Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jetta TDI, Civic Hybrid, or Prius?

13»

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Why would you test drive a car

I test drive lots of cars, only buy a few. If I liked it better than the Passat, I would buy one. It is doubtful as handling is close to the top of my list on owning a car. If I decided to buy a Prius I would put 7500 miles on the Passat that I love to drive, then sell it for more than I paid, to a VW TDI starved market in CA. If you have researched as I have, many used VW TDIs bring more used in CA than they did when they were new. As far as reliability the Prius is not stellar according to many posters on this forum. I guess I will find out for myself how good the VW is. I have NO brand loyalty, a car dies on me and it is going to get some bad press. I guarantee that.
  • Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Why would you test drive a car??

Wouldn't it be wiser to scope out your choices? :P
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Too bad - plenty of good posts had to get deleted tonight because they were OFF TOPIC. This discussion isn't about hybrid trucks to those posts were deleted.
  • Options
    mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    My own humble opinion regarding commuter cars:

#1 HCH. Normal car that can get fantastic MPG which relies less on batteries.
    #2 Prius. Unique, attractive styling. Fantastic MPG but relies more on batteries.
    #3 Insight. Unique, attractive styling. Stellar MPG but only seats 2. Relies less on batteries.
    #4 Other conventional Civics (EX, HX etc) and the other good MPG cars like Corolla.
    #5 Many mid-size autos that get fair MPG (25-30) that are proven safe & reliable.
    #6 Jetta TDI for good MPG but reliability, pollution (especially after a couple of years), and diesel availability issues.

This is not an anti-diesel post, as I think TDI is indeed a good car over many. Just not the best choice over hybrid or a few conventional cars.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    OK - we are on the hybrids v. diesels again and completely missing the title of this discussion. The discussion will be closed until Monday while we remove the off-topic posts. After that - we'll start removing the members that can't stop picking fights or making this into the ever-ranting diesel v. hybrid and not allow them to post in this discussion.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well since it's raining out and that helped me avoid the yard work I've been putting off, this was an interesting way to spend a morning. Just a couple of words of what I hope is wisdom...

It's GREAT that everyone is so passionate about things, and ready to share their knowledge and opinions with everyone. That really helps make these forums a valuable source of information and enjoyable activity for everyone. But there are a few things to remember that will help things move along smoothly without these..err... interuptions!

We're dealing with opinions here, and just like noses, no two are going to be exactly alike. Chances are that you're going to see things that you might not agree with. You might even see things that are just plain incorrect. Those are not reasons to question the intelligence, ancestry, sanity, physical contortions, or honesty (among other things) of the person posting those opinions or "defective facts". Make your counter point, display your side of things, and keep the discussion moving forward. Don't fall into the trap of letting these discussions get personal. If it's an irreconcilable difference, agree to disagree and move on. Which brings me to the next big pitfall...

Don't try to "prove" anything on the forums. Just not going to happen. As much as you KNOW that you're right and they're wrong, realize that they're going to change their mind just about the time that you agree to see things their way. The yelling and screaming between the start of the debate and the realization that it's hopeless is something we all should try to avoid!

And a pet peeve of mine, even though it's a device people use to clarify what they're responding to... I just see more of these situations escalated when people start pulling quotes from one another's posts to refute things point by point. It goes back to the futility of trying to prove something to someone on a message board. it's likely that they'll only hear "Wha wha whwha..." like what happens to me when someone starts to talk about life insurance, AND you get the added bonus of the other guy having the opportunity of saying you took him out of context!

Now onto the specific situation of THIS topic.

It's supposed to be a comparison topic between the named vehicles. I KNOW that diesel vs hybrid is going to be part of that since the TDI is a diesel vehicle. But as we have discovered, diesel vs hybrid is a highly toxic subject and has to be handled carefully. Once we spin off into that, we go off into trucks and from there into big vehicles and then to SUV's and before you know it you have
    I don't like SUV's, why do you?.
    Follow that link if you want to see how badly that story turned out.

Keep it centered around the topic titles and we'll be fine. Nobody will have to be shot, tactical airstrikes can be avoided, and we'll all live to see another day.

Again, we really appreciate your enthusiasm and passion about these topics. But remember that this is also supposed to be ENJOYABLE as well.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

I
This discussion has been closed.