Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 GRAND CARAVAN/T&C FEED BACK

Comments

• That is very encouraging news hopefully we will see something good by Friday.

On another topic, what are the benefits or risks of Synthetic oil? Could you give a figure of fuel economy increase vs normal detergent oil?

Dave
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    First the risks: None.

Then the benefits...
    - Better tolerance to extreme heat such as when towing in the summer.
    - Better tolerance to extreme cold, or said another way, the oil will still flow through your engine even when
    temperatures dip below minus thirty Fahrenheit.
    - Much greater ability to hold contaminates, waters and acids in suspension without reacting to said
    contaminates and causing sludge.
    - Longer oil change intervals (a moot point during a warranty period).
    - Much higher stability which translates to considerably less evaporation over any given period of time or miles.

FWIW, I ran our 1998 DGC 3.8 for 170,000 miles on Mobil 1, initially the 5W-30
    grade until about the 40,000 mile mark when I switched to 0W-30, and then
    switched again to 0W-40 at about the 75,000 mile mark. During the ten and a half
    years we had that van I changed the oil every ten to twelve thousand miles (which
    was the recommended OCI based upon three different UOAs), and when I traded
    the old girl in, she was still running as well as the day I drove her off the showroom
    floor and delivering about the best fuel economy it ever had to boot.

As a side note, back when the van had 143,625 miles on the clock I pulled the
    heads off in search of an elusive slow coolant leak into the oil. Unfortunately I
    didn't find a smoking gun (the problem turned out to be a bad "O" ring in the timing
    chain cover), what I did find however was a spotlessly clean engine and that all six
    cylinder walls were still sporting the factory honing marks. Not too shabby. ;)

As for synthetic oil increasing fuel economy, don’t bet on it. I’ve read many-many
    anecdotal accounts of synthetic oil magically improving fuel economy, however,
    scientific testing says otherwise. Funny thing, when you look behind the numbers
    of those claiming gains in the MPG department, you almost always find “other
    factors”. Such as? The most common include changing over from a factory fill of
    conventional oil to synthetic after the engine has broken in and changing over to
    synthetic just as the weather starts getting warm. The truth of the matter is that
    had the claimant simply stayed with conventional oil, their fuel economy would still
    have improved.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • etpetp Posts: 153
    Well, all my hybrids get 4-6 miles more MPG with synthetic Mobil 1 versus partial synthetic Honda oil. I know because they put the wrong oil in my car and boy did it make a difference. As for a large car like the GC it is probably 1-MPG with the 44PSI being another 2 MPG. Try it and you will see for yourself. Don't trust me but prove it like you should for yourself.
    0W30 is the best but they may not allow that in the 4.0 GC since it requires 10W30. Wonder if 0W40 would work? Not sure why unless it is bad about pumping oil around the rings.
    Always change all the oil rings, water pump, & tensioner assembly when you do the timing belt (assume we have one as I am still waiting for the CDs) Cheap insurance to say the least.
    Chrysler files for bankruptcy
    Some lenders refuse offer to reduce debt, leading to Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. But Chrysler will remain in business and completes deal with Fiat.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler LLC filed for bankruptcy Thursday. But a deal has been reached to combine the company with Fiat in order to allow Chrysler to stay in business.

The bankruptcy filing, which was made in federal court in New York, comes after some of Chrysler's smaller lenders refused a Treasury Department demand to reduce the amount of money the troubled automaker owed them.

In remarks at the White House, President Obama said that the bankruptcy filing is not a failure for the company but "one more step on the path to Chrysler's revival."

Obama vowed the bankruptcy process would be quick, efficient and controlled. A senior administration official predicted it would be completed within 30 to 60 days. The combination with Fiat is also due to close during that period of time.

0:00 /4:21Fiat's big Chrysler challenge
    According to government officials, a new company will be formed that will buy the assets of Chrysler - its plants, brands, land, equipment, as well as its contracts with the union, dealers and suppliers - from the bankruptcy court.

