Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• Options
    cthundercthunder Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if any one has experienced alignment issues with the new Optimas. I had a 2006.5 which required an alignment at 1500 miles.It took two alignments to take care of the problem (driver's side front tire was worn down to the tire wear indicator bars).I now have an 07 which has gone through two alignments in 1700 miles.Explanation from the service department was that it was probably knocked out of alignemt during shipping (due to the fact that it may have been strapped down improperly). In both situations, vehicle drifts to the left and the service department keeps insisting that every thing is within specs and that the steering wheel is just off center (which they say is acceptable).If that is really the case, then why is the front passenger tire not showing any kind of wear?
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Man that really scares me about KIA.Mine does not have the problem you described,but I do feel like I'm sitting on a ticking bomb.Maybe I should get rid of this :lemon: brand while its still has any value at all.I'm thinking about a Prius. :blush:
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    You've got to be setting records for changing your mind about the Optima. I can guarantee you one thing. If you trade it off you WILL take a bath. Kias only make sense if you drive them into the ground.

From my point of view the car has displayed very few weaknesses so far. Single or small incidents don't count for much.

I was oblivious to the steering problems on my Malibu before I read the specific posts dealing with that area, and there were dozens of incidents-- my $800 steering column being one of many. Haven't seen that with the Optima yet.
  • Options
    imacheapsk8imacheapsk8 Member Posts: 31
    I agree with you csandste... A single incident doesn't count for much. As for me and my Optima, I've experienced no alignment issues at all, or any issues (other than a seat sensor) for that matter. In fact, this car has had the least amount of initial quality issues of any new car I've ever owned! I've put on 7500 miles and have been completely impressed me the entire time. I highly recommend the Optima. I recently went to the NYC car show and had the opportunity to examine every manufacturer, and Hyundai/Kia were definitely above their competitors as far as build quality. I personally feel the sound of the Optima doors closing is tops in its class!!!
  • Options
    micro99micro99 Member Posts: 51
    Agree with you about the good quality of the Optima for sure . This car has tremendously good material quality and build quality, both interior and exterior.The car feels lux and is SOLIDLY put together.( Handles pretty nice and rides well too but thats for another time )Just have to look at the reviews on other sites to see evidence of this !

One of the problems with a forum that is visited by relatively few posters is that one or two negative posters, who post repeatedly, can seem to distort everything about the car for other readers.
  • Options
    I have to agree with you CS,but what bothers me is not so much all the glitches that seem to built into this car,but the attitude of the service departments.There seems seems to be a sense of "dont worry about it" with any problem that they cant immediately identify.Honestly,dont you think that in 6 months all of my concerns should have been handled?
    I'm sure you're right about taking a bath with a trade in,so probably I'll just have to continue bitching about some aspects of owning a KIA.I am however going to find out exactly what it's value is to a Toyota dealer.(just out of curiosity)Had the Prius been so plentiful when I bought my KIA,it wouldn't have ever happened.Just bad timing I guess.BTW,have you ever driven a Prius?Its very impressive.
  • Options
    Were you able to get the sensor issue resolved?I thought I had,but last week it showed itself again.
  • Options
    Yes, I was able to get i fixed, thanks for the suggestion! It was a sensor and only took the dealer about 10 minutes. Its perfect now. I think you just have a lousy Kia dealer near you! :) Try another one... I had a great experience at Bonneville and Son (my local Kia Dealer).

Regarding the Prius... I did test drive one, and while i love the awesome gas millage it gets, its not a good driving car. Actually It has downright terrible driving performance. Also, do some research, its not as "green" as it was initially believed to be. It takes more energy to produce and drive a prius its expected lifespan than it takes a Hummer H2 to drive 300,000. That's disgusting! http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188
  • Options
    More "energy"?Exactly what does that mean?It certainly uses a lot less gasoline than a Hummer.
    I have used two dealers with my KIA.One was not only not very efficient but downright rude,but the one I'm using currently is quite pleasant,but still not able to correct my problems.The sensor reflashing was done by an area rep,as the locals ones dont have the required tool.It was perfect for a while,but as I wrote,last week that damned light went on.When I turned off the ignition, and restarted the car it was OK and has been so ever since.
    The reason Im even considering a Prius is my gas mileage.It just hasn't been anywhere near to the 34-24 on the sticker.I haven't even once gotten as high as 15MPG in city driving.Does that make me negative?Perhaps,but at the very least I am disappointed.The way the car drives ,brakes,steers etc. is just fine ,and the moon roof,power seats and all the toys are peachy keen,but I still have issues with the gas consumption and the headlights, as well as the seat sensor.
  • Options
    It means that the energy required during the manufacturing process of the prius totals that of the hummer plus the resources it consumes during a life span of 300,000 miles. Basically, the Prius is good for the consumer MPG wise, but bad for everyone else environmentally, despite its environmentally friendly marketing and consumer perception. People buy them thinking they're environmentally friendly and have been praising Toyota unaware of this huge double standard.

