Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Should Smaller Japanese Merge - Subaru, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    I dont think they need govt help. The combined Japanese company of small 4 can borrow money from independent financial institutions
  • Options
    I dont think they should aim low. All four should aim at at least 1-2% of market share in US so they compete with other big asian players like Toyota and to some extent Hyundai.
  • Options
    I dont think it will be billions in legal fees. That would be a world record.

It could be a few millions. Which is affordable.

Every troubled automaker does debt consolidation. So I dont see that as a problem.

I think they just have to put their mind to it and just do it. They have to be a little bold like us Americans and go with the idea with strong passion.
  • Options
    Cash is never a problem. The financial markets are awash with dollars. They can just borrow whatever is necessary and then get the ball rolling.

And hire a good manager who can manage the merged small-4 with vision and energy.
  • Options
    I think marriage is the best way. It will provide stability in the long term. The merged-4 should focus on a product led recovery. Product is always what have to focus on

The costs of closing plants, redesigning etc etc are just part of the process to fix the problem. So what you are stating as problems in the way of merger are actually exactly the things they will do after merger which will be good.
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    isn't Mitsubishi getting Japanese government help to stay afloat ????

Sorta. They've had a series of cushy loans from various Japanese banks, which in that economy constitutes thirdhand government assistance. Even so, that's not going to save Mitsubishi's export markets by itself, and they're not a big enough player at home to survive in the same shape without them for long.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If Subaru, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Izusu were to merge, there would have to be a radical realignment and axing of products, so that whatever products were produced, none would step on the toes of other products.

Here's what I would propose, using that scenario:

• Subaru to concentrate on mid-size and larger cars; anything over 2000cc.

• Subaru and Suzuki colaborate on cars under 2000cc.

• Mitsubishi to drop their all car lines, as they would compete with the Subarus and Suzukis.

• Izusu and Mitsubishi concentrate on trucks and SUVs (large and small), and diesel engine development.

Do I think it might be a good idea? Possibly.

Do I think it will happen? Very unlikely, at least not until the powers that be realize that it would be in everyone's interest to do so.

The BIG question is: what would each company being willing to give up to make it work?

• Would Mitsubishi and Suzuki be willing to drop their car lines? I doubt it.

• Would Subaru be willing to drop their sub-2 litre cars? I doubt it.

• Would Subaru being willing to share their boxer engine and AWD technology with other members of the group? I doubt it.

• Would Subaru be willing to drop boxer engines, if it would benefit the group? Never happen.

• Would all of these manufacturers be willing to concentrate on very narrow product segments for the betterment of the whole organization? Very unlikely.

I think there will be too much in-fighting and pushing of individual agendas for this to work. I can only see it happening as a last ditch effort among all those companies mentioned.

Finally, who would run this group? Somebody from FHI (or any of the othe groups)? Do you think that would sit well with the others? Someone mentioned a takeover earlier, and I think that would be the only way to pull this off (so that there's it's "clear" as to who is in charge), but who among this group has the resources to do that?

Bob
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    After rethinking it over, I concur, agree, etc..
    Mitsubishi does have a few nice cars, like EVO and Eclipse.
    Suzuki sales are still rising to record levels, for them.
    They are ahead of Mitsubishi, actually!
    Overseas, I think Suzuki sells more vehicles than Mazda and BMW, even(I once read).
    If current levels of sales keep going on at Suzuki(plus, they have an SX4 or something coming out in fall, small suv-car thing) they could finally break that 100,000 units sold barrier(in a year).
    That would be cool. Next year, I read on future models, there will be a Sporty Sedan(no name yet) and a sporty Reno coming out(in 07?).
    A Reno with say maybe even 142 HP(like Cobalt? GM and Suzuki are partners, GM has about 20% stake in Suzuki) and 34MPG would help.
    If they drop this 155HP I-4 that is currently in the Aerio(read it will go away, for this upcoming SX4?) into the Reno, and keep MSRP (loaded up) under 18K.... I would be Very interested, indeed!
    Subaru? I still think due to more companies using AWD(Dodge Caliber, Suzuki Aerio sedan/wagon, and the upcoming Jeep Compass,etc), they are losing gorund due to others copying the idea of awd cars.
    Still not 100% sure about them.
    Isuzu? I may see one at the autoshow in a few weeks, the newer trucks.
    I owned an Isuzu I-Mark, rebadged as a Chevy Spectrum , from Aug of 87-to june of 90. Nice car for about 14 months, then after that, brakes needed replaced at 14K miles(mainly highway), master cylinder at 13K, and it got worse from there.

Mitsu could sell cars here and make money, and it seems Suzuki has a new found popularity, since sales are higher than back in 1988,(or 05, even) when they were at a previous high point.

I agree, if they are going to try for sales, go for the moon! Act like they are trying to hit 1 million sales, and maybe they will gain more customers?
  • Options
    I started this discussion as a purely hypothetical one more than a month ago. But I cannot believe the recent developments:

It is simply amazing.

GM has recently sold almost its entire stake in Suzuki and just yesterday the news is that it is negotiating with Mitsubishi to sell its stake in Isuzu.

Now the merger of small-4 is a real possibility.
  • Options
    Who could have forseen in their wildest imagination that this merger would be possible and that GM would readily divest itself from these overseas colonial posessions in such as short span.

