Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance Schedule

pagemaster500pagemaster500 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
My 06 Sonata is just about to come up to it's 30,000 mile mark and I need to take it in for the 30,000 mile inspection. I bought it used, therefore this is the first time I'm doing something like this with this vehicle. I was originally going to take it in to the Jiffy Lube down the street, but after a bit of research I'm pretty hesitant about going that route with the inspection.

I was wondering what anyones experiences or opinions were of taking your vehicle into a Hyundai dealership for these inspections. I've heard stories from people with other cars about how the dealers will manage to "find" a lot of things wrong therefore requiring you to pay more to fix more. Would you recommend just taking it into the dealership, or finding a small local mechanic to do it instead?

Also, does anyone know what the dealership inspection would run me? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the dealer "finds" a lot of things wrong to fix, just remind them that the car is still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. ;-)

Maybe what you are referring to is a common practice at dealers to have their own maintenance schedules for service intervals like 30k miles. Here is what I do: I take the Hyundai-recommended service schedule with me when I talk with the service writer at the dealership. I ask that only the Hyundai-recommended services be performed, plus any others that I might want to have done (e.g. tire rotation). Occasionally I get some push back when I do that. But I am polite but firm, and ask them to give me the cost of just the Hyundai-recommended services.

If you know a good mechanic, you can go that route also. I go with the Hyundai dealer because it's convenient, this particular dealer does a pretty good job, and I know them now so we have a good relationship. And the only really expensive services are every 30k miles, and I only put 7-8k miles on my car in a year, so it doesn't cost me much. Also, with one dealer working on the car, if anything goes wrong due to improper service, we all know exactly who is to blame.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Inspections are cheap it's the services that cost $$$. I can only think of two things that will cost you money. 1. Transmission fluid flush and 2. replacing the fuel filter. maybe the serpentine belt might need replacing. Your brakes might be getting down there and need replacing. I can get 40,000 miles out of a set of brake pads usually. I'm sure you have replaced the engine and cabin air filters over time so thet should be ok. If not, tell them you'll do it youself. When a shop tells me the serpentine belt needs replacing I just run down to NAPA, buy and replace it. Little things you can DIY will save you lots of cash.

Whatever you do now you can rest assured that you won't have to do them again for another 30,000. It's a good investment so don't fret too much.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Tranny fluid, belts, and fuel filter should be part of the Hyundai service schedule. I think it's the "extra" stuff like "throttle body cleaning" that you have to watch out for--expensive and not needed.
  • Options
    vjyvjy Member Posts: 27
    My GLS 2007 is going to be serviced for the first 3000 miles/3 months test. What are the things that I need to look at, or what should I talk with the dealer? Usually what are the things that the dealer changes at this time.

Thanks.
  • Options
    my best guess would be oil only. You haven't had it long enough to break anything. : )

If you have any questions or concerns now would be the time to bring them up.

How are you enjoying your Sonata?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am really enjoying the car, its nice and smooth and I dont have any problems with it. Hope it stays the same way.

Do I also ask the service person to change the air filters, or do they do it automatically?

Thanks.
  • Options
    They'll do it automatically whether it is needed or not. It's easy to check the air filter and cabin filter. My guess would be once a year is enought for both. Maybe longer on the air filter.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.
This discussion has been closed.