Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

200k would you buy it

svtclubsvtclub Member Posts: 3
theres 99 LTC i was thinking about buying it looks good rides no obvius problems but it has 200k on the miles is it worth the risk at 1500 dollars

Comments

• Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    need more information and facts about this car.
  • Options
    svtclubsvtclub Member Posts: 3
    that the thing i dont know much about it it looks almost perfect as of now it rides amizing still no electrical issues no check engine light are ltc known for going over 200k and for only 1500 is that too risky
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Depends. If losing 1500 is not a major loss to your budget or income, take the risk. If you do, change all the fluids including the tranny by dropping the tranny pan and replacing the filter. We have a '94 with 154,000 & it runs great. Intend to keep it. Good Luck. :)
  • Options
    bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    Yes Panthers are known to go much more, I've sold 2 of mine with over 250k still running strong, but so much depends on how it was maintained. If you think it's nice and tight, why not? Worst case it's heavy and scrap prices are up :D

Pete
  • Options
    jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Also, try to find out how the car was driven. For example, 200k highway miles is not as hard on the engine as 200k city miles where the engine would be idling a lot but not racking up the miles. Good luck.
  • Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    I have found that Town Cars with 200k on them may have issues with: ball joints, water pumps (the blades start getting thin on the impeller), rear air bags and associated pump, leaking power steering pumps, shuddering transmission, and A/C blend door actuator. Unless you have some tools, can do a little work on cars and have the time, buying one with 200k, I would not recommend.