Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    I test drove an SS a couple of days ago and quite liked it. However, when I asked the salesman about the top speed, the salesman responded that he hadn't been able to get any information. I then emailed the GM Chevrolet FAQ line and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2006 Chevrolet Impala! Our Chevrolet Design Team is always concerned about customer safety and product quality. A speed governor or rev limiter is built into each vehicle we produce in order to limit the speed at which a vehicle can be operated for both safety and quality reasons. Governors and limiters limit the maximum speed to about 95 miles per hour for most vehicles and 105 for high performance vehicles. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How patronizing! I am amazed that GM would limit a supposedly high performance car with W rated tires to 105 mph. What does this say about the company designing a car that is marketed as a performance vehicle? I'm not advocating driving at such speeds in the U.S., but, even in the case of a 2.0 liter VW GTi you know that the car is engineered to be driven at sustained speeds of 130 mph + -- in Germany it is, and largely without incident (the new model sold in Europe has a top end close to 150). My current car, an Acura TL, is limited to 146 mph for the U.S. market. To me this says the car was engineered to be stable and safe at these speeds, and has been designed for and tested at these speeds. If you want to compete with these foreign upstarts, then get with the program, GM.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Consider the influence of tort lawyers who love to sue GM.
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    I know. They're parasites for sure. However, not all GM cars are limited so low (e.g. Corvette, and I think, Cobalt SS supercharged). And lawyers can also have a go at the competition -- it doesn't seem to deter them. Look at what they did to Audi after a daft 60 Minutes story and a driver who didn't know the difference between the gas and brake pedals.

One other thing about the SS -- there should be a no cost spoiler delete option and the ability to order without the SS logos on the headrests. Nothing wrong with them but my personal preference would be to do without these.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Pretty rare that someone would not want the SS logos. I am surprised to see the spoiler delete is not available on an order though.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    Don't believe the GM email. I have read in all vehicles the top speed is based on the tire speed rating.
    Why would GM spend the extra money to install a W speed tire if the car has a limiter to 105 mph.
    Secondly, I have had my 01 Impala 3.8L to 105 mph and it's not a high performance vehicle.
    I can't remember where I read this but the top speed for the SS is around 125 mph.
  • Car and Driver has the 06' Pontiac Grand Prix GPX top speed listed "Top speed (governor limited): 143 mph"....

Both these cars share the same powertrain/tranny etc... I'm sure the SS is around the same top speed.
  • worrworr Posts: 45
    nkeen wrote: "I'm not advocating driving at such speeds in the U.S.,"

You could have fooled me!
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    I agree about the SS logos on the headrests. Little too "boy racer" for my taste. If you want to offer something of substance, offer the Grand Prix GXP front seats and performance brakes on the SS....
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The 2006 Impala with the 3.9 V6 ungoverned top speed is 142 mph. (Police testing at Michigan in Sept 05) I believe the SS top speed would be in the high 140s. The Dodge V8 Hemi is over 150 mph (not that it matters) The 2000 - 2005 Impala 3800 engines top speed ungoverned is 131 mph. but all were governed at 107 mph. I believe the SS isn't governed at 105mph.

I'm 56 (not a boy racer) I like the SS emblems on the headrest. (to each his own) The interior of the SS is plain enough without a little bit of spice to it. Take away the SS emblems inside and you have a plain LTZ interior. Better side bolstered bucket seats are needed in the SS as what they have in the GXP or even the Monte Carlo. Also put the letters back on the console for the PRNDL. That area of the car looks too plain as well. If its extra I will pay!. The SS seats are too plain for a model called Super Sport. Thats what super sport means. Sport. There is no sport showing inside the SS model. Most car mags and testers have been saying this since this car came out. BLAND! Spice it UP! If you don't want that, buy an LTZ (its the same interior) without SS emblems.
    Consumer Reports confirms that the major drawbacks to the redesign are in braking and rear seat room. I assume they will fix the for :( mer but not much hope for the rear seat.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    "If you don't want that, buy an LTZ (its the same interior) without SS emblems."

