Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    I plan on buying a SUV (either Tribeca or Highlander V6 AWD). If I buy a Tribeca, I would go with a 7-passenger Ltd with a GPS navigation system and auto-dimming rear view mirror. My question is what other optional stuff should I get. I don't want a rear-seat DVD system.

Do any of you have any experience (in terms of functionality and operability versus the cost) with the following accessories:
    Moonroof air deflector (would this reduce wind noise); Puddle lights (where are they located); Cargo-area compartment cover; Cargo-area nets; Security system shock sensor; Hood protector; Front bumper underguard; Splash guards; and Wheel locks.

Are they worth the extra bucks?

Tribeca 7-pass Ltd already has a multifunction screen displaying audio system info, clock, ambient temp and trip computer functions. Should I get the optional multifunction screen to include a display of the navigation system info? I assume the navigation system already has a display without the optional multifunction screen. Then, what is the advantage of having the optional multifunction screen?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    From what I've read on this forum, puddle lights and splash guards are a definite yes. One puddle light is located in the sill below each door. I'd also call the cargo nets a definite yes, as they keep stuff from rolling around back there. Cargo-area compartment cover is cheap, flimsy and not worth the money. We're hoping Subaru adds one soon that is more like what they use on their other models. Shock sensor and wheel locks probably not... only if you think your vehicle is likely to get broken into or have the wheels stolen. Hood protector... optional, may increase wind noise and decrease fuel economy a teeny bit; you may also want to consider StoneGard (sp?) or some other clear film to protect the hood from rock chips. Front bumper underguard seems to be mostly cosmetic, so it's up to your sense of aesthetics. Haven't heard much talk about the moonroof air deflector... like the hood deflector, it may decrease fuel economy a teeny bit.

As far as other accessories, the rear bumper cover is A MUST to avoid scratching the bumper's paint when loading/unloading the cargo area! I also think the cargo compartment tray is a must to protect the carpet back there from any dirt or spills. If you do a lot of hiking or otherwise getting dirty/wet/muddy, you may want to consider the rubber all-weather floor mats for occasional use.

Here's a link to the Tribeca accessory page at subaru.com where you can view photos and descriptions of them.

You may also find this link to cars101.com's Tribeca options page helpful. It lists most of these accessories and shows the MSRP of each followed by the invoice price in parenthesis.

As far as the multifunction information screen, it is not an option - it's standard on every Tribeca. If you purchase navigation, you get the nav computer mounted below the driver's seat plus the multifunction screen becomes a touchscreen to display and interact with the nav system. I believe it still retains all of its capabilities as an information screen.

I'm sure others here who are actually Tribeca owners will offer advice too. Whether it's the Subaru or the Toyota, try to get all of your accessories thrown in at invoice price when you purchase, rather than adding these things later. Happy hunting to you.
  • Options
    tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    For those of you who already purchased the Tribeca, I am wondering what kind of range you're getting in terms of miles per full tank. Please also describe you're typical drive (surface vs freeway).

I am deciding between the Tribeca, MDX, Pilot, and Highlander. Only test drove the Tribeca so far, the only complaint is the softness of the suspension...
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I don't think Acura was cheating with numbers, but that they had a slightly different method of testing. The cars will still go from 0-60 the same, and there's no difference in performance, just a difference in brochure numbers.
  • Options
    bt2bt2 Member Posts: 11
    To any Tribeca owners

Does anyone know how to disable the distracting "Passenger Airbag On"/"Passenger Airbag Off" light in the message center? Can't understand why this is always lit and I don't like it. I've never seen it function this way on other cars.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think that airbag warning light is on all '06 Subarus. I know it's also on the Impreza.

Bob
  • Options
    tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    This article is pretty favorable. The only things that weren't so great was the lack of seat comfort and strained power. If you would like to read it you have to sign up but it is FREE. Here's the link:

http://www.windingroad.com/article/2005_october/subaru_tribeca?src=email&link=issue_5_suba- ru_tribeca
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think with a taller rear window you'd just notice this less. The Forester's rear window is very low, good for visibility backing up, bad in terms of glare from headlights behind you.

