invoice $23356 for $22856, lease 36 mo. 15,000 miles, 52% residual and money factor of .00095. Is this a good deal? Payments quoted at $279.13/month.
  • ellenmarieellenmarie Member Posts: 4
    is this a decent deal: 2011 Forester Premium, 5-speed,AWP, Cargo Tray, Splash Guard Kit, Auto-Dim Mirror w/Compass, Luggage Compartment Cover, PZEV Emissions Equipment, Rear Bumper Cover, Body Side Molding Kit, Luggage Compartment Cover: $24,440 + $1,542 tax = $25,982

My offer was $23,350 + $1,460 tax = $24,810

Said their price was $200 over 'their invoice' and couldn't go lower. I'm in Western MA and finding a 5 speed Prem w/AWP is tough. So just wondering if their current offer is a good deal or not. What do you say back when they tell you they are selling just over their invoice and can't go lower?
    Well, the catch is supply is short right now, so in terms of timing, they are perhaps correct. My brother had to wait a month for his Premium model.

There's a little wiggle room, though. They get the $200 plus the 2% holdback.

Offer flat invoice and see what they do. You'd have to raise you offer about ~$800 or so, though.
    Well I ended up getting the car for $24,240, plus tax and $398 in fees, registrationg, inspection, etc. Plus 3 free synthetic oil changes. Picked it up today.
  • iris28iris28 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2.5x Limited in Boston area, add splash guard, luggage compartment cover, rear bumper cover and back up camera. MSRP: $27,730, Invoice: $25,916. The dealer will add $400 Ad fee+ $200 doc fee to the invoice price. What is this Ad fee and doc fee? Is good deal, if I offer $25,500 plus tax, registration and tiltle?

I need to wait 2 weeks to have the car.
    Congrats!

What color? Trans? Model?

Enjoy new car smell...
    I got the Sage Green...love the color 5-speed,w/AWP. Been driving it for two days and love it. One thing I noticed today. It's rained all day and when I had the wipers on during the drive home I noticed a very loud 'squeek' sound on the drivers side wiper. It happened just as the wiper hit the top point and started to move downwards again. It was almost like a 'smack' sound. Anyone heard of this and know the cause?

I bought the car at Haddad Subaru in Pittsfield, MA.
  • aveeightaveeight Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me here on what a fair offer would be for this car:

2009 Forester 2.5x Limited w 28,700 miles
    http://www.raffertysubaru.com/used/Subaru/2009-Subaru-Forester+2.5X+Limited+5DR+- 2.5/-23a7220a0a0d048e017c1ee03895f8e4.htm

The asking price is 22,995. Would 21,500 be reasonable or is that insulting? New I think this goes for $26,000 or so.

Also - maybe someone here can tell me, what does Limited get you over Premium? The options and features seems identical.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    edited September 2011
    Wiper squeek - If it is a "window" squeek, I would check the wiper blade. Some of these cars sit on dealer's lot for a while and the sun may cause the rubber to fall apart, if wipers are not used frequently. I change mine every oil change and use Valeo brand.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    It seems used Subarus are priced similar to used Hondas. You'd have to be insane to buy one used when a new one with a full warranty isn't all that much more expensive & has lower interest rates.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Could indeed be the wipers or even some residual glue/goop on the windshield.
  • goatnuckgoatnuck Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I want to start by saying thank you to everyone for making this type of information available. You saved me a ton of money.

I just thought I would share briefly on my experience. I just bought a pretty plain 2011 2.5X PZEV Auto will the alloy wheel package, luggage compartment cover, rear bumper cover, interior illumination kit (blue) and splash guard kit.

MSRP: $23,549

ADM: ~$3,000 <- load of BS

Total ~ $26,550

Invoice: $22,166

Paid: $20,779 which is $1,387 off invoice.

