Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    mister880mister880 Member Posts: 13
    My leased '07 G35x sedan just went back. I had it for two years and "loved" it! But, on several occasions i experienced a weird (and potentially dangerous) problem. Under aggressive acceleration from a dead stop, i would go 50-60% down on the throttle and nothing. No response! The car would just sit there idling. I would feather the pedal several times, and still nothing. I backed-off the throttle and slowly pressed down, and off it would go. I had it back to the drl. several times and they found nothing. I changed fuel and stations several times with no results.

Now here's the scary part. On 7/31/09, i turned it in and got a new G37xS sedan. Last week, while waiting for an opening in traffic to get onto a bridge, an opening came and i "got on it". NOTHING AGAIN! The same thing happened! I have an appt. with my dlr. tomorrow who says there's an upgrade (recall) available for this car that has something to do with the transmission, but he doesn't know if it will have any affect on the problem i described.

Has anyone had this problem, or even heard of it before? My first Infiniti was an '04 FX35 which was perfect. The '07 was also perfect except for this "no response" problem. If the new '09 is going to do the same thing, i'll have to change cars to something else, something i'd rather not do. But, i don't want to end up a statistic. HELP!!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,472
    Problem can be solved by getting Infiniti to take your car back & get one with a manual transmission ;)

In all seriousness, it sounds like there is an issue with the programming of the transmission software. There is probably a reflash that will fix the problem.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    hookshot35hookshot35 Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, I have this problem and everyone else who takes off quick in an Infiniti. The slip light comes on and it cuts the throttle. Just turn off the "VDC" switch and it will spin instead of cutting the fuel. I am sure thats what you're talking about. The car can break the tires loose so easily it happens even from a 20 mph punch sometimes. Try turning the switch off. You will smoke the tires all the way accross the intersection!
  • Options
    To nyccarguy: Since my car was a late production vehicle, the software update that you mention was already done at the factory. BTW, the bulletin # for the recall/upgrade you're talking about is, ITB09032A, just in case anyone else needs to get it done. Thanks for your response...
  • Options
    hookshot, i rarely drive with the VDC on. And the problem i mentioned doesn't always happen. That's what's crazy. Thanks anyway...
  • Options
    Wow, it sounded just like the VDC taking over. My FX will do this with the VDC off. The computer will still kick in if it thinks you are having too much fun. The G37 however will let you melt the tires down to the rims. Sorry you are having that problem. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.
  • Options
    hookshot, not my dlrs. service mgr. nor the tech people at Infiniti's corporate HQ have ever heard of this problem. Maybe because most folks ignor it, or don't pay attention to it? But it's on record now! BTW, with my G35 and now with the new G37, (with VDC off) i have never been able to break the tires loose. What's your secret?
  • Options
    Hey. I can't believe the tires won't break loose on your G37. Our car only has 300 miles on it so I shouldn't be doing it...but, the first time I turned it off and held the brakes just slightly before flooring, I lit em up and got sideways to the point I had to let off. The second time was a straight shot out of our subdivision. Just floored it. Tires started spinning and went into a full smoke. I let off because I din't want to ruin my tires. My FX35 will only do a short spin and chirp. The G will lay down long black stripes.
  • Options
    Hey thanks. I'll give it a try when i get a bit more milage. (425 now) BTW, have you seen the new 2011 M? VERY sweet! The V8, (M56) is said to put out 400 hp! Looking at the fresh, new lines, i think we may be seeing the design for the 2012 G?
  • Options
    mazzmanmazzman Member Posts: 8
    RE: Messages 197, 199, 202.

I got another post from Infiniti regarding my question on why the G37 is still using "old tech", unsealed batteries. This was part of their response:

"There is no particular reason that Infiniti uses this type of battery in their vehicles."

Still curious, I did a little more digging and found these battery-related "facts"... How accurate they are, I can't say.

(1) Sealed batteries are more sensitive to over-charging than non-sealed batteries;

(2) A sealed battery will likely have a *shorter* service life that a "well-maintained" unsealed battery;

(3) Unsealed batteries can sometimes be "refreshed" using sulphate-dissolving chemicals, sealed batteries cannot.

