Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Nissan Xterra

tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
edited March 2014 in Nissan
Anyone have any new info or spy pics of the next-gen Xterra? I can't believe there's nothing out there!

Comments

• Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    The 2005 Nissan Xterra is going to make its World Debut at the 2004 New York Auto Show. Thats all I know.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that's still on!
  • Options
    scotryanscotryan Member Posts: 4
    According to nissannews.com, info on the new Xterra will be posted after the press conference on 4/8 from 9:00am-9:30am on their website. Hopefully, Edmunds will pick it up as well...
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks, scotryan - I've posted that information where our management can see it. Hopefully we'll get an update as well.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    There are 2 official pictures and specs on the autoweek.com New York show page. We don't know what the back looks like, but the front and interior are clear. I think it looks good, although its a little too much like the new Pathfinder. There is an official statement that it will have the same 4.0 VQ V6 and that every dimension grows a few inches (Except the overall length)! The wheel base is stretched a couple of inches but the overall length is the same due to a shorter front overhang. It will come with a 5 speed electronic auto or 6 speed manual.

Regards,
    2FastDre.
  • Options
    casper7777casper7777 Member Posts: 12
    2FastDre, i think you're mistaken. I didn't see any 2005 Xterra pics on autoweek.com. Can you post the direct link? maybe you were looking at the land rover.

thanks
    casper7777
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://www.nissannews.com/

I like everything I see here except for two things: (1) It's using the rear axle/suspension from the '05 Frontier, and not the '05 Pathfinder, meaning solid axle and leaf springs; and (2) it's (still!) using a part-time 4WD.

On the plus side:

* Great evolutionary looks with the new Nissan truck face.

* Super engine and trannys from the '05 Frontier and Pathfinder.

My grade: B+ to A-

Bob
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    So basically a different exterior but the same interior with less luxuries than the Pathfinder? Cool. I like how they kept the original profile but evolutionized it to keep with the times. Another seller here!
  • Options
    btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    I had looked at the first XTerra twice to buy, but the interior really turned me off. I think they fixed my gripes with this new one. The exterior looks great. I'm glad they didn't depart from the original design too much. I'll have to take one of these for a test drive next summer....My list just keeps getting longer!
  • Options
    ropedartropedart Member Posts: 163
    The look is good but almost predictable DNA application of Nissan front truck grills. It looks the same. Why mess with success. The interior is bland as if to say "you want more bling let me show you the Pathfinder or Armada, and bring your second checkbook with you" the upsell is built into the truck lineup as intended. Why still the carpet? Why can't you take out the rear seats? Why no Aux in? Didn't anyone learn from the Honda Element? With a ladder frame they could have made the whole back end removeable like the Envoy to load big bikes. Good parttime 4WD offroad ability for those who spend 7 percent of their time in the dirt. Lots of power. I wonder what the fuel mileage is like.
    Put that front grill and roof rack on the X-Trail and you got a customer.
  • Options
    Uh, oh! Another contender! I LOVE it! It's the perfect update to a great truck, keeping the essence of the 1st generation, but giving it the necessary upgrade it deserves. And check out the engine! Finally, the same powerful 6 that the Pathfinder gets!!!

Well, I've ruled out the '05 Grand Cherokee, after seeing the new pics. Now, the only problem is, do I get the 4Runner (with a 2" lift) or the Xterra, and are the '05 Pathfinder and '05 H3 still in the running? Hmmm...such a dilemma...
  • Options
    the "Auto 4WD" mode from the new Pathfinder, as well as the '05 Pathfinder's IRS, it would be perfect.

Bob
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Seems like many of the comments here are of the genre "if it just had the Pathfinder's (fill in the blank)"

Then it would essentially be a Pathfinder, and how could Nissan justify selling strikingly similar vehicles with very different pricing?

Nissans renaissance is almost complete. If we could just get rid of the anachronistic (though still dynamically competent) Sentra... any word on this one?

Will anyone be in attendance at the NY Auto Show? I was thinking of heading up this Friday, and if theres going to be any edmunds.com guys/gals there, Id be happy to meet up.

