Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix Brake Questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    Maybe bent hub or debris on mating surface between rotor and hub.
  • Options
    mantechmantech Member Posts: 28
    I already reached the 50,000km, Brakes and gas accelator has been done, Now I'm having experience (occasionally) squealing noise coming from rear wheels.
    If I drive the cars on the \wet days, in the next morning noise can be heard after releasing the parking brake. Not sure if it's coming from the rear brakes.
    The noise could last for a few seconds while driving, Is ehre anyone who experienced this kind of symptom? It,s a 1.8L, Touring package. I have to make an appointment soon before the warranty expires (60,000K) Don't know if there's
    some chargeable things so I have to watchout carefully. If it's the brakes issue.
  • Options
    jimkatzjimkatz Member Posts: 2
    TOYOTA - Once You Drive One, You'll Never Stop
  • Options
    383383 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 matrix all wheel drive. bought the car with 24,000 miles on it. and it now has 134,000 miles. have replaced the front brakes 4 times so far. after rotor and brake replacement the pulsating and wheel shake is hardly noticeable. after about 8,000 miles the pulsating and wheel shake comes back and gets so bad I have to replace the brake pads and rotors way before they should be replaced.. I have tried several different types of rotors and brake pads with the same results. I suspect the wheel hubs are flawed. need to put a dial indicator on the hubs and see if they are out of round. I just have not taken the time to really check out the problem. so far toyota has not responded to inquiry this seems to be wide spread on the matrix.
  • Options
    kathychungkathychung Member Posts: 4
    I posted exactly the same problem before. I finally found another personal with the same experience. Mine is 2003 Matrix xR, too. I still have not figured out the cause. It shakes like crazy when I brake at above 55MPH. I am about to change the front brakes and rotors. Not sure if this will work. Any advice from anyone?
  • Options
    biglabdogsbiglabdogs Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem but on a 2003 Vibe. 139k miles on it. This will be the fifth set up brake pads for the front as I today am having new brake pads put on again and turning rotors (which are new in last year) again. I did have a bad brake caliper which was causing wear on the front driver side brake pad. Did you find anything with the wheel hubs. Other than the door lock actuators this is the only problem Ive really had.
  • Options
    biglabdogsbiglabdogs Member Posts: 4
    Replacing front brakes and/or turning or replacing rotors does fix it....but it seems to come back within 15,000 miles for me. It didn't start happening on mine until about 80k. Mine is about 55mph and I believe that is a sign of warped rotors. What I can't figure out is why they are warping so quickly and I do seem to go through front brakes much faster on this car than my other vehicles in the past.
  • Options
    fritz49fritz49 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Matrix AWD has a similar brake problem, but mine will act like warped rotors only part of the time! The first few times they acted like this was in the rain and after I had been driving for miles without touching the brakes! Weird! Now they act up after continued braking, I live in the Ozarks we have hills! So, I've never had warped rotor symptoms on any vehicle that go away. Once the rotor are warped, they are warped! What the heck is going on? I'm ready to buy after market front brakes, rotors calipers and all. Anyone know a good brand? You can spend as much as you want, I don't want to buy another car, just fix the brakes.
  • Options
    ravorravor Member Posts: 2
    Just replaced Back brakes @ 40,000 km and now need to do the front @46,000 km. never in my life have I replaced back brakes before the front 2009 matrix bought new
  • Options
    ravorravor Member Posts: 2
    Before they did the back brakes the only way to remove the back wheels (to put snow tires on) was with a rubber hammer as the wheels would not come off. After the brake job they come off like a normal wheel does - think the wheels interacted with the brakes cover and may be causing problems with them
  • Options
    dewill72511dewill72511 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Matrix and have the same intermittant. Did you ever find out what was causing this?
  • Options
    coronadopecoronadope Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I just bought a used Matrix today. 2006 38K miles. Brakes seem fine but I have been reading about the warped rotor syndrome mentioned in MANY of the posts here. I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that did the same thing. It was common for that vehicle. It is a problem with the aluminum materials used to manufacture the rotors. The aluminum rotors heat up with normal driving, braking, or both and the problem occurs when you drive through cold puddles, ice and snow, or both with the hot rotors. Instant warp. I replaced the rotors in my Jeep MANY times before my mechanic decided to try cast iron rotors made in China. Problem solved. Haven't had the problem in over 6 years now. If my Matrix acquires the problem, I will immediately go with the cheaper cast iron rotors. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    zs735zs735 Member Posts: 3

between 2008 corolla vs 2008 matrix (base); i find matrix brakes are not sharp at all compared to corolla which is just perfect and sharp.
    any suggestions what can be done to improve braking?

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I haven't had brake problems with my '04 Vibe and I assume they are the same as the Matrix. Just replaced rotors this year -- at 10 years old and 105,000 miles that seems reasonable. I may have had them replaced earlier, but again, in line with what one expects from today's brakes.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere