Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The brake and gas pedals are to close together.

vid53vid53 Member Posts: 2
Has anyone else noticed when your foot comes up off the gas pedal you catch the foot on the brake pedal?

Comments

• Options
    bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63
    Not in my limited experience with a 2011 CXS. I find transitioning between brake and gas pretty easy. But I have smallish feet, size 10M. YMMV
  • Options
    e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    9 1/2 W, no problem yet.
  • Options
    yuhanliyuhanli Member Posts: 5
    Yes...11.5 feet here and I find it way to close. I only test drove this car once...so I will have to go back and test drive again. It worries me that in times of emergency, I might accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of brake or vice versa....scary!
  • Options
    I don't recall this being any different from the Malibu or some other vehicles, but then I might have smaller feet. I did note that the area where your left foot goes is much different. There was a platform, raised area, for your foot which might help with setting the proper distance for brake and accelerator. Also it extended more to the left and I find it mildly annoying that my foot gets forced inboard because they used that room for something else. It might even have been for safety reasons, I just don't know.
  • Options
    I think that raised area for supporting your left foot is called a "dead pedal". I had one with a rubberized cover on my 5-speed manual trans Honda. It not only provided a place to rest your left foot but it was proximate in depth to the clutch pedal, so it became a comfortable move for the left foot to engage the clutch. Without a clutch pedal, I think such a platform for the left foot is not necessary.

I'm in the midst of a long road trip and have found long freeway legs to be quite comfortable on the feet. Yes, there could be a bit more room to the left of the brake pedal for both feet/legs to stretch into but I have found very comfortable positions when gliding under cruise control.
  • Options
    I believe the one in the Malibu was covered. It was actually molded into the floor pan and then a vinyl covering as part of the carpet so it would not show wear I suspect.
    Either clutch or not, it helped set the distance for accelerator/brake combo. Also it served as a comfortable brace point for cornering although the suede leather was not slippery at all. The one on the Lacrosse is too far inboard to brace from on cornering. Also feels slightly restrictive for moving leg to left. And for me slightly uncomfortable to knee because I took a hard hit to the outside of that joint years ago.
    More room to the right of accelerator? Yes, but maybe they were thinking if it existed it might increase the chance of hitting the wrong pedal if you had to move your foot a variable distance. That is according to how far you moved your foot to the right if the space existed.
    Since this does not have the anti-fatigue seats that automatically take care of that for you it would be nice to have a bit more room to stretch while driving.
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't follow you. You talk about a molded, vinyl-covered resting spot in the Malibu for your left foot. But then there is a suede thing that wasn't slippery. Where was that? The "dead pedal" in the Honda I mentioned in my post provided a short transition for the left foot to the clutch pedal. It was a good place for the left foot during periods of active clutch work rather than keeping your heel on the floor for the next clutch need. Just to the right of that was space for stretching out to the floor board.

Yes, the area in the Lacrosse is a bit bulky and would have been better if reduced but I bet the engineers had another purpose for the space. (Same as the space consumed in the center console that keeps cups and bottles raised so you can't extend the armrest.) I've never had a vehicle with space to the right of the gas pedal.

It's nice to be comfortable while driving and I certainly have been on my long (1600 miles) road trip this past week. But I think too much comfort can relax a driver into complacency. I wouldn't want that.
  • Options
    I see I was not clear. The seats are suede leather. Your seat was not going to slide on the seat.
  • Options
    vid53vid53 Member Posts: 2
    I don't think i made my posting very clear. I took a 2011 Buick Lacrosse for a test drive and as i came to a stop sign i lifted my foot off the gas and caught my shoe on the bottom of the brake pedal on the way up. While driving i was very conscious of this happening again. Has anyone else noticed this before. To me this may be a deal breaker and make me not purchase this car.
  • Options
    I understood your original post quite well. As I replied then, I have had no problem with this happening. And now that I have lots more driving in the CXS under my belt I still have not had this problem. But you have to remember that not everyone fits into car interior configurations the same. The more-than-ample front leg room in the CXS provides amazing comfort, even for larger people, I would think. It would be too bad for you to miss out on the many positive features of this car. Take another road test. You might be happy you did.
  • Options
    I have noticed such on several different cars I was unfamiliar with over the years. I quickly adjust by making a mental note of it and adjusting accordingly. Only once did it ever get me a second time. I was wearing some really big hunting boots with lots of sole.
    Hope you can adjust to your needs.
  • Options
    rockyusa1rockyusa1 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed that when someone has said that their foot hit the gas instead of the brake they are obese, as we all know by setting in the seat they are made for the average person, not someone who is fighting their own thighs to transfer their foot from one to the other.

Should the auto makers create a wider seat and floor board with the foot feeds farther apart? Should the insurance companies charge obese people more because they have more of these cause related accidents than do "average size people," or is this just yet another cost we all must share because someone else doesn't care about their own health?