Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES Basic Maintenance Questions

assetcorpassetcorp Member Posts: 4
Can anyone explain how to reset warning lights on the dashboard of the Lexus 350 ES once an oil change is completed, so that the message "required oil maintenance" is no longer displayed, and so that the exclamation point in a red triangle is no longer visible.
Thanks

Comments

• mac1lsr1mac1lsr1 Member Posts: 20
    Did you get your answer yet? I just found it on p.287 of my 2007 ES350 Owner's Manual. It's in the Do-it-Yourself Maintenance section, right after recommended oil viscosity.
  • assetcorpassetcorp Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I was able to get a more complicated way of resetting the warning light for required oil maintenance from the dealer. If the method on page 287 doesn't work, contact me at [email protected] Put warning light in the subject line.

Dan Harrison
  • choufrankchoufrank Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the AC light flashing on and off? Does this mean that the AC unit needs a charge on freon?
    Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It means, generally, that the A/C compressor, with its clutch engaged, is not rotating cognizant with the engine RPM.

The drive belt is slipping..??
  • choufrankchoufrank Member Posts: 2
    Thanks West! I'm getting air (cold & warm) coming out while in gear or neutral. With that, you still think it is the drive belt?
    Thanks for your comments.
    NO.

Just that the belt is the most likely of MANY possibilities. Second would be the A/C compressor clutch itself.
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2005 ES330 with 47,000 miles. I use the regular conventional oil, when getting the oil change. I hear that synthetic oil lasts for 10,000 miles and its better. Any idea on what to do on the next oil change? Is it worth twice the price? Thank you.
    I think you can safely stay with the conventional oil for another 30,000 miles or so. Around 75,000 miles consider switching to synthetic oil as a prudent measure to reduce wear on the engine.

Here's why: I have a 98 Toyota Camry, and Consumer Reports printed an article that described sludge buildup in Toyota engines, even with regular oil changes. So, after having the engine fully cleaned (which Toyota paid for, even at a non-dealer!) the technician recommended a switch to synthetic oil. I did this around 100,000 miles, and that car now has 140,000 and runs great. So, I'll apply that lesson to my other car, an ES 350.
    Dan H
  • edouble1edouble1 Member Posts: 18
    1994 ES300 V6- 275,000 miles. I recently noticed a slow leak of power steering fluid from the reservoir. On occasion, especially on hot days, when the AC is used, smoke is coming from under the hood. I am assuming it is from the leaking fluid. It looks like the leak is comming from a hose just to the right of the oil fill, which runs from the engine, to the cooling fan. there is no actuall damage on the hose, as far as any cracks, but it looks like the leak is comming from where the rubber meets the preasure fitting at the end of the hose. The end that connects to the fan, looks similar to a break hose fitting(Banjo). Looked in my manual, and couldn't find anything on this. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
  • harry33harry33 Member Posts: 1
    Foe ES350 you need to put car in N(Neutral) position then turn off . Then press and hold trip meter reset button and then Turn ON, but not start. The " Reruired Mainenance" sign will change to " Mainenance mode". Then start the car, while holding trip meter reset button. for fewseconds this will reset the indicator.
  • frank944frank944 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2000 es300 to the dealer, they said I need to the brake light bulb, trans service, power steering service and fuel injection service, I know I need to replace transmission service in the dealer, what happend the power steering, do I need replace it or can I add it, what type of power steering u suggest? what color the power steering fluids? what is fuel injection service? is that the same as plug? thanks.
  • ghgghg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 ES 350. Upon opening the hood I was surprised to see the extent of the various covers that conceal most of the under-hood equipment. Is there any functionality to those covers or are they merely cosmetic? What is the downside, if any, to removing them permanently?
    Thanks,
    GHG
    I have found the covers to be purely cosmetic, and actually quite a nuisance, for simple repairs such as replacing an air filter. In my 2007 ES 350 the plastic covers are secured by plastic knobs that just break off, when attempting to remove them, creating another nuisance. I can't imagine the covers serve any functional purpose, as most vehicles lack them.
    DH
  • therealjabtherealjab Member Posts: 3
    ghg,

The cylinder head covers on the ES350 serve two purposes: 1) The cover actually reduces certain engine vibrations from entering the cabin 2) cosmetically cleans up the engine bay

You may remove the cover and not experience an increase in cabin vibrations. All you have to do in order to remove the cover is to remove the one bolt that holds the cover onto the cylinder head (see ref #90480 in the engine cover diagram) and the cover should pop off.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Given that the ES350 drive train is Toyota Camry, and the V6 Camry has none of these covers in the engine compartment, I can only assume they are cosmetic--just a differentiator for Lexus. I can't see any downside to removing them, but be sure to save them so you can reinstall them before you sell/trade the car.

Yes, those little clips that hold them in place are annoying--if you drop one, it's lost forever in the lower engine compartment. You can buy them at Lexus or Toyota dealers for about $1.25 each. One of these days I'm going to remove that lower engine compartment shield/panel just to see how much junk has accumulated there.
    All very typical (st,d)ealer RIP-OFF items.