Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think it's OK. They use liquid-filled engines mounts and insulation to manage engine noise.

Basically it's just cold and different metals expand at different rates. The block is aluminum, while most reciprocating parts are steel.

They keep tuning the idle speed to minimize fuel use. They could probably smooth it out but you'd give up some MPGs, and nowadays you don't want to do that.

-juice
  • Options
    lemorelemore Member Posts: 1
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    At 1000 miles I drained the factory fill and added the required 4.2 quarts of of replacement oil (Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5-30 wt.) Also replaced the filter with a Subaru oil filter. Checked the level after two weeks everything fine. Did not check the level again until 900 miles. There was no oil showing on the dip stick!! Added 3/4 quart. Decided to drain the oil again that weekend and start over. Drained the Pennzoil and decided to now try Mobil 1 5-30wt synthetic to see if maybe it was the Pennzoil. At this point car had a total of 2000 miles. Waited until I got 300 miles on the Mobil 1 and then checked the level again to find there was no oil showing on the dip stick again!! Talked it over with the dealer they said it may be the synthetic oil not allowing the engine cylinders to seat properly??? Where is the oil going??? I now am going to change back to regular non-synthetic oil. Does anybody have any thoughts on this subject??
  • Options
    Make sure you check the oil once it has circulated in the engine and the engine is warm. Also make sure the surface is level.

Another tip - fill up the new oil filter with fresh oil. By priming it like that it also helps the initial flow. You might end up using closer to 5 quarts by the time all is said and done.

-juice
  • Options
    dinosaurdinosaur Member Posts: 19
    I hate it when car manufacturers give you that "nothing we can do" line. Its a cop out. You took your car to an authorized Suabru dealer for warranty work, and they break things and damage your car. Then you have to go somewhere else and the damaged caused by the first dealer isn't covered? That's nonsense and I wouldn't put up with it. Your car never left the Subaru "chain of command". At some point along the way, and not all that high up (district manager, likely) there is a common reporting thread. There most certainly is something Subaru can do, in fact their warranty legally binds them to. Shame on them.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    There is plenty of evidence (used oil analyses) that supports the fact that you should wait until after 10,000 miles to switch to synthetic in a Subaru. If you contact SoA I believe they will also advise to wait. Depending where you live and your driving conditions it might be a better idea to switch to a 10W30 (see your owner's manual). At under 10,000 miles, there are a lot of wear metals floating around shearing down the oil. And yes, your cylinders/pistons need time to seat properly.

I've seen oil reports of STi's shearing down 10W30 to a 20 weight in less than 2,500 miles and a Forester XT shearing down the factory fill oil to a 20 weight in 1,100 miles! 5W30 is "preferred" for fuel economy, but not necessarily the best choice for all applications.

Also, when you switch between different brands you will have oil consumption. M1 5W30 is a thin 30 weight so I would not go past 3,750 miles on the oil until you reach 10,000 miles. The Pennzoil is slightly thicker and has slightly higher high temp high shear viscosity (Product Data sheets from M1.com and pennzoil.com).

I thought Subaru would've fixed this "4.2 quarts" error by now. It's 4.8. Shoot SoA an email. So yeah, 5 quarts like juice said. :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Don't let anyone slap a smiley face on it.

The dealer told you the design of the horizontally-opposed engine makes it vibrate more? People here claim it is a smoother design.

If it feels like too much vibration, it probably is. A well-engineered, properly assembled car should not do that.
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I have owned 3 Subarus with the 2.5 engine, including a 2001 Forester, a 2002 Outback and a 2003 Outback. We currently have the '01 and '03. Each has been with a 5 speed manual. Though I wouldn't consider it vibration, I can tell you that, without a doubt, every one of these three engines has some shake during idle. Much more than I ever experienced with any other 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine. You get used to it, and I've come to regard it as a normal trait of this H4 engine.

I know some folks have said these engines have some type of "perfect second order balance", or something along those lines, but I have no clue what that means. I know it's not evident in the smoothess at idle. However, like I said, I just regard it as normal for these engines.

Len
  • Options
    queenequeene Member Posts: 1
    We're looking to purchase either a 2005 or 2006 Subaru Forester and wondered if anyone could recommend a reliable dealer in the Vancouver, BC area.

