Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Dodge ram idle problem Need help

rcramfan91rcramfan91 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Dodge
I have a 2001 dodge ram. 318 V8. idles very rough almost to the point of stalling and then revs itself up. does this over and over until it warms up about 10 minutes later. During this time the throttle hangs very badly aswell. I have done both oxygen sensors,cap and rotor,plugs and wires, cleaned the IAC solenoid and put on a new PCV valve which had some oil in it. cleaned out the throttle body, put in a new air filter. Ran through the expensive techron fuel cleaner. Its been put on the computer and came up with nothing. The only codes were Oxygen sensors which I replaced and the code went away. Fuel pressure has been check and it was perfectly normal. Ever when the sputtering and carying on was happening. Any ideas would be amazing.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Check the battery voltage. With engine running, battery voltage should be 14v, plus or minus 0.2v. The PCM is very sensitive to low battery voltage.
    Corkscrew
  • Options
    Checked that its running just a little over 14. battery was new in 10/09. Weird thing about it is all symptoms stop once truck is warmed up. When I replaced the PCV valve it had a little oil in it was told that not normal. Also the truck runs very low oil pressure and only has 94k miles on it.

Thanks
  • Options
    Have you performed a compression test? Low oil pressure could be a clogged pickup screen or the pump itself.
    Corkscrew
  • Options
    I havent actually done the test. but according to the gauge, its good/high when it first starts up which I know normally happens becase everythings cold. Which is when the idle problem is happening. Once it warms up though the oil pressure is horrible. Half way between rock bottom and 40. I was suprised to see that with only 94k on the motor. The screen and the pump can only be checked by pulling the oil pan off correct?

Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, you must pull the oil pan to check the pump and screen. If you do that, verify the pickup screen is tight as well as clean, as a loose screen will draw air into the system. The oil pump has 4 or 5 tolerances that must be met for the pump to work properly. Check the pump for scoring, scratching, or worn beyond specs. If you need these specs, I have them.
    My first reaction is oil in the cylinders, that's why I suggested a compression test. This will also give you a chance to read the plugs as well.
    Corkscrew
  • Options
    gabe11gabe11 Member Posts: 1
    This truck has idle fluxuation while in "park" tach goes from around 700--1500 no other problem never stalls and rpm drops to normal when shifted into drive, and it does not fluxuate when you come to a stop. ie....like at a stop sign. anybody else ever have this problem.. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.