Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford News

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    Give us something snappy and we'll change it again.

Focus on Ford? Explore Ford?

(now you've done it :shades: )
  • Options
    "Ford topped an annual automotive brand poll conducted by Harris Interactive, while Chevrolet and Honda also leapfrogged 2010 brand leader Toyota in the survey.

Ford’s sales jumped 19 percent last year to more than 1.9 million units, with 2010 truck sales surging 27 percent and models such as the Ford Fusion sedan and Ford Edge SUV each boosting sales by more than 20 percent, the automaker said in January."

Ford Tops Toyota in Harris Brand Poll (AutoObserver)

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Boy it's quiet in here. Maybe we really do need a better title.... Focus on Fusions, Flexes and Fiestas..... Life on the Edge.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Need to get "Ford" in there for the search engines. :shades:

"Escape the Edge of the Fusion disaster in your Ford" doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

Meanwhile the new UAW head is blasting Mullaly for his 56.5 million bonus. UAW Chief Blasts Ford Bonuses (AutoObserver).
  • Options
    Oy! If anyone deserves that size bonus Mullaly is the guy!

$30K each for every auto worker? Yikes! That's should be the annual salary for some of them.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    The market must like the bonus too - Ford's stock is up 5% in trading today.
  • Options
    Gee, as it turns out I didn't have to wait for the UAW convention to hear what was coming..... The UAW’s Solidarity Train to Nowhere.

Dang, I wish I'd bought into Ford when it was down around a buck....
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think Ford should do well, but I can see GM catching up in a few years. There is one confluence of events that worries me at Ford; if gas prices keep climbing, the economy turns down again, stagflation appears and the UAW strikes I could see all of this driving Ford into BK because of its financial leverage. Don't think it will happen, but its an outlier.
  • Options
    Ford is blowing product out the door too.

Ford May Top GM In March SalesFord May Top GM In March Sales (AutoObserver)

• Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Steve:
    You seem to be a numbers guy. Can you tell me how many Fiesta's Ford is selling per month?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heh, I'm more of a links guy than a numbers guy. :shades:

"Fiesta had its best sales month ever with 6,270 vehicles and continues to gain share in its market segment."

That was for February 2011, and that number was about 1,000 higher than the previous year. I don't have a handy link for other months.

Fiesta, Focus, Edge, Explorer Pace Ford's 23 Percent Increase in February Retail Sales (CNBC)
  • Options
    tommy312tommy312 Member Posts: 15
    I hear you on that one. I can still see myself starring at the computer screen saying " I know I should buy 10,000 shares right now" but was to afraid to pull the trigger . That would have made a real nice down payment on a house :mad:
  • Options
  • Options
    cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I don't think Ford will surpass GM in sales. I do believe Ford will oust Toyota for number 2 spot for North American sales in the next 2 years. The Focus/Cmax will be Fords next big hit. The Focus sells very well in Europe and is ranked very high in customer satisfaction/performance and reliability. The Focus will topple the Civic/Corolla in about 3 years for either the number 1 or 2 spot. I have to say, the Chevy Cruze is a right step for GM. I test drove an LTZ and this car was impressive. Made the Civic look downright frumpy. I feel its going to be a battle between Focus and Cruze for top spot in the next 2 years.
  • Options
    xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    Dear forum host,

I noticed that the "Most Popular in Forums" frame is empty in the forum home page; one I entered any forums, the top 5 most popular in forums would show up there; but not shown in the forum home page. Can you fix it please?

Sorry for posting this off topic post here

Thanks
  • Options
    Good spotting; it's been reported. Some feed issue perhaps. Thanks!
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited March 2011
    Yes, this is a very significant development. Despite all its great press and sales which are rocketing upwards, Ford is clearly not resting on its laurels.

I notice your March 2011 sales chart above does not include Hyundai, at present the only automaker putting direct injection engines in their compacts cars, and I am already seeing that Elantra all over the place.

Unlike the other post above, I do think Ford has a chance at toppling GM at some point - the Cruze hasn't hit the way the Fiesta and Focus have (in sales in the former, and press in the latter), there are no new car models of any note in the offing at GM, and the only newish gas-savers they have are the Cruze Eco and the Volt.

