Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Volkswagen Golf V GTI

player4player4 Member Posts: 362
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen

NEXT GOLF GTI TURNS UP HEAT

Exclusive spy images reveal the production version of the new VW Golf GTI as it began a series of performance tests high up in the Austrian Alps.

While the GTI badges are missing in the shots, there's no doubt what this car is. The undisguised model is almost identical to 2003's Frankfurt Motor Show concept.

The sporty hatch is fitted with the honeycomb grille and 18-inch wheels that first appeared on last year's exhibition star. And while the car in our pictures is a three-door, a five-door version will be available, too.

Deep side skirts also feature on the Honda Civic Type R rival, while at the back there's a neat spoiler, a lower bumper and prominent twin-pipe exhausts. The first model to hit the road will be a 200bhp 2.0-litre FSI turbo.

However, this car is widely expected to be followed by an entry-level 2.0-litre variant aimed at younger drivers who attract high insurance premiums. And there will definitely be a 2.0-litre TDI version, with around 180bhp, given that the original 150bhp GT TDI was one of the fastest-selling models of all-time.

A range-topping R32 replacement - powered by a 3.2-litre V6 - is also being tested, and will offer around 255bhp and all-wheel drive when it arrives next year. The DSG sequential gearbox, currently fitted to the Touran and Audi TT V6, will be available on all models as a cost option. Six-speed manual units will be standard across the range.

Inside, expect back-lit dials, plenty of GTI badging plus special metal finishes to the centre console and instrument clusters. Bespoke sports seats fitted to the Frankfurt show car are also tipped to make production, providing plenty of support to driver and passengers.

The showroom-ready Golf GTI will be unveiled at September's Paris Motor Show. Expect the first lucky owners to take delivery of their models in January, with prices starting at around £20,000.

Comments

• Options
    carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I've read reports that only 3 doors will be available on the GTI. Anyone know if this is true, or might there possibly be a 5 door version?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Three doors and it will be a 2006 model. Will be manufactured in the Puebla, Mexico plant.
  • Options
    wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I doubt that US versions will have 4 doors with hatch. I think the 4dr versions look classier and are obviously more versatile.
    The MarkV's rear wheel cut-outs are ugly, I think they should be symmetrical like the Mark IVs.

Unfortunately, we(U.S.) wont see the high HP versions of the diesel - I guess our emission standards are tougher than the rest of the world (we must be smarter than everyone else - yeah, right!)
  • Options
    revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Yeah what's up with bigger wheel wells in the front then back??? Otherwise I like the new GTi.
  • Options
    mikeg60mikeg60 Member Posts: 2
    My trip to autostadt was a dream come true. Here are a few pics of the new Golf.
  • Options
    whitericeboywhitericeboy Member Posts: 3
    hey, if u look at most cars the wheel arch in the front is usually bigger, the rear is probably smaller to create more rear cargo room
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    than less performance-oriented Golfs. Two gearboxes will feature - a standard six-speed manual, or VW's quick-changing DSG auto, which will first be available on the five-door and cost £1,500 over the normal car's £19,995 list price."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=49844
  • Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    The car is front wheel drive, so the wheels are a little bigger in front for more traction. Many after market mod's include larger front wheels and tire combinations. Consider the front wheel-drive Porsche's, also: I believe the 944 and probably the 968 or whatever it was in the early 90's had bigger front tires.
  • Options
    Oops, you meant wheel wells. The wheels have to be able to turn outside of the fenders, so the fenders have to allow for suspension travel while the wheels are outside of these fender flares.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Competition, perhaps.

The article talks about a 'potential' v6 in the focus that would give similar performance to the 2.0T with DSG.

I'd prefer a more balanced car with a 4cyl turbo (in this type of application) to a 6 cyl. The article did however mention borrowing an engine from Volvo, assuming the T5. This combination could be interesting.

If VW users get cylinder envy they could always 'upgrade' to an A3 and get the 3.2.
  • Options
    means AWD w/ a hardcore stiff ride, not unlike the next Focus RS.
  • Options
    till "the first quarter of 2006" according to European Car magazine. You should be able to get one and import it on the gray market before then.
  • Options
    markokcmarkokc Member Posts: 1
    Having problems with the ignition switch on the steering column. Started up my car yesterday and the engine started but the starter was still engaged(?)like when you hold it in the start position too long. Wouldn't quit till I pulled the key out. Didn't get the little click that locks the steering wheel either. Steering wheel won't lock and car won't start. Hope the ignition system didn't get fried? Anyone ever have this happen. My GTI is 5 years old this month and just passed the 50K mark. thanks.......
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.