I had a trade-in that I negotiated on after the fact. I made a mistake at the first dealer I went to and mentioned my trade-in up front. Their initial offer on the same vehicle was $20k plus my trade-in, ouch! In the end, they were willing to come down $6721 to match the second dealer at $13,279. Thanks to y'all, I wasn't taken to the cleaners, but got a solid deal and am very happy!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I went with the second dealer as they had the Sage Green!
  • jacunn2jacunn2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a:

2011 forester 2.5x premium
    -all weather package
    -dark gray metallic
    -side molding
    -all weather mats
    -cargo tray
    -rear bumpber cover

...for $24,960.63 (out the door). How did I do?
  • genivgeniv Member Posts: 1
    It sounds very good to me. I also am looking for the same veichle. Did you have a trade-in? Could you share the dealership? Thanks.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    It depends on how much of that was TTL. Was that car an automatic?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • meme123meme123 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    2011 Forester 2.5x Automatic,alloy wheel value package,auto dim mirror compass,black roof rails, platinum cargo tray, rear bumper cover. $21000. before ttl. We are turning in a lease return. Is the purchase price on the 2011 too high or should we keep dealing...?
    Wow, supply is so short.

The 2 local dealers only have one base model (with the alloys), and it's over $22k.

I say buy it before they're all gone. They've really gotta get the Gunma plant back to full speed, this is ridiculous...
    edited October 2011
    There's a whole pile of them at my local dealership. Of course, they won't sell them under MSRP, but that doesn't seem to stop them from selling them left and right. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    They're cashing in, eh?

Still, supply and demand, it's fair I guess. They probably lose money on a lot of those under-invoice deals.
    Well, they are the only dealership for 350 miles, so they don't feel like they need to sell under that, and they're generally right (because there are plenty of people willing to buy that don't care about negotiating).

So, for people like me, that means I take a 2,200 mile trip to save $2,500 or so on the purchase (including travel costs). I don't mind though. I love to drive, I love the drive, and I like to save money; it works out well. :D

If the local dealership gave a reasonable price, I wouldn't have any excuse left (well, none that my wife would accept) to make the trip!
    I've pointed people to Fitz Subaru who came by train and drove home. Thankfully you can go from Union Station directly to the subway, in the same bldg, then go to the White Flint station, and catch a free shuttle.
  • searlaitsearlait Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for a 2011 or 2012 Forester X Premium (solely for the lumbar-adjustable seat--I don't care at all about the moonroof but it seems like you can't get the adjustable seat without it and you can't get a Forester X with just the adjustable seat) and AWP. I just got quoted $24,300 OTD yesterday for the local dealer's last remaining 2011 with 4000 miles on it. I didn't feel like that was a good deal at all, and I walked. What do y'all think? I have this fantasy that I can possible get out the door for $22 or $23K.

We only have two Subaru dealers in town here in Austin, and one of them (Austin Subaru) is just abysmal. I spent almost 2 hours there yesterday, and they wouldn't give me a firm value on my trade-in "unless we were writing a contract" and I couldn't get them to talk OTD price at all. Subaru of Georgetown is a nicer place but I feel like the deal they offered me wasn't so great.
  • kannon8833kannon8833 Member Posts: 7
    Try www.TrueCar.com. We did. Took price over to dealer, they met it. Got excellent price on a 2011 Forester X Premium, Auto, All Weather Pkg. Great car. Bought last day of the month too. Great price, pretty good financing.
    I think your gut impression was the right one. Maybe if the car did not have the miles on it, the deal would have been okay. I assume that price does not include a sales tax?
    It did, it would be $24,300 out the door including TT&L, on a car with 4k miles whose original MSRP was $25,600 or so.

I just don't feel like this was an awesome deal on a "new" 2011 with 4000 miles. Is it possible to get out the door for $23-24K on a Forester Premium?
    edited November 2011
    Well, how much of it was tax? Since that varies by location, including it makes it difficult to determine what you're paying for the car, which is the only part that can be universally applied.