Meanwhile Toyota stopped trying several years ago with the product they have been turning out, and while they may be attempting to restart trying now, that will take several years to bear fruit. GM and Ford will top the sales charts for years, and the more interesting race will be the one for third: will it be Honda? Will it be Hyundai? Will Nissan ever regain the sales volume they once had? Or will Toyota manage to hang onto third despite a lackluster product line and mediocre build quality?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    "The Polk automotive research firm says that Ford's loyalty rating -- a measure of owners who purchase or lease a vehicle of the same model or make -- jumped to 63.1 percent in 2010, passing General Motors (59.9 percent) and Toyota (58.8 percent) for the top spot in the study."

Repeat customers: Ford tops auto loyalty study (mlive.com)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Incentives Fall, March Sales Momentum Slips.

AutoObserver is hedging their bets a little in case there's a fleet sale out there, but the Wall St. Journal, Bloomberg etc. are all calling the month for Ford. Looks like GM still sold more to individual consumers than Ford who had lots of fleet sales.

Looks like the numbers are 212,295 for Ford and 206,621 for GM. (WSJ)

Or 212,777 vs 206,600 per Straightline.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Ford Motor Co. reported its largest first-quarter profit in 13 years on a recovery in the global economy, a larger portfolio of fuel-efficient vehicles and consumers buying a mix of pickup trucks and cars.

Ford, unlike competitor General Motors Co., also held the line or reduced its vehicle incentives which also boosted vehicle prices. The average transaction price, what consumers paid per car, rose by about $250 per vehicle, according to Edmunds.com. Consumers also outfitted their vehicles with more features."

Ford Posts $2.6 Billion Profit, Boosted by Fuel-Efficient Cars (Wall St. Journal).
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No one posting - guess it needs to be bad news to maintain interest?

Ford Q1 Profit Bonanza Shows Few Downsides (AutoObserver)
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
  • Options
    Great news for FOMOCO! I have been on this forum for years. I remember the forgein car support groups saying Ford was dead and would even be gone by now! This is American innovation, American determination at its best. Ford has some great product coming down the line to keep this momentum going for a while. The question is however will Ford keep this momentum going. Unfortunately we all know Ford has a hit then lets it die on the vine without improving on the vehicle. I can only hope Ford will keep innovation/quality and reliability as some of its main priorities.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    at the helm your wish will be granted, cannon3. Ford is more than just on a good roll, they're in probably the best businessman's hands they could ever be in. Ford is doing great and they're going to be just fine for a long, long while. Period.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    If Boeing is any indication of Ford's future - after Mulally left it started to have serious problems and looks like lost game to Airbus. That is the problem with American innovation - it heavily depends on one person when he is gone everything goes down the hill. Ford's own history is the good example.
  • Options
    looks like I got out of Boeing "just-in-time" then. I remember Boeing tried to go to "just-in-time" technology and it didn't work very well. Everything turned to military production for them, too. Yukko with a capital 'Y'!

I started at Boeing in Oct. of 1979 and left in May of 2003. They can fall off the cliffs of Mukilteo and just obliterate theirselves for all I care.

But if I were to buy a domestic car right now, it would be a Ford. I would go for a 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback in Boeing blue, 5-speed transmission, and a jumpin' sound system to play Foghat, Guess Who, Tragically Hip, Drive-By Trucker and Jason Isbell CD's in. And I may buy me a Focus in 2013, late in the year of 2013. Or I might instead buy a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid or Outlander Sport with S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) to control the car driving in all of this northern Idaho snow and ice.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    "Ford announced today two significant powertrain initiatives, both aimed at improving fuel economy. The automaker told reporters gathered at its Dearborn, Mich., product development center that it is working a 1.0-liter, three-cylinder engine for use in North America. First hint of the new 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine arrived last April when Ford previewed the motor in the Start Concept (above) at the 2010 Beijing Auto Show. Ford also said it has in the works an eight-speed automatic transmission that it is developing, engineering and manufacturing on its own with no partners."

Ford Announces New Small Engine, 8-Speed Tranny (AutoObserver)

"Ford on Thursday said its first 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine will be launched globally in its small-car lineup and told Inside Line that the engine is appropriate for the Ford Fiesta and Ka. The new fuel-saving engine — the smallest engine Ford has ever built — is designed to give the company an edge in the intensifying fuel-economy war among automakers.

A Ford spokesperson told Inside Line in a phone conversation that the engine is appropriate for the Ford Fiesta and Ka."

