Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Wiper blades toast?

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in General

Maybe this will sound like a better idea to you.

"Aside from increasing driver visibility, McLaren's wiper-less windshield will eliminate the added weight and energy consumption of windshield wipers, helping tighten lap times at the track and increase fuel economy on the streets.

Nonetheless, McLaren's wiper-less windshield will likely have to jump some hurdles before it can ever be offered in the U.S. As Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 104 reads, “Each vehicle shall have a power-driven windshield wiping system that … [has] at least two frequencies or speeds.”

Blasts Of Sound Waves May Make Windshield Wipers Obsolete (HuffPo)

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I think I'm a bit skeptical. Even aircraft have wipers. I'd think that say driving in heavy snow would result in too much moisture build up obscuring vision compared to a wiper. I'm dubious that sound waves could keep up. Then I'd also wonder if blowing these waves frequently on a car somewhere where you use wipers a lot might over time affect the windshield and/or it's seals and adhesive integrity? Wonder if those sound waves might do a job on someone using a hearing aid? You can get some of them to squeal a bit in drive by wire vehicles.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Maybe they'll scare the moose and deer off the roads (and make every dog within a half mile howl). :D