Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ram Pickups Real World MPG Values

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
Discussing the actual fuel economy of 2011+ Ram pickups.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

Comments

• Options
    lucaumpitslucaumpits Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a 2012 Ram 2500 diesel, I never haul anything and never had a diesel before, I can't find any info on MPG in these truck, any feedback? Thanks
  • Options
    rexford_lrexford_l Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins and G56 manual with 3.73 gears. I just got back from a 1800 mile road trip, and keeping it off the freeway, I averaged about 16.5 to 17. Once I got on the freeway, and picked up speed to the mid 70's mileage dropped to mid 15's. This was barefoot and only about 500 lbs of people/cargo in the cab. My average mileage is about 14.5 with 40% freeway and 60% city.
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I have a 2013 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab with the 8 spped auto. Really like it, we have been real world mpg is 17 to 2o all depending on roads and hills. The 5.7 has plenty of power, very comfortable.

farout
  • Options
    koffler22koffler22 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a new 2014 Ram with 6.7 Cummins. I have 1600 miles on the truck now and I'm MPG is 18.5 MPG. Truck computer says over 21 mpg, but I went 436 miles and it took 23.5 to fill. I have owned Ford Diesel's in the past and I'm very happy with the Ram so far.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    THats pretty good, how often to you have to fill the urea tank? I have heard that on some there is a 5 gal tank for some cars with the diesel.

IWe bought a 2013 Ran 1500 crew cab Big Horn, with the 5.7 and the 8 speed auto. We get consistantly almost 19.7 mpg on the open road, and arround where we live and we have lots of hills we get 18.5 arround here. We really like ours and its a great truck we have 12,300 miles on ours.

Have you heard that they are putting a 3.L VM diesel in the 1500 at dealers about Jan 14?
  • Options
    I have not had to fill the urea yet. The urea tank is still showing just under 100%. The dealership said about every oil change I will need to fill it. The urea tank is 8 gallons. When I picked up the truck it was under half full, the dealership added 5 gallons to fill.

I did not hear about the 3 L diesel in the 1500, but I have been hearing the rumors for the past 5 years.
  • Options
    You can go to allpar.com it keeps up on all Chrysler products. They have all the skinney on RAM's and even the test drive on the 1500 3. l diesel. I am not impressed with VM motorie engines. I had a 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8L VM diesel. it was in the shop 25 times in 16 months. Chrysler called me on Feb.16, 2007 and asked to buy it back as they had so many Liberty's with the VM diesel that just were not doing good at all. But now Fiat has bought out VM so I expect to see more of these engines in Chrysler products. I am pleased with how Fiat has improved the vehicles Chrysler makes, so I am pretty sure they have improved the VM eggines as well.

Do you have a 2500 or 3500 Ram? Wuth that Cummings you should be able to tow just about anything!
  • Options
    I have the 2500 crew cab with 3.42 auto 6 speed trans. It says it is rated to tow 17800 lbs. My boat is only 5000 lbs. but I want to get a fifth wheel at 11000 lbs. and pull both of them.
  • Options
    our RAM has the 3:21 gear ratio and can tow only 6,500. That is what is coming out of the factory fro that 8 speed auto. I don't tow anything and if I did it would be less than that. Iread they may soon add a 3.55 soon or maybe already have, but defeats the mpg for the 8 speed.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729

I've got 15k miles on my '14 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 6'4 box 4x4 with Hemi/8speed 3.21 gears. Hand calculated gas mileage has averaged 15 mpg since new. That includes towing which is about 10mpg towing my 7k lb boat and lots of in town driving and a brutal winter.

Just got back from a 2,300 mile trip to Florida and averaged 17.7 overall. Got 19.2 down there driving 80-85mph and 17.2 back. Drove through several storms and had a head wind most of the way back. Overall not bad. One thing I like with the 3.21 gears is the the truck has long legs. 85 mph is like 1900 rpm, so gas mileage doesn't drop like my previous full SUVs did.

• Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926

New 2014 Ram Big Horn 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70 eight-speed transmission, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20-inch tires. First tank 23.2 mpg; 2nd tank 20.9 mpg, 3rd tank 21.6 mpg. Varied driving, some hills, mostly rural roads and around town. A little expressway driving. Used air conditioning one day. All hand calculated MPG. Extremely smooth drive train, exceptionally quiet interior.

• Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    I finished a 5,380 mile trip from LA to Chicago and back with 12 or so stops along the way, including five days driving in Chicago, two in Denver, two in Albuquerque, and three days in that tough Kalamazoo traffic. ;-) I averaged 58 mph and 24.2 mpg. Most open highway driving was 70—80, depending on the limit. Most city driving sucked.

In the big cities, the parking assist and rear camera were lifesavers. The Nav system worked well, and seemed pretty up to date, but there were times I wished for my Garmin NUVI. The Sirius/XM traffic app was next to worthless.

I have a BackFlip bed cover, which may have helped the mileage a bit, but I had almost a thousand pounds of cargo under it at the start of the trip and returned with 500 different pounds of cargo.

2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7, Quad Cab