You think that's bad, try a Miata. You're at eye level with SUV headlights. One with HIDs behind me actually gets a bit painful.

mayberryguy: 01G is a go, thanks.

NAV option is awesome. It's not cheap, but I'll admit it's the feature I remember most from a month or so ago when I had one.

In fact we just ordered a NAV system yesterday that we will use in our other Subies, a Garmin Street Pilot c320.

bt2: yes. Black Electrical Tape. :D

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Re: the pass airbag/seatbelt lights -- this is a new law apparently -- all cars will be like this. Subaru first implemented it on the 05 Leg/OB models.

Craig
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Range will be roughly around 300 miles depends on your driving condition. Gas tank is only 16.9 G, smallest among its peers. You can find typical mileage in quite a few posts yesterday.
  • Options
    The cars will still go from 0-60 the same, and there's no difference in performance, just a difference in brochure numbers.

Yes, the car still accelerates the same, i.e. as the the car with 253HP not 265 HP ;) HP numbers do sway some potential buyers. So I'd say Acura cheated.
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Unfortunately you have to pay to subscribe to read the entire article...bummer :-(

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    oes anyone know how to disable the distracting "Passenger Airbag On"/"Passenger Airbag Off" light in the message center?

Maybe with a 2" x 2" sticky note? :-)

Actually I am sure it's another one of the insurance companies/govenrnment's C-Y-A angles. It's for our own good...but if we are staring at it in traffic, and have a wreck, who can we sue?

Kidding aside, it IS definitely annoying and sort of distracting. Hopefully they can tone it down a bit next year...

-Karen-
  • Options
    Keep in mind that was just a rumor, I haven't been able to confirm that yet. A Google search yielded nothing.

-juice
  • Options
    I had splash guards installed earlier this week, as I posted previously. With the puddle lights installed, the tech opted (smartly) to disconnect the battery and pull the wiring down out of the way before drilling holes for the guards. I had to reset the radio stations, clock setting (24-hr back to 12-hr), and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. My Nav settings and addresses, etc. were intact.

Weird thing, though, the seat belt chime did NOT revert back to its annoying self...it's still off and behaving itself. Maybe there's a chip that stores some of that info? Or maybe the battery was only disconnected briefly, and not long enough to lose other settings?

-Karen-
  • Options
    Yeah Karen, it is annoying. I don't see why this warning light can't just go off when you put the car in gear.

Same with that goofy software-like warning/agreement on the NAV screen when you start up the car... What's with that?

Bob
  • Options
    The "Lawyer Screen" is industry-standard, I believe.

The funny thing is even the portable Garmin I'm buying has that!

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured that out, but why??? Can you copy the software and use it on another car?

Bob
  • Options
    The manufacturer of the NAV system doesn't want to get sued for distracting the driver. If you stare at the NAV screen instead of the road, I'm sure that could cause an accident.

That's why voice commands are so key. You only take an occasional glance at the map. In fact for us we could relax more since we knew the voice would warn us of an oncoming turn, so in that way we drove more safely.

-juice
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    The Nav agreement thing is purely a legal CYA thing - and very aggrevating to say the least.

The passenger air bag thing has some validity, though somewhat annoying.

Hopefully the Air Bag message might save the life of a baby who's brain dead parent straps their car seat in the front passenger's seat and gets into a head-on and the airbag deploys possibly killing the baby.

Reminding the driver the bag is armed has merit, but why leave the OFF message
    lit when in gear.
  • Options
    My biggest gripe about the lawyer's screen is that even after we agree with the warning - we still are not allowed to use use the full system while driving.

If I agree to hold the factory harmless - then let me use my $2000 investment when I need it.
  • Options
    bt2bt2 Member Posts: 11
    I see that Subaru recommends "premium gasoline" for the B9. Has anyone tried 87 or 89 octane?
  • Options
    Reminding the driver the bag is armed has merit, but why leave the OFF message
    lit when in gear.

Lawyers are very thoughful sometimes ;)

If you happen to put some item in passenger seat and the item is heavy enough (like a case of cash) to trigger the sensor to indicate someone is sitting there, it is possible if passenger side side-airbag fires, the object may hit the driver. So, the light can give you an inidication of whether or not such risk exists.
  • Options
    87 is the requirement, premium is only recommended. We've confirmed this from several sources, include the Product Manager himself.

