Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Forte 5-door

2»

Comments

• Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    edited April 2011
    I have been driving my 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT for almost 10 years. I've racked up almost 250,000 miles on the most reliable car I have ever owned. I still have the original rear struts, water pump, thermostat, alternator, and MANY other parts. I did have to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings, but that was after 200,000 miles. And I am a bit of a spirited driver, too, so I don't exactly take it easy on my cars (except that my cars get great maintenance). I currently get about 33 mpg highway, not bad considering the EPA number is 32 mpg. :)

I am making a move to a new car because I am just beginning to hear a little manual tramission whinning on cold mornings, I am going to need to replace the valve cover gasket soon, have a crack in the front windshield, recently developed a pesky vacuum line problem (only making engine run slightly rough right now and fuel economy is barely affected), and have some minor clunking noise on front passenger side that no one has been able to figure out (beginning to suspect front strut looseness or damage). I also need new tires soon, so decided it was time to say goodbye to my old friend. I will miss her and her nice leather seats!!

I have decided to replace my beloved Elantra GT with the 2011 Kia Forte 5-Door after reviewing hundreds of pages of car forums on at least 20 different models of compact cars. Here are my reasons:

(1) I wanted a hatchback, preferably one that did not look too much like a wagon. This eliminated the Hyundai Elantra Touring, which looks way too boxy for me; plus it is still using the old engine technology from 2001. The Forte is the best looking compact 5-door on the current market in my opinion, as well as one of the roomiest.

(2) I wanted a a good amount of standard features for a price around $18,000 or less. The Forte seems to be one of the few roomy compacts with a lot of standard features for under $18,000.

I will miss my leather seats, lumbar support adjustment, and audio system the most. My 2001 Elantra's stock audio system still sounds much better than the audio system in the 2011 Forte. I think that is Forte's biggest downfall. Even with the bass and treble boosted, it was pretty mediocre at best. I will also miss the leather-wrapped steering wheel of my Elantra. The steering wheel feel is the Forte's second shortcoming.

However, I used to install car stereos so I can improve the Forte's audio pretty easily. Now I just have to find some way to get the steering wheel wrapped with high-quality (durable) leather (or faux leather).

Hope I like the car for the long haul the same way I have loved my 2001 Elantra GT. :)
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    It's gratifying to read that you've gotten nearly 250K miles from your "lowly" Hyundai Elantra GT. Perhaps it'll quiet some of the Hyundai bashers out there.

I think you'll be happy with your decision to get a Forte EX 5-door. The 2.0-L engine has plenty of oomph, especially with the manual transmission. In spite of the torsion-beam rear suspension and the lack of a rear anti-sway bar, it handles much better than I expected in spirited driving, although it can be brutal on frost-heaved roads. I, too, had a 2001.5 Elantra GT liftback (with a Tiburon rear anti-sway bar and modified camber settings to mitigate understeer), and it was a very tossable and fun ride. My Forte EX sedan is just as enjoyable to drive, and its acceleration is noticeably quicker than the GT's.

Unfortunately, the 5-door wasn't available for 2010, nor was the 6-speed manual in the EX, otherwise I'd be driving what you'll be buying. The 5-speed manual has a few shortcomings, mainly a flat spot between 2nd and 3rd gears during maximum acceleration, and it forces the engine to turn at 3,000-rpm at 70-mph in 5th; presumably the 6-speed manual's gearing addresses these two deficiencies. But even at sustained highway speeds in the 70 to 75-mph range (with occasional higher bursts), I still get between 33 and 34-mpg. On one 200-mile round trip, mostly at 60-mph, I got over 38-mpg.

I'm not an audiophile, so the Forte's sound system is quite adequate for me, and the access to satellite radio and the ability to use flash drives loaded with thousands of songs is a huge plus--no more lugging around cases of CDs. Although I "suffer" from congenital scoliosis, in a year and a half I've never missed the adjustable lumbar support. I do miss the leather seats, primarily because static shocks when exiting the car were a thing of the past, but I'm now in the habit of grounding myself on the metal door frame with my forearm as I exit.

Since Kia is now on a par with Hyundai's technology and build-quality, you should have no problem getting similar reliability from your new Forte.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes, all of the Hyundai bashers out there should keep quiet! My Hyundai was the most reliable car I have ever owned - even better than a few different Mazdas I owned.