The company's liabilities and an unspecified number of Chrysler's 3,300 dealerships which now sell the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands will be left behind in the bankruptcy court.

Administration officials said the Treasury Department will provide Chrysler with about $8 billion in loans on top of the $4 billion in loans it has already received to get it through bankruptcy.

Officials said $3.3 billion of the new loans will be used to fund operations during bankruptcy, while the remaining $4.7 billion will allow Chrysler to function normally once it exits bankruptcy. In addition, the Canadian government will loan the companies $2.7 billion to help support Chrysler's Canadian operations.

Jobs safe for now, but plants will close temporarily
    While an administration official promised there will be no immediate job cuts for the company's 39,000 employees or plant closings, Chrysler announced that most manufacturing operations will be temporarily shut down on Monday, May 4. Normal production is not due to resume until the transaction with Fiat is completed.

But some Chrysler plants, including truck assembly and stamping plants in Warren, Mich., shut down earlier than scheduled on Thursday. Following the bankruptcy filing, some suppliers worried about being paid stopped shipping parts to the plants.

"I was hoping we could get through this unscathed," said Gene Behme, a production technician at the Warren stamping plant as he left work about an hour early. "I'm disappointed. I would like to keep working. Hopefully we'll come through stronger."

Chrysler President Tom LaSorda would not say how many plants would shut down early or how many suppliers had cut off shipments on the bankruptcy news.

"Hopefully most of the suppliers will continue to supply us," he said.

Most of Chrysler's hourly workers will receive about 80% of their normal pay during the shutdown under unemployment benefits and supplemental pay in the union contract.

The employees whose jobs may be most immediately in danger are the 3,400 workers of Chrysler Financial, which provides loans to Chrysler customers and its dealers.

That unit is essentially going out of business. As part of the reorganization, lending will now be provided by GMAC, the finance arm jointly owned by General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) and current Chrysler parent Cerberus Capital Management. (Cerberus will end up with no stake in Chrysler once the bankruptcy is complete and is in the process of cutting its stake in GMAC to less than 15%.)

Some of the 140,000 employees at Chrysler's network of dealers could also be at risk. Chrysler CEO Robert Nardelli said that the reduction in the network of 3,300 dealers would not be a "catastrophic" but that it would be "noticeable."

Nardelli, who joined Chrysler two years ago, will leave after Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy and completes the alliance with Fiat.

Fiat will be calling more of the shots after the combination as the deal calls for it to provide "management services" to Chrysler.

A successor for Nardelli will be named by the new Chrysler board of directors, which will have four members named by the Treasury Department, three named by Fiat, and one each by the UAW and the Canadian government.

Once the deal closes, Fiat will examine the cost structure of Chrysler to find additional savings. Fiat has promised to use Chrysler's existing plants to build the small cars it now sells in Europe for the U.S. market.

Last-minute deals ensured Chrysler's survival
    Chrysler faced a midnight Thursday deadline from the Treasury Department to reach deals with creditors who had loaned the company about $7 billion.

But the troubled 85-year old automaker was able to avoid liquidation thanks to the deal with Fiat, concessions from the United Auto Workers union and agreements by major lenders to cut Chrysler's debt.

The UAW announced late Wednesday night that its membership at Chrysler had overwhelmingly ratified the agreement reached between the company and union leadership on Sunday night.

As a result of that deal, the UAW will own 55% of Chrysler. Fiat will own a 20% stake with the option of increasing it to 35%. The U.S. government will own 8% and Canada will have a 2% stake.

Major banks such as Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) agreed to reduce their portion of $7 billion in secured loans to a more manageable $2.25 billion, but talks with smaller lenders broke down Wednesday when they refused to meet a deadline set by the Treasury Department to accept pennies on the dollars for loans to Chrysler.

Nonetheless, the fact that Chrysler will not have a disorderly bankruptcy may prevent a rash of failures across the auto supplier industry that had the potential to disrupt production at other automakers.

Chrysler owes its suppliers about $7 billion, according to the latest figures available from the company. Some of those suppliers could still be hurt by the bankruptcy filing.

