Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Jimmy Speakers

mtlwizmtlwiz Member Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
99 jimmy am-fm-cd stock unit, both rear speakers quit at same time. anyone know if theres a common circuit to check or what possibly could do that?

Comments

• Options
    duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    It is usually a short, bad ground or a loose connection that develops over the years. Do not replace the speakers until you have verified that the wiring is good. Move the connections on the radio and the speakers around to see if the speakers will start working.

My right hand dash speaker quit and I swapped both speakers from left to right and I moved the wiring around a bit, now both speakers work. Either a loose connection or a short in the wiring to the RH speaker was the cause.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    As stated above, check the connections at the rear of the radio, and follow the harness down through the dash checking for damage.

While not impossible, the likelyhood of both speakers croaking at the same time is not likely. You could lose the rear channels, however. A cheap but effective trick for checking the wiring and speakers is to pull the radio, and disconnect the speakers from the back. Using a small portable radio, plug into the earphone jack with wire attached and stripped. Then you can connect the wires to each of the speakers and see if you get sound. The little radio will not have enough power to damage the speaker if you connect it backward, and you will know if the speaker and the wiring to it is good.

Shadetree radio diagnostics, 101.
  • Options
    amysman63401amysman63401 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 blazer and both rear speakers blew out. aftermarket stereo when i bought it a year ago. I got new speakers that worked fine for a few months then they went out too. not just scratchy noise but no sound at all out. guess i'll run new wires from stereo to doors?
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Are you sure the aftermarket radio didn't take them out? Many GM speakers are 4ohm speakers, many aftermarket radios use 8ohm. Radios and speakers need to be matched to avoid one taking the other out.
This discussion has been closed.