Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Lifetime powertrain warranty?

oldold Member Posts: 13
edited July 2014 in Chrysler
I thought I submitted this question a couple weeks ago, but I can't seem to find my original post...my apologies for the double post if it's there.

Anyhow, bought a brand new 09 Grand Caravan, fully loaded.

Dealer told me I needed to take it to them for maintanence work, such as oil changes, etc. if I don't, Lifetime powertrain warranty will be void.
Told me to refer to warranty manual.

No where in the manual does it state I need to bring the vehicle to the dealer to for that. It only states I needed to bring to dealer for 5 year checkup.

I usually do my own maintanence, such as oil, brake, filters, etc.
If I continue to do so, will this void my warranty?

thank you.

Comments

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    When dealers feed me questionable information like this I usually ask them to put whatever statement I have an issue with in writing and then contact the parent corporation to verify the veracity of said statement.

So far at least, either the dealership has changed their tune as soon as I asked for the written statement, or the parent corporation sent a "clarification" on the issue that essentially said the dealership was full of you-know-what.

Keep us posted on how you make out on this issue. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    They are full of baloney but you should keep very good records along with receipts for all self done maintenance so some future dealer at claim time can't cause problems. That dealer just gave you a very good reason to NOT use his shop.

C.B.
  • Options
    oldold Member Posts: 13
    Ok thanks guys.

I believed them at first b/c I figured that is how Dodge/Chrysler "gotchas" on their lifetime warranty. they could make money on the maintanence part.

I did tell them I need to see that in writing and they kept telling me to refer to my warranty manual. I didn't have it on me, so I did look through it when I had the chance and no where in it does it state I need it maintained by the dealer.
    It just states I needed to follow the maintanence schedule it lists.
    I figure they were trying to pull one on me. If they didn't give me such a deal on the van itself I would purchased elsewhere. But thanks again :)
  • Options
    tftbox0067tftbox0067 Member Posts: 1
    Under federal guidelines, A warranty cannot require that you return to the same dealer for service work. If there is a requirement to return to the dealer you bought it from, then it it is a performance agreement, and the term warranty cannot be used. Warranty, service agreements, and performance agreements, are regualated by both Federal and State insurance regulations. A "warranty", implies that you can take the vehicle anywhere for service. (ie: any franchised dealer)
This discussion has been closed.