Thanks,

Queene
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    There is an inherent balance and for that reason Subaru does not require balance shafts.

However, 2.5l is rather huge for a 4 banger, and large 4 cylinders tend to shake a lot at low rpm. The 2.0l engines are better, and the 3.0l H6 is butter-smooth.

The '06 model with AVLS should tame that somewhat, because it can vary valve lift depending upon rpm. Every car in the lineup minus the Baja has that.

Boxer engines have a characteristic growl that more than makes up for that, i.e. they have character.

-juice
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Sometimes engine vibration at idle is because the idle speed is too low. I'm not sure what Subaru's specifications are, but I'm guessing you should see maybe 750 to 800 RPMs on the tach at idle.
  • Options
    They're probably tuning the ECU to use as little gas as possible. I'm sure it could be tuned smoother but it might cost you a little more fuel at idle.

If anything, this problem will become worse, not better, as car makers learn to tune their cars for max economy. Customers will demand it.

-juice
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Our '04 2.5X is the first vehicle we've ever owned with a vertical oil filter and I love it. Yes, it's great to be able to fill it with fresh oil and screw it on knowing that the engine won't be starved for oil at first start. I wish more manufacturers would do this.
  • Options
    Not my first, but I love it too.

My Miata is side-mounted and you can't help but spill oil. In fact the aftermarket sells oil filter relocator kits, it was placed so poorly.

On the Forester, I poke the bottom and even drain the oil in the filter before removing it. No mess, period.

-juice
  • Options
    brc2004brc2004 Member Posts: 14
    I've been watching the exodus from Texas, due to Hurricane Rita--the news says that some people have been stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for so long that they are running out of gas. And that local stations are running out as well.

Excuse the naive question-- but is it possible to store reserve gas in the Forester's cargo area, if one had the right container? (Obviously, only in an emergency situation.) Would this be a fire hazard? Is it legal? Will gas stations let people fill up containers, assuming one did it before a crisis and the rush on gas started? How long would it 'keep'?

Not that Boston is likely to get hit by a hurricane or other natural disaster anytime soon, but who knows?
  • Options
    To store a significant amount you need a permit, at least to store it at home.

Gas ought to keep for about a season, if you add fuel stabilizer. I'm not sure I'd want 3 month old gas with StaBil in my Forester, to be honest, but who knows?

Fire hazard? Definitely. There is a company that sells one gallon containers that are supposedly not, though it works as fuel if you add it to the tank. Again, who knows what long-term effects that would have to your engine.

A bigger hazard might be the fumes themselves, plus the fact that the container will expand and contract, and the inside of a car varies from freezing temps up to maybe 120 degrees or more, so there's another issue to overcome.

So I don't think there's a practical way to store much gas beyond maybe a gas can with a couple of gallons. And that amount might not even be enough in case you were evacuating. I'd keep that on the exterior of the vehicle somehow, not inside. Maybe secured to the roof rack?

-juice
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    There was a man who called CNN from his car this morning who had spent 13 hours to get 48 miles down the road (obviously not a Subaru owner ;) ). I was wondering how he was able to refuel without loosing his place in the line of traffic.
  • Options
    tford1tford1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to buy a new car, -- I want to buy a Forester XT, -- and because I live in the hot south I want both a light exterior (preferably silver) along with a light leather upholstery. But I see that the Forester has only one leather color option, -- and for the lighter exterior colors that option is an off-black. Question is -- sitting out in the sun in 90ish degree weather, -- will that off-black leather get a little too steamy for my bum, -- or is it lighter than I imagine? I haven't seen the color first hand yet, -- and also would rather just get actual impressions about this from owners. It kind of baffles me that there's only one color option for the upholstry. If there was a lighter color (with light exterior), -- then I would have no problems plunking down the $$ right now.
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    I'm facing the same dilemma - in the south, wanting an XT, preferring the tan leather - and will probably bite the bullet this afternoon and order one in Steel Gray with a black interior.