I'm not sure why you're getting the millage you are. I'm averaging 30 MPG. FYI... the seat sensors activate the airbag only when someone is in the passenger seat, and deactivates the airbag when the seat is empty. So, the light should be on when the seat is unoccupied.
  • Options
    I did not intend to scare any one about their new Optimas.I was just wondering if any one had experienced the same problem. To set the record straight,I did not get rid of the 2006.5 Optima because of the alignment issue (it was taken care of by the service department),I only got a 2007 because I liked the looks of the appearance package. I am not in any way bashing the reliability of the new Optimas.As a matter of fact,I put 17,000 miles on my 06.5 in 6 months with out any problems.For me,that says alot about the quality of my Optima considering I wasn't happy with the performance of my former 07 Toyota Camry.
  • Options
    You would lose the capability of using your steering mounted audio controls if you install after-market stereo equipment. According to Bestbuy a few months ago when I shopped for a head unit, certain vehicles have after-market equipments that would enable you to use your steering mounted audio controls, but there's none for the Optima's right now.
  • Options
    I dont know how to respond to your explanation of the light being on when the seat is empty.I'll try not to be too insulted.
    As far as the MPG,I talked to a serv.manager today and he informed me that 12 MPG was acceptable.Not my words.His.Just how do you deal with that?
  • Options
    You traded in your 2006.5 for a 2007?What kind of a deal did they offer you?My 2006.5 is loaded,as far as I know it has every option available on the RX.Listed at around 22,400 and has under 5000K miles.I was offered $12,000.Needless to say I declined.Thats my last attempt to get rid of this car.They win,I lose.Peace.
  • Options
    I don't think Prius's get anything like the EPA figures (admit I haven't checked Edmunds before posting). Today on the radio I heard that the payoff on gas mileage v. increased cost is 250,000 miles. Since there's no straight gas Prius, I'm not sure what they were referring to. Maybe comparing the two Camry models.

There used to be a big tax rebate on the Prius, but no more. Since the end of that, I notice a lot more of them on St. Louis area lots.

I did hear that Prius's with the special California sticker that allows driving single in the carpool lane bring an additional $4000 according to KBB. Good reason not to live in California.

My Optima seems to be averaging 23-25 mixed. Got a bit over 30 on the only highway trip, but that was under a thousand miles. Twelve seems really low. You seem to have very weak dealers.
  • Options
    www.fueleconomy.gov.....look it up.33 Prius Owners report an average of 45.1 MPG.This is actual drivers,not professional testers or EPA.