I have to retract my prior words about the steering wheel and audio system. Apparently the automatic Forte 5-door I test drove had a different steering wheel than the 6-speed manual I bought. The steering wheel on the automatic EX was rather hard with many small circular cut-outs in it - was not pleasant to steer! My steering wheel is actually smooth and comfortble - maybe the manual tranny car comes with some different finishing on the interior? The audio system sounds better than I remember from the test drive vehicle, too. I did adjust the bass and treble to boost +9 each and backed-off the midrange to -3, though, to get the sound I liked. Decent bass for no subwoofer, too!

Glad to hear about your gas mileage! I was nervous buying the manual transmission car because the automatic boasted a little higher EPA mileage. I prefer manuals for increased off-the-line acceleration, easier maintenance, and ability to "jump start" it on a hill if the battery goes dead. :)

So far, I think the handling is better than I expected (some reviews slammed the handliung of the EX), but I have not pushed it too hard since I am still within my break-in period. I am glad I got the EX over the SX because tires are going to be a heck of a lot cheaper (check tire prices on the tires on the SX model - ouch!) and gas mileage should be a lot better.

I do miss the gas mileage calculator that my 2001 Elantra had - you can only get that option on the automatic tranny version of the Forte. I am also going to miss the leather seats, like you said. Leather just feels so "free" where I don't feel stuck to the seat. Plus spills are easily cleaned-up on leather. I may spring for leather seats after a year or so - will cost about $900-1000 here for full leather front and rear seats (local shop will cover existing upholstery with stitched leather covering). By the way, I also ground myself with my forearm when I exit my Forte now - ha ha!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing good without the lumbar adjustment of the Elantra. I always kept my lumbar support at max and worried that I'd get uncomfortable without that adjustment on the Forte. I also miss the seat adjustment of the Elantra, as the Forte only allows for raising or lowering, where the Elantra would allow the front of the seat to be moved upward while the rear of the seat remained low - that was a great setting for driving as it gave great upper leg support. Time will tell!!

Thanks for responding! It was pretty cool to find someone else who went from a 2001.5 Hyundai Elantra to a Kia Forte! Enjoy!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to find the radio ID (ESN or SID) on the 2011 Kia Forte radio? You need this ID to figure out which SiriusXM packages are available. I am considering extending the 3-month trial package ONLY if I am able to purchase the A La Carte package. The rest of the packages are not worth the monthly expense, in my opinion.

Help please?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Simply dial your Satellite to channel 0 (zero) and the number will appear on the screen.
  • Options
    gigahzgigahz Member Posts: 4
    Has the total volume, with the seats folded, been announced yet? It looks like 19 with the seats up.
  • Options
    conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    for some reason it doesn't mention it on either the US or Canadian websites, but if you go one page back to #37 entry you will see I put in the measurements when the back seats are in the cargo position. Does this help?
  • Options
    gigahzgigahz Member Posts: 4
    Also has the GVWR been released? The dimensions help yes.
  • Options
    I would suggest you go to your local Kia dealer and check out the door tag for the GVWR for that vehicle.
  • Options
    fortenewbiefortenewbie Member Posts: 2
    Just bough (March 1st) a 2010 Kia Forte LX, just for the economy. After all I drive 120 miles a day (Northwest NY) and filling up was getting expensive with my Jeep Wrangler. (Average on dry road = 20-22 miles per Gallon - 15-18 mpg on 4x4).

In the past 2 months, I have tried different "ways" of driving and have averaged, so far 37-39 miles per gallon.(my credit card company is crying as I am not spending as much as before).

This last week, I decided to drive like a Floridian (no insult intended). Change gears at 2000rpm and "upping" from third to fifth (by-passing fourth) and keeping acceleration very slow. Still a little hesitation as the RPM falls to 1,100 RPM but slowly getting to speed (55mph). The result is that I drove 375 miles on 9 gallons (41.50 miles per gallons) Of course it takes the fun out of driving (but wallet feels better). If I do my commute using only Highways (70-75 mph), I still average 36-38 mpg.
    Good oomph in second gear and third (with a slight dead timing) but overall, good pick up even in fifth. The manual advises to change oil every 7,500 miles (or 12 months) but I'm kind of weary about this.
    Sound system is not Bose but does its job. Bluetooth is annoying with its "transfer complete" female robotic voice., but I kindof got used to it. (I still stall once in a while and the circuits have to "rearm' themselves I guess).

it's a car and for the price and its operation, it should fit a lot of budget conscious drivers.

Very good car with very good mileage per gallon.

Vincent
  • Options
    lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    'This last week, I decided to drive like a Floridian '.

