Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-Series Engine Swap

larry61larry61 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Ford
I am swapping engines on my 84 F-250 from a 6.9 to a 7.3. The year difference is from 84 to 89. I am having a lot of problems with the engine wiring. Can anyone get me a basic wiring diagram that will help me wire it correctly?

So far all I have done is made a little smoke.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    wrenchbenderwrenchbender Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. Is there anyone that can tell me if I can put a 4.6L engine from a 97 F150 4x4 into a 99 4x4. I belive the heads are different. Engine mounts and tranny should be the same. Anybody know conclusivley if this is possible or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    wrenchbenderwrenchbender Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    memfistmemfist Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1991 f250 with 5.8L windsor engine, manual tranny.
    what motors can i swap into this shell?
  • Options
    memfistmemfist Member Posts: 2
    have a 1991 f250, it starts most times after a long sit.
    sometimes it won't crank at all, no dash lights on nor headlights. is this the starter solenoid?

also, it runs well but occasionally its like the tranny gets too hot and won't shift into 1st gear (manual tranny).
    After it sits for a few hours (cools off) it runs fine if it starts. Is this a clutch problem or is it related to starting issues?
  • Options
    alaradialaradi Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1992 f150 whith 5.0 engine i swap to 4.6 iam loking for the wiring diagram to start the 4.6 engine :confuse:
  • Options
    seabumzseabumz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know abut this setup. I have a chance for a great deal on a 2002 v10 400 miles on it. and my 99 has 180k. think it might need a freshin up but way less work with newer motor. Any help and/or ideas are helpful

Scott
  • Options
    watt476watt476 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone come across this before? Battery has a full charge, and all other electrical seems to work. But it won't crank, and headlights are out.
    I just swapped out dist cap, rotor, and plug wires-could I have damaged a circuit?
    Thanks for any information.
    Jim
  • Options
    brokenfordbrokenford Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 ford f250 4X4 460cui would like to go to a much smaller engine. can i? whats involved?
  • Options
    brokenfordbrokenford Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this media. So far I read questions including my own, but no answers. Where are the answers posted?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If someone has the answer to your question, they'll post it here. Unfortunately, not all questions get a response; it may simply mean that no one here knows the answer.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    truktufftruktuff Member Posts: 1
    I have a '73 f250 with a tired 360 and a C6 A/T. I want to swap engines, but don't want to have to make modifications. I've been looking at a 351M, but was told I'd have to change motor mounts, bell housing, and exhaust. What are my options?
This discussion has been closed.