(4) "Sealed" automotive batteries aren't completely sealed.... One lab technician reported that during 10 % overcharge tests, on sealed car batteries, the "electrolyte soon disappeared."

My take... (1) Some engineer at Infiniti made the decision to go with the "unsealed" battery, for whatever reasons, but the customer-service person who answered my e-mail question didn't get the word. (2) It's a good idea to personally check your Infiniti battery's electrolyte level a few times a year....or make sure that the service folks check it. But recall, that when I asked *my* Infinity service manager what kind of battery my G37 had, he said it was a "sealed" battery. :(:(

---Mazz
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    You should do whatever makes you happy man :)

In my almost 2 years of ownership (08 G), I have never checked that battery nor will I ever do so, but thats just me. All the best.
  • Options
    kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    On my first G (05) the battery lasted about 35 months, which is pretty good for Phoenix. Never looked at it once.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • Options
    rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I've just installed the latest operating system software upgrade,1.2.0, and the previous audio problem through the bluetooth connection on our 2009 G37 has been cured 100%. Has anyone else had time to check?
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Is this a firmware upgrade on the NAV or the phone? If the former, how is this done (I'm assuming dealer only)?
  • Options
    rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    It's a software upgrade on the phone. The Pre should download the software in the background while the phone is on but not being used and will notify you when complete and ask for your permission to install it or you can download it yourself by going to "updates" on the third page of icons and pressing it. Follow the directions.
    Those of you without Palm Pre cell phones can ignore this totally of course.
  • Options
    denverg35denverg35 Member Posts: 54
    pharm30, from your message back in July, did you find any good upgrades for the stereo system in your G?
  • Options
    bob_2001pathlebob_2001pathle Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at the manual over the weekend and they referenced the KeyFob as having 3 buttons:

1 - to unlock
    1 - to lock
    1 - for a trunk release

My keyfob also has 3 buttons, 1 for lock and 1 for unlock and the 3rd button has a red bullhorn. Does anyone else have the same?
  • Options
    richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    Mine has 4 buttons: unlock, lock, trunk, alarm/red bullhorn - 2009 G37x purchased in June
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    My '09 G37S' key fob also has the same 4 buttons that richardnva mentioned.
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    Read a few pro reviews about either engine or road noise. Is it as bad as the pro reviewers say? I don't want to speak up to my wife on long road trips and that's what I'm looking for, a car that's good on long trips. I don't want it to be as loud in the cabin as my 02 Altima is.
  • Options
    r8cutr8cut Member Posts: 21
    What reviews have you been reading that make that claim? I haven't read any that claim the G37 is "noisy." Why don't you test drive it?

Here's what Consumer Reports says in part about the G37's ride:
    "The cabin is quiet, with muted road noise, and there's an unobjectionable engine growl under acceleration that matches the character of the car."
  • Options
    members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    this car is not lexus-quiet; it has a powerful engine that makes noise at throttle. that being said, it's not at all overpowering and other than the engine growl, the cabin is rather quiet. compared to my acura tsx, this car is quieter.
  • Options
    Raucous engine note at higher rpm, rough upshifts, elevated road noise. Did I misread this in edmunds review?
  • Options
    Thants a helpful reply, thanks.
  • Options
    Funny... This Edmunds review of a G37 Sport MT says, "Wind and road noise were kept acceptably in check."
    http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/g37/2009/testdrivemanual2.html

The review you mentioned did say, "We found road noise to be an issue during highway cruising, though bear in mind that our test car had the Sport package's aggressive 18-inch performance tires, which aren't exactly optimized for quietness."
  • Options
    Consumers Reports gave the G37 Journey sedan (17" wheels) a half-red circle for Noise. That's a 4 out of 5 when converting it to a point system. (Higher is quieter)

For comparison, the Mercedes 350 gets a full red circle (5 points). The Honda Accord gets a half-circle. And as the previous poster noted most Lexus's are quiet and have the full-red circle.
  • Options
    That is true of the S. Makes a difference I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 37 Journey. I'm ready to retire and want to make sure that the car doesn't have to much noise and is a good ride on long trips. I want to do some traveling. I have tested the 37 a few times but you only get so much out of that. I would be happy if it's better in noise and ride as my 02 Altima 3.5SE.
  • Options
    If you're serious about the G37 you might want to check this thread out as well: http://myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/196529-g37-transmission-issues-with-4th-3rd-do- - wnshift.html

What other cars are you considering?

