Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Expedition Theft Light Flashes - Engine Dies after Starting

johnl7johnl7 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Ford
1998 EXPIDITION IS UNDRIVABLE,DUE TO THEFT SYSTEM.2 ORIG KEYS,SAME PROBLEM.KEYS WORK FINE IN ALL LOCKS &
IGNITION TURNS AND STARTS THEN ENGINE
CUTS OUT WITH FLASHING THEFT LIGHT.
I KNOW THEESE KEYS HAVE CHIPS IN THEM,SOMETHING SEEMS TO MISREAD OR NOT READ THE KEY CHIPS.I DO NOT WANT TO
START TAKING THE EXPIDITION APART UNTILL
I KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.

Comments

• Options
    sparky1990sparky1990 Member Posts: 2
    Hey John, this is a common problem. souns like you probably turned the key forward three times in a row. This programs the key, however if you onlu have one key programmed "with the Ford Dealership machine" it causes the system to deny the key, other wise it is an check engine problem which has gone too long without being cared for or fixed which will also cause the car PATS ssytem to shut down. disconnect the battery for 24 hours or more, no less!, then try to start it again, if it starts then eevry once in a while you have to disconnect the battery, or it will do it again!
    if this doesnt fix the problem then you need to have the Key programmed at the Dealership, it costs about $119 make sure the mechanic erases the theft message then program key, it will work fine then i promise! I have had this problem myself! God bless
  • Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    I'm betting he has long fixed the problem, either that or the truck has been sitting for 10 months now. That is one of the big problems with these boards - people pop in, ask for help, obviously fix it one way or the other and then never report back. Reallly not so much of a forum as it is a gripe board. Used to be much more helpful here, now it a ghost town.
  • Options
    theo13theo13 Member Posts: 1
    1997 expedition. 205,742 miles on it. Drove it yesterday. Ran like a top. stopped to answer a call. 30 min later wouldn't crank. theft light flashing. Went back to it today. same thing. Finally called wrecker. Driver checked it. Asked if I had extra key. Not with me. Told me to try other key before leaving it with garage. Then explained chip in key identifies vehicle. Chips go bad occasionally. Extra key cranked first try. Guess it might pay to have access to two keys whenever and wherever. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    plonnyboyplonnyboy Member Posts: 1
    When I tried to start this truck all of my dash lights are on as usual. My theft lights and flashers come on even when the switch is off. I also hear a clicking sound with the switch off. Can any help with this? What can I do?
  • Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Does a '97 have a chip key? If so i'd suggest trying the other key, maybe the one you are using lost it's code. I have seen lots of this issue on other boards but never really paid attention to the outcomes.
  • Options
    mountainman_4mountainman_4 Member Posts: 7
    Driving down the road, it died. Theft flashed rapidly. Doubly fought with this thing for three days...re-sync'd the keys, powered down the truck (disconnected battery), now, if you turn the key to ON, after fast-flash of THEFT goes for 3-minutes, then it goes into slow flash for a code of 1-then-6 (16). No one on earth has posted what "16" means...but I am sure it is something to the effect of a theft fault code.

Ford did good on this feature...they ENSURED I will never buy a Ford again, for the rest of my life! I will get this junk running, get ripped by the dealer for the courtesy of them fixing this BS design error, and will have it up for sale the same day.
This discussion has been closed.