Ford's First 1.0-Liter Three-Cylinder Engine Could End Up in Fiesta (Inside Line)
  • Options
    winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2011
    What a waste of money on the part of Ford. They already have the solution in Europe in the form of several small high quality turbodiesel four cylinder engines.

Just slap on some emissions stuff and you will have a Fiesta or a Ka that gets nearly 65 MPG. I am sure that Ford's investment to get the diesels emissions Kosher would be less than trying to develop a three banger gasser from scratch.

Checkout this website. It is the British equivalent of our EPA and the MPG's they show are based on the Imperial gallon.

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=25511
  • Options
    Lots of us in the States don't like diesels.

But Ford is betting big on small cars, per this Wall St. Journal story:

Ford Sees Higher Sales by Mid-Decade With Smaller Cars

"The auto maker expects small vehicles will represent about 55% of total vehicle sales by 2020, and nearly a third of sales will come from the Asia-Pacific-Africa region, according to a Ford spokesman."
  • Options
    There are several diesels now being sold in this country that are fifty state emissions legal so your statement concerning certain states not liking diesels holds no water.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Please read it again. Lots of us in the States don't like diesels. Us being the ones paying out the dough at the dealer.

My wife has asthma and we aren't interested in buying one. The fumes bother her. Gas fumes don't. Other people have different reasons. The odor that stays on your hands or clothes, the availability of the fuel and mechanics who know how to work on them, and the typical price premium (rumored to be $5,000 on the new Beetle over the gasser, for example).

We're hashing it all out over in the What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car? discussion. Come join in.
  • Options
    I will join the discussion that you have suggested, but I want to clarify some things you have said here.

First, the premium for diesel (VW) is about $1500, not $5000 Second, with clean diesel technology, no fumes, no smell, no soot/particulates and in fact cleaner than a Prius in many respects.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ah, thought I had linked the story here too. It was on Straightline yesterday:

Priced: 2012 Volkswagen Beetle

"No pricing was announced for the Beetle TDI, but a $5,000 increase over base is a safe assumption."

Clean diesel, clean coal. Clean hands? :P

I doubt that anything has changed for Ford on the US diesel passenger car front since this 2007 story in Motor Authority.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    "Six Cars Everyone Wants But No One Can Get"

Here are the six vehicles that emerged...:

• 2011 Ford Explorer
    Year-over-year sales for the Ford Explorer grew by nearly 138 percent, helping it rank No. 22 in overall industry vehicle sales during April.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 14
    Day Supply: 29 days
    MSRP: $28,360

• 2011 Honda Civic – The Honda Civic stayed relatively consistent in year-over-year sales with an increase of just over seven percent, ranking as the No. 5 overall most purchased vehicle in April 2011.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 23
    Day Supply: 23 days
    MSRP: $15,805

• 2011 Hyundai Elantra
    The Hyundai Elantra increased nearly 117 percent in sales year-over-year, selling 20,918 units in April 2011 as compared to 9,657 units in April 2010, and ranking 12 in overall industry vehicle sales during April 2011.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 10
    Day Supply: 12 days
    MSRP: $14,945

• 2011 Hyundai Sonata
    Hyundai Sonata’s year-over-year sales increased more than 17 percent, ranking eighth in overall vehicle industry sales during April 2011.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 1
    Day Supply: 27 days
    MSRP: $19,395

• 2011 Kia Sorento
    The Kia Sorento increased in year-over-year vehicle sales by more than 41 percent, helping the Kia Sorento inch its way into the top 25 in overall industry vehicles sales, ranking 24 in April 2011.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 4
    Day Supply: 29 days
    MSRP: $20,995

• 2011 Toyota Prius
    The Toyota Prius ranked 23 in overall vehicle sales and remained relatively consistent year-over-year from April 2010 to April 2011, decreasing by less than one percent.
    Consumer Interest Ranking: 23
    Day Supply: 10
    MSRP: $22,120
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    I guess this will be a Prius fighter. I think it is hard to call, its sales could go either way. Probably depends and price, performance and interior comfort. I think it will be interesting to watch. It is good to see that Ford can make short lead time changes these days. They actually showed the 7 pass version at auto shows this year.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    "quality issues specifically included MyFord Touch and “some powertrain issues.” Consumer Reports and, evidently, many consumers complained about the difficult of understanding and using controls in the system that is Ford’s latest infotainment innovation, complementary to Sync. But Field insisted that Ford is “largely back on track on those issues.”

