Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I would think they look for the hood scoop first: scoop = ticket, no scoop =harmless.

John
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just lie and say it's fake. :P

-juice
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Thanks for the post. My wife says that the fuel system/injector cleaner helps a bit too. But, like you, I figure that high-octane gas costs what the additives do. It's irritating and, yep -- the fault is probably in the ECU code somewhere, but I doubt Subaru will address it with an '04.
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Yes -- it's that light throttle and the the pinging is what bugs me. If I drive our '04 2.5X like a Formula I racer, it never pings; only when I drive it conservatively (which is my normal driving style), does it ping! I guess that validates the notion that the ECU cuts the fuel a bit too much at some points as it tries to maximize economy.

I'm easily impressed, but our little 2.5L (non-turbo) usually sounds so sweet otherwise. I often leave the stereo off because the engine sound combined with the 5-Speed shifter is so much darn fun to listen to and feel when I open it up.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Join the Crew for live chat in ~ one hour. The link is on the left.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dinosaurdinosaur Member Posts: 19
    Actually I doubt there is anything that CAN be done. Unless there was an electrical failure somewhere the programming is very likely correct. The worriesome thing is that if its this way from the factory, the problem will get worse as the car ages and things get dirty in the fuel system.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Without wishing to disagree with Dinosaur, I initially had problems with the mixture in my Subaru Outback. Subaru's use an adaptive learning system in their Engine Management Unit, which modifies the fuel air mixture based on recent driving expeience. That means that if you have been driving very gently, the EMU progressively leans out the throttle response. In extremes, this reaches the point where you can detect the increments of each fuel addition, the response being digital rather than analogue.

For me, the real bugbear was the behaviout after the vehicle had beeen on nil throttle during a long fast downhill run off a mountain range. when I reached the bootm of this run and returned to very getle throttle application, the vehicle would judder badly as fuel was alternately supplied and then backed off to match suppoed control input. It was rather like kangaroo hopping when you first learn to drive a manual car, but happening at 110kmh.

Subaru attended promptly and reloade the EMU software with a modified programme. Whilst this was a partial improveent, the real fix came from using a different fuel, a 98 Octane Premium with detergent sold in Australia (Shell Optimax). This rectified the problem, increasd economy by 10% and improved performance markedly. I would expect there are similar products in the USA

You might want to try a top engine cleaner. Subaru in Australia, recommend using this about every 6 months.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I've only gotten two speeding tickets in my lifetime: one in my first car ('66 Ford Mustang) and one in my '00 Forester S. I've not gotten one in the Forester XT...yet.

Ed
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am seriously considering getting this credit card -- sounds like it has a better return than the Travel Bucks. :D Suppose I had $200 in Sub Bucks How does one actually use them to pay a bill?
  • Options
    You have to spend it in $100 increments (no change back).

You record your VIN number on it, and it spends just the same as cash.

You get 4 years to use the certificate, you can earn up to $500 per year. Maximum that can be accumulated is $2000 because of the 4 year limitation.

John
  • Options
    gusbgusb Member Posts: 1
    G'Day

Good to see not too much has changed around here in the last few years. Not much has changed in my neck of the woods either, apart from the fact that i have retired. Still driving the 2000 forester, now with 140k on the clock and going strong.

cheers

gus
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hey Gus! Wecome back! Hope you're enjoying retirement—and your Forester! :)

Bob
  • Options
    These rock.

I used $100 to buy accessories on-line. They took it, I just had to order slightly more than $100 worth, ended up paying $6 on my credit card for $106 worth of stuff.

Then I used $300 for some body shop repair. My insurance reimbursed me so that ended up being pure cash profit. KA-CHING!

We have $100 more accumulated now. Since the wife is comtemplating a new Legacy automatic (or a newer used one) we might spend it on that. If not we'll save it for service or whatever.

They're easy to use, in fact my problem is I can't seem to save them up!