And the auto industry's woes are far from over. Sales have plunged due to the global recession and tighter credit. Major automakers are expected to report dismal April sales on Friday.

Chrysler has been among the hardest hit. It has fallen behind Toyota Motor (TM) in sales, and is close to being overtaken by Honda (HMC) for the No. 4 spot for U.S. sales.

In addition, GM faces a government-imposed deadline to restructure by the end of May or it too could be forced into bankruptcy.

CNN White House correspondent Suzanne Malveaux and CNN senior correspondent Allan Chernoff contributed to this story.
  • Only a partial bankruptcy, its good to know Chrysler can make it back from this now.

Not to beat a dead horse but about the Synthetic oil, when would be the right time to make the switch? how long should I let it break in?

Also thanks to Shipo for the cylinder picture that information is truly amazing.

Dave
  • fmichaelfmichael Posts: 95
    From what I've heard/read - you can start using full synthetic oil from your 1st oil change onward (that is let the factory oil do it's job for up to 5000 miles, & then start using the synthetic if you wish)...Over at the http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ site they discuss oil of all types; they give high marks to the MotorCraft synthetic blend (5w-20 & 5w-30)...I own an Edge, & it's what I use; my brother is a mechanic at a Ford dealer in Arizona, & he tells me this oil has no problem holding-up to the 100'F plus days of summer...I'm sure it would do just fine in the T&C/GC, & it's readily available at most Wal-Marts for roughly $2 per quart.
    "Well, all my hybrids get 4-6 miles more MPG with synthetic Mobil 1 versus partial synthetic Honda oil. I know because they put the wrong oil in my car and boy did it make a difference."

To say that I doubt your anecdotal claims is an understatement. Nothing personal, it's just that I've been reading such claims for many years, and never once have they been proven out. From a scientific perspective, synthetic oil of any given grade has the same general viscosity and "slipperiness" as conventional oil of the same grade. That being the case, to what do you ascribe the enhanced fuel economy you're claiming?

"As for a large car like the GC it is probably 1-MPG with the 44PSI being another 2 MPG. Try it and you will see for yourself. Don't trust me but prove it like you should for yourself."

I've been running synthetic oil in cars for the last thirty years (and over 1,700,000 miles) and never once have I seen a change in fuel economy when I switched the cars over to synthetic.

"0W30 is the best but they may not allow that in the 4.0 GC since it requires 10W30. Wonder if 0W40 would work? Not sure why unless it is bad about pumping oil around the rings."

Not true, Mobil 1 0W-30 is certified to meet all of the Chrysler oil specifications that are required for the new 4.0 liter engine.

"Always change all the oil rings, water pump, & tensioner assembly when you do the timing belt (assume we have one as I am still waiting for the CDs) Cheap insurance to say the least."

Change the oil rings when you change the water pump? Where on Earth did you get that? Assuming the engine is properly cared for, oil rings should easily last many hundreds of thousands of miles. That said, when you change the timing belt (yes, your 4.0 liter has a belt), it is always a good idea to change the water pump, however, I would be surprised to find that the 4.0 liter engine has a tensioner assembly for said timing belt.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Are you a mechanic? Just curious because I meant oil seals//sorry about the mistype. As for what the 4.0 has we will see very soon. LOL
    The dealer told me not to put anything in my vehicle except 10W30. Do you have a reference that it is ok to use 0W30 in my 4.0?
    Dave, what up. LOL
    Shipo, I really do appreciate your posts but you are bringing out the military in me and that is not good. Help me to chill out because life is short man.
    Thanks for being here,
    "Are you a mechanic? Just curious because I meant oil seals//sorry about the mistype."

Former mechanic, current engineer and auto enthusiast. :shades:

"As for what the 4.0 has we will see very soon. LOL"

How about a page from the parts guide?

"The dealer told me not to put anything in my vehicle except 10W30. Do you have a reference that it is ok to use 0W30 in my 4.0?"

