Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Outback Navigation System

5thmountain5thmountain Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Has anyone else had trouble with the navigation system on their Outback? I have a 2007 and on the Information Screen that shows "Trip A" and "Trip B", Distance, Time and Average Consumption, I have noticed that the "time" seems to run continuously, i.e., not just when the ignition is on. The dealer cannot seem to figure it out and called the manufacturer, who told me to read the book. I believe that time should run only when the ignition is on, but I can drive for one hour, shut off the car and come back the next morning, and the time will show 10 hours. Am I missing something here? Help!

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Sounds like it is wired wrong on your car. Stranger things have been known to happen, I suppose.

Is it strictly continuous? I mean, does it sometimes reset as it should and other times not?

If it is intermittent, then it is more likely faulty wiring rather than incorrect wiring. For what it is worth, this is the first I have heard of this problem.

Personally, I would have liked to see the system set up to keep a continuous log of hours the engine is running (like with heavy equipment), as well as an "adjustable" setting to track trip hours logged, and finally a auto-resetting option that shows just the hours since the car was last started (this is the only mode that is supposed to be available from the information center). But, that is irrelevant to your concern. :blush:

I read nothing about optional settings on it in the owner's manual, but then maybe we both just missed it. :confuse:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I think it worked properly for the first month. Then, after a weekend road trip, I noticed the clock had logged 48 - 50 hours or so, even though I had only actually driven the car for about 15 hours. I think I need to get the dealership to really pursue this one. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Out of curosity, I just took a look at the owner's manual again. It states:

"The journey time is reset when the
    ignition switch is turned to the “OFF”
    position. It is also reset if the ignition
    switch is turned to the “LOCK” or
    “ACC” position prior to restarting of
    the engine."

This is on page 3-38 of the "2007 Legacy" manual, which covers the Legacy and all variants of it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    So my journey time is not being reset for some reason. It's not getting the signal that the ignition is turned off. Thanks!
  • Options
    mangudmangud Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean Wagon. I didn't
    get the factory installed navigation system

I want to install an in dash navigation system. How can I do that ?

I would appreciate any navigation system recommendation that
    would work well.

Thanks. M
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you have the automatic climate control, you can't install an in-dash system. The stereo is integrated with the HVAC system. Your best bet is a Garmin or other dash-mounted removable ones. Some people semi-permenantly mount a garming 600/700 series units in the cubby. On my 05 LGT I use a Garmin as well.

-mike
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    First you can't advertise on here...

Second, it's $850 for a double-din opening! That's pretty outrageous, not that the labor isn't intensive, but it voids your electrical warranty and would put the cost of a stereo at well over $1500-3000!

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    missy15missy15 Member Posts: 1
    We're having a heck of a time trying to locate the software for maps outside the U.S. for our factory-installed nav system in our 2007 Subaru Outback. We're moving to Latin America. Subaru sent us to Kenwood (which makes the GPS system), which sent us to Kenwood Latin America, which sent us to Garmin, which doesn't have anything to do with the Subaru nav system. Tired of the runaround.... Any thoughts?

This shouldn't be this hard....
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Try this site...

Garmin: Map Updates
    ... you own a Kenwood, find updates here: Kenwood Updates quick links On The ...
    http://www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

Then see "If you own a ... Kenwood updates"
This discussion has been closed.