But the most important challenge is to figure out whether the small-4 really have the vision to put this merger into place and give toyota some strong competition.
  • Options
    link on Suzuki

http://www.businessweek.com/print/autos/content/mar2006/bw20060307_900404.htm

See the latest developments. David welch is decent writer.
  • Options
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is in desperate straits with the Delphi mess - they could need all their cash in just a few months, and word is they could burn $1 billion a month if the Delphi folks reject the contract offer and strike. So they are selling like crazy. I guess the deal to sell a major stake in GMAC got held up or something.

ANYWAY, I am sure that one way or another they will sell their Isuzu stake. Not so convinced it will be to Mitsu. But these four will not merge - too much baggage and not enough oomph.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    baggage can be unloaded slowely to increase efficiency and oomph can wait. We need not inject too much oomph lest there may be oomph overdose.

Rest assured, merger is the only way to surival, otherwise they are doomed. Smaller fish will be expunged by the bigger fish. They will just die and get expunged in this evolutionary surge.
  • Options
    The new SUVs such as escalade will not only save GM it will breath new life into the organization. I am sure after all this restructuring they will suceed.
  • Options
    "They will just die and get expunged in this evolutionary surge."

Not Subaru - Toyota just took a stake in them and solved their biggest global problem - all the red ink at their Indiana plant. I think they will be fine for some time to come.

All of the other three may fall back out of the U.S. in the next five years, but I doubt they will disappear back in Japan.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Mitsubishi adds value to whomever buys them someday. I'm really suprised nobody's baught em' yet. :surprise:

Rocky

P.S.
    GM should buy them and then bring back the
    Mitsubishi 3000 VR-4 and kick everyone's butt in sportscars with a twin turbo, 4 wheel steering, All-Wheel Drive Supercar ;)
  • Options
    tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Its called the evo and weighs about 2 tons less than that old behemoth and costs about 10 grand less than the 3000 did when it happily went away back in 1999ish.

Kyle ;)
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    I mentioned in another forum that virtually every Saturn I see blows blue smoke. Mitsubishi seems to come in a close second.
  • Options
    Hehe, didn't DCX just SELL their interest in Mitsu? Which I would say was a positive move. Talk about a car company going nowhere in America.

I guess they didn't add much value to the Daimler empire. :-P

• Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    See I like Mitsubishi. They just don't have all the right cars. The Gallant for example is just not quite good enough to compete with the camcord crowd and get's lost on peoples shopping lists. Mitsubishi does make a few nice vehicles like the Eclipse and the new EVO looks promising to the fast and furious crowd. They seem to blend with Subaru for some reason in my eyes. Maybe Subaru and Mitsubishi should merge ? :confuse:

Rocky
  • Options
    nah, they should just dump all the totally blah crap they sell, and become a niche carmaker in America selling nothing but Evos and Ralliart models. THEN you'd be talking. They don't have one single model that really stands out in the crowd, despite recent updates. The brand new Outlander is quickly forgotten. The Eclipse was a boulevardier right from the start, with its pork. The Endeavor? Who cares? The Galant and Lancer? Forget it. The Mitsu name has turned into an unknown in America, kept alive only by the Evo's presence in Fast and Furious movies and the GT video game. And the people influenced by those media don't have the money to buy much of ANY new car.

• Options
    phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    I'd like to remind any of you who are nay-saying Mitsubishi for offering inferior products that their reason for a sketchy debt situation was their poor financing strategies years ago. They tried to extend easy, often interest-free credit to young kids to get them to buy their sportier cars, though the buyers just drove them around for free and returned them, leaving Mitsu dealers with a used vehicle and nothing to show for it. I've owned Buick, Toyota and even Acura-made vehicles and while good in their own right, I've enjoyed my 2004 Lancer Sportback most of all, which, unfortunately, only saw the US market only briefly.

They do have quality, though it likely has been damaged somewhat by emptier coffers, though what credibility remains is damaged by the current status of their company, mostly caused by a short-sighted financial decision. In the end, most cars these days range from average to pretty darn good. The difference between Toyotas, Hondas and even Hyundais compared to a number of other vehicles made by an array of other manufacturers is, to an extent, negligible. However, Toyota for example, rides on its reputation and marketing strategies, though the vehicles it makes are mostly bland and overprices with a more noticeable decrease in quality than in times past. However, by a majority of US market buyers, they are seen as infalliable and a guarantee for worry-free ownership. It's all in the image and that's something Mitsubishi should remember.

At least their high-end performance models still give them the credibility they deserve; I see some glimmer of a good idea in what Nippon said before about focusing on their Ralliart legacy to remind people about what makes Mitsubishi as good as it was and is. So if they try to market themselves differently or gain a greater presences here in the states, they can salvage their import status to some extent and let their products take care of the rest. Mitsubishi is capable of this - they just have to make some smart, careful moves in the right direction.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Maybe tiny Suzuki Motor Corp. no longer has to be concerned that sales for its American Suzuki Motor Corp. unit have been evaporating towards near-nonexistence: information from Europe says the burgeoning Volkswagen Group has plans to take over Suzuki by the end of the year."

Suzuki Reportedly in VW's Hands by Year-End (AutoObserver)

This discussion has been closed.