Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo V50: MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited October 2014 in Volvo
With the price of gas being what it is, your real world mileage is becoming more important than the estimates on the sticker. This is the place to talk about your real world on the road results!

Comments

• Options
    carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I had been thinking that the V50 wouldbe a nice replacement for one of the SUVs I own that gets poor mileage. It would be used to haul my two kids (4 months and 4 years) around town 80% of the time. I'm wondering what kind of mileage V50 owners are getting. I am interested in the AWD T5 with the manual transmission.

I am concerned about the engine problems that some of the other posters have noted (and other reliability issues). We used to have an Outback Wagon and never had any problems with it, but the seats were too hard for long drives.

Any input would be great.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    if you are concerned about mileage, maybe you should reconsider whether you really need AWD. I've never had any issues getting around with my FWD cars in the snow with a decent set of all-season tires.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ken36ken36 Member Posts: 1
    Have 05 V50 T5 AWD with Auto, 5000 miles near loaded at $35,800 sticker. Can be had for less with fewer options. Also looked at 05 Outback. Live in a city so intentionally selected the slightly smaller car. Back seat works fine for our guests but leg room is tight if 6 foot plus (like many cars this size). MPG in city & suburburban driving is average at +/- 19-20. Better on highway. $30 full tank fill-ups at $3.00 a gallon. Takes regular. I think AWD costs 1-2 MPGs compared to non-AWD model? Volvo pitches AWD for safety over snow benefit. I like it to get through deep snow a few times a year and everyday sure footing. Outback was a better value although my wife and I felt it to be "lighter" and not as comfortable. V50 leather seats are the most comfortable we have had. Our car had a rough engine starting problem after 3,000 miles. Fixed after 2 visits and 3 weeks (Volvo rep. helped dealer as promised). Interior controls very intuitive compared to other European brands. Selected the Volvo for crash testing for its size (www.hwysafety.org). We accept cost of ownership over years will probably be higher compared to Outback after talking to our Volvo & Suburu friends. Cons: Faint wind noise on front pillar minor, front door pockets almost too small to use, narrow deep glovebox & cost. Pros: Drive it (power & comfort). Had a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T that had me to the dealer over 30 times in 3 years. Volvo V50 has more power, more comfort, not quite the fit & finish level of Audi but fills the same needs for thousands less. Wife & I liked both Outback & V50 but comfort & size decided for us. Good luck with decision.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I'm curious as to what MPG the V50 gets, given that it requires premium gas.
  • Options
    bonnie9878bonnie9878 Member Posts: 2
    i drive a v50 awd t5 model (05) and have been getting about 24 mpg combined hwy and city driving lately. i do use the higher octane gas (91) but have been told that it is unnecessary at higher altitudes. does anyone know if this is really the case?
  • Options
    qoisherqoisher Member Posts: 1
    I drive 10 miles to work and back daily, plus errands on weekends. I have averaged 25 MPG over the past six months without any long trips. (Long trips avg 28-29 mpg)

I have the 2005 V50 T5.
  • Options
    tucomastucomas Member Posts: 1
    Just figured my numbers...here are my 3 month results:

miles driven: 3,422
    avg miles/day: 38
    conditions: dry
    type: hi-way/street mix
    driving style: sporty
    fuel purchased: 164.635 U.S. gal (87 octane)
    fuel cost: $651.65
    fuel cost/mi: $0.19
    mpg: 20.78
    gal/mi: .048 U.S. gal
    teaspoons/mi: 36 std teaspoons
This discussion has been closed.