-juice
  • Options
    pamela3pamela3 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the response. As a matter of fact I have the car in again today for the brakes (got worse after they cleaned/adjusted a couple weeks ago) and of course the pinging noise. Did a trip to PA this weekend and even at 65-70 mph I could hear it...annoying to say the least. I just may have to bite the bullet and put premium gas in the car...hate to do it but don't want to cause any engine damage...will the pinging do that? But aside from that I love the car...although I sometimes wish I had gotten the Baja...maybe next time!
  • Options
    Make sure you call 800-SUBARU3 to simply register the complaint, even it's a "customer says" complaint. That way you are covered if something occurs down the road.

-juice
  • Options
    03forester03forester Member Posts: 2
    Had pinging on a '92 Loyale. 2 biggest dealers in Balt area couldn't fix it. One wanted to charge over 300 bucks to check with a borescope. BTW car was still under warranty & they told me, "That's just how they run, nothing is wrong.
    Went to indy shop for other issue & they fixed it for free. How I asked? QUOTE: "We set the timing to factory specs" No BS. I trust no living dealer. They never ever even looked at the timing, just blew me off for the 1st 70,000 miles. Ran great on 87 octane after that & had much more power. You draw conclusions.
  • Options
    manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Hi, I have an '05 Forester xs llbean. I am getting an XM radio, and want to install it in the car. I know that there is no obvious aux input. So, what I plan to do is use an in-line (wired) FM modulator: the kind that goes between the antenna and the radio. My questions are: How hard is it to pull the radio head (I do not want to void the warenty), The radio in the car is in the process of being replaced (by subaru) due to a warenty malfunction...would it be ok to ask (and pay) the tech to do it while the radio head is out?

And is there any sites that document how pull the head unit? Circuit City wants about $75 to install.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip...I'll call that number today. As usual the dealership did not hear anything regarding the brakes or the engine pinging so at this point I figure I have it recorded with them and if anything happens they will have to cover it under warranty. Getting close to just getting rid of the car and looking into Toyotas...but just thinking right now!
  • Options
    Not sure how they even could do that - the timing is not manually adjustable. Unless they re-programmed the ECU.

You sure about that?

My Miata does have manually adjustable timing, but nowadays most of the time that stuff is computerized.

-juice
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Loyal was the 'older' Subaru available since 1985. When they introduced the Legacy in 1990, they called the older model the Loyal. It had an 1800cc engine with dual cam belts and a distributor. Timing it was easy. Had a 1985 GL wagon 5 sp 4WD. (4WD lever was next to shifter)
  • Options
    They added an "e" at the end.

Impreza eventually replaced it, though some feel the Forester is more of a spiritual successor to the old Loyale wagons.

-juice
  • Options
    I was going to wait a couple more months to replace the Yukko Yokos, but then found that "Brand X" online tire store had a $50 rebate on BFG Traction T/As. Thru 9-3. I went to their local outlet & they actually beat the online price with mount/balance & new valve stems + the rebate (gave me a minor tradein credit for the Yokos with 25K on them. If you are considering new tires for your Subie, this is a good time to save a 17%
  • Options
    rumirumi Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an '05 Forester LLBean. The dealership offered a "maintenance" agreement - for 3750 mi/ 3.5 mon intervals for 3 years 45,000 miles the cost is $1195. They claimed that this would be a cost saving over the 3 years... but that's not clear to me. Considering I average less than 10K per year, I may not even get to the 30K service during 3 years. What other maintenance besides oil/filter/tire rotations would there be? Am I missing something here?

I know that Subaru recommends service at 7500 mile intervals, but most of my mileage is stop and go, lots of dust in the area, and very hot temps for up to half the year, so I always go with the "rough" usage guidelines.

Also, I received a solicitation from subaru directly for the extended service agreement. (not the maintenance -but the extended warranty". Looks like it is at a big discount from the MSRP at the dealership - and my understanding is that it covers wear and tear.