Very impressed by this new XTerra, as I have been by the 2005 PF, Fronteir, and revised Altima.

~alpha
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Wouldn't git bit over a 4Runner, but this is more of what I had in mind when the 1st one came out. Not as plasticky, better engine, more room and safety.

I would guess it would take sales from Liberty and Sorento, not established trucks like 4Runner and Cherokee. It could approach 100k sales. Good job.

Like it better than the new pathfinder. Looks like a lunch pail!

DrFill
  • Options
    Seems like many of the comments here are of the genre "if it just had the Pathfinder's (fill in the blank)"

Then it would essentially be a Pathfinder, and how could Nissan justify selling strikingly similar vehicles with very different pricing?

How do you figure that? The Pathfinder is larger, seats 7, and is much more luxurious? It's also aimed at a different audience. I see no overlap whatsoever.

Bob
  • Options
    That's the Pathfinder's mission.

Bob
  • Options
    Isnt THAT much larger, and in the SE trim- its a stretch calling it luxiourious. Build your own SE on nissandriven.com -its still typifies the "sport-utility" designation.

My point was that if Nissan used all of the exact same drivetrain and suspension components in the XTerra as are used in the PF, I feel this would cannobalize the lower trim PFs. Not everyone needs 7 seats, and it is yet to be seen how well Nissan differentiates the *new* PF and *new* XTerra in terms of demographic target and subsequent advertising.

(Nissan has strutted this road before- and new Maxima sales are consistently below prior years sales as well as expectations).

Bob, Im not saying youre wrong, Im just offering a different point of view.

~alpha
  • Options
    Funny you should mention that model. Nissan just introduced an Altima SE-R that's been tweaked from a performance standpoint. It should most definitely cut into Maxima sales.

Back to the Pathfinder vs. Xterrra. I understand what you're saying, but I really doubt Xterra SE customers will (seriously) cross-shop the Pathfinder SE, and vice-versa. And even if they do, I bet the SE Xterra will have lower content than the SE Pathfinder.

Bob
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Thank goodness they didn't name it the Pathfinder Xterra like they did with the Pathfinder Armada - that was a stupid name. Armada would've been just fine.
  • Options
    The only reason why I bought my 2001 Pathfinder SE with a 3.5 VQ (I got it used) was because the Xterra was underpowered for the towing I wanted to do. With the new Xterra having the same awesome engine as the Pathfinder, I would and probably will go for the Xterra next time I am faced with a choice. But that's just me. There can be other differentiations between Xterra and Pathfinder that can separate the two: like DVD players, more or less legroom, etc.

However, I still think that the top line models should have a more powerful engine option to sufficiently separate from the lower lines. Like if the Maxima and the Pathfinder had a 4.5 V8 options. Then Nissan would really be in business.

2FastDre.
  • Options
    Will anyone be in attendance at the NY Auto Show? I was thinking of heading up this Friday, and if theres going to be any edmunds.com guys/gals there, Id be happy to meet up.

Ah ha!!!

Juice sent me an e-mail yesterday mentioning your name. He and I were going to go together on Friday, but he's unable to make it. I'm still going, if you want to hook up. I'll be at the Subaru area around 1 or so. I'll be driving up from Maryland.

Bob
  • Options
    Small world! I just checked your profile, and see you're from New Brunswick, NJ. Well I grew up in Highland Park!

Bob
  • Options
    4x4buff4x4buff Member Posts: 12
    http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NStaticLoader_path-@ni- ssan@future@static@futureModels,00.html

Does 05 Xterra has rear diff lock in available off-road package ?
    Anybody been to NY show ?
  • Options
    Along with Alpha01 and hypov (Subaru Crew). The vehicle looks great in the flesh!

Interesting... I picked up a teaser brochure on the new Xterra, and in it there is a small picture of the dash of an automatic version, and the 4WD switch does have an "Auto 4WD" mode like the '05 Pathfinder and Armada. Yet the vehicle on display, a 6-speed manual, did not have that Auto 4WD mode. The Nissan news web site is also a bit unclear about that. One sub-link there mentions Auto 4WD, yet another mentions part-time 4WD.

