Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Bluetooth phone issue

vincergvincerg Member Posts: 7
Hello too all:

On my 2013 Outback there is a Bluetooth phone option w/ the Nav system. I notice that when the car is moving the phone picture is light grey & not useable. When I stop at a light or stop sign the monitor brightens & the phone is useable. If I stop moving again it dims out. Is there a safety feature that has addressed the phone issue so as not be able to use it while driving? Thanks for any help.

Vince

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I don't have one (insert big smiley face here!), but my understanding is that you cannot interact with the touchscreen display while the vehicle is in motion. I think the thought here is that the person should be driving the car....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Passenger seats have sensors nowadays for the smart airbags, I don't see why these can't be used to allow Nav input while in motion, since the co-Pilot should be taking on those tasks.

I had a loaner once and we decided to change desinations while on a major highway, there was no way I was going to pull over. My wife could have entered the new destination, but we were locked out.

Dumb.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Sure, but then the driver could do it too. Manufacturers don't want any liability for crap like that. Around here, people are strung up on second-degree murder charges when they cause a fatal crash while driving distracted due to electronic devices. Not to say that's not warranted given the drivers' flaunting of their responsibility in such instances, but "victims" look for deep pockets, and if they can come up with a reason to blame a deep pocket, regardless of how far-flung, they'll do it. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We used Google Maps on a smart phone instead. With a solo driver that's even worse.

I get it, though. Litigious society.
  • Options
    cmessmorecmessmore Member Posts: 1
    I do agree with the passenger should be able to interact with the navigation. The PROBLEM I'm having right now is that my Handsfree won't pick up my text messages. The LG Spectrum (Verizon) & the Navigation system are paired. The hands free calling/answering work just fine. But message retrival won't work. I do know it is suppose to work with Android. Any helpful information is appreciated.