When I purchased my '10 X Premium (manual) a couple years ago, it was ~$23.3 and was $300 under invoice, I think, and that included about $1,100 in options. So, on an automatic with no options, I would think you should be able to get it in the lower $23 range. Mine also had six miles on the odometer. So, even though four thousand is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, it is still a used car.
    I got offered a 2012 Forester Premium automatic with AWP and auto dimming mirror/compass, splash guard kit, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover and all weather floor mats for $25,370 OTD yesterday. We have 8.25% sales tax here in Texas so this seemed like a much better deal for a 2012 than a 2011. I think I am going to take it.
    Considering how short supply is right now, I'd agree. Go for it, before they sell it out from under you...
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Didn't realize the sales tax is higher in the DFW area for cars as the sales tax for vehicles in San Antonio is 6.25%, everything else is 8.25%. As for the price it looks to be a good price.
    Have to tried Ron Amper at Roger Beasley Subaru in George Town. We purchased our 2011 Limited from him and he delivered it to San Antonio personally & he gave us the best price from the five dealers that replied to our quote request by over $1000!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    edited November 2011
    Have you tried the SA area? Gillman Subaru in Schertz (right off I-35) is offering $3K off remaining 2011s. Not sure how many they have left but you can check on their web site.

NOTE: Just checked - showing 8 '11 Foresters starting at $22053 before the $3K comes off.
  • dave87120dave87120 Member Posts: 6
    Wow. 3K off is a lot. By the way, i just joined the forum 15 minutes ago and am looking in to buying a '11 or '12 Forester Premium.
    The 2012 has the adjustable passenger seat height, so that def is a worth the wait for me. I have about a 6 month wait until I will look for financing to buy.
    I am not sure if they added the adjustable head rest to the 2012 Forester features, but the 2012 Impreza has this and I know that my wife would love to have both this and the adjustable height passenger seat on our 2010.
    Seems these manufacturers try as hard as they can to not make standard the features they know most drivers want. Looks like I'll be ordering the 2.5x Premium forester and buy the native 120vac service outlet and fog lights separately. ( and maybe the aero bars)
  • dalondalon Member Posts: 12
    I was going to buy a 2011 Nissan Rogue but one dealership had false advertising and when I called them out on it to get a below the truecar quote price, they fast talked me and that was the end of that. The other dealership, with rebates, discounts, and going $400 below the truecar quote, I had them $3000 below invoice. I guess they really needed to get rid of it. But, we canceled the deal b/c of miscommunication and a feeling that we were being led astray and were being screwed around with. I tried to start renegotiations but now they were only willing to go $500 below invoice(despite a guarantee of going at least $2650 below invoice from truecar)

So, I went to test out the 2012 Subaru Forester, really liked the smooth ride and good visibility(good mirrors, fewer blind spot issues) compared to the 2011 Rogue(major visibility issue probably due to the design of the SUV).

Truecar quote was 20,953(Invoice of 21,355, so $402 below invoice) in my area but that doesn't include the alloy wheel package, which adds on another $348, this is not posted on truecar.

Basically, I was told all 2012 Foresters in this dealership come with the Alloy Wheel Package, so I didn't really argue over this extra $348. MSRP is 23680, Invoice is 22156. I got it down to $686 below invoice. Salesperson was extremely nice also, so I felt like although I could've gotten it probably $900 below invoice, I wanted him to get some commission because he treated us exceptionally well, went through all the buttons in the vehicle, and never pressured us at all.

I also purchased the V2000 Rust/Interior/Exterior Protection for $800. Unsure if this was necessary but I live in the Midwest and we did feel that the paint was rough, so this might be necessary b/c I would hope to have this car for the next decade, although many say it is a waste. Didn't get the extended warranty b/c I don't know what will happen tomorroww much less 5 yrs. from now.

OTD price before the rust protection was 22800, in other words, $686 below invoice. I'm wondering if this is a fair deal for myself? I basically didn't haggle as hard as I did for the Rogue due to wanting to leave a little something for the salesperson. Did I leave too much on the table or would you guys say I should be satisfied with the purchase price? So, the truecar had it 402 below invoice and I got it to nearly 700 below invoice. I tried but didn't haggle too much.
    edited December 2011
    You paid a good price for the car. The protection package, as others have said, is likely questionable, but if you're satisfied with it, then it was money well spent.

It sounds to me like it is time to put the purchase behind you and enjoy the ownership! Congrats! ;)