I probably would average same as you,as long as most of the driving is highway.With a balanced city highway I probably average only around 20.
    I asked a service writer about three issues.The weird light pattern,the gas mileage and the reoccurring passenger seat air bag issue.His response basically was that there was nothing more they could do.The headlights are just designed that way,I wasn't the first to complain,the gas ...if the check engine light didnt come on and there were no leaks,thats bad luck pal.
    It sounds to me that you're really happy with your Optima.I wish I were as happy as you seem to be.I want to point out that I am not as negative about all my cars.My 97 Chrysler Town & Country was the best car I ever owned,and is still in my garage.With the Kia,I guess my biggest disappointment is the gas mileage.
    I will keep it at least another year.Since it has depreciated 50% already since November,that precentage probably go down in another year and I will owe a lot less on it.The biggest problem with the Prius as I see it is ...no power seat..which I love on long drives.I test drove one and I thought it was very comfortable and handled great.
    PS...not sure what reason it would take 250K to recover the cost of a Prius,it lists at no more than my KIA EX,granted that is with less toys,and no leather.I see it as a win-win cost-wise.BTW,love exchanging views with you.All in the spirit of good will.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Perhaps some of you would enjoy checking out the Prius group of discussions. ;)
  • Options
    I was offered $12,800 for mine,and I offered $17,000 for their's.So the trade difference was slightly north of $4,000.My LX was just plain,only thing I added was some after-market wheels from tirerack (which only cost about $420 including shipping charges).Personally,I think you get a deal based on who you are dealing with.Got the 06.5 in Arkansas,got a better deal on the 07 by traveling to Missouri (about 90 miles from home).
  • Options
    Well...I have to drive 40-50 miles no matter where I go,but you really think it was worth the 4K to get essentially the same car?I have looked at 2007s and cant see any difference at all.
    The guy showed me his little black book and made comments that he was being generous by grading it as being in excellent condition.The car is 6 months old and has less than 5000K on it.Evidently the fact it is a loaded EX makes no difference at all,or very little.It evidently is a sellers market.If my car were freshly washed,you could park it with the news ones and you couldn't tell them apart.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to insult you, I thought you were questioning the light regardless of occupancy status. My bad:) Anyway, If indeed you are getting 12MPG, try using your State arbitration laws to your advantage. I know in NH you would have no problems... The state would simply rule that KIA needs to take the car back(after three attempts to fix the problem), and remit your payments in full.
  • Options
    Try posting it on craigslist.com or your local paper... this way you'll get more for it than the "trade-in" value. I sold my Saab on Craigslist for $7,900 even though I was only offered $2900 to $3800 at several different dealers as a trade in. The worst was Toyota who only offered me $2,900!!!!! and the best was $3,800 from Saturn towards their new Aura.
  • Options
    I've pretty much decided to hold on to it for a year and then try again.Maybe I'll look at the Aura Green or the Nissan Hybrid if I can find one.Its in very limited production.Toyota only sold them enough technology for 100,000 units in 5 years.If gas prices really skyrocket,the value of almost any 4 cyl car would be enhanced. :shades:
  • Options
    No problem,maybe I should have thrown in an LOL at the end of that sentence.I really do understand how that light is activated.Unfortunately sometimes IT doesn't seem to understand,lol. :)
  • Options
    Hey! Check out this link... If it screwed with GM it could obviously screw with any manufacturer! You had aftermarket leather installed, Right? Basically GM is buying ~1,000 cars back from their owners because the seat sensors weren't designed to work with the aftermarket leather installed by the dealers. Check it out!

http://www.automotivedigest.com/view_art.asp?articlesID=21513

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    FWIW I have aftermarket leather and absolutely no trouble with the passenger airbag. The dealer did say that a heated aftermarket leather seat would screw up the airbag indicator.
  • Options
    Nope,my leather is factory.
  • Options
    Maybe it's not the aftermarket, it's the heated seats. They said that I could use the heated seats except for the seat (not back) on passenger side. Is there any relationship between running the heated seat and the light?
  • Options
    The heat is factory too,so it shouldn't make any difference.
  • Options
    How do you like the aftermarket leather? does it look factory? I'm thinking of getting it installed. Is it katzkin? do you have any photos?
  • Options
    The 2007 is an LX with the Appearance Package (guess I should have mentioned that earlier).They had Ex's but they all had sunroofs,which I'm not crazy about (funny how you can find them with sunroofs,but hardly any with ABS).Why did I get the Appearance package?It does handle alot better with the 17in tires (drove a brand new LX w/o Appearance Pkg back to back). For a $1,000 you get V-rated Michelin tires selling for $198 a piece on tire-rack, the factory wheels are priced at $320 each.But my biggest reason for getting the 07 was because I got to pick the color I wanted (silver). My 06.5 was white and the only LX on the lot,dealer said it would cost extra to locate a different color for me,and besides the competitive pricing bonus was set to expire in a few days when I bought my 06.5
  • Options
    http://www.roadwire.com

Paid the dealer $500. First leather interior but to me it looks as good as a factory install.
  • Options
    on this board. In the meantime IFCAR named the 4 cylinder Optima the best mid-sized car going (tied with Sonata).
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it (Optima LX) was ranked the best mid-sized car under $21,000, right? And the EX V6 was up there in the rankings also.
  • Options
    What is IFCAR?
  • Options
    Thanks,but strangely the EX is not rated nearly as well.This really puzzles me.The chasis and power train with a 2.4 are identical,yet the EX comes in in the middle of the pack.
  • Options
    Not so strange. Value is a big part of the evaluation, and the EX V6 isn't that much more powerful than the LX I4 but costs a lot more, so the I4 tops the V6 in that reviewer's scoring.
  • Options
    I have an EX I4,so what does that make my car?
  • Options
    I think Backy's rating is right on. I don't think he drove a 4 cylinder EX (haven't checked back, probably should).

