Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Lease Questions

Comments

• dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    The 535 has a whopping downpayment and a high monthly outlay.

I have NO idea what you mean by this or by the rest of your post. You don't have to put ANY money down if you don't want to when you lease a 535.

When I advised against leasing the Genesis, it was not directed at the people who are likely to exercise the purchase option at the end of the lease. Majority of people don't. If you are like majority, and you are going to return the car at the end of the lease, then leasing Genesis makes no sense because you would be paying 50% or more of the car's cost over 3 years, as opposed to paying just 40% of the car's cost for a BMW 5 series. The comparison to the 5 series was because I was referring to Genesis sedan, not the cheaper Genesis coupe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who scream that leasing is stupid. It is not in general. Leasing BMWs is quite smart because BMW subsidizes leases heavily. It is, however, stupid to lease vehicles with low residual value if you do not intend to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease.
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    The current residual on a 3 year, 36,000 mile lease on a coupe is 54%. For 30,000 miles is 56%. Neither of those means you're paying for over 50% depreciation over 3 years.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you are trolling this forum. Even with the higher residual and the rebates, based on the current MF, a 535 anywhere near the spec of my 3.8 GT would cost almost $760 a month to lease.

If residuals are the be all and end all, why not go and get a Honda Insight. 70% residual for a 3 year / 12000 mile p.a. lease.
  • kwakasmithkwakasmith Member Posts: 29
    Dulnev. Would agree in some cases that the manufacturer sponsored leases can be pretty good. In the case of the BMW 535i sedan, you're looking at the following;

$549*/month for 36 months which includes a $2,500 Holiday Finance Credit

Vehicle Registered outside N.Y.
    • $549 First months payment
    • $3,500 Down payment
    • $550 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $5,324 Cash due at signing

As you can see that's a 'whopper' of a down payment. Based on NJ tax, (7%), that would cost me $20,560 in monthly payments on top for a total of $25,884 or an average cost of $720/month over 36 months. Having owned 4 BMW's in the past, and driven the Genesis Coupe, it is a different experience but in my opinion, not worth 100% more.
    The analysis provided earlier is useful when considering the purchase or lease of any vehicle. For example, it also interesting that an Infiniti G37x Coupe with Prem & Nav which MSRP's at $44825, would cost you approx $12,500 over 36 months based on 55% resid. That's approx $850 more over 3 years than what a base Genesis Coupe Auto would cost you which is a $26500 car and approx half that of the 535i ! That arises from the fact you can get the G37 Coupe currently for $5500 below invoice. Would always reccommend you do the analysis with amortization cacls before committing to any vehicle but final choice will ultimately be a personal one.
    Again, you do NOT need to put any money down when leasing a BMW. What you quoted is a special deal advertisement (which is based on paying MSRP, by the way) that has little do to with what one can actually get from BMW. That downpayment is NOT required. Just go to a BMW forum on Edmunds or elsewhere and you will see what the current residual and money factors are, then go to the dealer and negotiate your best price (around invoice on the 535i these days), then just pay the required fees like first month payment and acquisition fee.

You do not need to put any money down to get the best residual and buy rate money factor. You can greatly reduce the money factor by putting multiple fully refundable security deposits down, but that's your choice.
    I would have loved a G37 coupe (I used to work for Infiniti), but the nearest dealer is a 6 hour round trip away, including a couple of mountain passes. The Genesis is 90% there which will do for me.
    I still don't get what your point is? I did exactly that for the lease I calculated. Got the invoice price for the 535i, took another $2,500 off that and then calculated a lease payment based on that cap cost, minimum down and the current MF and residual. The resulting payment was over $760 per month. My Genesis Coupe is $348.
    have to say, whilst a little narrow, the Infiniti appears to be a great car, great exhaust sound also. heard you can do about 150K in these without any worries from engine or transmission but would be intertested to know your view given your background.
    Will be making call this weekend and keen to ensure I'll be happy with whatever I get for the next 3 years...

cheers
    Kwaka
    The V6 is next to bullet proof. I've seen some with well over 200K on them. All they really need is oil and filter changes up to 100K
    Couple things: you got a good deal since the Coupe residual is quite nice. I was commenting on the lease of the Genesis sedan, which has a very low residual at 48%.