Sorry to say it, but some of the absolute worst advice I've ever gotten about cars and their maintenance has come from the service departments of the dealerships where the cars were purchased. Regarding what is acceptable for use in your car, the technical specifications call for oil that meets the DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395 oil specification and is at least a 10W-30. What that means is that you need an oil that meets the following criteria:

1) A thirty grade oil when the oil is hot
    2) An oil that is graded no higher than 10W when cold
    3) An oil that meets MS-6395

Said another way, you need an oil that is either 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 AND meets MS-6395. While it may well be true that most conventional "something-W-thirty" oils that meet MS-6395 are of the 10W-30 grade, that same basic rule doesn't hold true for synthetic oils. Case in point, Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are all certified to meet MS-6395. Given that a 0W-30 oil will pump faster and reach critical engine parts sooner (compared to the other two grades) following a cold start (regardless of temperature, but more so when it's cold outside), there is only one oil that I would use in a new 4.0 liter engine, and that's the 0W-30 offering.

BTW, it seems that more than a few of us on this thread are former military. Semper Fi! ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks man, I was a VOTEC Auto and Electrical instructor before 911. PhD in law. I know! Can't keep a job. However my sordid past caught up with me and I am doing something completely different. LOL
    No worries. :)

FWIW, I significantly added to my post after you responded to the first chunk. You might want to page back and look at the rest of it. :blush:

Best reggards,
    Shipo
  • There has been a lot of good banter about syinthetic oils here and althow I had never given the matter much thought preveus to this discusion I must say that Im very comfortabul making the switch at this point, once the first oil change comes due.

Any one know if there are any warranty issues with synthetic oil use?

PS. you can tell Shipo is a pilot, hes got that precision thing down. I was hoping to get my multiple engine cert before I was 50 but my wife wont let me fly now that we have kids. Don't sweat the military thing, life experience is our greatest strength, even if we get that pit of the stomach nervous feeling just thinking about it. (like I do)

Dave
    "PS. you can tell Shipo is a pilot, hes got that precision thing down."

Geez, is it that apparent? :confuse: ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    My dealer may not put the 0W30 in but I will press to test at 6K since my Honda Civic Hybrid uses that and now I will also press to test the Toyota dealer on the Prius as they are stating 5W30. I got 6 free oil changes under contract because of a military discount deal so I would like to use the dealer if I can. Hopefully we will have our CDs soon and we can copy and paste parts lists with Dodge official diagrams. Where did you grab those diagrams?

BTW/ I called 3 dealers and e-mailed the home office and they would not bite on 0W30 right after I bought the vehicle. I am concerned about the oil being too thin do to the assembly/ engineering tolerances of all the parts. I am really gun shy about doing something the dealer tells me not to do.

Also Shipo doesn't eat bananas so he can't be a pilot. LOL

Did that for 20 fraking years and don't ever care to do it again. Very painful. (B-52IP)
    If we can use the 0W30 without any serious side effects then that is the way to go period. I am just a little gun shy right now. If you think 1 MPG is worth it then go for it with the 10W30 synthetic. You may get 1.5 to 2 with the 0W30. Tire pressure is the main thing that will increase you gas mileage and with those large tires you will not notice the stiff ride like I have in my Prius (195/55/16) at 46PSI. I suggest you do a test for us. Drive one tank at 44PSI cold and give us your results. Then have your oil changed to 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 10W30 and drive a tank full and give us those results. I already have mine, but you know I am a blind, toothless old man at 108 years old and still working LOL.
    "Where did you grab those diagrams?"

www.dodgeparts.com

"BTW/ I called 3 dealers and e-mailed the home office and they would not bite on 0W30 right after I bought the vehicle."

Not at all surprising, folks who work for the dealers aren't exactly all that knowledgeable about the equipment they sell and support; I suppose if they were they'd be working for the mother corporation designing the vehicles instead of selling and maintaining them. Like I said before, some of the absolute worst automotive related maintenance advice I've ever heard came from the mouths of service technicians and service managers.