The Champagne, Red, and Black XT's come with the tan leather, while the White, Blue, and Grays come with black leather. The champagne color is too blah for my tastes, I've never liked red cars, and while I like black cars I'd never own one again because they're so difficult to keep looking clean, and eventually the paint will noticeably fade.

So there are options out there if you don't want black leather, but none of them were for me. Besides, I love the way the steel gray looks on the XT (I believe it's the color featured heavily in marketing photos and the MY06 brochure).
  • Options
    I wonder if a good window tint would help?

It's odd that Subaru offers tint on the Baja and Tribeca, but not the Outback or Forester. And guess which 2 do the most volume?

-juice
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    That's funny; my 2005 XT PP, Chanpagne Opal, has black leather interior, not tan. Maybe Subaru switched color schemes for the 2006 lineup.

To help with the heat, I tinted my windows (did so on my last Forester too). The tint really does help.

Michael
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    While I agree that it would be nice to have more than one color choice, Subaru is hardly alone in choosing black leather for its upholstery. But to answer your question, I live in "Hotlanta" and have dark charcoal leather upholstery and haven't ever come close to burning my tush. However I do highly recommend getting the windows tinted and using a sun shade for the windshield. Both combined will do a good job of keeping the overall interior temperature to a tolerable level. One other thing, I'm not so sure that the color of the leather makes that big a difference. I've ridden in a friend's car who does have tan leather upholstery and the seats get far hotter (uncomfortably so) than in my Forester. That leather was less pliant and more reflective so that may also play a part.

-Frank
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Tint is now available on Outbacks as a Port installed option. Saw an 06 OB at the dealer the other day with tint and it looked sharp. Retails for something like $279.00.
  • Options
    Cool! Seriously?

Is it film? Must be if it's installed at the port.

You sure it wasn't a dealer add-on?

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Yeah that doesn't sound like something they'd do at the port. My guess is that it's a dealer add-on (price fits too).

-Frank
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Don't know if the tint was film, but it was NOT a dealer add-on. It was printed on the official Subaru window sticker along with some other accesories on the car. And, tinted windows are listed as a Port Installed option on the Vanbortel website, (although the dealer where I saw the OB was not Vanbortel). Martin
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You're correct, window tint is offered as a port-installed option.
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    image">

Michael
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I have a o3 Forester x . I would like to get a 06 X premium with leather seats but they have to come heated. I drive alot and I noticed that you can actually feel the heating coils toward the back of the seat cushion. I sat in the Santa Fa and other cars with heated seats and you cant feel anything. It seems like that is a very poor design
  • Options
    dnestr1dnestr1 Member Posts: 3
    I’d just say that my 2.0XT AT (assembled in Japan, though) with 48.000 km (30 k miles), I bought in 2003, is still in an excellent condition and I have had any problems with it. Though I am going to trade the Forester for another car next year when its 3 years warranty ends. I am thinking it should be a Subaru again, maybe an Outback 3.0. Thanks to all who suggested me to do my purchase. What else.. We have newest face-lifted Forester 2.5XT with automatic but manual shifted transmission, also Tribecas shipped from the US are sold on our market well. Cheers all
  • Options
    oops, Host, it looks like there is no longer my Russian flag I always held in my hand. Okay then I might add 'our market' is Russia! Now all is cleared up
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try resetting your location in your Forums Profile in the link on the left. You may have to log out and back on to get the flag to work. Even then, no promises. ;)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    russskirussski Member Posts: 47
    Australian Flag would suit you better :P
  • Options
    By the way russski is a top bloke and I met him here on Edmunds two years ago. It is amazing that the forum makes people to be friends. Recently he picked me up in Sydney’s airport and then we had small drinking session around bars in the down town :)) Good to hear from you mate!
  • Options
    jmt2jmt2 Member Posts: 1
    I just had a similar experience - engine light went on and the dealer replaced the knock sensor - for $280. This was after a $460 tune up and a $650 brake job. They also had to totally replace 2 pistons and now a tire just went flat. I also need 4 tires. This is a 2002 Forester S with 37,000 miles. Is this normal or do I have a lemon or am I getting ripped off by the dealer. this is a lot of money for a car that was not cheap to begin with. Paid $24,000 and within 3 years I'm looking at a lot of maintenance/repair bills - more than 10% of the initial cost of the vehicle - terrible depreciation cost. My first and LAST Subaru. ps. I wrote to Subaru about having to totally replace all the brakes at 37,000 miles and have not heard a word.
  • Options
    That tint looks great. Is that the port-installed stuff? Is it film?