As far as your calculations of BMW lease payment, I don't know how you arrived at that price. I get a payment of $680 entering the actual residuals, money factors, and price that I can buy 535i for. Regardless, 535i is the correct comparison vehicle for the Genesis Sedan 4.6, not the Genesis Coupe. For that one 335i is a more appropriate benchmark. Sorry for confusing you...
    Are you looking at the Genesis Coupe or Sedan? The Coupe is more comparable to the G37, while the sedan is more comparable to M35 or M45 depending on whether you are interested in V6 or V8. Both are fantastic vehicles, but V6 is a bit too weak for the heavy M.

The price I can buy 2010 M45 has now dropped even further: $46,300 for the M45 with Technology package. That's $10,065 below MSRP and $5,600 below invoice! Unfortunately 2010 M45 will be arriving at dealerships 2-3 weeks from now.
    Dulnev, confirm I am looking at the Coupe X. It's approx $9200 below MSRP (b4 tax).

Cheers
    Kwaka
    Tks. That's what I was hoping to hear.

cheers
    Kwaka
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Cluedweasel, Hyundai's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00134 and 55%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that Hyundai is currently providing on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thanks wasabi911. Here's the information that you're looking for. Through January 4th, Hyundai's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2010 Genesis Sedan V8 with 12,000 miles per year are .00108 and 48%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi thinkingtl. Hyundai's current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring with an automatic transmission is .00134.

Car_man
    Host
  • atlspearsatlspears Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at a Genesis Sedan.

09/10 Sedan with Tech Package
    8,000 miles a year
    $0 down
    36 months

What should I expect to pay in a lease?

I know the number may vary based on the negotiations... wondering if anyone has a baseline or can share the money factor and residuals at the usage / duration I listed.

Merry Christmas!
    Chris
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    :surprise: Did you write the mileage allotment right?!?!? 8,000?!?!?
  • atlspearsatlspears Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, I dont do a whole lot of driving... not even sure if they do 8k mileage agreements.
    Hi atlspears. The last time that I looked into it, the lowest mileage allowance that Hyundai Finance offered on leases was 12,000 miles per year. You might be able to get them to do a 10k lease, but 8k is pretty low.

This car's lease payment will vary depending upon what its MSRP and selling prices are. I would be happy to work up a payment on it for you if you provide me with these numbers.

For now I can tell you that Hyundai Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Sedan V6 with 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • mannyman1mannyman1 Member Posts: 2
    any current numbers for a genesis coupe 2.0t base, manual transmission?

Also, as an aside, i am having quite a bit of trouble calculating a potential lease payment...

ive used an online calculator but am still confused,

i know the -

MSRP of the car
    potential negotiated price
    MMF
    residual

my question is when do i add in things like -
    tax
    down payment
    fees from dealer
    title/registration fees
    etc...

• walt1walt1 Member Posts: 9
    I was trying to lease the 2010 Genesis w/Tech package for $500/month and so far I'm unsuccessful. Is this unrealistic?
    MSRP is $41,800, sales price of $36,800, 15K/year

Bonnie
    Hi mannyman1. Hyundai is currently running a special lease on the 2010 Genesis Coupe, featuring a low money factor and $1,000 lease cash.

The following articles should answer any specific questions that you have about calculating lease payments: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • ryangambrillryangambrill Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the Feb 2010 MF and Residual numbers for the V6 and V8 Genesis Sedan? 24-30-36 month terms.
    thanks in advance
    I sure do. Here you go, ryangambrill. Hyundai Motors Finance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Sedan V6 with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 54%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a Sonata Sedan V8 are .00139 and 51%.

I don't believe that Hyundai is offering 24 or 30 month leases on these cars right now.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that Hyundai is currently providing on leases of the Genesis Sedan.

Car_man
    Host
  • tonystarks22tonystarks22 Member Posts: 51
    Can I get residual and mf and any incentives on a 2010 Gen Coupe Track 6sp with Nav 15k/36 months. Thanks all!!
    ^ the 3.8 manual (forgot to specify that)
  • bchipsbchips Member Posts: 3
    Hi all-

For a 2010 Genesis Sedan 3.8 w/Tech package, I was quoted 55% residual and a MF of .00215. Seems high to me as I've been seeing .00175 around the boards. Any thoughts?