And without the 303 hp V-8. That's my problem with cars these days. If you want decent power, you also have to live with the flamboyant tack-on crap. Whatever happened to subdued, classy American performance? First thing I did was remove the "wing" from my 2004 GTO. Aussies make the wing optional on their version (Monaro). Mags trashed GTO cause it didn't have all the scoops and tack-on junk that they historically bashed Pontiac for over the years. I guess I'm obviously in the minority here, since your view seems to be the popular one. All I'm saying is "give us a choice!"
    I agree with you that choices would be better for these cars then having them loaded like most are. I often talk about the chevys from the 60s where you could by a bare bones Impala or Impala SS and go through 5 or 6 pages of options and taylor make the car the way you want it. Back then you could order one of 6 or 7 engine variatons in an Impala SS from two 6 cylinder engines up to 425 hp V8. You had choices of 5 or 6 rear end gear ratios, from highway gears to all out drag racing 4.56/1.00 ratio. Choices are better. I am sure there are those that would like a 2006 Impala SS without the V8......GM give us choices, not what you think we want/need!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    Try picking your list of options on an Accord. I don't think we're going back to that era. I studied the list from Edmunds (book at the time) and dealers would give the check sheet copy to you. I picked and made the car exactly what I wanted. Now it's package A, B, or C.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    As mentioned in one reply, it's all about the tires. There is no way the SS would be governed to 105 mph, maybe in second gear. Besides it would pretty funny seeing a Cavalier or Aveo pass it up. I also saw in a magazine (don't recall) that it is governed to go into the 140 mph range. The previous V8 SS from the 1990's was governed for 130 mph. I spoke with people who said they got it up to 130 mph, but no further. There are some chips and other devices to reprogram the top speed if someone really cares.
  • You have a choice. Go buy a 2004 Cadillac DTS. Big V8 -no SS badges, super ride, passes everything on the road and you can get it in black with tinted windows. I have a 2003 base model and it is a great road car. I've ordered a 2006 Impala 2LT just for town driving and an occasional short trip. No comparison between the Cadillac and the Impala but if you want something where you can tromp down on the pedal and pass Ma and Pa Kettle in their '94 LeSabre at a hundred you need to get a Caddy. Certified ones with 6 year 100k warranties are all over the place at less than $30k. Fun city!
  • I just rented an 06 Impala and am impressed with the improved fit and finish of GM cars. The plastic interior panels have a better look and feel than previous GM cars. Some gripes while driving: my rental has a column shifter and the lever obliterates about 1/4 of the audio display when it's in the D position, the mirrors are puny and can GM do something about the lime-green dash illumination? The whitish-blue color on previous models was much better. The dual climate control knobs turn too easily and are hard to adjust properly. My Accord has more rear seat room than this car. Otherwise, I think this is a solid car and I feel safe and confident driving it.
  • Makes me feel good about ordering a 2LT. I'm glad I asked for the bucket seats and the floor lever. Didn't know about the green dash illumination -do you mean the instrument illumination? I remember green gauge lighting on cars in the 50's. It will bring back the old days.
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    HI. I am Canadian and a Gm worker. I bought the new 06 Impala LTZ model and have already had a recall notice in the first week and the radio replaced not to mention the engine coolant system malfunctioning. Ive had that problem fixed or so I thought until the problem re-occurred the other day. So back to the Dealership I go. So yeah I would tend to agree. Wait a year or so until they get all the bugs out. Other than that the 06 model is a heck of an improvement over the 05.

EH men
    With the very strong competitive market today GM should not be having these problems with the 06 Impala, first year or not first year. The 00-05 had their share of grief for a lot of purhasers. I would think by now cooling system problems, radio glitches, noises clicking behind the dashboard etc should not be happening. These problems might be one of the reasons that Motor Trend took the Impala off the reccommended list. Come on Chevy you have been building cars for 95 years, lets get it right! Honda/Toyota/Hyundai with better warranties/less problems and being relatively new car companies are making you look bad.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    These are a small number of owners reporting problems. The number not reporting them is huge. The importance always get magnified on the discussion groups.

Has MT taken Honda products off their lists because of the ongoing transmission problems? The noises and door problems in Odysseys? The Noise and oscillations in running gear in the Pilots? Note the transmissions problems at Honda keep popping up for oh more than a decade and the fix is give people a new one or install an oil jet?

You should check JDR to determine the number of problems and if that's a meaningful statement or not.
    >Honda/Toyota/Hyundai with better warranties/less fewer problems
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    My feeling exactly. I was seriously considering buying an SS this spring, but will wait another year until Chevy gets their act together. The noise behind the dash alone would be enough to keep me from buying one. I replied in an earlier thread that Edmunds reported a 6.4 second 0-60 run with a brand new SS. This conflicts with other car reviews I've read so far, which says it should be in the 5.7-5.8 second range. It could be the new 5.3 engines aren't that consistent yet. I also read about some earlier stalling problems linked to the DOD system. I haven't seen anything lately though.
    I have been driving nothing but chevys for 38 years but not afraid to point out problems that they have had. If a problem arises and GM fixes the problems right away then thats a different matter. But GM has a bad habit of not correcting problems right away, and many people out of warranty have paid dearly. Again I drive Chevys but not afraid to give accolades to Accord/Camry that have been #1 & 2 in US sales for the past many years. The Japanese must be still doing something right if they can still outsell this American Car company on its own turf. Chevy almost lost the ability to sell police cars for 2006 because they didn't correct a braking problem right away, that FAILED the 2006 Impala in its initial testing. That alone is inexcusable today. If I was contemplating a new Impala, I would wait until next years model, hopefully many of these annoying issues will have been addressed.
  • zjimzjim Posts: 51
    It's really unfortunate that the media doesn't report the significant number of problems on some Honda and other foreign vehicles. They seem to have "group think" when it comes to criticizing American products, but, for the most part, ignore our foreign competitors problems. When American companies produce a great car, it is virtually unmentioned. I found it very interesting, but irritating that the media didn't report last years J.D. Powers quality rating for Buick. The only car that was rated higher in initial quality was Lexus. Every other car, both foreign and American was rated below!

