Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Toyota Tundra Vibration

jwise9jwise9 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Toyota
i have a 2005 double cab 4.7 2x2 i have been getting a vibration for some time now it was slight at first now it is very notisable at hiway speed when you move the shifter to n it will go away so it seems to be in the drive line new brakes and rotors new michelin tires could it be a u-joint or a carrier bearing has anyone had this problem

Comments

• Options
    nojarnojar Member Posts: 6
    I also have an 05 Tundra DC 4x4 that has had a vibration since it was new. It kind of resinates in and out and now that it has gotten worse it can be heard and also felt in the gas pedal. Kind of feels like going in and out over rumble strips. It is worse when I go down hill. I've been doing some research on this and if I find anything I will post it. Please do the same.

Take care.
  • Options
    roger2951roger2951 Member Posts: 2
    GOT THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY TOYOTA TUNDRA 2002. ALL STARTED WITH TIRE CHANGE 2 YEARS AGO. AFTER 30,000 MILES IT IS STILL DOING JUST LIKE YOUR. DID YOU EVER FIGURE IT OUT?
  • Options
    No, haven't figured it out yet. Taking it to a new dealer to have them check it out. The previous dealer said they could not feel or hear it. It is getting worse. If your problem started after you installed new tires, it could be the way they were balanced. I ran in to this problem a few years ago on my Tacoma. Went though numerous wheels and tires because of a bad vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel. Here is a good article to read about Toyota tire balancing. http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm I eneded up buying my own balancer and adapter plates. Best investment I ever made.
  • Options
    hirschlawhirschlaw Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tundra was having the same problem. I finally discovered it was the middle U-Joint on the rear drive shaft. Due for a shop visit on Saturday :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I will have to look into that.
  • Options
    phillipgophillipgo Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2003 tundra, and now a 2005 Tundra and they both have a shimmy at cruising speed. I would have thought after 2 years they would have figured it out.
    On the 2003, I put on new tires, new pads, rotors, and had it aligned. Didn't make a bit of difference. It had only 30,000 on it. The 05, I'll just live with.
    Bummer for such a nice vechile.
  • Options
    phillipqo

Take a look at this link I posted earlier. http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm I had the same problem with two previous Toyotas until I found out it was improper balancing. Adapter plates that center the wheels with the lugs not the hubs need to be used or you will never get a good balance. I tried different wheels and different tires and was at my wits end until I did a little research. Once I got a proper balance, my truck was as smooth as silk.
  • Options
    normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2006 DC 2 wheel drive. I have a bounce whenever I apply the brakes. Is that because of wheel balance or is it the ball joint thing? I bought the truck used but I was told that the recall was done in 2007. Any comments?
  • Options
    I know some of the Tundras had problems with the front brake rotors warping. I believe there was a recall on some of them. Kind of sounds like it might by your problem since it happens when you apply the brakes.
  • Options
    So did changing the middle u joint (which I believe is a cv joint right?) cure your problem. My dealer said my problem was in the front diff and after a full rebuild, it still has the same problem. How did you know it was bad? Mine seems ok. Doesn't seem to have alot of play. I appreciate the help.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.