Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Nissan 300ZX Gas Mileage

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
Share your actual MPG with other 300ZX owners here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• Options
    izrhazelizrhazel Member Posts: 2
    Running premium only Chevron, I have gotten 26mpg, freeway, about 80..
  • Options
    theoffendertheoffender Member Posts: 2
    What kind of gas does everybody here fill up with?
  • Options
    joefriday1joefriday1 Member Posts: 1
    Regular unleaded. I get 21- 22 mpg in the city. I don't do much long distance highway driving in my Z. It is a 1985 300.
  • Options
    darkmanndarkmann Member Posts: 16
    Interesting because this year I started tracking MPG on my 89 Z31 turbo. Reason is because my digital display power control unit died (killing my analog ODO) and by the time I replaced it, nearly 10K has elapsed, so to track mileage, I had to record the digital ODO readings at very fill-up. I commute 90miles/day, highway and I average 25mpg using mid-grade and averaging 70mph!!! I think that's pretty good for a very very old car.
  • Options
    300zx12345300zx12345 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 300zx 5 speed trans and with the A/C off i was getting 26 - 29 on highway 15 - 21 city. I run 93 octane
  • Options
    sudzo77sudzo77 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my first Nissan 300zx - it's an 85 non-turbo 5 speed with 157K miles.

With the really bad front end components and less than great tires I averaged 29 mpg using 87 octane last week driving to and from work, which for me is all highway travel at 53 miles each way.

It still needs a tune up but it has a K&N Cold Air Intake and filter on it and a new exhaust system so maybe this could be pushing the MPG up.
  • Options
    tommyrays300ztommyrays300z Member Posts: 1
    Recently, on the way from LA to Palm Springs, with cruise control set at 60 miles per hour, I got about 27 miles per gallon. Lately, being careful to gradually accelerate, I am getting about 16-17 miles per gallon in city traffic. At 170,000 miles just got smogged and mechanic said it was the cleanest running Z he'd ever tested.

I get compliments on how great looking this car is all the time.
  • Options
    marciano1marciano1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 nissan 300zx, 2-seater and when I get low on fuel or put fuel in it, it revs up to 3,000 - 4,000 rpms, kicks into 2nd gear, revs up to 3,000 - 4,000 rpms again, but then starts to slow down like its gonna stall out. I have replaced the fuel filter already. If I let it sit for a couple of days after filling it with fuel, theres no problem until it gets low again. Do you have any suggestions for me?
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    What year is your 300Z?

My '88 ZX has has 177,000, and it gets compliments too.
  • Options
    redhotzzzredhotzzz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1985 300zx that occasionally does this same thing (it really began with the recent fuel shortages), BUT I met another Z-a-holic @ Nisstech while waiting and he is a geophysical engineer. He says these cars are NOT meant to run on ETHANOL gas, and to only put HiTest gas in them, preferably SHELL. I've been doing that and not another problem. Just what I have learned. ;)
  • Options
    Daves86ZDaves86Z Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 1986 300ZX 2+2 that only gets around 10mpg. Non-turbo. Does anyone know how I can improve that number? Thabks.
    Dave.
  • Options
    Daves86ZDaves86Z Member Posts: 2
    Thats a great tip. I didn't know that. Will that help with mpg?
    Thanks.
    Dave.
    P.S. I'm new here but I've had my baby for four years now. 1986 2+2 300ZX N/A.
  • Options
    pauld5pauld5 Member Posts: 19
    The air conditioner has a RPM increaser that will pump up the RMP when AC is running. not that this is what it is! You can check the ECU diagnostic with slef check method. Maybe that is waht is doing it?
  • Options
    pauld5pauld5 Member Posts: 19
    Can you smell fuel?
  • Options
    mooksmommooksmom Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1985 300Z 2+0, and use 87 regular but keep Shell gas in it that I have been told by my mechanix is better for it. I get 29 mpg average...very happy with that!
  • Options
    cpnguyen83cpnguyen83 Member Posts: 1

I have a 1991 Nissan 300zx 2+2 N/A automatic. I am getting 31 MPG on highways! I can't believe it. I tested out a total of 4 times. My gas tank was full with gasoline and with a lot of junk in the back hatch. I don't if the 36 degrees weather does the trick of yield good gas mileage. Here are the things I done to my Nissan 300zx. Rebuilt transmission. New fuel injectors. New Fuel filter. New Radial tires. New Spark Plugs. Re-gasket all the engine compartment such as exhaust value covers, intake valve covers, oil pan, plenum manifold, clean exhaust breather pipes, balance tubes, and did a radiator flush. My auxiliary keeps on turning on so I took out the fuse. Beside my a/c compressor does not work. The way I drive to get this MPG was, on acceleration, I try not to pass 2200 rpm. On highways, I cruise at 60-65 mph and avoid break as much as possible. Using hills to may advantage. I roll to stop at the stop light. I do turn off my engine at the stop light when I know my car going to idle for a while.

• Options
    coolest300zxcoolest300zx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 300zx. I get 30 mpg. The car has 83,000 miles on it and I use 87octane fuel. It is a manual gearbox. I drive somewhat conservatively, but do the occasional canyon run. I also have lighter than stock rims on the car. There is a an aftermarket exhaust and a cold air intake installed as well. I try to conserve gas by coasting toward stop signs and traffic lights. That really helps. Also 4th gear seems to be the sweet spot in my car for best mpg when on the highway.