Bob
  • Options
    I noted the same thing after looking through the teaser (which I thought was otherwise well conceived). I wonder if the Auto 4WD is for the automatics only, and perhaps only on upper trim models?

This Xterra was one of the models I was most impressed by at NYIAS. Would you agree?

~alpha
  • Options
    And it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday! :)

You said you were going back with your dad. If so, check out the Camp Jeep display, which we missed earlier. It's in a separate building annex near the Dodge truck area, on the lower level. The new Grand Cherokee is there as well as the revised Liberty. It's a pretty neat display, with an off-road course. :)

I left the show around 6:30 PM yesterday, and didn't get home until 12:30 AM! Traffic on the NJ Turnpike was horrible in south Jersey, and right after the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-95 south was closed due to an accident, so they had to re-route traffic on to local roads!

Bob
  • Options
    It was excellent to meet you as well, Im very sorry to hear about that ridiculous ride home. Hopefully it wont happen again next year!

I will make sure to check out the Jeep display, did they have any info on the new Diesels (named "CRD", I believe).

Im such a car nerd, I already sent in the business reply card for the XTerra!! (I know you can do it online, but I still like the snail mail, especially since the X was just debuted here at NYIAS).

best,
    ~alpha
  • Options
    and there's a small flier on it too.

Bob
  • Options
    I was just comparing pixs of the all-new Xterra, from the teaser brochure I picked up at the NY show, with pixs from the '04 model brochure.

In profile, when comparing the images side-by-side, there is a huge difference. The front axle has been move further forward, so that it's much closer to the bumper. The angle of approach on the '05 model is vastly better than that of the '04 model. Also, while the styling is very evolutionary, there is not one panel that's interchangeable with the old model. Everything is new. Even from the rear, where the change looks to be the least, there is nothing that is carried over from the old model.

Bob
  • Options
    It seems like Nissan has most of the SUV markets covered extremely well with their new (and upcoming) products. However, there is one (perhaps two) glaring omissions that I would like to see addressed:

(1)
    I would love to see Nissan take the new Xterra, and make a shortened ultra-off roadster to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. Hmmm... Xterraster?

(2)
    They should bring over the X-Trail soft-roader to compete with the likes of the CRV, etc.

Bob
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    But where are the photos, guys? Don't you know we all LIVE for the photos?? If you don't produce photos, it's my hostly duty to banish you to I don't like SUVs, why do you? for a week. Don't make me do it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Did anyone get a chance to sit in the new Xterra or at least closely enough to tell if the slight increase in size and other changes had an appreciable impact on passenger and cargo room?

I liked the old Xterra and think the pictures of the new one look sharp. They definitely seem to have fixed the lack of power issue. Beyond the question of the auto 4wd, does anyone know the following -

1. Has the driving position improved? There was something odd about the old one, particularly in terms of the legroom and positioning of my feet.

2. Do you know if the cargo capacity has been increased? The old one was a little low for a midsized, truck based SUV. I think the high load floor might have had something to do with that, which leads to the next question.

3. Has the load floor been lowered any at the back bumper? The current Xterra is quite high compared to its competition.

4. Finally, the Nissan website says ground clearance has been improved. Does anyone know what the new ground clearance is?

I'm interested to know the answers, but these are all relatively small issues, as compared to the new and more powerful engine.
  • Options
    Two other questions:

1. 2005 towing capacity?

2. Is the situation with the sunroof the same?
  • Options
    oicwoicw Member Posts: 2
    1. I don't think Nissan has let anyone sit inside or open the hood yet. The current driving position is pretty odd, but if they make you sit higher, then there'll be head room problems.

2. The cargo capacity in the back has improved. As well as rear leg room.

3. I really DON'T want the floor lower. The reason the Xterra is so high compared to the Exploders is because the X wasn't designed to be a soccer mobile. To have any reasonable offroad ground clearance, you must have a high floor to make room for under vehicle components. If you want a easier loading vehicle, then look at the Quest. BTW, I find it easier to pick up heavy stuff when they're at my waist level.