"I am concerned about the oil being too thin do to the assembly/ engineering tolerances of all the parts. I am really gun shy about doing something the dealer tells me not to do."

I'm not at all sure I understand that. In spite of the "0W" grading of the cold flow properties of 0W-30 oils, the fact remains that they are still way too thick when cold for anything other than moderate driving until the engine (and the oil) warm up. By definition, once warmed up there should be virtually no difference between the flow and viscosity properties of 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 or even straight 30 weight oil.

"Also Shipo doesn't eat bananas so he can't be a pilot. LOL

Did that for 20 fraking years and don't ever care to do it again. Very painful. (B-52IP)"

Twenty years? Ouch, my hat's off to ya. I'm more of a glider and tail dragging Cessna 170B kind of guy. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • So I just got my oil changed and I have 76,000 miles on the vehicle. They tell me the oil pan gasket is leaking and will cost $275 to repair. How overpriced is this?
    How overpriced? Extremely. Why? Because there is nothing below the oil pan on these vans. Simply remove the bolts, drop the pan, clean the surfaces, slap in a new gasket and put it all back together.

That said, the oil pan gaskets aren't known for leaking on these engines, however, the valve cover gaskets are. I'm thinking that I'd find a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Ditto on the second opinion.
    Hey man I did not see a water pump/where is it on this engine? Also no tensioner assembly?

trivia /// How do you check the oil in the transmission when you drain it? Does the dealer have a magic dip stick. Crap.
    The water pump is on a different illustration than the one I posted earlier. If you go to http://www.dodgeparts.com and lookup the cooling system for a 2008 DGC, you'll be able to view the illustration for that part. :shades:

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • fmichaelfmichael Posts: 95
    Haven't made the purchase just yet (gotta get the condo re-financed 1st :( )

Anywho; test drove the Honda Odyssey EX, & Chrysler T&C Touring w/25th Anniversary package this past week.

Gotta say of these 2 I liked the Chrysler better; more supple ride along with less wind/road noise. The Honda did however have better handling (hell it's a mini-van so it's rather a moot point IMO), & the engine was more powerful/responsive/refined (the T&C had the old but true 3.8L pushrod V6).

Before I make my final decision I'll have to test drive the Sienna, but for now me likey the T&C.
    Nice site but the parts are scattered around on different diagrams. But a good source to find stuff.
    I found the tensioner assembly with no diagram.
    The GC has a touring suspension option on the SXT with leather.

The financing deals are over and you are on your own or GMAC. ARGH!
    Chrysler set to close four plants
    Bankrupt automaker identified four facilities set to shut down by end of 2010 in its Chapter 11 filing; almost 5,000 jobs at risk.

The Sterling Heights assembly plant is one of four Chrysler plants identified to be closed in a bankruptcy court filing Friday.
    DETROIT'S DOWNFALL
    New loans for car dealers - but will they help?
    Chrysler aftershocks to hit industry hard
    Speed of the essence: Chrysler lawyer
    Auto sales plunge, but outlook improves

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Bankrupt automaker Chrysler LLC identified four plants with almost 5,000 jobs between them slated for closure by the end of next year, according to a filing with the bankruptcy court Friday.

The plants on the chopping block are the Sterling Heights, Mich., assembly plant that makes the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger; the St. Louis North assembly plant that builds the Dodge Ram pickup; the Twinsburg, Ohio stamping plant and an engine plant in Kenosha, Wisc.

The St. Louis plant could close as soon as this September, while the Twinsburg plant is slated to close by March. The Kenosha plant would be shut in October 2010 while Sterling Heights would close in December 2010.

While the Chrysler media site lists almost 4,700 jobs at those four plants, company spokesman Ed Garsten said the company is not announcing job cuts as part of the filing. He said the company could transfer these workers to new facilities depending on how fast it starts production of new Fiat cars for the North American market.

0:00 /1:34Chrysler workers react
    In addition, the filing identified the Detroit Axle plant as being closed, but that facility, which employs about 1,650 workers, was previously set for closure. Most of the workers are expected to be transferred to a more efficient plant now under construction, Garsten said.