Now now Vincent: In Florida we might be old, slow and dumb but even us can figure this out: If skipping a gear saves gas, car manufacturers would have saved money and effort by not including that gear in the first place.
    Also this is really funny: New York driver making fun of Florida drivers:)
  • Options
    I have driven almost 5,000 miles on my new 2011 Forte5. My biggest complaint is the drivers seat comfort. I wish there was a knob on the lower seat cushion where I could turn it and tilt the front of the seat cushion upward. My old 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT had that knob. It works wonder for long drives, giving both your legs and lower back good support.

Does anyone know is the SX version of the Forte has more adjustments for the driver's seat than the EX trim level? If so, I actually might consider buying a new driver's seat. It would be worth it since my legs and lower back get a bit tired on longer drives.
  • Options
    finally found out what the cargo capacity for the Forte 5 is with the 2nd row down, for some reason its not easily made available on websites on in brochures, or not that I could find, I ended up posing the question to Kia Motors and got a reply.

Its - 1252 L or 44.2 cu. ft. and of course a very flat floor and not much obstruction from the rear wheel wells as you can see in this photo I took.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    well, in that picture, it looks big enough to replace the van as our family truckster.

probably won't work quite so well in practice.

but for me, ideal size as a 2nd car that can transport the dog.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fortenewbiefortenewbie Member Posts: 2
    Well, 16K miles after 6 months of driving my Kia Forte 2010 (5 speed manual)

Absolutely no problem at all. I never have opened the hood. I don't even know how the engine looks like. 2 oil changes and a tire rotation (slight vibration though at low speed). Gas mileage still in the upper 30's, with a couple of 41.5 miles/Gal and one 42.6 miles/Gal, but otherwise 38-39 mpg week after week.

My trick:
    Don't exceed 2000rpm in First Second and Third gear, then switch up to Fifth. The car will pick up at 1300rpm and will very slowly accelerate to 2000rpm (55mph) or 2800rpm at 65mph. When decelarating, clutch to the floor, engine will go idle 800rpm and then pick up in Second or Third gear. I know, some "purists" will not recommend that, but the $$$savings are there.

I'm not too fond of the radio. Hard to hear with driver's window open and at max volume. Love the bluetooth and plugs for other electronic devices. (You can even record/download songs on your phone and have them play through Bluetooth). I will tend to agree with the paint quality. Some light scratches appeared out of nowhere on...the roof!!!

Comfort is all right. Panel is functional. Lots of space in the rear trunk.

Maybe one day, I'll drive this baby to Florida but I'll have to wait as this a bare-bone model with no A/C. Can't wait though ;)

Overall: Extremely satisfied

fortenewbie
  • Options
    forte52012ownforte52012own Member Posts: 1
    At what speed (apx.) does the 2012 Forte5 automatic shift (slow acceleration) both going up and when decelerating? I know there will be a different point for fast acceleration, but even then when that speed is reached, taking the foot off the pedal will allow the shift. I like to drive at a speed just above the shift point (or just below once the shift has occured). One mechanic said he "thought" these 5 points (going up) were: 12 - 18 - 24 - 32 - and 42mph but had no idea how much below these point it would shift back down. I would think that the top shift at least should be at a higher mph. GM gave this information on an older car I had and the Toyota I have shifts into "overdrive" at 48mph and goes back down at apx. 45mph.
  • Options
    I have some details on the Canadian 2014 Forte 5, just post your question if interested.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just leased a 2016 Forte5 LX to replace my 2013 Rio5, which was coming off lease in 3 months. The dealer gave me what I think was a great deal to turn in the Rio5 early, forgave the last 2 payments, and put me into the Forte5 for about $20 a month LESS than what I was paying on the Rio5, considering $220/year reduction in auto insurance and some other avoided costs. Nothing out of pocket.

I looked at several alternatives, including buying the Rio5 at end of lease, and looked into a lease on the outgoing 2016 Elantra and a Jetta S 1.4T with stick. No one came close to the deal from the Kia dealer. I like the Mazda3 and new Civic, but didn't get a quote on those as I know their leases aren't competitive and I wanted a lease.

I really like the Forte5. Much more car than the Rio5--smoother, quieter, roomier, peppier (2.0L 173 hp), and lots more features even though the only option on my car is floor mats. I got Steel Grey, which is a good match for the black/grey interior. I realize a mid-gen refresh is coming soon, which might be why I got such a good deal on my car, but I checked the details on the base 2017 Forte5 LX and it's not much different from the 2016. All the goodies seem to be saved for the higher trims.

My favorite feature is the Bluetooth, which works great. Everyone I've talked to so far using it has said something like, "It's so clear, I had no idea you're talking in your car!" Also like the nicely-padded armrests and center console--the Rio5 had hard plastic on the doors and no center console.

Here's what my car looks like (not my car, but it's just like this one).