Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Care Extended Warranty looks useless, is it?

skadarskadar Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Honda
Just bought a 2014 Odyssey and I have been researching the Honda Care Extended Warranty. I was thinking it was smart to buy it, but looking at the contract... it looks useless! Here are the items NOT COVERED:

"IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
A. NEW, PRE-OWNED, CERTIFIED ADDITIONAL COVERAGE AND SENTINEL 3/45:
Parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid vehicles); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; head pipes; tailpipes; catalytic converter; mufflers; hangers; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket and related fastening hardware); fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system
wear items such as drums/rotors or shoes/pads; clutch disc; clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass; mirror glass; body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers); hood; fenders; doors; rear hatch; trunk lid; grille; panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original vehicle color only); bumpers; molding s; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); squeaks; rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; fl oor mats; electronic/audio accessories; navigational and security systems and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/
AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision."

So much for "bumper to bumper". Does this warranty cover ANYTHING that will actually break and get fixed? Has anyone actually used this warranty? What was your experience?

Comments

• Options
    skadarskadar Member Posts: 2
    I am considering creating my own extended warranty and forgetting about the, apparently, crappy Honda Care warranty.

I'm going to deposit the $1200 I would have spent on an 8-year $0 deductible warranty and automatically deposit $100 per month in that account for as long as I own the car. Therefore, at the 3-year mark I will have $4800 in this account ear-marked for repairs. If I need repairs, I'll have the cash on hand. If I don't use it, I get to keep it.
  • Options
    ck_in_cack_in_ca Member Posts: 6

it depends on how often you drive and how long you plan to keep the car.

in my experience, some component always goes out. that's why i bought the plan too.

the warranty does not cover disposable/wear-and-tear parts like hoses, wires, tires, clamp and handles. i believe it does cover expensive items like engine parts, electronics, window/door motors, which are expensive if they do require replacement.

many times, if you have to replace any of those things (even once), the warranty already paid for itself.

hope that helps!