The Conner Avenue plant in Detroit, where 115 workers make the niche Viper muscle car, will not stay with the company after bankruptcy, according to the filing. But Chrysler had already said that the Viper model and the plant were up for sale.

A plant in Newark, Del. and another one St. Louis that are already closed will not be part of the company after it emerges from bankruptcy either.

The company has just under 39,000 U.S. employees who are affected by the company's bankruptcy filing Thursday. Chrysler also said in its filing that 23 plants in North America will remain following the company's exit from bankruptcy.

The company and the United Auto Workers union filed petitions to keep the new labor deal, ratified by membership late Wednesday, while the company is in bankruptcy.

But virtually all of Chrysler's plants will be shut down for the 30 to 60 day period that the company expects to be in bankruptcy. During that time, Chrysler will work to close a deal to join with Italian automaker Fiat. Workers will be paid about 80% of their normal pay during this temporary layoff.
    Chill out, Chrysler owners
    The word 'bankruptcy' sounds scary but there's good news here, too.

Prices on new and used Chrysler cars will probably drop, at least for a while, on news the company is filing for bankruptcy.
    Photos

Fiat: Chrysler's Italian style
    Americans could see some fresh Italian faces as Chrylser's deal with Fiat takes shape View photosFind your next Car

DETROIT'S DOWNFALL
    New loans for car dealers - but will they help?
    Chrysler aftershocks to hit industry hard
    Speed of the essence: Chrysler lawyer
    Auto sales plunge, but outlook improves

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The word "bankruptcy" in headlines along with the name of the company that made your car - or a car you're thinking about buying - could send your blood pressure soaring.

Now relax. While, this may not be the best news you could have heard, it's far from the worst.

"I'm more reassured," said Jack Nerad, executive editorial director at the automotive data company Kelley Blue Book, "I think people should be reassured."

There's actually far more certainty regarding the future of Chrysler today than there was even a week ago.

With Chrysler continuing to operate, your warranty will still be intact and there will still be Chrysler dealers out there to service your car. There may be fewer of them in the future, as Chrysler has said it intends to reduce the number of dealers, but they will be there.

That's because, in the past few days, deals have been worked out with Chrysler's major debt holders, the United Auto Workers and the Italian automaker Fiat, which stands ready to enter its deal with Chrysler as part of bankruptcy proceedings.

What all this means is the company is not going to go belly up right now and, quite possibly, not in the foreseeable future. There are still significant risks for Chrysler but, on balance, the news is probably good for Chrysler and those who own its products.

Through the bankruptcy process and the deals it has already made with lenders and its unions, Chrysler will have cleared away a huge swath of problems.

That could ultimately leave Chrysler able to concentrate on things like better cars and trucks.

The Fiat deal will help a there, too, by giving Chrysler access to Fiat's fuel efficient small cars as well as engines and transmissions that can be used in Chrysler-designed products.

In the long term, there are still significant risks for Chrysler. It's not certain how well the partnership with Fiat will turn out. Chrysler's restructuring is not solely in the hands of Treasury Dept., a bankruptcy judge will have the final say. Still, Treasury's plan for the company's future will most likely hold.

If you're thinking about buying a Chrysler car or truck, one difference you will encounter is who finances your car. From here on out it'll be GMAC, not Chrysler Financial.

In the short run, a lot of consumers probably will be scared away from Chrysler showrooms. Many are likely to even avoid Chrysler's used cars.

"I've got to think that hearing 'bankruptcy' attached to a brand will diminish their value," said Nerad.

The change in value wouldn't be enormous, he said, only because there's been a cloud over Chrysler for a long time. That cloud will begin to clear as people realize that Chrysler isn't about to go away.

This means that, if you're thinking of trading in or selling a Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product, this wouldn't be the time to do it. Wait until things settle down a little more, when consumers get used to the idea that Chrysler has not gone bust.

For now, Chrysler is still here and has been given another chance to win back customers.