Edited to add:

As far as long rides go, although it's a very individual thing, I've read from some posters on other sites that the seats can get tiring after about an hour's drive or so. There are better seats out there, so if comfort is a major consideration and you prefer a quiter car, then the G may not be for you.

I've also read that the leather seats on the G tend to fade/wear rather quickly.
  • Options
    Same stuff as the 37 and RWD which limits me and under or at 40K. Could consider AWD like an 09 Audi A4 3.2 but hard pressed to get it off the lot at 40K.
  • Options
    The BMW 328i is under 40K, I think. Although it's supposedly less reliable than the G. It's tough. Everything has its trade-offs!

Edited to add:

Have you looked at the BMW 1-series?
  • Options
    A little small for SoCal to NY trip and I'm 6'1. M35 if the price was right.
  • Options
    Genesis
    Model year 2009
    Sound level @ idle (db) 43.8
    Sound level @ full throttle (db) 72.3
    Sound level @ 70 mph cruise (db) 63.3

GS 350
    Model year 2008
    Sound level @ idle (db) 39.2
    Sound level @ full throttle (db) 72.2
    Sound level @ 70 mph cruise (db) 64.7

Model year 2008 M3
    Sound level @ idle (db) 50.8
    Sound level @ full throttle (db) 82.9
    Sound level @ 70 mph cruise (db) 68.5

Style C63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.3L 8cyl 7A)
    Sound level @ idle (db) 48.7
    Sound level @ full throttle (db) 78.7
    Sound level @ 70 mph cruise (db) 68.4

09 Journey 4dr Sedan S
    Db @ Idle42.6Db @ Full Throttle77.6Db @ 70 mph Cruise68.3
  • Options
    Remember that G37 was the sport version.

Interestingly Edmunds (via insideline) claims the '07 G35 Sport sedan's db level at 70mph, cruising, was 63.4 (at http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/g35/2007/full-test-2007-infiniti-g35-sport.ht- - ml)

Everything else being equal, no way can the G35 run quieter than the G37 cruising at 70mph (assuming an AT) since the G37 runs at lower RPM at that speed.

But that's what happens when you have different reviewers (and most likely different roads). That's what I like about Consumer Reports. They purchase their cars anonymously from dealers and run the cars on the same exact course.

There's been discussion of db levels on these threads before. There's different kinds of noise... road, wind, tire, etc. Different noises can affect/bother people differently. Measuring db levels is a good guideline, but it has its limits.

Have you driven the Genesis?
  • Options
    I've sat in them a few times trying to like it but something about it leaves me wanting more. Maybe a tad boring.
  • Options
    "Maybe a tad boring."
    *LOL*

That was my impression too when I test drove it. I'm not knocking the car. I was looking for something more sporty.
  • Options
    ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Read a few pro reviews about either engine or road noise. Is it as bad as the pro reviewers say?
    It depends on you, for me the noise is perfect, but I love to be "connected" to the road and car. I hate "silent" cars:)
  • Options
    Been there done that. I'm 57 and want a bit more quiet in the car now from the road noise and engine at least. I do want to here that pipe note. I think I might rent a 37 from Hertz for a day to see if it's for me.
  • Options
    I've had by G37S for a couple of weeks now, and to my senses it's very quiet. The 18" low profile tires do seem to make a bit of a very, VERY muted roar (roar is an exaggeration) at highway speeds, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I enjoy being able to hear a little bit of the road at highway speeds - part of the feedback I like in a car. I was not looking for, nor expecting a living room-on-wheels.

If that's what you want, buy a Lexus or a Caddy.
  • Options
    If that's what you want, buy a Lexus or a Caddy. To much $$$$ and the Lexus GS is old looking and the Cad is US junk.
  • Options
    "I think I might rent a 37 from Hertz for a day to see if it's for me."
    Assuming you rent a G with 17" wheels, I'll be very surprised if you think it's noisy... because it isn't. I doubt the 18" wheels are that "noisy" either. You'll certainly feel the road a bit more in a G than a car with a cushier suspension, but based on your preferences and budget the G seems like the car for you (assuming you're interested in a new car, as opposed to used).