I work with a gentleman who purchased a new 2005 Honda Odyssey and had so many problems with the car in the first 3 months of ownership, that they ordered a new vehicle for him. So far, so good, but his confidence in Honda's reputation is forever tarnished. It seems he never had ANY problem, other than normal maintenance with his two previous Dodge Caravans!! His story is not all that extraordinary. I've spoke with others who have had problems with their Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens, and yes, . . . Mercedes!

I'm one of those who commented on the "clicking" noise coming from the dash board on my '06 3LT, especially in extremely cold weather. Well, the car now has just over 1000 miles and the noise has disappeared. I'm thinking, more than ever, that it was the plastic duct work expanding at connecting points in the system. That is the only negative that I've been able to report. Nobody is more fussy than I am and I can point to a few minor quality issues, but at the price point that I bought this car for, it's a pretty nicely built and performing car!
  • jz68jz68 Posts: 61
    For anyone who has been following my posts about the problem I've been having with the clicking noises I thought I'd share what was found to be the problem.

It wasn't the TSB mentioned in an earlier reply to my post. That TSB only applied to the V6 engine (I have the SS). My problem was being caused by electrical components in the dash getting cold and then clicking and popping as they warmed up. The solution was for additional insulation to be added. I picked up my car today and haven't heard another noise. Today is one of the coldest days in the past few weeks so I'm pretty sure that the problem has been solved. :)
    The lack of rear leg and headroom is inexcusable IMO. This is supposed to be a family sedan and it is about a foot longer than other popular sedans so it should be roomier, right? At least my 03 has a distinctive style and doesn't look like a Toyota.
  • axle52axle52 Posts: 36
    HI Again.

My LTZ has been repaired. The dealership reprogrammed the PCM. I pick up the Impala tomorrow at the dealership. My fingers are crossed that the problem has been solved. I might add that GM is only as good as their design people and engineers. The people that assemble their cars are not the problem.
  • Question for everyone:
    To order an Impala with the heated leather bench seats, one must get the 3L option which forces you to get the bigger 3.9L engine. For me, after driving a 90 Suburban for 262K miles, I want the most efficent engine and for the life of me can't figure out why a person must get a bigger engine to get the leather seats seats? Of course I don't understand why the 3.9L is an option when the 5.3L V8 get roughly the same MPG and has more HP. Of course the HP on the 3.5L is actually 1 HP more than my Suburban. Plenty of power in my opinion for the weight of the car. After test driving both, the 3.9L was overkill. Any Chevey marketing folks out there? - Offer all the bells and whistles of the car with the small engine! Some folks think it is powerful enough.
    Just my thoughts - Anyone else?
    Dave
    I believe the media is fair when it comes to comparing new vehicles. Many in the media have been around for years and they and the consumers remember in the not too distant past the big three made a lot of junk. Chevy made a lot of cars previous that only lasted a few years, and some had a long run but again were terminated. Vega, Citation, Celebrity, Cavalier, Camaro etc. The Japanese tend to keep improving what they have rather then starting all over again with new models like the big three seems to do. When they do that the bugs have to be wrung out of each of them. By the time they get it right the model is dumped and the process starts all over again. This 2006 Impala is an improvement over the previous model and so it should be. Strong rumours now are that the future Impala could be RWD (the process starts again!) I am sure Honda/Toyota etc have had their share of problems. One or two instances of a reliability issue with a certain vehicle really isn't an insight of a vehicles overall dependability. Comparable cars in the same segment that continually have top sales is the real measuring stick of a cars popularity/reliability. Again I am not endorsing Japanese cars but the CIVIC, ACCORD, CAMRY etc. have been around for decades and are improved every couple years. They probably have more second, third, fourth time purchasers then any other car company. They have probably the top resale values over any US manufacturer, and thats very important to the consumer.....VALUE!..This 2006 Impala is the third time in its history its come back. If it had just stayed from the beginning and improved every couple years & kept up with the modern changes it would be the real winner it should be instead of having to work out the bugs of each new design. How many billions are wasted by the big three because of poor market planning when models are dumped after two or three years Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Marauder, Pontiac Aztec etc and soon to be Chevy SSR just to name a few. After nearly 100 years in the auto business you would think GM/Ford/DC would know this by now. We don't continually need new models, just make the ones we have better every couple years.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I've only owned American cars, so don't get me wrong.

The current Accord is all-new, the current Camry is in its 2nd generation only. Yet, they have overall better quality than their American competitors, newer and older designs. So, it's not the fact that American companies rehash designs more often, the problem lies elsewhere, everywhere: design, manufacturing, etc.

IMHO, the worst problem is the pensions and health-care liabilities. It's said that they cost a few hundreds in each domestic car. That's a few hundreds that's not spent in technology, accessories, materials, production and investments.

As someone joked, the two remaining American companies are not in the car business, but in pensions and health-care. :D