For those of you who've recently gotten the sedan with tech package, what should I expect to get for a purchase price?

Thank you in advance for your help!
  • roberts10roberts10 Member Posts: 14
    Unless you want to get bounced around like crazy driving this car, I would suggest leasing something else. I have a genesis and it drives awful. So bouncey it's ridiculous. I'd pass on this car! The suspension is awful on this car.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    I'm curious, is it a 2009 or 2010. If it's a 2010 Hyundai hasn't improved the ride any. If it's a 2009, has anybody driven the 2010?
  • roberts10roberts10 Member Posts: 14
    HI..

My Genesis Sedan is a 2009 V 6 . I have not driven a 2010 so I dont know if the ride is the same as my ride. The car itself looks great inside and out. I have had it one year with no issues, but the Ride is really bad. Its like riding on a wave runner. If you are leasing also be prepared to buy 4 snow tires if you are in a snow area because the car will NOT move at all even in an inch of snow. You HAVE to have 4 snow tires for winter driving or else the car is not driveable. Factor another $1000.00 in expense for this. Hope this helps.
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    I have a 2009 tech 3.8 (bought it in April 09) and it rides fine. My only problem is that I had to get new tires after 22,000 as the Dunlaps wore out quickly.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    and it rides fine

Ride is subjective. I don't feel that mine rides all that well either. For some its fine and for others its too soft. I came out of an '06 Avalon and talked myself into wanting something with a firmer/sportier ride. I now know that is not the case. I always bring up the ride when people ask me about the car. If you are coming out a Toyota/Lexus/Buick/ (older) Cadillac you will most likely not be happy with the firm, sometimes unsettled ride.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ghetto2315ghetto2315 Member Posts: 40
    Please post Residual and MF for a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track with 6MT and Navigation for a 36 or 39 months (whatever the March program is for), 15,000-miles per year. Thank you sir.
    and also if there are any Lease Cash or Incentives.

Thank you
  • barrym1barrym1 Member Posts: 3
    I just leased a 3.8 Track MT Residual was 57% and MF was .0224 which converts to 5.376 rate. Got the I pod cable, wheel locks, mats, and net, out the door 29K. 499/mo plus tax. (I had to roll 6 months of payments on my Infiniti G 35 in to the payment) 15K a year, 1400 in inceptions. 36 months..20 per mile.
  • barrym1barrym1 Member Posts: 3
    take the sales price and add any fees you want to roll in to the payment. Subtract any down payment. Take that number and X by the resiudal factor. That is what the car is worth at the end of the lease. What you subtracted was how much the car depreciated. Divide the amount it depreciated by the term of the lease (36, 39, etc) that is your dep. payment. Take the amount the car is worth and add it to the agreed sales price. This is what is known as Total money. X by money factor. Move decimal point 2 spaces to the left, and that is your cost of funds payment. Add that to the dep payment and that is your lease payment before taxes. Multiply that payment by 1.0 whatever your stae tax rate is . I live in Fl so it would be 1.06 since I have a 6% tax rate. That number is your lease payment with the taxes.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    Looking for a 2.0T Premium (6MT) and/or Track (6MT)
    Residual and MF with both 12K and 15K yr, please.

Credit is Level S or Tier 0 (Super Preferred) = OVER 740 score

Can you assist please?

Thank You

Looking to close by month end!
  • carnut86carnut86 Member Posts: 16
    This is one of the hottest sports cars out right now! I can't believe how slow this forum is :(
    Here you go Iron Man. Hyundai Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track with 15,000 miles per year are .00224 and 58%, respectviely.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hyundai Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track with Navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00224 and 56%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi benzserviceguy. Hyundai Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00205 and 58%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track are .00205 and 57%.

If you were to lease either of these cars with only 12,000 miles per year their residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • de201de201 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hey guys,

I'm a complete newbie - while I'm trying my best to read through as much of this forum as possible, it's a little silly to go through 20 pages.

My car recently went through a puddle and killed the engine. I'm thinking it might be better to sell the car for parts ('02 2.5 Altima) and use that money towards a new car, rather than invest several thousand dollars on an already beat up car.

