Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Replace tires on 1999 Forester

bluefireangelbluefireangel Member Posts: 5
I have a '99 Forester L with the standard 205 60R15 tires that need to be replaced soon. I have a set of 225 70R15 tires available to me. I know that they are overall larger than the original. My question is, even though they are larger, since they are all the same size relative to each other, can I use them as replacements for the old 205 60R15?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited March 2012
    OEM size was 205/70R15 and 215/60R16, I believe.

225/70 is a *LOT* bigger than 205/60, but I think you may have the original size incorrect.

Comparing 225/70 to 205/70, you have a tire that is 20mm wider, almost an inch. My concern would be rubbing the base of the rear spring mount on the back tires, and maybe even the fronts at full steering lock.

Are the 225s mounted on rims that you could use, or would you have to pay to have them mounted? I'm wondering if you can test fit without any expense.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited March 2012
    I agree. 225/70 is MUCH larger than 205/60. If 205/60 is the stock size, these potential replacements just won't fit. Not only are the tires nearly an inch wider (appx 3/8" wider on each side), which might actually fit, they are 2.72 inches taller, which is well over an inch of radius, meaning that your tires will be over an inch closer to the wheel openings (front, back, top, etc). In addition, they would put your speedometer off by a full ten percent, meaning that when you're driving 60 mph, your speedometer would read 54. After driving a true 36,000 miles, your speedometer would have recorded only 32,431 miles.

Even though they will fit on the rims, they are more than likely just too big for the car in stock form. On the plus side, if you did squeeze them in there, you would have quite a bit more ground clearance! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    bluefireangelbluefireangel Member Posts: 5
    I'm doing the tire sizes by memory so I may be off on the middle numbers. I haven't yet tested fit because the potential replacements are on other rims and even if the bolt pattern fit, I'd probably have them remounted on the original rims.
    I know that the spedometer and odometer would be off. What I'm more concerned with is the AWD. Will I mess up the AWD or something else by using the 225 tires?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Regarding the AWD, it won't likely affect it as long as all four tires are the same size. If you need to use a spare at any time, though, it could be a bit of an issue (assuming stock spare) if used for any appreciable length of time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    You should most concerned about the tires rubbing. That's a potential safety issue - as in sudden blowout - life threatening.

Don't bother to go any further. This is a terrible idea.