Hi Dave. :D

newbie - hey, they should use that passenger seat sensor to determine there is a passenger that can operate the NAV for you.

Let the two Lawyers fight it out, sort of.

Seat Lawyer: I say there is a passenger

NAV Lawyer: Oh, OK, in that case I'll allow the full use of the NAV.

But really you should pull over if you are going to enter a new destination. Imagine, typing "12345" and then "Democracy Bouleva

*CRASH*

You can't keep your eyes off the road for that long, nor should you.

-juice
  • Options
    sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    This light is present in my wife's 2005 Solara convertible. It can get annoying. The light should go on on start-up and then turn itself off in a few minutes, IMHO.
  • Options
    sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    No, it's free. I just "subscribed" for no cost and down-loaded the entire Sept-Oct issue.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    if someone in the passenger seat is too lite, else it does not stay on.
  • Options
    I think we agree - but are saying it differently.

Using your example - something heavy is sitting on the seat, the indicator will say Air Bag ON.

So your are warned of the danger.

What I said was if there nothing in the seat, once you put car in drive - turn off the AIR BAG OFF message. If the BAG is on leave the ON message displayed.
  • Options
    Everything in life is a trade off.

Just like most people are honest, most people use reasonable judgment and care while driving.

I agree allowing use of the destination entry feature requires extreme care - a careful drive can do it safely.

Since I live in a congested urban area I consider pulling over on a heavily traveled street or road to enter a destination not only an inconvenience but dangerous as well.

I don't think people should use a cell phone while driving unless it is voice activated and hands free - having said that - most people do it anyway with reasonably good results. The act of dialing a phone manually requires that you totally take your eyes off the road.

While using the touch screen you are still looking in the same direction of the windshield and are much more likely to see whats happening then while dialing a phone.

Maybe we need regualations that in the future only permit NAV systems that are voice operated like in the Infiniti M or Accura RL. Those systems cost no more than ours.

The lawyers are not try to make cars crash proof - rather they want to make their clients judgement proof.

The real problem is that people who do stupid things and get hurt can sue. Remember the lady that sued McDonalds because their hot coffee was hot. How dare someone serve hot coffee. Sue those those arrogant fools :) Oh and lets not forget the McDonalds is also guilty of making people fat.
  • Options
    I like mine iced. But I order it that way. :)

Sadly things in the automotive world tend to get dumbed down rather than being designed for the smartest drivers. That is almost universal.

Example - the hideous yellow stickers on the passenger visors warning people not to put baby seats there, as if I had not heard that 1,000 times before.

-juice
  • Options
    sti_krayziesti_krayzie Member Posts: 3
    on the speed channel they said that the B9 is the best suv they've seen. It is kind of good because its made by a good quality car manufactur
  • Options
    sti_krayziesti_krayzie Member Posts: 3
    Overall i think the B9 is a great suv
  • Options
    What program? Sounds cool...

I think that in its price range, it's the most fun-to-drive 7 seater for sure, and that's my first criteria. All the goodies you can get are icing on the cake.

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My biggest gripe about the lawyer's screen is that even after we agree with the warning - we still are not allowed to use use the full system while driving.

If you are entering data into your NAV and hit me, I'm going to look to you and the NAV company for damages. So the limitation on use of the full system is probably intended to protect all drivers not just the NAV owners. And it helps protect the NAV company a bit too I suppose.

I guess you missed the recent studies that show driving while talking on a hand's free cell phone isn't safe either? (CNN)