That gets me to this - leasing a Genesis Coupe. I live in the Tri-State area, 15 minutes away from NYC in New Jersey. More than likely, my dad will be signing for me (I'm 21, live at home, senior year, interning and already have a job lined up - thus, can *hopefully* afford reasonable payments).

I'm looking to lease a fairly base-level Genesis Coupe. I don't need navi, a 6 cyl engine, etc. I of course want basic features, as well as an iPod hook up and what not..but don't need to go all out.

If I have lets say, $2000-2500 available to put down, what kind of payments could I talk them into accepting? Is the $250-280 range possible? My dad has excellent credit, which is obviously a factor.

Sorry for the long message, and thanks in advance.

David
    edited March 2010
    David,

With $2500 down based on 3yrs/36k, you should be able to get the base 3.8 Auto for approx $310+ Tax assuming Hyundai are still offering the $1000 down which I think they are. It's pretty well spec'd out.

As the 4 pot turbo is $3k less, it should be approx $80/month less depending on the residual.

PS, I got a 3.8 base Auto one a few months back after a 3 yr stint in a VW GTI and have been very pleased with the change. If your approx 15 mins outside NYC, try Potamkin Hyundai in Harlem.

Happy hunting.

Rgds
  • carnut86carnut86 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2010
    hello all, just intrested to know what people are leasing genesis coupes for. Im looking to buy one in the next couple months. Just fell in love with coupe after test driving. Thanks in advance.
  • de201de201 Member Posts: 2
    Kwaka,

Thank you. Yes, I'm 10-15 mins from the GWB - I'll look into Potamkin. I'd prefer the 2.0 in Auto - it'll be less gas and less expensive monthly for me.

Judging by your #'s, this would be ideal. Is there a math formula you used to come up with them -> if I could bring something like that to the dealer, I feel like I could have a heads up in coming out a winner.

Thanks again.
    edited March 2010
    Just worked it back from what I paid with $1700 down for a 3.8 auto which is a $26500 + tax motor. If your looking for an Auto on the 2.0T which I note is +$1250 and not the +$1500 as on the 3.8, the var should be about $90/month. That said, the margins on the 2.0T will be slightly less for the dealer.

Also, I got reasonably well looked after on the deal, due to buying a new Odyssey off the dealer a year earlier however, the market/economy is still pretty weak so you should be in a good poisition to negotiate. The residual on my car is $14500.

Based on the above and putting $1700 down, you should be looking to pay approx $230-240/month + TAX.
    edited March 2010
    The member with the username "tonystarks22" wanted Residual and MF for basically the same trim as me and the same mileage, but mine is with Navigation. So with out Navigation, the 3.8 Track - 6MT has a residual of 58%, but WITH Navigation, it drops to 56%? Is that correct?

Also, I presume that 15,000 miles is the max published residual and anything above is to be purchased just in case I want 18,000 or 20,000 miles?

Thank you!
  • nrwaynenrwayne Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2010
    I visited my local Hyundai dealer to check out the Genesis. The car looked fine, but the sales "consultant" who came to "help" was as clueless as any I've ever met. I'm looking for the Nav/Lexicon upgrade and need 15k/yr for either 2 or 3 years. Seems simple enough though when I asked for a ballpark on the monthly payment, front money, and service cost, the gentleman's face went blank. The best he could come up with was that "they're expensive, maybe $400 a month." When I asked for specifics, he said the monthly lease cost would be $538/month, didn't know how much the front money was, and said I needed to check with the service department to find out about the service costs would. All he knew is that something was supposed to happen every 15,000 miles, but he wasn't sure what that was. He then offered to pay off the balance of my current lease and would pick up the last month's payment on the new lease if I would make a deal today. I guess that means he was hungry. When I asked about the difference between the 2009 and 2010, he said there was a different suspension on the 2010, but he wasn't sure what that meant. As I continued to be amazed by his lack of knowledge, he then said that he was new on the job. Seems that I'll be looking elsewhere for someone who knows what he's selling. Awesome!
    Thanks Carman!

ghetto2315, it's my understanding that all 3.8 tracks come standard with the NAV. Carman can you confirm that residual please?
    tonystarks22, that might be true. Even if it is, Car_man posted 2 different Residuals for you and me and we are talking about the same car with the same amount of miles per year.
This discussion has been closed.