I can't imagine they replace the glass at the port, that's why I ask.

-juice
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    It is film.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 19
    Looking for a good snow tire. Have picked a wheel from Tirerack and need to pick tires to complete the package. They rec the blizzak ws-50. $91 I would like to spend less for a simalar tire of good quality. I drive dirt roads, 20 miles to work on country roads and a few trips of 300 miles during the winter. Dont carry much of a load other than 3 beagles.

Also looking for a 70mm torx bit so i can change my front diff oil. Checked the net with no luck. They want to sell a set but only want the one bit. Also checked Ebay with no luck. Pert

PS Ck with several parts stores. No luck
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I know I changed mine and I know I didn't buy a torx bit.

Just a swag--is there one in the tire change "tool" kit?

John
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    The T70 bit was a pain to find. Snap-on will be delighted to sell you the one bit for about $25 or you can buy a decent set off Northern tools for $29. The Northern Tools also includes the sockets for removing the male bits. Its 1/2 inch drive and fairly decent quality. I invested more of my time finding it than the cost of the set.

As to how someone could get the Front diff plug out w/o the T70 bit, it must have required some imagination. The rear diff is just a 1/2 drive. Front plug on the Forester XT torques @32.5 lbs and from the looks of the threads over torquing would be very bad. You should replace the metal washer at the same time.

The reason that this is so fresh in my mind is that I did it this week, on 9/27.

For snow tires I bought the $49 (now $62) Winterforce tires. Have run them for 3 winters. They are noisy, but work well.

HTH
    Larry
  • Options
    checked my '03 MT drain plug, it is a large hexagonal nut (standard socket, but must be about a 22 mm). Explains why I didn't need the torx.

You must have an automatic?

John
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Can you get a say 7/75 Subaru brand extended warranty that offeres bumper to bumper protection with a zero deductible? If so what does it cost? Can I buy AFTER I purchase the car, say several months later. Thanks!
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Yup, mine is an automatic.
  • Options
    Yes, up until the 12/12000 adjustment period, it should even cost the same amount. You have a year to shop around, basically.

-juice
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    About midway thru the 04 production, All transmissions got the 70mm Torx drain. Some Automatics, WRX and turbo's already had it, But Subaru chose to make ALL front differentials and manual drains 70mm torx.
    Took me a while to locate one. Single 70mm Torx 1/2 drive socket was over $20/us. Now I see them in kits for just a little more. So if you do your own service, something to look out for.
  • Options
    tekmerctekmerc Member Posts: 2
    The dealer now tells us that this is a common problem with the 06 foresters which Subaru is apparently aware of. The noise is now classified as transmission noise and you hear it when the engine is under some load and is quite distinctive and loud. I'm not sure if other 06 owners on this board have similar problems.
  • Options
    asplundhasplundh Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2002 Forester L with approx. 53000 miles on it. Recently the rear view mirror compass has consistently been displaying "S" and on occasion "SE" no matter which direction I am driving. I read the owners manual and went through the reset procedures but it is still the same. Does anyone know what might be wrong and how I can fix it. I doubt it but Is this still a covered item under the original warranty.
  • Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    This already being discussed on the News boards but I thought it merited a heads-up for the Subaru fans here: GM announced today that it will sell its stake in Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries. Part will be sold to Toyota (giving Toyota an 8.7% stake) and the rest sold on the open market.

The Saab 9-2 will continue, but the planned Saabaru crossover vehicle is canceled.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    If you already tried calibrating it, I don't know what else to suggest. Yeah, if you're past the b to b warranty it won't be covered.

-Dennis
  • Options
    was a jewel. 413.6 miles on 13.422 gallons (2 clicks) for 30.8 mpg. Mostly at 65-80 mph (except for three 65 mph to 0 white knuckle stops in the fast lane in Livermore on 580).

My Forester just seems to get more efficient with time. 43k 5speed '03 XS.

John
This discussion has been closed.