Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1993 Subary Legacy Fuel Problem

wshowardwshoward Member Posts: 1
Hey Guys,

I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy that was running great up until yesterday when the check engine light came on and it cut out on me.

From turning the engine over it sounds like the engine is not getting any fuel, the same sound when you have one of those unfortunate running out moments at the side of the road.

However it has half a tank. I am wondering weather anyone else has had similar problems with this and weather or not it is an easy fix, i bought it as a cheap run around $900.00 off of craigslist, but the car has run really well for the last 3 months and hasn't missed a beat.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My first guess would be the fuel pump.

When you turn the ignition to the On position, do you hear the fuel pump going "whirrrrr" to prime the pressure?
  • Options
    irowirow Member Posts: 2
    Hi All
    I have a 1993 legacy 16 valve,250km on the clock.A truly wonderful beast.
    When it starts to work on a hill it seems to lose fuel pressure as it bucks and heaves and backfires,eventually stalling.
    A brief rest; ignition off then on and away she goes, running great.
    I understand that fuel pressure is regulated by vacuum so I took it to the dealer and after he pulled the intake and resealed and charged $1000 the problem got a little better, but now it's as bad as ever(worse).
    Any help out there?
  • Options
    irowirow Member Posts: 2
    Further to my post re my 1993 Legacy that craps out on hills.
    Both the fuel filter and pump have been replaced.
    I'm thinking of hooking up an onboard fuel pressure gauge to watch fuel pressure as it stumbles.
    I'm quite suspicious of the fuel pressure regulator.
    The dealer is remarkably unhelpful.
    Others must have seen this problem??
    HELP
    irow
  • Options
    legacyhaterlegacyhater Member Posts: 1
    mine ran perfectly fine yesterday, parked it, went out this morning, it would crank n crank, but not catch, i can hear the relays when i cycle the key, and if I hve the key on nd touch the accel i get a grinding noise from the fuel pump are.. any ideas?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    When you first turn on the car, can you hear the fuel pump spin as it pressurizes the fuel line? If no, that's a good place to start. Check the electrical at the connectors on the fuel pump to verify that you are getting power to the unit. If so, but no activity out of the unit (or the "grinding" noise you mentioned is coming from it), that's most likely your culprit.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think so, too. Probably need a new fuel pump.