What advise can folks give me? I usually don't go for extended warranty coverage, but this seems like a good deal for 6 years of coverage.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about the idea because you are paying to guarantee that a specific dealer get all your business. What if you don't like the service? You're stuck, since you've already paid.

But do the math, especially if you already like them.

An oil change every 3750 miles, tire rotations too, the 15k service, maybe the 30k service. If you are saving a significant amount over the regular price, say 20% or so, it may be worth it.

Also keep in mind the time value of money, i.e. you will end up paying interest on that pre-paid maintenance, and then you could really come out behind.

Interesting concept, but I'd see if another dealer will do the service if you happen to move or simply are not happy with that dealership.

-juice
  • Options
    rumirumi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.

To clarify: the maintenance plan is also a Subaru sponsored plan, not specific to dealership. One receives a coupon book of "recommended service" coupons, which can be redeemed at any Subaru dealer. The idea is that your costs are discounted and based on today's cost, rather than subject to inflationary costs - perhaps that would offset the TVM. I just don't have a sense of how much a 15K and 30K service would run and thought someone here might know. Looks like I'll have to call and ask specific questions of dealerships.
  • Options
    In that case it's a lot better.

I'd price it out. See what it will cost you with interest included.

Then compare to the regular rates. Keep in mind you'd redeem a coupon or two along the way, I doubt you'd pay full price for service every time.

Then see what kind of discount you get. 10% is not worth it, the interest alone will eat up any advantage so why pre-pay?

20% might be, though.

Service costs vary widely. Some people are quoted $600 for the 30k mile service, for others it's less than half that amount.

So it might be worthwhile for someone that lives in an "expensive" region where service costs tend to be higher.

-juice
  • Options
    Don't do it - that's WAY too expensive. The 15k maintenance shouldn't cost over $100, even at a dealer. My 30k was $280 at the dealer. If in 3 years, you even make it to 30k. I follow the severe service, 3750 intervals. My costs are as follows.

3000 miles: $22
    7500 miles: $35
    11250miles: $22
    15000 miles: $73
    18750 miles: $22
    22500 miles: $35
    26250 miles: $22
    30000 miles: $280

There really isn't much beyond oil changes and tire rotation until you hit 30 k miles. Of course I put a lot more miles on than you do, so my maintenance goes by miles rather than time. Still, I can't see where you would spend anywhere near $1000 on scheduled maintenance in 3 years.
  • Options
    Some LL Bean models came with 2 years' free service, of course that's not too costly so it wasn't a big deal. I wish they'd do it for the Tribeca and maybe any other model over $30k or so.

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please do it by email since we prefer not have individual salespeople's names touted on the discussion. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    thanks Steve.
  • Options
    matchlesspetematchlesspete Member Posts: 1
    Our '01 Forester S check engine light went on. Intermittently at first, then constant. Dealer said that it was the knock sensor that had failed. Replacement was $200. Dealer is 40 miles away. Day out of work.

Now the car has a burning smell. Looks like something wet on the exhaust. Another trip to the dealer, another workday lost.

At 50,000 miles, the rear brakes had worn out. No brake warning light to let us know. Rotors and pads had to be replaced. $400 and a day out of work.

After 5 flawless Toyotas, the Forester looks pretty shabby.
  • Options
    tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    the toyota's brakes lasted a million miles and wore like iron. Without knowing youre driving habits (all urban, all hiway, a mix) there is no way to tell if 50k is good or not. Id say pretty good. Also the brake warning light is for the lights themselves not the brakes. Most brakes that ive replaced squeal like a pig when they're ready to meet their maker.

FYI, parts fail. Even on toyotas. Either that or I'm mistaken about what I thought was a service dept at my local Yoda dealer.