4. The OVERALL clearance has decreased. The maximum clearance might have increased a little. But overall ability to clear obstacles offroad is hurt. The breakover angle is especially poor. I think this is to prevent soccer moms from driving it like a BMW and flipping it over all the time. Guess that means a bigger lift for me when I get one.

The only thing I really like about the new one is the engine and 6spd. For pure trail running I'd take my current 00 over it. The first two years of Xterras were some of the most solid ones built.

Anyway, this is not something you'd buy just for space and comfort, that's what the comfy crossover utility vehicles and minivans are for. This is a truck and it's going to ride, handle and perform like one.
  • Options
    oicwoicw Member Posts: 2
    1. Believe it remains the same. But this time it'll actually tow the 5000 lbs instead of crawling with it. Same goes for Ford Expeditions. It claims to have a big capacity, but can't even tow 75% of the capacity without getting passed by semis.

2. There are not more sunroofs.
  • Options
    I understand and do not want a lower load floor at the expense of ground clearance and I do not want to see Xterra lose it's niche as one of the few, honest SUVs left on the market.

It just seemed the previous layout was kind of inefficient and that there might be an opportunity to lower the load floor and increase cargo capacity without lowering the bottom of the vehicle and reducing ground clearance. One trade off that I would have been able to accept would have been an exterior spare on the back. In my mind that is actually a more convenient layout for when you have to change a tire, (getting on the ground to get to a spare underneath a truck while wearing nice work clothes is a pain!) but I guess everyone is moving away from that because of increased damage in rear-end collisions. In any case, it is too late to hope for that change.

I know the approximately 2% slightly longer wheelbase would reduce breakover by a fraction of an inch, but that could be offset by slightly bigger wheels and tires. Nissan says that the approach angle has been improved, and that the underside of the vehicle has less protrusions (hence the increased ground clearance). Hopefully these are offsetting factors and the loss of off road capability is minimal, if any. The other changes all sound positive, and the good looks have been preserved.
  • Options
    That will hardly change the breakover angle. The angle of approach is MUCH better than the old model.

Bob
  • Options
    I took a few. Once I figure out how to post them (and get time to do so), I'll give it a shot.

Bob
  • Options
    scotryanscotryan Member Posts: 4
    Hello All!!! For pictures go to www.nissannews.com; also look at message #13 on this message board....
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I like your suggestions, Bob. An Xterra "Jeep" would be cool and we all know that Nissan needs a CR-V competitor as well, as it's just about the only segement of the SUV market they don't have covered. Nissan Canada was listening, as the X-trail goes on sale here in about a month.
    Hope to see one in the flesh shortly.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard an ETA for the Xterra?

Another thing I was wondering, considering the nice V8 rumble from the Titan and Armada, and the nice growl Nissan gets from the 3.5 V6 (Neighbor has a G35 coupe and it sounds great), I hope that Nissan has designed a good exhaust system for the 4.0 version in the Xterra, Frontier and Pathfinder. If anything, one would think that it might have a little deeper rumble as compared to the 3.5.

I know that you can always go aftermarket, but most of those systems are too loud, and frankly I have yet to hear an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 that I have liked (most sound raspy or tinny). Making a V6 sound good really takes careful tuning from the manufacturer.

We have seen the pictures (looks great IMHO), but has anyone heard what these new Xterras sound like?
  • Options
    I agree. It's harder to get a V6 sound nice, but I heard a 350Z with Nismo exhaust. Wow! It was a little on the loud side, but it sounded like it was going to eat you alive. Personally, I want my 3.5VQ Pathfinder to sound a little louder and throatier. Maybe, they will eventually come out with a Pathfinder Nismo exhaust system? If so, then the trucks and SUVs will the last in line to get racy treatments. If I am in the market for a new SUV in about 3 or 4 years, then Xterra will be very near the top of my list.

As far as ETA goes: I would bet that you can test drive it in February/March timeframe.

