Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wiring terminal on brake switch for 92 Lincoln Towncar

jude17jude17 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2014 in Lincoln
I was am in process of changing my brake switch on my 92 Lincoln Town car and noticed that the plastic that is on the wire terminal melted. Wondering why this happen, what I need to do next, and if I could put the new switch on without blowing the new switch. This is the second time in 2 yrs. I have had to replace the brake switch. First time for the melting of the terminal. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If prolonged illumination of the brake lights generates a hotter than ususal or designed intent of electric flow, perhaps a driver is unknowingly "riding the brakes".
  • jude17jude17 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Euphonium. Makes sense now.
  • lockwood9189lockwood9189 Member Posts: 5
    I HAVE A 92 LINCOLN TOWNCAR EXECUTIVE SERIES AND I NOTICED YESTERDAY THAT MY BRAKE LIGHTS WERE NOT WORKING. THE ONLY TIME THEY WORK IS WHEN I PRESS MY BRAKE PEDAL ALL THE WAY DOWN. WHAT CAN THE PROBLEM BE AND WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO FIX IT!! HELP
    I had that same problem with my Lincoln. It seems to be a common thing. You need a brake switch that is located on the back of your brake pedal. Have a good day!
    OK! THANKS! I GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP
    I LOCATED THE BRAKE SWITCH, BUT HOW DO I REMOVE IT AND REPLACE IT? MAYBE IF ANYBODY CAN GIVE ME GENERAL/ BASIC DIRECTION SO I CAN FIGURE IT OUT IT WOULD BE GREAT!
    Hello again Lockwood. Would be glad to help ya on this one. There is a plug to unplug off the switch and some sort of mounting device, like a cotter pin, to take off. Word of advice be careful not to break the cotter pin. Hope this helps! Have a good one!
    THANKS JUDE17! I FOUND THE PIN AND REMOVED IT WITHOUT BREAKING IT, NOW TO REPLACE THE SWITCH?? THERE ARE WIRES HOOKED ON TO IT SO I DNT WANT TO MESS THINGS UP, IVE NEVER DEALT WITH AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM ON MY CAR BEFORE. ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP
    Hi Lockwood, not sure if you have touched the wiring yet. But you will have to detach the wiring from it. You might want to get a new switch before you do it though. That way you can remember what wire attaches to the brake switch. Sorry didn't get back until now. Been a little busy lately. Hope this helps ya.
    THANK YOU FOR THE HELP JUDE17 TOTALLY APPRECIATED! I WILL GET THE BRAKE SWITCH AND GIVE IT A GO !! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE GREAT HELP
    Your welcome Lockwood! Glad I could help ya. Let me know how it turns out for ya. Have a good one!
This discussion has been closed.