I find IFCAR's writing interesting, much like Backy's, but his tests consist of grabbing as many cars as he can and taking a dealer test drive. After rating the Malibu very high for the last several tests he dropped it down to the middle of the pack. Frankly, I like my 'Bu slightly better than the Optima, it's got more stuff on it-- power pedals, much better DIC, the six gets as good or better mpg than the Optima 4 and has lower maintenance costs and (to me at least) is far more comfortable.

It handles worse, and looks uglier, however and if I was doing a fifteen minute drive I'd probably put the Optima ahead of it.

On the Car and Driver forum, I asked IFCAR why he rated the Kia engine tops and the Chrysler/Dodge engines at the bottom of the list (noisy/underpowered) since they're essentially the same engine. He replied that the NVH was much better on the Kia/dais (true, it is). Power I'm not so sure about, but I doubt if he'd pick it up with his testing methods.

Still, more power to him. I read all his reviews and find them quite interesting. I'm glad he has Kia and Hyundai at the head of the pack, it'll drive the Korea haters crazy.
  • Options
    Last time he had the EX-V6 way down on the charts, well below the Hyundai. Frankly, I agree, that there's very little reason to buy a Kia six over the four. He had the same differentiation with the Hyundai's however and there (at least with a quick test drive), the V-6 is a modern and powerful engine (unlike the 2.7).
  • Options
    :surprise: Is it IFCAR who bases the ratings on brief test drives?How about Backy...is he some kind of car expert or is he just a normal car enthusiast like me.
    If you get better mileage on your V6 you must be doing great,because my Optima,at least on the highway is pretty good.Straight highway driven 65-70MPH I averaged 36.1 MPG.
    Of course in town it's another story,I'm sorry to say.
  • Options
    "Normal"? That's a good question...

But, back to the Optima! Whenever I've read a review of the Optima, it praises the I4 and talks about the relatively low power of the V6. I can't figure out why Kia didn't get to put the 3.3L V6 in the Optima, unless its because of supply problems or maybe because Hyundai didn't want the Optima stealing sales from the Sonata V6. Personally, I don't care because the I4 in the Optima (and Sonata) has enough power for my needs. I am eagerly awaiting the IIHS side impact tests on the Optima, so I can hopefully add it to the short list for my next new car (LX I4 automatic with ABS/ESC package).
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Kia Optima is an awesome package overall. And it's styling is classic Kia. That is, great amounts of thought put in to it. No kidding, I still believe my '99 Kia Sephia had it all over Honda's Civic and Toyota's Corolla in the looks department. Kia has made nice strides in quality since 1999 and the new Optima is a great car giving the owner great value. Gas mileage is certainly doable in the Optima, IMO.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Nice to see you back here ILUV, did you buy the Suzuki?

As for mileage, I get about 33 on the road with the Maxx. I haven't quite hit that yet on the Optima but they're notoriously stiff when new. We're taking the first decent road trip this week from St. Louis to Branson. That ought to put another 800 miles or so on the car.

My wife has put fewer miles on the Optima than any car I've ever owned. 2500 miles in five months! I average almost 2000 a month on my 'Bu. Did the first oil change today. Got in a big fight at Wally-World trying to get them to substitute a Super Tech oil filter for the crappy Fram. Finally did. I went with Super Tech 5w30, tried to get ST 5w20 because I suspect that it might have some group III base stocks. They were out, however. I notice that Warren Performance Products has 5w20 semi-synthetic on their web site but not petroleum. Suspect that Wal-Mart might be buying the semi-syn and selling it at dino. prices. They already have semi-synthetic Phillips at the roughly the same price and if I was still changing my own oil I'd be buying that as I think the basestocks and additives are more durable than the Warren PP.

Anyway I had good luck with ST oil on my Elantra. I normally buy Pennzoil for the Maxx because I'm pushing it to 7000 miles, but for 3000-4000 mile OCI's the ST should be fine. Any SM oil should be fine.

I'm amazed that Kia allows just about any weight of oil in the summer. With my Elantra I started out with ST 10w30 for 9 months a year, but wound up with 5-30 for 9 months. I've stayed with 5w30 religiously with the Maxx. I wanted to try 5w20 with the Kia based on the good UOA's for all 5w20's on Bobistheoilguy, although I haven't seen any ST (Warren) yet.