We did the McDonald's thing a couple of years ago - some of us think they got everything they deserved in that hot coffee suit. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    drjochen1drjochen1 Member Posts: 5
    OK, we test drove a Tribeca 7 seater with Nav. We liked it (have a 2001 Outback right now). We am looking for very honest opinions of current owners with the car. Have you had any regrets buying it? Whats good and whats bad?
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    I kinda wish I'd gotten NAV. Even though it would have meant the additional cost of a 7 passenger ltd over our 5 passenger ltd, plus the cost of the NAV. Otherwise, no regrets.
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Yes you should. I've driven over 5,000 miles in my 7pass NAV/DVD puddle lights and other goodies... I have no, zip, zero regrets. In fact I like the vehicle more and more. I'm used to the small back window and it's limited vision. I love the NAV and find it more useful that I thought I would. Can you save money with a Garmin of something similar? Sure, but I like the integrated system that mutes the radio as it gives you directions. It is fun to drive and comfortable even for a 6'6" guy like me. I think the 3rd row is quite useless unless you have small children but it does not concern me as I will never use it. In fact I bought the 5 pass rear cargo tray. Fuel economy is reasonable for what it is... I drive a lot of miles and have gotten very close to 24 mpg on highway trips.

It is a very solid, quiet, comfortable vehicle made by a company known for its safety and quality. Buy one and be prepared for some fun! :D
  • Options
    papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    I agree with photoguy. I highly recommend this vehicle. Nothing compares to the value of this vehicle in the SUV world. I have a black/tan 7-passenger limited fully loaded Tribeca, and I now have 5000 mile on it. No regrets! I have "hard-wired" my satellite radio and the kids playstation 2 to the vehicle, and everyone is in heaven. We have been looking to buy another vehicle for my wife since we took delivery of our Subaru, and we cannot pull the trigger on anything else. NOTHING ELSE WILL DO! My mom drove mine and ordered one six days later.... and she did not need a new car. The Subaru B9 Tribeca is something special. Anyone who tells you differently is not being straight with you.

Randy
  • Options
    Good Stuff Randy!

You say you hard wired the satellite radio... Karen and I would love to know if you then got behind the dash and have personally seen the back of the radio. We desperately want to "hard wire our Ipod" as do many others I'm sure. Any info you have on your hard wire would be very appreciated on this forum.

John
  • Options
    popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    What is good: Very comfortable to drive.
    Short Front end, easy to pull up and park.
    Lay out of controls are very easy to get to.
    Handling of vehicle is easy to deal with.

What is bad: I have to gas up every 250 miles costing $30.00
    The back window is very small and it is hard to see.
    If something is placed behind you like a shopping cart
    or bicycle, you will not be able to see it, because the
    back window is to high.
    I had a police officer pull behind me on a quad runner at
    Virginia Beach, and I couldn't see him. He was sitting
    to low.
    Some of the gauges are hard to see when driving, because
    of the placement of them, and your hands on the wheel while
    driving will block the view.
    The RPM's will run high before shifting when running in automatic
    mode.
    Overall: I love the the new piece Subaru. I would recommend to wait and buy this vehicle after the new changes are implemented. Needs a bigger engine, and having some of the extras, like automatic hatch lift and having a back up sensor and monitor for the navigation would make this ride much more appealing. I own the 7 Passenger with Nav and DVD. So I do appreciate you asking to hear from actual owners.

popa_sez
  • Options
    I am wondering if this adapter would work. I have tried for two weeks to get an answer out of Dension, but they have ignored me. This works with an 8-pin CD changer port. Is this compatible with the P-136 system we?

http://www.besecure2000.com/shop/processtype.asp-processtype-1-productid-9848

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Also, Kenwood makes an iPod adapter that seems compatible with the nav display, and possibly with the Nav system. Would this work in conjunction with the Panasonic audio modules? Any thoughts?

http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip500/

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    I did not disassemble anything to connect my satellite radio and PlayStation to my Tribeca, and I have not seen the back of the factory radio. I am sorry for the confusion. I simply used aftermarket wiring to connect the toys to the jacks in the back of the vehicle. Everything is concealed, and everything works like a charm. The satellite radio is the slick portable Delphi unit that I received as my free gift from Subaru, and it is VERY nice. Having it connected directly to the vehicle, instead of using an FM modulator, makes all the difference in the world. The PlayStation 2 adaptation has allowed our four children to have more fun than anyone should have in a moving vehicle :D As Daniel, one of our five-year-old triplet boys says... "Dad, this is one sweet ride!"