Regards,
    Kyle
  • Options
    manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Actually brakewarning lights are for the brakefluid pressure. Not the brake wear. They but in the wear indications that squeel to inidcate brake wear.
  • Options
    tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    I apologize for that inaccurate statement. My knowledge stems from a Chevy S10 that would blaze the brake warning light whenever there was a tail/brake light out and from a 1984 Subaru GL that did same.

Regards,
    Kyle
  • Options
    ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    I'm looking at replacing 2-4 of the OE Geolanders.
    After searching through the forester forum, I've narrowed my choice to the Falken, Avids, Turanza's, or back to OE geolanders.
    I was wondering if anyone had any more updates on their experiences on any of these tires. I would like to improve the road noise the most, as well as the handling. But would not want to give up much if any snow traction for the upcoming ski season. Also, still weary on the Falkens because they're cheaper and unheard of before.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You might also want to try asking over in the Tires, tires, tires discussion.
  • Options
    You absolutely have to replace all four of your tires at the same time, or you'll severely damage your car and quickly.

Pretty much any tire you get will greatly exceed the Geolanders for snow traction. I'm not as negative on these tires as a lot of people are, but their snow traction, especially laterally, is just awful.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses on the "pinging" problem...Juice I did call the 800 number and lodged a complain for the pinging and the brakes. Speaking of the brakes...does anyone have problems with the rear brakes...squealing/howling...almost sounds like it will wake up the dead. Dealer says dust and/or little deposits of rust forming overnight but this happens even when the car sets for just a couple of hours. Really thinking I should have gotten a Toyota!
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    My '01L Has over 110,000. I bought it last year and have put over 8k in 5 different road trips. I've been a little luckier than you but I also wouldn't pay $400 for a brake job.

I've never had a day off work :cry: due to car problems since I've been a Subaru owner. I found a great shop that is walking distance from my house. For about $500 (see my previous post) he replaced all my belts, water pump and thermostat--and did it on my day off.

I also bring it in periodically for trip checks. For less than $50, he changes the oil and checks fluids, brakes, belts, tire inflation and wear, suspension, etc.

The shop I patronize subscribes to an on-line service that gives them bulletins and other info. They are currently updating their computer system in order to streamline diagnosis and parts orders, etc. I can see no advantage to dealer service for a car no longer under warranty.

Find a good mechanic close by and maybe he can get someone to drop you off at work.
  • Options
    caromiacaromia Member Posts: 2
    Join the club; I have a 2001 w/93k. Error 4 cat conv came on...however, I think it is related to the fact that my HdGskts blew...and 'leaked' into the CC.
    As for the vehicle, love the performance...love the comfort.
  • Options
    caromiacaromia Member Posts: 2
    p.s., the reason my HdGskts blew: the shop did not put the additive into the coolant!
    The Cat Conv could have been related to the leakage of water into your exhaust...
  • Options
    chayneschaynes Member Posts: 3
    After 3 years+ and 64,000 miles, my '03 XS sunroof suddenly failed by wedging left rear down. Dealer said the sunroof frame was bent and the repair would be about $1,000. Service manager said my problem was the first he'd ever seen, so I suspected a defect. Referred me to national Subaru Customer Service. Lady there reminded me that my warranty had expired and chided me for requesting $$ assistance "when there are other owners paying extended maintenance fees." However, she was sympathetic. In the end, the dealer agreed to pick up most of the cost, for which I am most appreciative. Fine so far, but are Suby sunroofs fragile? I had a BMW 5-series for 20 years and never had a sunroof problem with it , so I had taken them for granted. Anyone with Suby sunroof horror stories out there or am I the only owner with a bad 'roof?

