Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Design Love It or Not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    I'm pretty sure the SS tranny is different and a heavier duty model. I would try dropping the pan and inspecting it for debris and then refill with some high quality lubricant like Redline. Buy a Wix filter it's the same as factory. Use the factory gasket over again. The metal/rubber ones are reuseable and good luck!
  • Options
    nunpunchnunpunch Member Posts: 2
    I am going to buy at 2005 Malibu maxx (with like 25 miles).
    Quick question about the Hatch: What are the opening dimensions?
    I can't find any info online with the length, hight or diagonal measurements - only cubic feet. I need to know this info before pursuing the car futher because I will be using it for work.

Does anyone have these measurements?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    You mean this was sitting unsold on a dealer's lot for five model years?

It's roughly 41 inches vertical (hard to accurately measure with a hatch-- this is from top of hatch to bottom with hatch open not an up and down vertical measurement) and 44 inches horizontal.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    a bit of info:
    Maxx turning circle is big: 40 to 43" depending on model (bigger tires or SS = bigger turning circle). The specs Chevy gave on this are dead wrong.
    If you are going to drive Maxx in winter, get winter tires, or it will get stuck.

I do not know the dimensions for the hatch. It does taper inwards towards the top and the glass is slanted a fair bit. Opening is smaller than available heigth inside.

Hatch is made out of Aluminum; you may hear horrendous squeaks when closing it because the metal fasteners holding the trim on hatch don't grip aluminum well (you can add tape to the fasteners to stop the squeaks).

More info from aboutcars.com:

Door Count 4 doors
    Maximum Cargo Volume 41.0 cu.ft.
    Exterior Length 187.8 "
    Exterior Width 69.8 "
    Exterior Height 58.1 "
    Wheelbase 112 "
    Front Tread 60 "
    Rear Tread 60 "
    Turning Radius 18.8 '
    Curb Weight 3,458 lbs.
    Max Trailer Weight 1,000 lbs.
    Front Legroom 41.9 "
    Rear Legroom 41.0 "
    Front Headroom 39.4 "
    Rear Headroom 39.4 "
    Front Hiproom 53.5 "
    Rear Hiproom 52.4 "
    Front Shoulder Room 56.7 "
    Rear Shoulder Room 55.5 "
    Passenger Volume 106 cu.ft.
    Interior Cargo Volume 22.8 cu.ft.
    Interior Cargo Volume w/Seats Folded 41.0 cu.ft.
  • Options
    murphycmurphyc Member Posts: 8
    '05 Maxx LS.
    Love: great mileage on trips, great room and comfort, rear seat that slides and reclines (everyone who's sat back there has been impressed), cargo flexibility, good value, various innovative design pieces like the rear skylights, parcel shelf in rear, tilt/telescoping wheel in this price range and flat folding front passenger seat.
    Don't love: cheap plastic throughout (especially in hatch area), rear vision, front end styling ('06-07 was better without the chrome), what seem to be common problems like starter and steering/suspension clunks, brakes not the most confidence inspiring, rear wiper switch placement.

Overall I think the Maxx was a good first effort, just needed some tweaks here and there. GM's cheapness really on display in places. Some of the plastic is so cheap it's embarassing. I think my '93 and '94 Saturns had higher quality plastic. To me the reliability has been a bit disappointing, especially in terms of the suspension and steering systems. Biggest problem with the car seemed to be Chevy had no clue how to market it. Plenty of clever ideas, but I only remember seeing one ad (had to search youtube just to find that). Combine that with 35 mpg on trips with 200 hp, nice comfort and space, plenty of features and more, this should have been successful.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    assume you realize you were replying to a 2 and half year old message....but i do agree with you that Chevy did a poor job marketing this model over the sedan.....There was a burst of advertising when if first came out under the american revolution theme....but nothing after the initial introduction.....an 04 LT here....great car....great reliability in my case.....over 5 years old, 140K on the car and just replaced my first component....right front tire rod.....didnt have any of the steering or suspension issues....

I know that was the major complaint, but wonder what percentage of the total Malibu production 04-07 had the problem? theonly downside I had was the front end design as you stated...too much chrome....the 06-07 models tonned it down quite a bit.....anyway...hope to see 200k out of my Maxx
  • Options
    medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Good
    The obvious: engine, transmission, ride.
    The steering wheel is much thicker than in previous vehicles, so my fingers are comfortable holding it.
    Remote start as standard equipment.

Bad
    Limited utility of hatch design: a car this long should be able to swallow a bigger box.
    Rear corner visibility, due to pillar size and position around hatch.
    Skylight as standard equipment -- shades are so fragile.
    "Check Gas Cap" -- again???

The good has outweighed the bad for four years. I hope to keep it for many more.
  • Options
    missymaemissymae Member Posts: 1
    I love my Maxx --she's sporty!!!
    I am starting to hate my Maxx because yet again -I have that clunking noise from the front end. Last time I had something like that it cost me 250.00 for the deductable in my extended warranty and now a year later its back!! Anyone have any advice????
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    unfortunately one of the bads of the Maxx is the front suspension issues....as well as the 'electronic' steering........is the clunk tolerable?....I have had the clunk for some time now......and never bothered to have it checked after the issues here on the forum......my maxx is 6 years old in Feb and currently has almost 155K on it.....I have seen no ill effects from the clunk......only replaced the front right tire rod this summer..due to wear....and it lessen the clunk somewhat but didnt eliminate it...
  • Options
    tires4utires4u Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    I purchased my 2006 Chevy Malibu MAXX SS 1 year ago. The ride,fit,finish,power,comfort and excitement are among the BEST of any of the over 100+ cars I have owned.Including 64,64,67 and 68 Impala's SS's. The car hauls A_ _ and all of my 5 grandchildren and all their stuff.
    We travel alot and we have out over 50,000 miles on the car SO FAR. It handles the local dragstrip as well as the freeway FANTASTIC. The rear seat DVD entertains the grandkids and the LOUD PEDAL entertains me and grama.
    The car is fairly rare in the hatchback form. Over 200,000 Malibu Maxx's were made
    in the years 2004-2007..but less than 1,200 in the SS model. Mostly all in Black or Blue. Amazing choice of colors for a BAD A_ _ car.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
This discussion has been closed.