Randy
  • Options
    One inexpensive option for the rearward visability issue is to install sonar sensors in the bumper. My dealer's accesory shop quoted $250.00 and I am going to install them.
  • Options
    Both interesting Karen. Did you write Kenwood? Do we know what model number our unit is?
  • Options
    Dension adapters will not work on the Leg/Outback HU because it does not have an external CD changer jack, and I doubt the Tribeca is any different. I have seen DIN CD-changer ports, and the only Subaru radios that used them were a few model years ago (when CD changers were normally add-ons "external" to the head unit). I believe there's an example of this on an older head unit (Forester I think) over on nabisco forums.

As for the Kenwood adapter, Alpine and several other aftermarket HU manufacturers also sell one, but it only works on their aftermarket radios that can control same-brand CD changers or have some sort of bus-link standard. I really doubt these would work with an OEM factory radio even if made by the same company. Again, it's the lack of a CD changer jack on the factory radio that is the main problem.

Until someone looks at the back of the radio (HINT HINT!!), we really won't know anything. The one thing in the Tribeca head unit's favor is that is can accomodate both DVD and Nav, suggesting it has some sort of aux-in port. But I would not expect a CD changer port.

Craig
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    have had my silver 7 ltd with Nav/GPS, puddle lights, dimming mirror (soon to be tow pkg, hood protector, mudflaps, aero bar)...

a few things I miss from my Pacifica. power rear lift gate, driver side outside dimming mirror, the ability to load 6 DVDs in the changer from the driver seat! (the cd changer is also the DVD player). my Bluetooth handsfree system. ability to change stations from preset to preset on the steering wheel and adjustable peddle height. oh and also miss the HID lighting that I had on the Pac.

things I thought were issues but are not: Viewing Gauges = the steering wheel when adjusted you can see 99% of the gauges. Acceleration = pickup from a stop. it has a bit of very low end torque to get you going then runs out of steam as you start accelerating. but if your going to have medium acceleration all the way vs fast accel in the beginning and slower from there. the latter is the way to go for passing or getting on the highway from a stop.

the rear window viewability = you guys need to drive a Pacifica. the blind spot on the Becca is about 25% the size of the Pacifica. I had to put fisheye mirrors on the Pacifica to see the rear corner panel area. and forget about viewing low stuff out the rear window! I can easily maneuver the B9.

Questions I have -
    1. can you get the outside temp to always appear on the display when in Navigation MAP mode?
    2. is there a break in period for the B9s? ie first 600 miles keep under 50 mph?
    3. does the engine share any of the parts from the Outback same size engine? ie. Air Filter? would love to switch to a K&N reusable air filter.
  • Options
    Those Pacifica features you listed were indeed good ones!

What motivated you to trade for a Tribeca?

Normal Subaru break-in is 1000 miles. The main thing to avoid is cruising at a fixed RPM for any length of time (ie, a long highway trip with cruise on). It's good to vary speed/RPM during break-in, which you can do just by driving around town or by varying speed on the highway every few miles. It's actually good to workout the engine moderately, but stay out of high RPM (anything higher than about 4500).

As far as I know, the H6 is identical with the Outback. I expect the air filter to be the same, but honestly, intakes are one of those things that are often custom to each installation of an engine, so that's a gray area for sure!

I have read good and bad things about the K&N, and overall I have been sticking with the factory filters. Subarus use an intake resonator to tune the standing wave pattern in the intake, and anything you do to change the intake could potentially have a negative effect. Even if the K&N results in lower losses and free-er (sp?) flow, that may throw the intake charge out of whack and negate the effect or make it worse. I can't tell you how many people mess with Subaru intakes, but dyno data consistently shows stock is the best. I really think the Subaru engineers optimized the intake as-is, even if it's using a dumb old paper filter.

Craig
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    It's fairly easy to pop off the trim panel below the console, on the passenger side. Then, if you are something of a contortionist, you can see part of the back of the radio. I spent about an hour trying to get a good look, in hope of discovering a port awaiting a connector. No luck. If I try again, I'll probably use a mirror in hope of seeing the upper part of the back panel.
  • Options
    rmjonesrmjones Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you install the auto dimming mirror on the Tribeca. I just tried to and could not find the pre wired harness after taking the roof lights console off. Any clues? For example which side is it on? Drivers or Passengers?