Who knows, you might find some '08, new G's in stock. I would imagine you could get a decent deal on those if there are any still around.
  • Options
    It looks that way. I've got 40K cash to spend.
  • Options
    fahimfahim Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Everybody , how r U? I m new member of this forum.

Wish U all the best.

Fahim
  • Options
    Just a couple of observations, since I relied heavily on this forum when I bought my G37xS:

1.) More road noise than I had with my Audi S4 with summer performance tires. Overall not bad, and ride is a bit softer.
    2.) Stereo has pretty flat response with minimal deep bass--very good soundstage with the driver focus selection. Good for voices, but not sharp on highs--thinking of replacing tweeters and adding tight sub
    3.) 7 speed will never be called "smooth"--on rapid acceleration, really hangs up, paddle shifters to correct shifts are a must
    4.) Ugly engine noise at higher RPMs--but sound is ok if you are not pressing too much
    5.) Paint is much softer than Euro models, would really think about getting dark color (swirls)--and yes, it does scratch and not heal
    6.) Mileage estimates appear pretty accurate, unless you like to have fun driving (lead foot)
    7.) WIth all that said, I like this car as much as my S4 which cost 18k more--great handling, should be good reliability, and as fast without the nose-heavy V8--but will miss the exhaust note of the V8 :)
  • Options
    blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    i just bought an 09 G37x sedan and the OE ties are the Goodyears.

I've been reading some reviews at tirerack.com and other places that go so far as to say DO NOT USE THESE TIRES.

i'm concerned about this of course.

I've been reading about the Michelin Primacy MXV 4 tires. a bit pricey but supposedly outstanding tire.

any recommendations?

thanks!
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I just bought a set of Primacy MXV4's in the H speed rating. They are fabulous, smooth and I'm getting 1 MPG better mileage. However they do not handle as well as the Goodyears I took off. So there's always tradeoffs.
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Interesting feedback; I'm currently at around 3500 miles (also a G37xS) and agree with some of your notes...

- Stereo: Agreed. Bass and treble are both weak by default; cranking them both "to 11" yields much better tone, but it's surprising that a "premium" sound system's bass response is so weak (maybe not, considering it's Bose). Also, I've noticed that XM broadcast quality ranges from "decent" to "horrible." Some channels/songs sound like they're being transmitted over a phone line; I suspect this is a limitation due to the low bitrate that the XM feed receives, since CD's tend to sound much, much better.

- Tranny: I guess it depends on your preferences/expectations. I actually like more aggressive shift feel versus a Lexus-like seamless shifts, but I agree that paddle-shifting makes things more entertaining.

- I actually enjoy hearing the higher-rpm engine noises--very much in character with the car. I agree it doesn't compare to the throaty growl of, say, an E39 M5's V8, but I think it complements the (significant) engine output nicely.

- Agreed that the handling is excellent, albeit soft (again, varies with your expectations). Two things I intend to look into eventually are installation of the OEM big-brakes and suspension updates on the (non-X) sport package (or third-party alternatives if a better deal).
  • Options
    Excellent, let us know if you like the suspension upgrades. And if you decide to change out some of the sound system components, there is a really good thread on MyG37 that has a number of ideas (though more questions than actual change-outs, unfortuntately).

Liking the car more every day...
  • Options
    kavzkavz Member Posts: 2
    Hello Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying their new ride.

I recently got a G37S. I love the car but for the seats.

The Cup styled seats especially in the side thigh area is bothering me. Didnt feel it when test driving as I was more focussed on Car performance, pcik up, etc.

Does anyone feel something similar about the Drivers seats in a Sports version? Or is it just me?

Appreciate your feedback!

Cheers
  • Options
    I have not spent a lot of time in my G37S-6MT (only 850 miles), but that did include a drive up to the Western part of our state and back, ~3.5 hours in the car one way. I did not have any problem at all with the seats.