Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Looking for recommendations on a car for work. Comfort! My body hates me.

badtoyota805badtoyota805 Member Posts: 2

Actually there are a few other requirements. Presently I have a 2013 Toyota Camry SE. When my 2004 Cadillac Deville was totaled, I thought I'd be smart and get a reliable car with good gas economy. The Camry seems to fit the bill, but how I hate the miles that I drive.

Here's what I use the car for. I travel for work, so dependability is nice to have...though the repair shop doesn't scare me. I get paid by the mile so again it's nice to not have a gas guzzler (Jeep or Pilot). I also drive city and highway. Spend a lot of time sitting and waiting as well as stop and go with the engine running. Gas mileage on the Camry is about 28 mpg overall. Should get between 25 & 35, I think off the top of my head. Also, I live in Upstate NY so All Wheel drive is helpful, though front wheel drive is OK, works most of the time. I have to have decent room for 4 passengers and a decent trunk/storage area.

What I have had in the recent past and pros/cons.

The Camry as mentioned above, good gas mileage and reliability - seat is major discomfort, ride is bouncy/harsh. without the comfort issues, it would be great.

2004 Cadillac Deville. Good comfort, decent gas mileage, enormous trunk & space. Was in the shop a bit much, not major though. Was a tank and was solid in the accident. Didn't want another one when it came time, so that's out.

2008 Toyota Prius, this car was more uncomfortable than the Camry, weird quirks on take off from start...to decrease slipping on ice/snow, etc. the engine would drop power to almost zero. Not a good feeling when pulling into traffic. Would not buy again.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica, was great in snow, good comfort, kind of blah interior, rough engine. Overall OK, wish I would have kept it but with gas going to $4.50 a gallon, seemed like the right move. SUV seats seem to be better for my back.

Thanks for hanging with me so far. So based on the criteria below, please feel free to offer any recommendations.

Looking for something that is COMFORTABLE - this is the driving force as I approach 50 with 10 more years of work to go (as well as family transport - that's at least 5). I'd also like something that is enjoyable or fun to drive - if I'm in the car for 5+ hours a day, I might as well love it. Reliability and gas mileage aren't as important at this time. Just looking to that as a consideration, what may make the difference between two choices. And lastly, I have a Camry type budget and do not mind buying used.

Much appreciated. BT805

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

You sound like a Buick candidate to me! A full sized Buick!

• Options
    badtoyota805badtoyota805 Member Posts: 2

Yeah, Looked into the Lesabre (older)/Regal (newer) line. Not a bad idea, might have to revisit that.