2FastDre.
  • Options
    noodlemannoodleman Member Posts: 1
    The new Xterra fixes just about everything that was wrong with the previous version:

-Weak engine
    -Extra cheap interior
    -Lack of interior room
    -Wimpy front end

There's just one thing that bothers me. What were they thinking with those side steps on the rear bumper? It maybe gives you an extra 6" of reach over standing on the bumper, and it ruins an otherwise gorgeous profile. Am I the only one bothered by this? Please tell me those side steps are just an option.
  • Options
    I disagree.

There's just one thing that bothers me. What were they thinking with those side steps on the rear bumper? It maybe gives you an extra 6" of reach over standing on the bumper, and it ruins an otherwise gorgeous profile. Am I the only one bothered by this? Please tell me those side steps are just an option.

In fact I couldn't disagree more... Those side steps are a brilliant idea, and long overdue. It has nothing to do with styling; it's all about function. Yes, they are there to aid in accessing the roof rack. If anything, I would like to see an additional step added, but lower for those with short legs. If you study Xterra ads and TV commercials, they market it as a "4WD tool," more than a vehicle. So this side step makes perfect sense IMO.

The Xterra is a tall vehicle, and Nissan makes a big deal about how great their roof rack is. Now people can actually find a way to reach it.

BTW, I've been a graphic designer for over 30 years. I earn my living by "design" so to speak. Even so, I will take "function" any day over "styling." To put it even more bluntly, if a feature is there to make it "function better," that is "good design," even if it looks ugly. Good design and good styling are NOT necessarily the same thing.

Bob (who is only 5'9" and needs all the help possible with roof racks on tall vehicles)
  • Options
    4x4buff4x4buff Member Posts: 12
    I agree with Noddleman, side step should be an option. They have function but they look silly and awkward.

It will appeal to some and be an eye sore to others so it should be an option but it isn't.

New Xterra overall looks good, I hope off-road features are better.
    I think rear differential lock should be an option, any word on that.
  • Options
    bobotheclownbobotheclown Member Posts: 53
    I'm thinking of getting a 2005 Xterra. I'm wondering if I should get the 4x4 option. I only plan to off-road a little and go up to the mountains during the winter season. It's mostly going to be a commuter vehicle.
  • Options
    Its really a personal choice. But just keep in mind that 2wd (Rear wheel drive) SUVs and pickups are very very very very very easy to get stuck in on mud or any kind of steep terrain. Last fall here in Atlanta I saw some joker in a tough looking SUV with push bars, brush guards, fancy wheels, racks, etc. etc. trying to climb his wet and leaf covered driveway. The poseur had 2wd and he could not do it. I stopped to watch him and laughed so hard I almost started crying.

To put it another way, if you get 2wd on an SUV and you do not tow on a regular basis and do not go off road, you are only buying for style and you would be much better better served not putting up with the drawbacks of a truck based vehicle and would be better off in a car or crossover. Just my $.02.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I live in Souther California so i don't see a lot of mud or even rain for that matter. Steepest inclines I'd probably have to drive are those that lead up from the more secluded beaches. I might just get the 4wd just so I can drive in the sand at the beaches.

I hear the Nissan 4wd system cuts out at 19/mph? If that's so, I'm hesitant to put down an additional $2,000 for it.

Oh well, there's always the 4 door Toyota Tacoma. Damn you Toyota and you options packaging.
  • Options
    I think the 4wd that cuts out at 19mph refers to the locking 4wd on the Murano. However, part time 4wd systems are not made for driving at higher speeds anyway.

Also, I wanted to make sure you are aware that the Tacoma is being redesigned next year also. If I go for a crew cab pickup next year, the new Frontier and Tacoma are on my short lists. If I go for an SUV, the Xterra is on my short list. Can't wait until these new models come out so I can drive them.
  • Options
    So the 4wd system on the Xterra is different from the Muranos? I just assumed that they used the same system across the board.

It just happens to be that I'm looking into getting either the '05 Tacoma, Frontier, or Xterra. They're relatively priced the same, plus or minus $2k. That's one of the reasons I'm waiting till year end '05 to buy the vehicle. I want some reviews on the redesigns before plunking down some hard earned money.

I'm kinda worried about the Tacomas that will be manufactured in Mexico though.
This discussion has been closed.