Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Brake Problems

2»

Comments

• jfisher04jfisher04 Member Posts: 1
    I called Toyota's customer assistance line. I was hung up on twice because according to the recorded message they had too many calls so I would have to call back. Then the phone went dead.. I then called again and got put on hold for 2 hours and 8 minutes. I was calling because I had just come from the dealership for the accelerator pedal and floor mat recall. They told me that my 2007 Camry with just 29,700 mile on it had bad break pads and rotors and I need to spend over $900 to have the breaks repaired. I told the dealership I need to talk with someone at Toyota. They gave me the customer assistance number to call. After I reached a representative I was told they would look into it and get back to me tomorrow. Because I did not receive a call back I went on the web and found a Toyota technical service bulletin saying that the 2007 Camry had bad break pads that would cause premature wear. It said do not tell the customers about this unless they complain. I called Toyota again; this time waited 1 hr for someone to answer. They said that the customer service bulletin T-BR007-07 was not for me but for the dealerships. I said well is says that the break pads installed in my car we defective and should be replaced, She said, that is only if you complain. I said, well I am complaining. Then I asked to talk with a supervisor. She said that was impossible today I would have to wait till Monday. I said, I have a car that is dangerous to drive, and I want to resolve the issue today. She said that is impossible. I said I will call back and ask to speak to a supervisor, she said no one will let you talk to a supervisor.

To say I am upset is an understatement. The car company has an internal document stating that my break pads are defective, but never tells me. I was just lucky that the service technician looked at the breaks when rotating my tires and discovered the problem. I and I and my family could have been injured or killed. We could have killed others. Toyota won’t even let me talk with someone to resolve this issue. They said I could go the dealership and talk to the customer relations manager. I did that and was told he is not in, and is not expected to be in for some time.

I am in disbelief and how reckless Toyota is with it customers. And I am very concerned about how I can drive this car. What else is wrong that they are not telling me about?? If you have any suggestions on how I can resolve this situation I will very much appreciate it.
    :sick:
  • tini56tini56 Member Posts: 1
    @ JFisher- let me know the outcome of this. I have an 07 with 21K miles on it and yesterday rear ened someone because my car failed to stop while having 10ft of distance between cars. My ABS kicked in and i have ceramic pieces of break pedals or something on my floor mat. not sure if it's pads or what.

thanks!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Finally had an issue...my rear right wheel starting squealing badly. Dealer tells me its the squeal pads--took it apart and the rear pads were shot, and the rotors were a little torn up. My car has 70k miles--so I really can't complain.

About $420 for new pads and resurfaced rotors. Ouch, but...its the first time I've ever had to put money in the car, other than they crappy Bridgestones that worn out at 24. (The OEM Michelins have been on ever since--I don't like them, but they've had a long life.)
  • hch2008hch2008 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have had this problem wheh I bought it new. I have just a little over 30,000 miles and have had it checked numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong. It happens sporadically even when driven for a while. But mainly backing out of my driveway in the mornings. Now my warranty has expired so they will probably find the problem and I will have to pay for it to get it fixed. Go figure........
  • planet1planet1 Member Posts: 1
    My car started to make some sounds like what you have but my condition is only when I press the brake pedal. My car has 101521 miles but it's in excellent
    Mechanic shape. I did noted that the brake fluid was down from the full mark
    And I have no leaks? I added to the full mark but stills the same.
    Went to the local dealer They had it for a day, the service writer told me that
    They would bleed the system to see if that would fix the issue.
    I pick up my car ! No more noise so far. Let's see if that did the job.
  • margaz3margaz3 Member Posts: 1
    I want to change the brake pads for my TCH, but I want to make sure that its the same will other vehicles.
  • hybridowner2hybridowner2 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. It cost me over $600 to replace my rotors and brake pads. I encountered a very violent vibration while braking on a downhill mountain grade. At the time I thought the brakes would fail under the vibration (shook the entire car and felt very violent at the steering wheel). Immediately I went to a Toyota Dealership. Since the repair it brakes smoothly (please note that I understand the feel of braking on a Toyota Hybrid) and I have had no further issues... tire wear has also extended considerably. Besides having to pay for this repair the car has performed well.
  • docxetasdocxetas Member Posts: 1
    WATCH OUT NOW!!! Toyota Camry Hybrid Anti-Lock Mechanism (computer controlled) will FAIL WITH NO WARNING!!! Toyota service people will deny hearing of this problem!! BALONEY!!! Happened to me on my 2008 and a friend with a 2007 same thing happened. Now what are the odds huh?
    Your brakes will lock up and the car will move BUT... you will have to rev the engine - the tow guy had a heck of a time! BTW, the repair is over $2000.00
    YES!!! $2000.00 because they must replace the whole unit and not the little tiny computer part inside... WOW what a scam huh? :sick:
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Troll Alert.....
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Thanks!
  • rgbizzrgbizz Member Posts: 1
    Stability control light comes on when braking hard at a stop light and then it takes the car a couple of seconds to start when I press on the gas. I had the car (Camry Hybrid 2012) checked today at the dealer and they said that is normal with all hybrid cars. Can anyone confirm that? I can reproduce it just by pressing hard on the brake pedal while stopped. This can be unsafe since the car does not respond for a few seconds after that...

