Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Cruise Control

rwilson65rwilson65 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
My wife says I'm damaging our car's cruise control by overriding it with the acclerator and then letting it settle back to the set speed. I say its not. We have a 2000 Honda Accord. Can anyone solve this arguement?

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Your wife is right. Trust me, they're always right.

Seriously, you are not damaging anything. In fact, it probably tells you that you can do that in your manual. Use that as proof.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It says in the owner's manual that you SHOULD do this when you want to pass and then return to the speed set. If you have the manual, check out the "Cruise Control" page. It actually recommends doing it for passing and increasing speed temporarily.

For once, the wifey is wrong (although I wouldn't phrase it like that to her :))
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I agree... no harm. Can she explain how it would be harming the cruise control?
  • Options
    neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176

That she totally is!

Though technically - what you're doing is exactly the way the system was designed. Warning - you might be damaging your marital relationship, but the car should be fine. ;)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

That she totally is!

And just like the good husband that I am, I always get the last word in. Of course that last word in always seems to be "Yes dear".
  • Options
    bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I have used that technique for years and in different makes & models of vehicles. Have never had a problem with my cruise control.

Doing what you state is better than the constant
    Turn-off of the cruise,
    Accelerate,
    and then the Resetting of the cruise when back to speed.

I would think that "click on, click off, click on, click off, etc, etc, etc" would wear out the cruise control quicker than your technique mentioned in post#1.

Old Proverb says, "Happy wife, Happy Life!"
  • Options
    majorgeekmajorgeek Member Posts: 1
    That's silly. I've installed many cruise control systems myself. A cruise control just uses a cable like the pedal and pulls at the same place on the throttle.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Many of the newer cruse control systems don't use use diaphragm operated cables anymore. If the car has "drive by wire" for the gas pedal, the cruse control is all run electronically.

If you buy a car with "drive by wire" and it doesn't have cruse, you can add it (most of the time) simply by adding the stalk button.

Mrbill
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I'm kind of confused. What exactly is drive by wire? I think my Accord has it, it's an 03 LX, but I still don't know what it is.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I don't know why they call it "drive" by wire, because it has nothing to do with steering. It is electronic throttle, which means no cable coming from the accelerator to the throttle body. I don't think your car has "drive by wire" (I think it was only on EXV6 in 03), but you can see for yourself. Look under the hood, and see if there is only a black box (electronics), instead of a throttle cable. If someone is pushing the accelerator, you should be able to spot the cable moving.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Instead of a mechanical linkage from the accelerator to the fuel-injection throttle, the Accord Sedan uses Drive-by-Wire technology. The system uses an electronic position sensor connected to the accelerator pedal that sends an electronic signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

They started with the V6 models only, and I don't know if the 03 had it or not. The I4 came later.

A co-worker has a newer Toyota, with drive by wire, and he added cruise just by installing the cruse button. I don't know for sure if that can be done with all cars or not.

Mrbill
This discussion has been closed.