BTW-- The Champion (ST) filter for the Optima is not an Ecore design, it has metal in the core of the filter. Really like AC and ST Ecore filters in the Maxx. With that kind of design oil flow should be excellent.
  • Options
    Maybe I should have said amatuer...OK?
    I agree about that 2.7 engine.No point in having slightly more horsepower,losing MPGs and having to change a timing belt at 60K miles.The Sonata 3.3 has some real power and the same economy as the 2.7...so why would anyone buy a 2.7 Optima?The price is close enough,especially with incentives.The 2.4 is the only way to go,IMO.
  • Options
    I had a v-6 EX for a week while leather was being put on my LX. I agree with you. I think it's a little strange that IFCAR didn't differentiate between the Hyundai and Kia sixes more strongly. He did on his previous review.
  • Options
    Methinks you all are trying too hard to justify your choice of the Kia four engine and in doing so. fail to acknowledge some balancing perspectives ! May I offer the following for your consideration:

- the KIA 2.7 mu engine IS. IN FACT. a modern. newly built engine. with all the very newest technology that the 2.4 possesses including CVVT. Please do not mistakenly characterize it otherwise when comparing it to the Sonata or other V6`s. It is what it is- namely, a smaller displacement V6 which has its own pluses and minuses.
    - although making less torque and horsepower than the larger displacement competitor engines, the 2.7 mu is extemely smooth, quiet and dare I say refined, with a willingness to rev quickly and freely.
    - whether one wishes to select ANY V6 over an I4 is a personal subjective choice- involving tradeoffs on smoothness/ refinement/power/ fuel economy/ other factors. In my situation, the 2.7 mu is nearly the perfect compromise for the following reasons:
    - it is noticeably smoother and quieter than the I4, at idle and particularly under certain load conditions
    - it has more than sufficient power under all conceivable real world driving conditions, but also has more reserve power than the I4 when needed on those infrequent occasions when others might put you at risk
    - it has more torque than the I4 and therefore does not need to seek a lower gear as quickly when in cruise control in hilly terrain
    - it has remarkably good fuel ecomomy on the highway cruising at 65 mph, with acceptable fuel economy in suburban or even city driving. I suspect that the 2.7 engine would be grouped more with the I4 engines , rather than competitor V6 engines, when it comes to fuel consumption stats, PROVIDED all cars were driven in a non aggressive manner. My observation is that the 2.7 mu (and the Optima drivetrain of course) is particularly sensitive to the type of driving- perhaps more so than other competitors. I do not know if this might be true for the Optima I4 as well.

All of the above leads me to wish that KIA would make a commitment to stay with a smaller displacement V6, and focus on further technology and tuning to improve fuel efficiency even further, with only modest increases in torque and horsepower.All the above IMHO.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    do you own one of the new world order Kia Optima's? It is a nice car that I considered for a while. I appreciated your comments on the new Kia V6 2.7L engine. Good insight from an informed person is usually a good thing, eh?

csandste...nope, my wife and I traded the beloved '01 Sportage 4x4 in on a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS! With the CVT engine and the Sun and Sound package. The Sun and Sound gives is a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate 6CD changer with AM/FM/and a prepaid 6-month Sirius satellite radio subscription. I left the manual tranny fold with this one but am not struggling with converting back to driving automatics...I get the 6 forward magnesium paddle shifters when I feel like playing a bit. It's pretty cool, although, most of the time I just drive the thing in old-fashioned 'D'.

We have put about 2,100 miles on it in two months of ownership so now's the time to think about filters and oils. Out first three years of maintenance are prepaid with the contract, so, we'll go to a Mitsu dealership to get the first oil change. We also get the 'Auto Butler' done every 6 months(no extra cost, at least that I'm aware of :D ). The 'Auto Butler' coats your car with a protectant coating for the paint.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Yes I do own a 2007 Optima- a very attractive Ebony black color, powered by (what else :o)) a 2.7 V6 !! It is loaded with every conceivable option,and if you researched this car as you indicated, you`ll know that the Optima has a full load of convenience and safety features. I have had the car since early January, have approx. 4200 miles on the odometer, and can say that it has been absolutely flawless to date ! Absolutely tight, with no squeaks or rattles and very solid feeling in all respects. Although the car handles nicely, it clearly does not have the acceleration
    traits that some of the professed enthusiast drivers would be looking for (but more than adequate for my needs) .

Wish you well with your new Lancer !!
  • Options
    Sounds like my 2006.5.except that I have the 2.4 engine.It has plenty acceleration enough for me.I also dont get all the things critics say about "handling".How much handling do you need going down the interstate? IMO,unless you're going to race the thing, handling is overrated.Maybe they mean tracking,in which case the Sonata was better.