I am wondering if this is indeed a "normal" behavior. It seems the be a firmware bug, it does not make any sense for stability control to be activated when stopping the car on a dry road

Thanks
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    There is a possibility that the stability control light coming on is due to low brake fluid. At least that would be easy to check. We had a 2009 Maxima that slowly leaked the brake fluid and when it got to a certain point, the stability control light would come on and sometimes stay on. Don't know about why the engine has trouble starting after the light comes on.
  • sheidasheida Member Posts: 1
    My car began to make noises coming from the right side which took 5-10 minutes to subside. I showed it to the dealer and they said it was the ACTUATOR but it didn't do it long enough to be worried. They recommended me to come back after it makes the sound for over 20-30 minutes. I was back within a week, when all the lights (including ABS) went on while driving back from San Francisco. Now they are saying it's $2700 just to pay for the actual part + the labor. I am negotiating with them. Any suggestions?
  • hlovellhlovell Member Posts: 1
    In response to : sheida
    I had the same problem (Replace ABS Actuator) with my 2007 Camry Hybrid (54,403 Miles). The problem was diagnosed at a local Toyota Service Dept. Cost quote from Toyota was $2700+Labor! I declined Toyota's repairs! I went to the Internet search engine, Google, and typed in Toyota Part Number off of the engine to see other available sources. The cost ranged from $600 to $1700. I then went to eBay and did a search for the part. I found a seller for $450 and offered $300+shipping to Hawaii. I was the only bidder since the part had a small crack but the seller guaranteed the part. I got the part within a week and installed it yesterday in 25 minutes. Only 1 mounting bolt on each side, and 6 intake ports at the top of the unit. I am not a mechanic but I did research on line about removal and installation of the ABS Actuator. The job was completed for $347.00! After test driving, all warning lights have cleared and that annoying buzzing stop!!! Don't let Toyota rip you off!

harry
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    When did your car start making the noise? before driving? during or when it was parked? Did any warning lights come on at first? What does the actuator do?
  • g1822g1822 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 TCH and all the brake warning lights went on and the message "Check VSC System" came on as well. I waited 2 weeks to get an appointment with the dealer and when I took it in today they said I also needed an actuator. They are quoting me something like $4,400. I like Harry live in Hawaii and I don't know what to do. My car is barely 5 years old. I shouldn't have to be shelling out this kind of money. I'm hoping Harry sees this message and can help since he lives in Hawaii too.
  • ujiriujiri Member Posts: 1
    To Harry, and anyone who knows. .

I am so happy hearing this, with so much insight from you. Sheida thanks for bringing this up. I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, limited for 2 years now. I was travelling at about 100km/h and came across a pothole. Instinctively, I applied brakes. Immediately the ABS, VSC, caution lights came up on the dashboard and remained. On visiting my mechanic for probable brake pads change, thinking that the pads were worn, it was discovered that the calipers cylinders was in a stuck out position. This was serviced and brake pads replaced, but lost effective braking when brakes is applied after this. There came the consistent hissing sound from under the hood on the passenger side that would never go away once the gear is engaged. I have tried with a Toyota service centre scan tool to clear this without successs. On my own, I decided to crack open a little bit the 4 lines connected to the top of the ABS actuator pump. I find out that when I press the brakes, only 2 lines pours out hydraulic brake fluid. Could it be that the problem I have is a bad actuator pump that needs replacement or does it have to do with some sensors or ecu? Please someone help me.... Rgds
  • 89fj6289fj62 Member Posts: 20
    I am guessing you are correct about the actuator pump. My son had problems with his brakes on his Rav-4 and had to take car to a Toyota garage to have the abs bled by computer hookup. It may be the same for you. If you want to research your problem you can buy a 2 day subscription to TIS ( Toyota information system ) It costs around $10 but contains all the information available for your vehicle.