Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Economy Sedans (~$16k-$20k)

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    From Fitzgerald's website: $16,286 for a Mazda3 i Touring (manual)...$13,662 for an SE (manual) w/mats (doesn't come with floor mats ;) ). There's your $2500ish number. Can go up another grand depending on how you juice 'em with the various option combinations.

I've driven the Elantra SE. Rode like a new car. Imagine that. The 3 probably drives alot like my old Protege' with an engine (The Pro' only had a rat under the hood going around on a treadmill but admittedly the car could do corners if you could look beyond the rodent propulsion system.).

$3000 for...image? Again, not trying to be smart. Just curious as to what exactly causes the disparity in price between these two.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    From Fitzgerald's website: $16,286 for a Mazda3 i Touring (manual)...$13,662 for an SE (manual) w/mats (doesn't come with floor mats ). There's your $2500ish number. Can go up another grand depending on how you juice 'em with the various option combinations.

And one is a brand new just launched model and one is a 5 year old end of life model on closeout. Closeouts can be great deals, that's how I got my TV. Some of those options, according to Edmunds, are only offered on the Mazda.

I've driven the Elantra SE. Rode like a new car. Imagine that. The 3 probably drives alot like my old Protege' with an engine (The Pro' only had a rat under the hood going around on a treadmill but admittedly the car could do corners if you could look beyond the rodent propulsion system.).

$3000 for...image? Again, not trying to be smart. Just curious as to what exactly causes the disparity in price between these two.

Right...so you are comparing a brand new car, as you said, to your 15 year old car...yup sounds like a good plan. Like I said, drive both NEW cars, and pick which one is the best value for you.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, the Elantra is NOT a five-year-old model. The current generation was introduced in the fall of 2006, so it's not quite 3 years old. But I think there are two main reasons for a price disparity: labor cost differential between Japan and ROK; and a costlier engine in the Mazda (modern aluminum high-output 2.0L engine vs. relatively ancient iron-block, lower-power 2.0L engine in the Elantra). I don't think there is a huge difference in sticker prices. The Elantra, being an older model than the 2010 3i and also being a Hyundai (not a shot, but Hyundai tends to offer good incentives on their cars), does have a lower real-world price. It will be interesting to see as we get into 2010 and the Mazda3i is no longer quite as new, if pricing will get closer. Also I have a feeling (based on some facts but it's my opinion) that the 2010 Elantra will see a refresh, since it will be 3 years old and its cousin the Kia Forte has shot past the Elantra in sophistication--something I don't expect the Hyundai part of the Hyundai/Kia partnership will sit still for. For instance, I predict we'll see new all-aluminum engines in the Elantra with similar power (actually a little better I think) compared to the Mazda3, for 2010. The Forte has these now, also a 5AT Shiftronic and 6MT on some trims--not available on the Elantra now. We'll probably also see a tweak to the Elantra's exterior--maybe a nose job at least, and maybe an updated interior.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Is it the link in that post which is screwing up my margins so I cannot see full lines of text (or the reply button)?

Edit: Must have been. This post brought me to the "next page" and everything displays correctly.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The link in that post wraps for me in Firefox 3.0.11 so that everything displays fine. Are you saying that it tries to appear all on one line for you? What browser/version are you using?
  • Options
    joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Thanks backy for your input. I think you're onto something with the labor costs 'tween the two countries AND the newer more high tech engine coming out of Japan as opposed to the somewhat dated Beta II engine in the current generation Elantra. Btw, in my research I did see that Mazda has already had a recall on that "new high tech engine" having something to do with the spacing under the hood and possible problems. Thinking the Hyundai has probably got those type of kinks worked out by now. But the Elantra IS an '09 for depreciation's sake although I suppose that's where the deals lie for those of us who run 'em into the ground and don't trade every two and a half years. The thing just screams VALUE to me. Call me whacked but I guess I just don't see the need to pay the markup on the 3i right now. Point A to point B over the great American highway. Guess that's why I've never considered Honda or Toyota much as I can't stand the thought of paying for a name badge.

Again, thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you like how the Elantra drives, I can see why you wouldn't be willing to pay extra for the Mazda3i. But there are some folks who see a distinct difference in how the two cars drive, or they prefer the looks of the Mazda3i, or maybe they have bought into the Mazda "zoom zoom" stuff or like the idea of buying a car made in Japan vs. the ROK. Different strokes (and cars) for different folks.

Another thing to consider, since you are price-conscious buyer, is to get a slightly used car, maybe a certified one with extended factory warranty. I have taken the used route now for every car I've bought since 2004 (which was an Elantra GT I still have). That wouldn't work of course if you are going the "cash for clunkers" route.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We own a Mazda 3s and have recently driven both the Elantra SE and the Touring wagon and the M3 is a much smoother, quieter ride especially with the 2.3 engine. Both Elantra's were very thrashy & loud up the power band which disturbed me. Even drove a new '09 Sonata right afterwards and it was so much quieter it wasn't funny. Not quite sure how the 2.0 Mazda engine would sound as we never test drove it...we knew we wanted the bigger engine for the wife.

Was at the dealership yesterday for the 1st oil change for my kids Accent, as she's back from her Epcot internship. Also had some warranty work done. Sat in a '09 Elantra SE in the showroom and was surprised at how the seating material felt...very nice. But again, thought the Sonata was a much better car all around. But if push came to shove, wouldn't mind any of the Hyundai models for a daily driver. Haven't tried the new '10 M3 yet so I can't give an intelligent answer on the car but the wife likes it so we'll get to try it, probably in the '11 model run. But don't think that any of these choices will be bad...Hyundai has come a long way and is almost the equal of the Honda/Nissan/Toyota products. Am very interested in the new Kia Forte...think it's the real sleeper in this group of small economy cars actually...a great looking small car!

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the new Kia Forte is hot looking, I agree.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    While at the Honda dealer last week, went over to the Kia store but they had no Forte's in stock. The SX model is what I'd be interested in eventually so was disappointed there were none to sit in and get the feel of it. Now I hear that the new Civic will be a 2012 model instead of a 2011 one. But that works for me as I'd be looking around 2012 for my next new ride anyways...if not 2013 or 2014. By then, there should be a ton of econoboxes to choose from...crazy cool

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

This discussion has been closed.