Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera as a taxi cab

hyundai_fanhyundai_fan Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Hyundai
We started in the taxi business in 1999 with three Hyundai Sonatas. In 2001 we added another Sonata and an XG300. In 2004, we replaced the original three Sonatas with three of the same. We added an XG350. We replaced the 2001 Sonata in 2006 with another. Now we want to replace the XG300, as it has over 250,000 miles on it. All of our cars average about 50,000 miles per year.
We are now looking at the Azera. We are also looking into an Entourage minivan.
Right now our fleet is
(1) 2001 XG300 (semi-retired)
(3) 2004 Sonatas
(1) 2004 XG350
(1) 2006 Sonata
and we wouldn't have any other car!

Comments

• Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    That's encouraging as regards current generation Hyundai longevity!...
  • Options
    theroyalmiketheroyalmike Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I have just purchased a small Taxi company in BC Canada, my fleet so far consists of 2 Hyundai Sonatas 2006 and 2008 and one Toyota Camry 2007 all four cylinders.
  • Options
    occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    When visiting some smaller cities in Texas (Longview, Amarillo) and where I live now (Wichita Falls) there's plenty of old cop cars and Grand Marquises, but for some reason I always end up with a Sonata when I catch a cab. Can't complain at all.

I think the Sonata makes a great cab, it's easy enough to get in and out of, it gets great mileage, it's pretty darn reliable, parts aren't expensive, and they're cheap used. I do think the Azera is appointed too nicely for a cab. The 3.8L engine certainly won't get the gas mileage of the 2.4L or 3.0L Sonatas, although it may be close with the 3.3L of this last generation (06+). Also, they are more expensive. But they're bigger and probably built even more solidly.

If I had to start a cab company right now, I would probably buy several used 06-07 Sonata 4-cylinders and a couple of 06-07 Grand Caravans for about $6000 each and go from there. Run them out to 200-250K or so, sell them as basic transportation for $2000 or so, then buy more 4-5 year old cars/vans.
This discussion has been closed.