Luv the Suby and the dealer, but I've cycled the roof for the last time.
  • Options
    I replaced my 03 Forester's OEM tires with BFG Traction TA Ts yesterday. I had hoped to have better wet traction along with a smoother quieter ride. I looked at all the data I could find on 3 different tire sites & the BFGs seemed like a slam dunk to beat out the Yokos in all categories. After driving about 50 miles my observations of the TA Ts are:
    1. Less rolling resistance :)
    2. Noisier :cry:
    3. The road imperfections are more noticable and there is more thump on big bumps. :mad:

I checked the inflations = 30/30, same as the Yokos. I am really disappointed & feel like I just spent $220 for tires that did not live up to their hype. The good news is that I a 30 day test ride on these. Are the likely to get any smoother or quieter in 1000 miles or should I be looking at Kumho HP4 (been satisfied with these on my A4 & Civic) or Yoko Avid H4 or Touring (highly ranked for noise & comfort).
  • Options
    pnassmacpnassmac Member Posts: 37
    Looking to buy one of the above. Planning on towing rental equipment for Lowes/Home Depot such as trench diggers, stump grinder's, and maybe even a Bobcat from another rental retailer.

Hidden Hitch is 35 dollars more than the recommended Draw Tite. Subaru's hitch is not an option - seems a ripoff for the price.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I got the class II hidden hitch with 7 electrical hook up. Works great and cost less than the piddling Class I Subaru hitch. The installers who had never done a Subaru before knocked money off the quoted price noting how easy it was (bought the trailer there also) and noting someone had obviously designed these things for towing. If you read up on the Aussies, the Subaru Forester from down under (Liberty, I think they call it) was rated best tow vehicle in 2004. I have an 04 manual X and tow a Flagstaff 176 around 1,800 loaded pop-up. I put electric brakes on it per Subaru's requirements and my main problem has been forgetting it is back there...
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I paid $320 including the brake controller and as I remember was quoted 339 for the Suby hitch alone. Even the dealership said I did the right thing. They thougt it was a nice set up.
  • Options
    The T/A's will give you vastly superior traction and excellent handling. They will not be super quiet as they have a block tread. Nor will they have a real smooth ride. The sidewalls are very stiff, contributing to the great handling, but you will feel the bumps. The T/A is a great tire, one of the best out there in its class, IMO, but it doesn't match real well to what you're looking for. The Yoko's you're considering will probably make you happier, although you will lose some handling and traction.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Sorry to read of this.

I put Avid H4s on my wife's previous car ('91 Accord sedan) and she was pleased with them.

I replaced the OEM tires on both of my Foresters with Dunlop SP Sport 5000s in the OEM 215/60-16 size, and have been pleased with dry/wet traction, noise, ride comfort and handling. We get snow here but not enough IMO to warrant a dedicated snow tire.

No doubt you'll get other responses - positive re other models, negative re SP 5000 - so search the survey sections of mail order tire vendors like Tire Rack or Discount Tire (you may have already done that with the BFGs) or the forums on Forester- or Impreza-specific sites (can't name them but most know of them ;) ).

Hope this helps.

Ed
  • Options
    Let's not jump to conclusions based on one single experience, I mean, gimme a break.

My dad had a Camry in Belize and it spontaneously combusted itself. Burned to a crisp, started while he was driving it.

As far as I know, most Toyotas don't do that. LOL

He also rolled over in a Land Cruiser, but that's not the vehicle's fault. ;)

Don't even get me started on the subject of sludge...

No car is perfect. Period. Far from.

You gotta take a day off work to get good service? No way. Ask around, find a shop with a shuttle service or near public transportation. You have many options, you're just not exploring them.

Sorry if that sounds blunt.

-juice
  • Options
    jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    U are not alone. My 2001 Forester had serious water leaking problem (jackleung, "Subaru Crew: Problems & Solutions" #4602, 23 Jan 2005 10:57 pm!keywords= ) but discover it right after warrenty expired (CA seldom rain and I always park my car under cover. I finally fixed it by myself w/ sealant from Home depot. I found other owners had the same experience and I think the QA of Subaru isn't do a good job. I am quite disappointed and I will really think twice before I buy another subaru.

The check engine light just on today and I may need to have it fix soon .... @_@
This discussion has been closed.