Launch-Vehicle Quality Plunged, JD Power Says (AutoObserver)
  • Options
    I absolutely hate the dumb up and down arrow adjustments on my Honda for the HVAC fan speed. Its a distraction and way more hassle than an ordinary control knob. I don't know if a lot of this stuff is really going to be a big selling point for Ford. I also expect they will break easier and earlier than a plain rotary control. Ford may be forgetting that the profitable new car buyers tend not to be in their 20's.
  • Options
    They haven't forgotten us oldsters. They may wind up making us mad though. :shades:

Ford "said it will begin rolling out larger, bolder fonts on certain interior controls. The plan is part of an effort at Ford to make its vehicles more user friendly and minimize distraction, especially for aging Baby Boomers."

Ford’s Bigger Fonts: Will They Offend Baby Boomers? (WSJ)
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    What has caught me by surprise is that the new strategy with making the Explorer a big crossover seems to have paid off in spades. Before the redesign I couldn't see how they could support so much redundancy in crossovers in their lineup: Edge, Explorer, Flex, and even Escape on the small end.

Is the new Explorer stealing Flex sales or Edge sales? Seems like it should be, but maybe not. I seem to recall hearing they may dump Flex due to low sales anyway....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I wouldn't think that the Explorer would take too many sales from Edge, just given the size difference, but Flex is another story. I have heard that they will not continue it as well.

There are some marked differences in the models, but the basic size is similar, so I imagine that many potential buyers cross-shop them.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    They really need to bring a Diesel Focus/Fusion and Explorer to the table. Diesel tech has made leaps and bounds over the last decade. Mercedes B. with its Blue Tech is incredible. The emissions on this is miniscule. With the Cruze going diesel Ford will have to follow, I hope...
  • Options
    "Ford's August European sales gain compared to August 2010 has the automaker owning its largest percentage of that market since 1998. Total sales in August in the Euro 19 markets rose 19 percent to 72,200 vehicles, with market share rising to 8.2 percent – up 0.8 percentage points from last August."

Ford Best Europe Market Share Since 1998 (AutoObserver)
  • Options
    "Ford has quietly announced via TheFordStory.com that the new Ford Escape, set for debut at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show, would come to market as a four-cylinder only. That doesn't mean there aren't choices, however. Ford is offering up three different I4s for the new crossover, two of them being of the turbocharged EcoBoost variety."

2013 Ford Escape: Four-Cylinder Only, Two EcoBoost Options (Straightline)
  • Options
    Sounds like a winner to me. The Escape is too small a vehicle to "need" a 6.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    But look at the RAV4 6 cylinder fans.

If gas dumps down under $3 and stays there for a few years (down here in "America" I mean :shades: ), Ford may lose some sales to people who think they need big iron in their grocery getters.
  • Options
    Not with the EcoBoost. Look at sales on the F150 EcoBoost - I think that's a good reflection. Honestly, I think the days of bigger engines is over (in terms of mass appeal). Today, it's all about building smarter, not bigger.
  • Options
    henry_nhenry_n Member Posts: 33
    I agree completely, it is about smarter, not bigger.

Back in 2008, my wife purchased a VW Passat. We test drove the 2.0 turbo, and the V6. The smaller, turbo-charged engine was clearly the better option (IMHO). Just recently, I test drove a new Chevrolet 1500 crew cab with the 5.3 liter V8 engine, and a similar Ford crew cab with the EcoBoost V6. No doubt in my mind the EcoBoost V6 is the better choice. Unfortunately, it will cost you between 3 and 4 thousand dollars more for a similarly equipped truck (compared to the Chevy with the V8). While I like the EcoBoost, I don't like it that much!
  • Options
    adequate for the new world order Ford Escape. Get a decent grip. Turbo-boost it if you need to feel like the Pittsburgh Stealers and imagine you have a brain.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    "Fitch Ratings said it is upgrading its credit rating for Ford Motor Co. and Ford Motor Credit from BB to BB+ and also issued a “positive outlook” for Ford’s future rating potential, a boost to Ford’s objective of returning its credit to investment-grade status."

Fitch Ratings Upgrades Ford (AutoObserver)

Standard & Poor raised Ford two notches, "citing the company's new labor contract with union workers and expectations of a strong margin and operating cash flow from its global automotive operations." (WSJ)